How Much Shaft To Trim Off To Allow For The Grip Cap?

EmperorPenguin

I can trim shafts easily, but my fear is trimming off too much or not enough. I want to be very exact with trimming shafts so when I put the grip on, the club will measure an exact length from the floor to the tip of the grip cap. However, I often find myself guessing because I am not sure exactly how much to allow for the grip cap (i.e., where the shaft ends and the rubber of the grip cap begins). Usually I can see a line that circles near the top of the grip cap, but sometimes that line is not reliable. I reckon that for most grips, the butt end takes up about 1/4" of the shaft, so for a 37.5" 5 iron, I must trim the shaft to 37.25" to allow for the grip cap? First of all, is there an industry standard among golf grip companies, that they are all supposed to take up about 1/4"? Secondly, if there is no industry standard, what is the most reliable way to determine the grip cap depth so I can better trim the club to an exact length?

For Golf Pride, I usually just trim 1/4 under desired final length. It helps to buy one extra grip and cut it to set on a pre-gripped club to help determine the right length. A quarter of an inch isn't going to make a big difference either way.

• Like 2

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='TPhodge' timestamp='1435626906' post='11858894']
Typically the grip cap is 1/8".
[/quote]

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1435627002' post='11858910']
For Golf Pride, I usually just trim 1/4 under desired final length. It helps to buy one extra grip and cut it to set on a pre-gripped club to help determine the right length. A quarter of an inch isn't going to make a big difference either way.
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Sounds like we're basically in agreement. I always trim 3/16" to account for the grip.[/color]

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

There is far too much variation in grip cap lengths. I'm with a few OEMs and measure everything to the top of the butt of the shaft. That way if grips are swapped for something else, I've maintained one measurement as constant.

For those that are too anal about it, cut open your favorite grip and measure the grip cap thickness. Then you know for that particular grip. If I know that someone "needs" to have it to the top of the grip, I allow 1/8". Standard for most grips. Any variation from that is really immaterial and you'll never notice it.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1435629821' post='11859338']
Stick the narrow end of your shaft inside the grip to the end and mark the length. Then put the grip beside the the narrow end to the very tip and mark the difference. Measure and do the math.

Shambles
[/quote]

This +1

I've been using a long wooden dowel for this purpose. It isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this would be the best place to ask my question:

I've got a wedge that I would like extended 3/16 - 1/4". I'd prefer not to use extensions if I can find a particular grip that would add this length via the butt.

Club currently has a Mizuno logo golf pride M-21 grip, std. Are there any grips with "extra long butts" that would allow me to add this desired length without an extension? Also, I'm looking to go midsize, if that makes any difference.

1/4.........I have tons of used cutoff grips I use for drybuilding.....I can see the butt end pretty well and pretty sure I even measured it once.....I go by 1/4, definetly not 1/8......possibly 3/16 but 1/4 inch is rule of thumb.......also tape runs over butt end and I use 3 wraps.........1/4 has worked out on dot for me

The problem with "rules of thumbs" is that there are way too many different thumbs out there.

Grip cap size can vary anywhere from 1/16" to 1/4" or even a bit more. Also it can depend on where on the grip cap you measure the length to. Most used the edge of the cap (as they really should) but some might measure to the very top of the cap dome so that can effect what you might see for length. Now if you want to talk averages, among the various grips I've worked with, 1/8" seems to be by far the most common. But that's just my observations.

I've got a wedge that I would like extended 3/16 - 1/4". I'd prefer not to use extensions if I can find a particular grip that would add this length via the butt.

But I can't think of any that I've actually used that gave a full 1/4" so can't give any specific recommendations for using a grip to help extend the playing length. But there are ways to extend that little amount without using a full extension. For just 1/4" you don't really need any structural strength in that extension. A small piece of a shaft cut-off or even small cutoff from a wooden dowel of the right size can be used for that little amount.

• Like 1

But I can't think of any that I've actually used that gave a full 1/4" so can't give any specific recommendations for using a grip to help extend the playing length. But there are ways to extend that little amount without using a full extension. For just 1/4" you don't really need any structural strength in that extension. A small piece of a shaft cut-off or even small cutoff from a wooden dowel of the right size can be used for that little amount.

What do you think about the Boccieri Secret Grip...seems like there's a good bit of butt length just from looking at the pictures. I'm guessing the counter-weight is housed in the butt so it needs to be longer. Not sure if it can be taken out though...

1/8"

If you cut a shaft to X length, after grip installation you will be at X length plus 1/8".

Yes, 1/8 is the most common, and thats why the Mitchell ruler block has a slot so we mark and cut the shaft 1/8" shorter than target play length.

I used for the most Golf Pride grips, and i never saw any of them who was more than 1/8 so the only grip i recall had a thicker grip cap is Jumbo max with a kind of hemi shaped cap, but those grips is "very special" to start with so they cant really be counted for as a norm,

EDIT : if you are using build up tape, it shall be cut so it DONT folds over the end of the shaft, its only the grip tape, the last layer who shall be longer than the shaft to "seal" the end of the shaft.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

What do you think about the Boccieri Secret Grip...seems like there's a good bit of butt length just from looking at the pictures. I'm guessing the counter-weight is housed in the butt so it needs to be longer. Not sure if it can be taken out though...

Sorry, no experience with them so couldn't say.

I tried. The weight is really molded in so it can't be removed without ruining the grip.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

When ever in doubt, just measure it using a shaft tip you put into the grip, set a mark, take it out and compare to total length of the grip and you will know how much the grip cap adds.

• 4 years later...
On 12/5/2016 at 10:38 PM, Stuart_G said:

Stuart, you seem like one of the most knowledgeable people on this site so hopefully you can answer this. How long is the cap on a Lamkin Crossline Full-Cord Midsize. I just ordered a set of 13 for my bag and I intend on putting them in some irons i'm building but need to cut the shafts. This thread specifically says to measure 1/8" but I just measured the cap on the old midsize grips i cut out of the shafts and its a lot closer to 1/4" (Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord Midsize)

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Winn Pistol 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

38 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

Stuart, you seem like one of the most knowledgeable people on this site so hopefully you can answer this. How long is the cap on a Lamkin Crossline Full-Cord Midsize. I just ordered a set of 13 for my bag and I intend on putting them in some irons i'm building but need to cut the shafts. This thread specifically says to measure 1/8" but I just measured the cap on the old midsize grips i cut out of the shafts and its a lot closer to 1/4" (Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord Midsize)

I thought I had a midsize Lamkin X-Line Full Cord (must have it on a club somewhere), but the Std X-Line cords are 1/8" butt cap.  I would have no reason to suspect that they are any different.

Golf Pride Z and MCC cords are all thicker.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

3 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I thought I had a midsize Lamkin X-Line Full Cord (must have it on a club somewhere), but the Std X-Line cords are 1/8" butt cap.  I would have no reason to suspect that they are any different.

perfect thank you so much. Yeah I know that Golf Prides (at least the one I was playing) was a .600" grip and the Lamkins I just bought were .580"

I didn't know if that affected cap size

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Winn Pistol 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

3 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

perfect thank you so much. Yeah I know that Golf Prides (at least the one I was playing) was a .600" grip and the Lamkins I just bought were .580"

I didn't know if that affected cap size

Cap size isn't affected by whether they are .600 or .580. 

Cap thickness will vary from OEM to OEM and as is the case with Golf Pride, some are different than others.  Tour Velvet (not the 360 ones) are all 1/8" as were most of the older lines.  Newer ones are thicker (not sure why).

• Like 2

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

On 6/29/2015 at 5:16 PM, MadGolfer76 said:

I keep an assortment of cut grips from previous clubs to use to dry fit swingweight and length, especially on irons as I can add tip weights to hit a specific swingweight.

3 hours ago, CKaneb said:

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

Not used the crossline full cord but have used lots of other Lamkin grips (my preferred grip)   But they all have either been pretty close to 1/8".   Not sure I bothered to measure exactly since I consistently allow for a 1/8" grip cap regardless of what grip I actually use.

That's really the only thing that's important - consistency.  +/- 1/8" as grip cap size varies isn't going to have any effect on the performance of the club.

• Like 3

+1. The only thing a 1/8" deviation will affect is one's OCD. 🤒

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

8 hours ago, Socrates said:

Cap size isn't affected by whether they are .600 or .580. 

Cap thickness will vary from OEM to OEM and as is the case with Golf Pride, some are different than others.  Tour Velvet (not the 360 ones) are all 1/8" as were most of the older lines.  Newer ones are thicker (not sure why).

After +4 grips came to the marked, we have seen that the grips BP is moving, so to me this thicker grip caps seems to be designed to "trick the SW scale" by adding about 1/8" or so to the grip cap, and by that make the club 1/8" longer = 0.75 SWP higher return value instead of a drop due to higher grip weight..."the SW scale religion"....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

After +4 grips came to the marked, we have seen that the grips BP is moving, so to me this thicker grip caps seems to be designed to "trick the SW scale" by adding about 1/8" or so to the grip cap, and by that make the club 1/8" longer = 0.75 SWP higher return value instead of a drop due to higher grip weight..."the SW scale religion"....

That seems like a very plausible reason.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize