Shafts Similar to Proforce V2?

Hey all quick question for you. Does anyone know of a shaft that plays similar to the Proforce V2? I've had the 76g stiff 2.2 torque in my gamer(G10) that I love. My backup is a G25(probably sell eventually) and I'm trying to find a comparable shaft to put in it and see how it goes. I know the obvious answer is put in the same shaft, but want to hear some other options. Any opinions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion here, but I like the V2 and have played several types and weights of it, and I think the RIP Alpha plays pretty similarly for me at least. That's both a feel and flight comparison to me.

There are several people here who have Tom Wishon's shaft profile software. Maybe someone can chime in with more concrete results?

EpicSZ 9* = Speeder665
980F 13* = TitleistSpeeder
980F 17* = VSProto80
762DCI 3-9 = DGXP95/105
FGTourTC 50/56* = DGSpinner
SS385

A man has two lives. The second begins when he realizes he only has one.

The rip alpha is right on point, another shaft is the aldila tour green. Oban devotion or kiyoshi black. all will do an awesome job coming from that shaft, all are super stiff butt and mid sections, with a less stiff tip.

Ping G410 plus 9* accra tz5 65 m5
Taylormade M5 fw 15* Oban devotion hb 75-05
Mizuno JPX 19* accra concept 300 80g m5
Srixon U85 4 iron KBS Tour V 120x
Srixon 785 5-pw KBS Tour V 120x
Cleveland RTX 4 50* 54* mid bounce/ Taylormade Hi Toe atv 60*
Taylormade Ardmore 3 MCA Diamana p series 135 2.0

According to Wishon's software both these shafts have a similar profile.

YS 7S
NVS 75S

There are some others but they are somewhat obscure so these two are your best targets in my opinion.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I really had no idea where to start. I'm going to see if I can try out the RIP Alpha. Looking into the Oban Devotion and V5 but pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find one to test out. The YS 7 sounds very interesting and what I'm leaning toward based on first glance.

[quote name='chief523' timestamp='1435119197' post='11823856']
Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I really had no idea where to start. I'm going to see if I can try out the RIP Alpha. Looking into the Oban Devotion and V5 but pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find one to test out. The YS 7 sounds very interesting and what I'm leaning toward based on first glance.
[/quote]

The RIP Alpha is quite a bit stiffer through the middle than the V2. Not the same profile at all.

In my experience, the UST VTS Black or Silver, dependent upon transition, and Aldila original VS Proto work exceptionally well for those that liked the V2.

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s300
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1435127622' post='11824178']
Aldila original VS Proto work exceptionally well for those that liked the V2.
[/quote]

I found this to be the case for the 60 gm versions but UST makes the 70 gm versions stiffer than the 60 while aldila maintains the same bend profile as the weight increases so the match might not be as good at the heavier weights.

[quote name='fombyjambox' timestamp='1435146853' post='11824644']
Just a thought, but the V2 is still widely available so why not just go with the real deal if you like it? I happen to love the V2 myself and tend to grab a spare here and there so I'll have them on hand when they are finally, no longer available.
[/quote]

+1 - you can order one of these from a number of different places- as others have said, if you know you like the shaft and it performs for you, why change?

Just a thought, but the V2 is still widely available so why not just go with the real deal if you like it? I happen to love the V2 myself and tend to grab a spare here and there so I'll have them on hand when they are finally, no longer available.
[/quote]

Thats a good idea, I'll pick up another 76g V2 to have around. I currently have the 66g V2 in it right now. I'm sure it has more to do with the weight than the shaft, but I'm not liking it. I'm fairly new to fitting and all that, but have heard certain shafts aren't always "compatible" with certain heads.

Probably going to get the YS 7 and see what happens.

[quote name='chief523' timestamp='1435157999' post='11825580']
[/quote]

Thats a good idea, I'll pick up another 76g V2 to have around. I currently have the 66g V2 in it right now. I'm sure it has more to do with the weight than the shaft, but I'm not liking it. I'm fairly new to fitting and all that, but have heard certain shafts aren't always "compatible" with certain heads.

Probably going to get the YS 7 and see what happens.
[/quote]

I think that's a good plan of attack, especially considering the V2's are really cheap these days, under $60 in many cases.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1435121873' post='11824016']
[/quote]

The RIP Alpha is quite a bit stiffer through the middle than the V2. Not the same profile at all.
[/quote]

Agreed on the profile but I do agree with the others that the RIP Alpha is probably the closest shaft the the V2 feel wise.

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UST-MAMIYA-PROFORCE-V2-SHAFT-75-S-FLEX-335-TIP-/270634991488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f031a3f80"]Direct from UST V2 75S for $60 shipped...[/url]

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1435234122' post='11831566']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed on the profile but I do agree with the others that the RIP Alpha is probably the closest shaft the the V2 feel wise.
[/quote]

Interesting. I mean YS 7 is still leading the way but just have to test out the RIP Alpha and see how it feels. I know they're two different shafts but FWIW I was swinging the RIP Phenom for a little while and didn't like it.

Is it the YS 7 or YS 7+ shaft that plays similar to the V2? Is there a difference between the + and non plus? I'm curious to find out about other similar shafts as well since I play the 77g V2 2.1 torque stiff.

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

[quote name='chief523' timestamp='1435274839' post='11835724']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1435234122' post='11831566']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. I mean YS 7 is still leading the way but just have to test out the RIP Alpha and see how it feels. I know they're two different shafts but FWIW I was swinging the RIP Phenom for a little while and didn't like it.
[/quote]

IMHO the RIP Alpha and RIP Phenom feel very different.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1435279450' post='11836052']
IMHO the RIP Alpha and RIP Phenom feel very different.
[/quote]

Agree. Phenom is generally a little bit softer than the PF v2 65 and quite a bit softer than the RIP alpha.

I'd actually think the nv-voodoo (snv7) would be a closer match to the PF v2 75 than the rip alpha - but not every one will translate the bend profile differences to feel difference in the same way. That's why it's always a bit of risk involved with buying based on these types of recommendations (without actually trying it out first).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just an update. I haven't bought a shaft yet but browsed around a little more and found the Tour AD DJ, and its sounds pretty nice. Saw the price and figured I might as well just get fit for a shaft to put into my G25. Hopefully within the next couple weeks...