2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Can you win your club championship?

A spin off thread from Larrybud's thread about finally winning his CC.

For those of you who play, are you going in with a realistic shot at winning?

Ours is this weekend. It would take a "perfect storm" of events for me to win. The club's best player left last year, and player 1A only plays every so often. Then there are another five to ten others who would be in the mix, with me maybe being at the very tail end of that grouping. I would have to get pretty hot to pull it off. For reference, I'm a five which is the break point for championship flight.

How about all of you out there, expectations?

[quote name='SMAKCruiser' timestamp='1437486857' post='11991626']
I expect to win... why bother even entering if you don't think you can win?
[/quote]

There are a lot more people who enter who have no chance to win than those that do have a chance. At least those that have flights.

I'm just asking how many really do expect to compete for the overall title.

I wouldn't play if I didn't think I could win. I'm no way the best golfer at my club, but in match play, anything can happen...

We do qualifying the first weekend Sat+Sun stroke play to determine flights and seeding. Second weekend is match play.

This year I played embarrassingly bad during qualifying 2 weekends back and didn't make Championship flight. I won both matches this past weekend to win the First flight.

There is always next year!

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

Net = virtually no chance unless I shoot 10 shots better than I ever have (both days). Way too many sandbaggers, the net winner will come in at 62-65 guaranteed (they just had a special weekend :)).

Gross = If about 10 guys get a bad case of the shanks then there's about a 2.1% chance of me throwing together two rounds that would get me there.

On a side note, I did lead our chip (gross and net) after day 1 a few years ago. I followed up my (day 1) 72 with an adventure filled 95, and... that didn't get it done.

I play because everyone plays, it's fun and I will play for skins, I was kidding about 2.1%, I have no chance.. Our winner will be one of three people (2 young, 1 old; the 2 whippersnappers could go way low and the older fella will be around -2 in case they suck it up) and that I have 100% confidence in. Somebody will buy me for a few bucks, however. :scare2:

Realistically, I can't win my club championship. There are 4 holes from the back tees where I am at a trmendous disadvantage because of my lack of length off the tee. An uphill par 4 where I have to kill a drive just to hit 3-hybrid in while longer hitters play fairway wood, 7-iron. aznd a par 5 where I have a 10-yard slot to hit into because I cant carry my driver 260 over a hazard. Usually takes around even to win. Over two days thats a little too much to expect for me.

I did win my Senior CLub Championship there last year shooting 73-71 but from tee boxes that shave about 300 yards off the course ( 200 of which are on those 4 holes).

And I won a club championship several years ago at a different club with overall yardages similar to what my current course plays from the tips. The difference is that the former course didnt have any long forced carries off the tee or as much elevation change.

Lost in the finals last year to a guy who just flat out played better golf. In the semi-finals this Saturday and on the finals after that if I can mange to move on. So it's possible.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Grizz06' timestamp='1437490016' post='11991962']
Net = virtually no chance unless I shoot 10 shots better than I ever have (both days). Way too many sandbaggers, the net winner will come in at 62-65 guaranteed (they just had a special weekend :)).

Gross = If about 10 guys get a bad case of the shanks then there's about a 2.1% chance of me throwing together two rounds that would get me there.

On a side note, I did lead our chip (gross and net) after day 1 a few years ago. I followed up my (day 1) 72 with an adventure filled 95, and... that didn't get it done.

I play because everyone plays, it's fun and I will play for skins, I was kidding about 2.1%, I have no chance.. Our winner will be one of three people (2 young, 1 old; the 2 whippersnappers could go way low and the older fella will be around -2 in case they suck it up) and that I have 100% confidence in. Somebody will buy me for a few bucks, however. :scare2:
[/quote]

That's kind of our situation. A lot of people play and there is no entry fee. They try to find a way for as many people as possible to win something.

I'm in limbo. To old to compete for mens club championship and too young to compete for mens senior. One more year and LOOK OUT... :superman: I'm on it like flies on a fresh pile of horse shyt.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Yes I have a very good chance at winning my club championship. In fact I'm the one everyone expects to win. I should have won last year but had a ball move on the green when I addressed it and it cost me a double when I should have made par. I ended up losing by 2 shots and placed 3rd. This year our County AM is at my course so I kind of feel like I have 2 club championships to shoot for and I expect to win both. If I play my best game there's not reason I can't win.

More importantly though is why are you worried about this? If you don't honestly feel in your mind you can win something then you won't. We all know how powerful the mind is in this game, and if you've already convinced yourself that unless everyone of the top players at your club loses their swing that you can't win, then you've already determined your own fate. You have to go into a competition with the mind set of a champion. You can't think about winning a multi day competition before it's even begun. If you play 2 or 3 days and get yourself within 5-6 shots of the lead then you can think about it going into the final round. There can only be one champion everyone else loses. Golf is a tough game in that regard. If you can't handle that don't compete, just play for fun. If you worried less about the outcome and focused more on the process of hitting shots and playing the game that's presented to you that day, you'd probably surprise yourself.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1437485130' post='11991466']

Ours is this weekend. It would take a "perfect storm" of events for me to win. The club's best player left last year, and player 1A only plays every so often. Then there are another five to ten others who would be in the mix, with me maybe being at the very tail end of that grouping. I would have to get pretty hot to pull it off. For reference, I'm a five which is the break point for championship flight.

[/quote]

• Haha 1

[quote name='lutomrSC' timestamp='1437495620' post='11992612']
Yes I have a very good chance at winning my club championship. In fact I'm the one everyone expects to win. I should have won last year but had a ball move on the green when I addressed it and it cost me a double when I should have made par. I ended up losing by 2 shots and placed 3rd. This year our County AM is at my course so I kind of feel like I have 2 club championships to shoot for and I expect to win both. If I play my best game there's not reason I can't win.

More importantly though is why are you worried about this? If you don't honestly feel in your mind you can win something then you won't. We all know how powerful the mind is in this game, and if you've already convinced yourself that unless everyone of the top players at your club loses their swing that you can't win, then you've already determined your own fate. You have to go into a competition with the mind set of a champion. You can't think about winning a multi day competition before it's even begun. If you play 2 or 3 days and get yourself within 5-6 shots of the lead then you can think about it going into the final round. There can only be one champion everyone else loses. Golf is a tough game in that regard. If you can't handle that don't compete, just play for fun. If you worried less about the outcome and focused more on the process of hitting shots and playing the game that's presented to you that day, you'd probably surprise yourself.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1437485130' post='11991466']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not worried about anything. I am however realistic about how my game compares to the others I'll be competing against.

I said in a later post, there are far more people who enter their respective CC's who have no chance to win the overall title than those that do have a chance to win, especially in the CC's (like ours) that are flighted stroke play. It's a fun event.

I didn't start this thread to get advice on my situation, I'm quite comfortable with how it is. I am simply asking, of those who play in their CC's, how many realistically expect to compete for the title as opposed to others who are playing more because it is a fun event at their club. And you can still go with the idea to compete but doing so knowing winning it all is not going to happen. I realize that there a lot of really good players here who would find the idea of starting a tournament without the mindset of winning it all appalling, but that is the reality for the majority who tee it up in these.

But good luck with both of your tournaments, I hope you win both. As for me, even if I don't expect to win, I'll still be trying my tail off.

I am usually in the top five, had a few runner ups
Have not won a club C since 2003 .. hoping this year is the charm

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have virtually 0% chance of winning these days. I am right at the cutoff where I am in the Championship flight. We play 36 holes of stroke to determine 8 spots for matchplay. I've made matchplay about half the time I've played, never advanced out of the first round. There are 2 guys who will be beat me a conservative 19 - 20 times, no matter how well I play. I suppose it's possible that someone else beats them first, then I play lights out. I really don't even care about the event these days and skipped it this year. It's a bit much to ask for me to play both weekend days for multiple weekends in the middle of summer.

I'd be the prohibitive favorite, but there's so much political crap surrounding it that I don't sign up. Women get really pissy about stuff, but most of you probably already knew that.

Played year before last and refused to attest to somebody's score after some very obvious lie fluffing, and the s-storm didn't die down for months. I hadn't played in years, (since I gave a woman 14 strokes and she shot a gross 77), and it was a reminder of why I don't.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Net, no chance. Always some mid handicapper who glows hot and posts sub 80 rounds.

Gross, the last time I won was 8 years ago. I think I have as much chance as about 10 others, we have an unusually (for England) strong membership at my club, there is a group of 20 or so around scratch/better players. There is only 1 standout player, but the depth of our "field" makes a win tough.

Wish you the best of luck in yours!

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

Our club does a two day stroke play event. It is flighted but they consider the Club Champ as the victor of the Championship Flight. As a 5 index, I fall right on the line between championship flight and A Flight. Realistically, I have little shot to win the championship flight. I have, in practice rounds and pot game rounds, shot back to back rounds that would put me right there with the scores that consistently win the club championship. But, it would essentially take me playing my best back to back days. Possible, but unlikely.

Last year, as the highest handicapper in the championship flight, I finished something like 12th out of 25. I wasn't thrilled with my finish as I left a ton of strokes out there. But I was happy overall with staying in it. I started out Triple, double, par, double on day 1. Being able to keep my head in it and post a first day 82 felt good in my mind (after those first 4 holes). The reason I play in it, knowing I have a unrealistic chance at winning the club championship is to continue getting experience under tournament conditions. It's a totally different game and I have struggled in the past maintaining a high level of play (at my abilities) under the pressures of a tournament. So getting another opportunity to learn from tournament golf and play with the best members my club has to offer, is always something I want to partake in.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

At my club, we have the club championship based on the 16 best qualifiers (to qualify, you have to play qualifying rounds in the weeks leading up to the club championship which is held on labor day weekend). The 16 best posted scores are eligible to play for the club championship (4 day event, friday - monday, match play with brackets determined by qualifying score). The remaining golfers who want to play are divided into flights based on their handicap (same format for the tournament). I think that I have a legitimate shot at winning the flight I'd likely play in, unfortunately, there is no way I'd qualify for the championship flight.

25 years, no spot in the Championship flight, including this year. Three day event, 54 holes of stroke play, no handicaps. I play because it is fun to compete and on the last day the field is flighted so all us "losers" can attempt to win something. If only the dozen or so players who had a measurable chance to win signed up, the event would be insignificant. With 125-150 competitors it is a reasonably big deal for our small city.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1437499733' post='11993060']
Our club does a two day stroke play event. It is flighted but they consider the Club Champ as the victor of the Championship Flight. As a 5 index, I fall right on the line between championship flight and A Flight. Realistically, I have little shot to win the championship flight. I have, in practice rounds and pot game rounds, shot back to back rounds that would put me right there with the scores that consistently win the club championship. But, it would essentially take me playing my best back to back days. Possible, but unlikely.

Last year, as the highest handicapper in the championship flight, I finished something like 12th out of 25. I wasn't thrilled with my finish as I left a ton of strokes out there. But I was happy overall with staying in it. I started out Triple, double, par, double on day 1. Being able to keep my head in it and post a first day 82 felt good in my mind (after those first 4 holes). The reason I play in it, knowing I have a unrealistic chance at winning the club championship is to continue getting experience under tournament conditions. It's a totally different game and I have struggled in the past maintaining a high level of play (at my abilities) under the pressures of a tournament. So getting another opportunity to learn from tournament golf and play with the best members my club has to offer, is always something I want to partake in.
[/quote]

This is almost identical to my situation.

I have played in my club championship twice, and finished second twice. I hope to do better this year. Same as others have said, there are about 10 guys with handicaps between 1 and 5 that probably have a pretty good chance to win. I always just try to break 80 twice and see what happens. My first year playing I finished with 3 doubles in a row to miss out on a playoff by 1 shot. My second time, I shot 76 and 75, and lost to a guy that shot 2 or 3 under for two rounds. That is just simply better than I can do. Well, that guy is gone now and we are left with the same 10 guys that all shoot in the low to mid 70's and I feel I have a shot again. You never know.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

I'd been in the top five a few times, but never thought I'd win it, as I consider several of the other guys better and more complete players than myself. But then one year, I kept the mistakes to a minimum and managed to win it. So don't count yourself out.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)