2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Wilson 50 Elite.

Minarets

[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1444158050' post='12418944']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1444157479' post='12418888']
[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440957841' post='12234804']
Quick observation after playing this ball for a few rounds. In comparison to the Supersoft, it seems like the 50 is very long off the shorter clubs and shorter of the longer clubs. Seems I begin to lose distance from my 6 hybrid to my driver. 7 & 8 iron seems to be on par and 9 iron to my LW seems to be too long. Has anyone noticed anything similar?
[/quote]
I have found the same issue with super softs compared to other balls. It must be a low compression thing. Maybe you and me both swing too fast for these softer balls. It's a shame cause apart from driver I really like the feel and flight I get from the super soft. But the shorter drives and longer short irons is a deal breaker for me. I just keep a couple in the bag now to pull out on short par 3s if I am between clubs. I just go with the shorter club and the super soft.
[/quote]

Oddly enough i don't have the same issue as you guys on long club distance and i do swing pretty fast. Shorter clubs weren't that significantly longer than what i ususally hit either

How is your shot trajectory? Mine are usually mile high including the driver at 8.5. I think i can hit 6* head if there was one for FT-9 Tour
[/quote]
Was at the course practicing today and funnily enough I hit a supersoft past other balls, so maybe it isn't shorter than other balls. The particular drive I hit with the super soft was as long as I've hit on thst hole, and it was into a stromg wind. I'm so confused.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1444200818' post='12421372']
[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1444158050' post='12418944']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1444157479' post='12418888']
[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440957841' post='12234804']
Quick observation after playing this ball for a few rounds. In comparison to the Supersoft, it seems like the 50 is very long off the shorter clubs and shorter of the longer clubs. Seems I begin to lose distance from my 6 hybrid to my driver. 7 & 8 iron seems to be on par and 9 iron to my LW seems to be too long. Has anyone noticed anything similar?
[/quote]
I have found the same issue with super softs compared to other balls. It must be a low compression thing. Maybe you and me both swing too fast for these softer balls. It's a shame cause apart from driver I really like the feel and flight I get from the super soft. But the shorter drives and longer short irons is a deal breaker for me. I just keep a couple in the bag now to pull out on short par 3s if I am between clubs. I just go with the shorter club and the super soft.
[/quote]

Oddly enough i don't have the same issue as you guys on long club distance and i do swing pretty fast. Shorter clubs weren't that significantly longer than what i ususally hit either

How is your shot trajectory? Mine are usually mile high including the driver at 8.5. I think i can hit 6* head if there was one for FT-9 Tour
[/quote]
Was at the course practicing today and funnily enough I hit a supersoft past other balls, so maybe it isn't shorter than other balls. The particular drive I hit with the super soft was as long as I've hit on thst hole, and it was into a stromg wind. I'm so confused.
[/quote]

Oddly enough, I've seen someone who swings relatively slower than me hit a knuckle ball with 50. I would assume it's a swing difference more so than club head speed

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

So after reading this entire thread up to this point, I ended up taking a chance (not much really due to the cost) and bought some of the newer version. I do not think I experienced any distance gain over other balls I have played, such as the E6, Super Soft, or RBZ Urethane. It was a little better around the green than those (maybe on par with the RBZ Urethane). It won't spin like a Pro V1, nor a V1x in my opinion. But I simply cannot believe it is only $12.99. It performs just fine for me on all aspects of the game, driving, full iron shots, partial iron shots and putting, nothing spectacular. What is spectacular is the price. Unbelievable to me that they can make a ball perform similarly to balls that cost at least twice as much. It's a winner in my book due to that, and I will continue to play it for a while for sure!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444159588' post='12419060'][quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1436192359' post='11895678']
Hopefully, it comes in a better yellow now.
[/quote]

Over in the UK we don't have the '50' but have a DX2, 29 comp ball.

What a lovely ball, BUT.............And please listen, Wilson, the yellow is an awful, dull yellow that's lost in the winter!!

The yellow colouring seems 'buried' in it's cover.

As the ultimate winter ball it needs to be BRIGHT, FLURO, Srixon z star yellow, DT Solo Yellow, Supersoft yellow.....[/quote]

I have said this at least three times in this thread. I despise their yellow. I prefer yellow balls from srixon to anything else. (Z star to be specific) but hate and refuse to play Wilson 50 elite in yellow. I do, however, like their orange quite a bit. I tried it since I hate the yellow so much and I really like them. So white or orange for me.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1444693478' post='12447588']
[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444159588' post='12419060'][quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1436192359' post='11895678']
[/quote]

What a lovely ball, BUT.............And please listen, Wilson, the yellow is an awful, dull yellow that's lost in the winter!!

As the ultimate winter ball it needs to be BRIGHT, FLURO, Srixon z star yellow, DT Solo Yellow, Supersoft yellow.....[/quote]

I have said this at least three times in this thread. I despise their yellow. I prefer yellow balls from srixon to anything else. (Z star to be specific) but hate and refuse to play Wilson 50 elite in yellow. I do, however, like their orange quite a bit. I tried it since I hate the yellow so much and I really like them. So white or orange for me.
[/quote]

I agree. Played the orange today and like the white with the red numbering. Just a truly incredible ball.

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444159588' post='12419060']
[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1436192359' post='11895678']
[/quote]

As the ultimate winter ball it needs to be BRIGHT, FLURO, Srixon z star yellow, DT Solo Yellow, Supersoft yellow.....
[/quote]

The pink 50 is by far the most visible ball I have have ever played. I went to the Duo yellow last year and played the yellow 50's, Srixon and have seen the yellow Titleist. None of them are anywhere near as bright and visible as the pink 50. If Wilson doesn't come out with the Duo in that Pink I might have to go back to the 50.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1444759379' post='12450934']
[/quote]

As the ultimate winter ball it needs to be BRIGHT, FLURO, Srixon z star yellow, DT Solo Yellow, Supersoft yellow.....
[/quote]

The pink 50 is by far the most visible ball I have have ever played. I went to the Duo yellow last year and played the yellow 50's, Srixon and have seen the yellow Titleist. None of them are anywhere near as bright and visible as the pink 50. If Wilson doesn't come out with the Duo in that Pink I might have to go back to the 50.
[/quote]

Only one slight problem with the highly visible pink ball - i'm a heterosexual male, lol!!

:taunt::taunt:

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1444693478' post='12447588']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can you say it a fourth time for people that don't read all the post's??

Thanks.

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444761815' post='12451100']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Only one slight problem with the highly visible pink ball - i'm a heterosexual male, lol!!

[/quote]

I'm man enough to play a pink ball

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1444762081' post='12451130']
[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444761815' post='12451100']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm man enough to play a pink ball
[/quote]

I'm sure you are, but looking down at a pink ball would scare my feminine side! :taunt:

[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444761980' post='12451122'][quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1444693478' post='12447588']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks.[/quote]

Sorry if that came across smart a**, I was just stating again but I hate the yellow. But now I'm quite interested in the pink. I have no problem playing a pink ball. I just haven't seen the pink available in stores anywhere to try. That is how I started with the orange . Golf Smith carries both the yellow and orange and white in store.

I just bought 10 dozen white 50 elite from Kohl's last night, but would love to buy a dozen pink to try out this fall amongst the yellow and orange leaves.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1444765203' post='12451424']
[quote name='benden' timestamp='1444761980' post='12451122'][quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1444693478' post='12447588']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks.[/quote]

Sorry if that came across smart a**, I was just stating again but I hate the yellow. But now I'm quite interested in the pink. I have no problem playing a pink ball. I just haven't seen the pink available in stores anywhere to try. That is how I started with the orange . Golf Smith carries both the yellow and orange and white in store.

I just bought 10 dozen white 50 elite from Kohl's last night, but would love to buy a dozen pink to try out this fall amongst the yellow and orange leaves.
[/quote]

No probs, your good!

Secret is, i'd probably play a pink ball too...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Picked up some Orange Fifty's a few days ago and forgot they're available in Pink. Gonna pick some up this week. Love pink :)

Side note: For those wondering, these are balls are very straight. Played a couple of holes with the Bridgestone e5 and the difference is dramatic in terms of side spin.

So to generalize, these balls are straighter than a ProV1/ProV1x, spin less (though more than other non-urethane balls) and (arguably) might be a little shorter off the tee?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1444850287' post='12456204']
So to generalize, these balls are straighter than a ProV1/ProV1x, spin less (though more than other non-urethane balls) and (arguably) might be a little shorter off the tee?
[/quote]

Biggest difference for me was the iron/wedge spin. Otherwise similar to other balls

Biggest plus for me was the tee shot penetration

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

It's just hard to believe a ball could be so cheap and so good. Budget Golf has blems for like $7 a dozen, that's completely ridiculous. They must cost like a quarter per ball to make. So even on firm greens these things hold? I'm happy with the ProV1x practice balls, but maybe I'll try these out.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1444874548' post='12458004']
It's just hard to believe a ball could be so cheap and so good. Budget Golf has blems for like $7 a dozen, that's completely ridiculous. They must cost like a quarter per ball to make. So even on firm greens these things hold? I'm happy with the ProV1x practice balls, but maybe I'll try these out.
[/quote]

My experience has been that these aren't going to spin back or stick like a Pro V1 will, but they'll hop and release a bit. Perfectly serviceable greenside performance, and way better than what you would expect for a ball of this price.

I think that the 50's spin more than adequately on all types of shots. Since I started playing the ball, I've never had an approach shot bound off the green like with some other non urethane balls. Most times I'll end up within 2-3 feet of the pitch mark, and occasionally 5-8 feet away.

I had a chip out of a hard packed bunker this past weekend (a regular sand shot would not work in that stuff) and the ball came out hotter than I would have liked, but the backspin it got slammed the brakes on the ball and brought it to a stop a foot from the hole. All my buddies thought it was gonna roll right off the other side of the green, and were amazed it spun and stopped right there. Seems plenty good enough to me :)

So this ball deserves the hype. The green side spin wasn't that great but man, I had some of the longest drives of the season today. One at 292 and one at 295. Yes they we both wind aided but I haven't hit it that far in awhile even in similar conditions. For the $12 I paid, I don't think you can find a better ball dollar for dollar. I'm going to hunting at kohls to try to get that awesome deal and stock up like crazy.

I agree that this ball is great for anything but a short, fast checking wedge shot. Since that isn't a shot I have much confidence in trying, I very rarely try to use it, so no problem! There's something confidence inspiring about the feeling that you're really compressing the ball.that becomes even better if you don't have to trade distance to get it. I hit these things as far and straight as any distance ball but the feel of these is better than anything, due I suppose, to the lower compression. Someday I'll work on that zippy forty yard check wedge but in the meanwhile the Wilsons are pretty ideal for my game and the fact that they come in high visibility colour options puts them the top for me. I never would have thought I'd grow so fond of a particular ball but here I am, confessing my love of a soft orange sphere to the world's most interesting man. Crazy.[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsvVCHI1pM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsvVCHI1pM[/url]

I played a round out in perfect 70s temp weather. i had one shot spin back 4ft
Most were stuck shots but 3/4 punch wedge spinning back 4ft when i didn't expect it was a pleasant surprise

Unbelievable for a dollar ball

Ok, I have had a chance to play this ball for a few rounds now. I was most interested in trying it out at my club (which just re-opened after putting in new championship bermuda greens). Because of the type of green as well as how new they were, I thought it would be a tough test for the ball. Hit the ball pretty well, and the ball exceeded my expectations on the greens. They definitely don't spin back like a Pro-V1, but most shots were withing 5 feet of their pitch mark. Again, due to the newness and type of green, I just was not expecting a whole lot, but the Wilson delivered nicely. I cannot believe how cheap this ball is for the performance.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

Finally found these at kohls last weekend and put them in play this week. Great ball for the price, will be my winter ball most likely. I had already played this ball a couple times after finding some on the course so I knew how underrated they were, but wanted to put them through a full round. The only club I though they felt a little mushy was with the putter, but there was no speed or distance control issues like I've experienced with the supersoft. Approach shots stayed close to their pitch marks and no issues off the driver. I had a couple of newer pro V1s that I played during the same holes and the only noticeable difference was greenside spin which was to be expected. Can't be beat for $6-7 a dozen.