2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sergio is not happy

tgreenwood11

I watched 10+ hours today and while the greens did not look great, I did not see putts bouncing off line and they seem to roll pretty dang true. Several guys, Michelson included, commented that the 2 to 3 foot putts were the toughest because you had to commit to the putt and hit it.
Sergio...well he didn't like Augusta either. So what. I think any player who gets the mindset that there is something wrong with the course that everyone else is playing has just about killed his chances of winning.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Sergio complaining news? Has he done anything else throughout his career?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1434678052' post='11781150']
I'm an old guy, so I don't really get Twitter. If he has a complaint, man up and do it in a presser. Tweeting or whatever it's called seems a backdoor way to express an opinion.
[/quote]

+1. He should have said it into one of the USGA's microphones. Let 'em have it. What are they going to do, ban him from future US Opens? No way! This ain't Augusta. This is USA, where last I checked people are allowed to criticize.

The best way to express your personal frustrations is to use twitter and broadcast it to the world. I don't know what people are thinking... stop using twitter. Sergio is saying what others may say in the locker room, but are smart enough to not broadcast it

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I dunno why people get so upset about a little burn out on a golf course? It's like the high water marks as described by Hunter S Thompson (rip). Are we nearing the apocalypse because superintendents realize they shouldn't squander our most precious resource in order to make a course play worse? It's not a park, folks. A little brown is okay.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1434689985' post='11782752']
I dunno why people get so upset about a little burn out on a golf course? It's like the high water marks as described by Hunter S Thompson (rip). Are we nearing the apocalypse because superintendents realize they shouldn't squander our most precious resource in order to make a course play worse? It's not a park, folks. A little brown is okay.
[/quote]

it's not a little brown, it's baked with crappy greens. they will likely water the crap out of course all week to prevent it getting away from them.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1434690181' post='11782764']
[/quote]

it's not a little brown, it's baked with crappy greens. they will likely water the crap out of course all week to prevent it getting away from them.
[/quote]

I don't think so. I trust they had a plan although you may know much more than the USGA. You are on GolfWRX.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1434689985' post='11782752']I dunno why people get so upset about a little burn out on a golf course? It's like the high water marks as described by Hunter S Thompson (rip). Are we nearing the apocalypse because superintendents realize they shouldn't squander our most precious resource in order to make a course play worse? It's not a park, folks. A little brown is okay.[/quote]

It's not a little brown. Sure it is a resource but handled responsibly golf courses are stewards of water treatment. Why do courses charge so much? Does Chambers Bay charge $300 to the public to not use water?

The USGA has no interest in the long term wellbeing of this course. They pay for the privilege to do whatever they need to have the course play as they want it to for the week. If a course ends up having to replace turf, that's all part of the cost of business.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1434690181' post='11782764']
[/quote]

it's not a little brown, it's baked with crappy greens. they will likely water the crap out of course all week to prevent it getg away from them.
[/quote]

Do you really think this isn't exactly the way the USGA wants it to look/play? They haven't been doing anything but monitoring/watering/mowing for oh, about two years, now. It's fescue. This is what fescue does. Pinehurst had quite a of bit brown last year. I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

The greens are rolling true. I heard several players make that comment on Tuesday.

IMHO, it's a refreshing change of pace from the typical WingedMontBeachEltine courses. Sergio is Sergio. He tends to speak his mind, even if he doesn't think too much before he does it.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Maybe he'd be in a better mood if he ate some fried chicken. I love chicken. And you get the side of mashed potatoes with gravy too, maybe some corn.. i'm hungry now. THANKS Sergio... I'll send you a tweet about it.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

You guys can knock on Sergio all you want, but how you feel about him as a person does not negate what he is saying:

I've lived in Seattle since 1993 and played Chambers multiple times. The fact of the matter is the greens have ALWAYS been suspect at the course, which is basically why they have spent years trying to get them into "Open" shape, but alas, they are not.

Sure, Twitter sucks and people generally just need to stop complaining about stuff, but the greens really are not ready for major championships. With that said, today was awesome and really looking forward to the next 3 rounds.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1434691016' post='11782818'][quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1434690181' post='11782764']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think so. I trust they had a plan although you may know much more than the USGA. You are on GolfWRX.[/quote]

Per Mike Davis's press conference, they did water the crap out of them wed night.

The greens do look like crap. In addition to Sergio - Rory, Montgomery, and several others have said the same thing. I am sure they are all thinking it.

[quote name='SteelPride' timestamp='1434694769' post='11783014']
You guys can knock on Sergio all you want, but how you feel about him as a person does not negate what he is saying:

I've lived in Seattle since 1993 and played Chambers multiple times. The fact of the matter is the greens have ALWAYS been suspect at the course, which is basically why they have spent years trying to get them into "Open" shape, but alas, they are not.

Sure, Twitter sucks and people generally just need to stop complaining about stuff, but the greens really are not ready for major championships. With that said, today was awesome and really looking forward to the next 3 rounds.
[/quote]

poana is a weed that courses should be trying to get rid of... not water. they will never get those greens in true bent grass like championship shape ever. yes, you save water. and yes, it sucks to putt on it.

the usga recognizes that water consumption to courses is a big threat to the game, especially as far as the ball travels, requiring larger courses. they have been pushing this experimentation of low water usage and grasses that need less water for a while now. yes, you save water, but the quality of the course also can be threatened.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='RickKimbrell' timestamp='1434683792' post='11782222']
I watched 10+ hours today and while the greens did not look great, I did not see putts bouncing off line and they seem to roll pretty dang true. Several guys, Michelson included, commented that the 2 to 3 foot putts were the toughest because you had to commit to the putt and hit it.
Sergio...well he didn't like Augusta either. So what. I think any player who gets the mindset that there is something wrong with the course that everyone else is playing has just about killed his chances of winning.
[/quote]

You must of been watching a different tournament or you weren't watching very closely. In the first hour numerous putts bounced and bobbled off line.

The greens are horrible. And it's not just Garcia complaining everyone seems to have negative opinion about them. Even the ones that played well and Garcia did play well (he is only Ev). They just aren't as direct as Garcia is.

It's the US Open, one of the best tournaments in the world, and the greens are worse than at my home course.

Somebody voiced a complaint - oh sweet baby jesus - let's throw him to the lions and give him ten thousand lashes.

Honestly, do you want your golfers to have ZERO personality and just walk about like robots and give monosyllabic answers in pressers - oh of course not because that's what Tiger does and you rip him for not showing enough personality or emotion.

"You can't win on Wrx" should be a new tagline.

[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1434681087' post='11781742']
I'm on like my tenth hour of coverage today and I don't think I've seen a single putt really knocked off line. They're very fast downhill and really slow up, but the best players in the world should be able to figure that out.

No, they don't look good, but solidly hit putts go in and weak, tentative ones don't.

When the greens are crappy, as usual, at the British, not one European will open his mouth.
[/quote]

I have had the good fortune to play a number of times in Scotland and a handful of those rounds have been at St Andrews. Greens at the British are not crappy at all. Perhaps once or twice over the years, they have not been great but not in any proportion greater than seen in the U.S. St Andrews, speaking from my personal experience, have some of the greatest greens I have ever putted on. They putt true, are fast and not all bumpy like you get on so many green complexes that have poanna.

When greens are bumpy, it is always a bit of a guessing game and makes it frustrating, especially if you are the type of putter that likes to die it at the hole. I am not a professional and will not speak for them but to me, it is not always prudent to be aggressive on a putt and hence, when lag putting, they can really bounce around. I saw some of that on the highlights from yesterday.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1434706705' post='11783354']
[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1434681087' post='11781742']
I'm on like my tenth hour of coverage today and I don't think I've seen a single putt really knocked off line. They're very fast downhill and really slow up, but the best players in the world should be able to figure that out.

No, they don't look good, but solidly hit putts go in and weak, tentative ones don't.

When the greens are crappy, as usual, at the British, not one European will open his mouth.
[/quote]

I have had the good fortune to play a number of times in Scotland and a handful of those rounds have been at St Andrews. Greens at the British are not crappy at all. Perhaps once or twice over the years, they have not been great but not in any proportion greater than seen in the U.S. St Andrews, speaking from my personal experience, have some of the greatest greens I have ever putted on. They putt true, are fast and not all bumpy like you get on so many green complexes that have poanna.

When greens are bumpy, it is always a bit of a guessing game and makes it frustrating, especially if you are the type of putter that likes to die it at the hole. I am not a professional and will not speak for them but to me, it is not always prudent to be aggressive on a putt and hence, when lag putting, they can really bounce around. I saw some of that on the highlights from yesterday.
[/quote]

Having played The Old a few times plus several of the other St Andrews tracks, the greens are always true - they may sometimes be a bit fluffy for visitors - but they aren't ever bumpy.The guy is confusing the bumpy fairways - when a solid drive down the middle can catch a mound and shoot the ball off into the long stuff. And plenty of pro's moan about that, especially Americans who aren't used to links golf/

Man slated for saying what everyone knows and can see shock.

The 1st was terrible, some others just poor, almost expect to see a windmill in the middle of one. A tournament of this stature deserves better and I have no issue with anyone calling things as they see them, especially when it's so blindingly obvious. The huge slopes alone should be a good defence, no need for a biscuit on top to make the 5 footers twice as tough. It really is a testament to how good these guys are that several shot under par but I fear fro how the rest of the week will pan out, especially later in the afternoon rounds.

[color=#000080][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][b]Driver - Cobra Fly Z
Fairway - TM M2
Hybrid - Nickent 5DX
Irons - TM PSi 5-PW
Chipping things - Callaway MD3 50, 55,60
Putter - Odyssey MXM #7[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RickKimbrell' timestamp='1434683792' post='11782222']
Sergio...well he didn't like Augusta either. So what. [b] I think any player who gets the mindset that there is something wrong with the course that everyone else is playing has just about killed his chances of winning.[/b]
[/quote]

Great point! didnt Henrik Stenson complain about the course on wednesday?

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"