2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Can you win your club championship?

To the original OP, I think you have to consider these things to honestly assess if you can win:

1) What usually wins it? There is always going to be different playing conditions, weather, rough length and so on that could determine what the winning score?

2) Then based on that, how often have you shot that score? If the answer is not very often it would be extremely fortuitous to win.

When I won my three, I was playing the best golf of my life and I shot those scores or even better most days when playing casually.

Sidebar conversation to Sixcat.....good night what club do you play at? Medalist GC?

Titleist 8.5 degree TS3 w/ 65 Even Flow 6.5
Titleist 15 degree TS3 w/ 75 Even Flow 6.5 
Titleist 2 iron 718 T-MB w/ Project X PXi 6.5
Titleist 4 iron 718 T-MB w/ Modus 120X
Titleist 5-PW 718 CB's w/ Modus 120X
Titleist Vokey SM7 52, 56, 50 degree w/ Modus 120X
Odyssey O Works Black 2M CS w/ Stability EI-GJ-1.0 34 7/8 inches 

To the original OP, I think you have to consider these things to honestly assess if you can win:

1) What usually wins it? There is always going to be different playing conditions, weather, rough length and so on that could determine what the winning score?

2) Then based on that, how often have you shot that score? If the answer is not very often it would be extremely fortuitous to win.

When I won my three, I was playing the best golf of my life and I shot those scores or even better most days when playing casually.

Sidebar conversation to Sixcat.....good night what club do you play at? Medalist GC?

Blue Ridge Country Club in SW Virginia.

• 2 months later...

I already won one! I was 16 at the time and couldn't take any of the prizes, the course donated everything to the golf team instead. I am 51 now by the way. :to_become_senile:

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

• 1 month later...

Haven't played since '15 and went back and found my post, lol. Before the knee surgery in '14 and associated knee issues prior to that had a couple of good results in the stroke play - 2nd and 3rd gross and a 1st net which got my name on a plaque but just didn't excite me since I choked away the "title" (and that was the year my oldest daughter won the women's, so missed out on the family "slam"). She and I did win the first member/member several years ago and I'll take that over any other forever, believe me. We have a match play and stroke play, somewhat limited participation and both are winnable, the match play by anyone since it's a handicap and the stroke play by about up to 5-7 or so different players in theory. Saw this thread and read through it again and I need a golf goal this summer and these are going to be it. Now if Monte can just help further refine the "world's most stubborn golf swing"! Oh yeah, and I'll probably have to practice. ;-(

Fun reading through this today.

Haven't played since '15 and went back and found my post, lol. Before the knee surgery in '14 and associated knee issues prior to that had a couple of good results in the stroke play - 2nd and 3rd gross and a 1st net which got my name on a plaque but just didn't excite me since I choked away the "title" (and that was the year my oldest daughter won the women's, so missed out on the family "slam"). She and I did win the first member/member several years ago and I'll take that over any other forever, believe me. We have a match play and stroke play, somewhat limited participation and both are winnable, the match play by anyone since it's a handicap and the stroke play by about up to 5-7 or so different players in theory. Saw this thread and read through it again and I need a golf goal this summer and these are going to be it. Now if Monte can just help further refine the "world's most stubborn golf swing"! Oh yeah, and I'll probably have to practice. ;-(

Sounds a lot like our club Hawkeye. Just a few guys who can realistically expect to have a chance (although they also give net awards, mainly trying to have as many people as possible win something) to win. An ex mini tour guy, an ex club pro, one of the state's top ams, and then your small collection of guys around scratch.

It's a shame the turnout isn't better, we don't even have an entry fee.

Good to have a goal for the season. Think how much better you'll feel fall when you can look at your Club Champion plaque while the Huskers are trashing the Hawks!! Cheers Buddy

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like our club Hawkeye. Just a few guys who can realistically expect to have a chance (although they also give net awards, mainly trying to have as many people as possible win something) to win. An ex mini tour guy, an ex club pro, one of the state's top ams, and then your small collection of guys around scratch.

It's a shame the turnout isn't better, we don't even have an entry fee.

Good to have a goal for the season. Think how much better you'll feel fall when you can look at your Club Champion plaque while the Huskers are trashing the Hawks!! Cheers Buddy��

Well, we don't have guys anywhere near as good as yours, so at least I'm not competing above my modest level, but this thread just got me thinking about my not really working on my game as much as I should and not having the right attitude about some friendly competition (and it's winter so it sounds good). Definitely need goals.

The other we will revisit I'm sure the day after Thanksgiving!

I'll update from my earlier post, i ended up winning my club champs by 7 after shooting 70-72-75-77 (par 72). The last two round scores weren't great, but the last round was in winds I've never experienced before, and i got lazy finishing double-bogey when i realised i was up by 11, but nonetheless, very pleased with the result, lead by 11 after the first two rounds in very trying conditions. Fyi our course record is 68 hence the high scoring

i didn't win last year but damnit, i'm doing it this year.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I've won mine. I always expect to have a chance to win, even though there are a handful of scratch players at my club. It's definitely hard, but anything can happen in match play.

On the flip side, we have different flights. Previous year's champion gets the 1 seed, but there are 15 spots to claim via a stroke play tournament. Some guys just like making the top flight, even if they know they can't win. It's all about your goals and skill level. Would you rather be in a lower flight and win or qualify as one of the top 16 and lose?

This past year I played like trash in the qualifier and just missed top 16. I ended up losing in the finals of the 2nd flight because I had nothing going that day. To me, it also didn't matter too much given it wasn't the overall champion.

• 2 years later...
On 9/17/2015 at 8:28 AM, OleVirginia said:

Carded a soul crushing +13 on the front 9 in qualifying this year (even on the back) to miss the championship flight match play (top 15 from qualifying and the reigning champ) by 3 strokes. Played angry in the scratch flight and closed out all 4 matches by 16. Equipment change mid-year didn't help, putting was mediocre. Coming for the big boy next year.

Pleased to report that I won our Club Championship this year! Absolutely unreal experience. Keep grinding, all. Dreams do come true!

TBM

• Like 3

I only played in one CC event at my home club. It was soooo early in the morning (6:30AM tee time for newbies like me.) I didn't care to participate at the club level for a number of reasons.

I even read the rules of golf front to back, as I never had before! (I knew them, but it didn't make any difference before this moment.)

Anyway, got paired with the club jerk for round one. He liked to roll his push cart out in front of me while I was in the middle of my backswing. First time I met the guy. NEVER liked him a BIT from that day on, as his behavior proved the same off the course. I got in his face and that B.S. ended at least.

Throughout the frustration and new experience, I came in 8th. In subsequent rounds with eventual club champs, even though it was not the cc, we wanted to beat each other. And I often would have the best score that day. So I have no doubt I could have won it. Especially moving on to some money games as I improved. I  didn't feel much pressure playing in a cc. The pro would invite me on the 16 man team when they needed players and I did OK. I thought that was a little more nervy, since you play for the team score and you want to do well for the guys.

Thinking back, the guys were older for the most part though. If more say HS kids played in it, I woulda been like 30th the way the kids play now....

10,000th edit: it was a new club back then too, so the members probably weren't the best overall, (I was an 8 at the time, LOL!) although the same cc's did play in state ams and stuff. So the top guys were still good. Later college guys came in and just wiped up.

Edited by blueonblack

17 hours ago, OleVirginia said:

Pleased to report that I won our Club Championship this year! Absolutely unreal experience. Keep grinding, all. Dreams do come true!

TBM

Congrats, OleVirginia. Was that at Bellehaven, going from your avatar?  I had the pleasure of playing there about 8 years ago during a trip to the US - course was in fantastic condition. 

Ours is gross stroke play only. As of today the answer is no. I'm just not good enough. We have at least one guy who was a college golfer and has club championships all over the place and a group of other guys who are just great athletes and near scratch. There are also some current college aged golfers who could play in it that are plus handicaps. 

I do hope to do it in the future. It will be a really serious grind for me to do it but it could happen and it gives me an ultimate goal to work toward.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, pjm said:

Congrats, OleVirginia. Was that at Bellehaven, going from your avatar?  I had the pleasure of playing there about 8 years ago during a trip to the US - course was in fantastic condition. 

Yessir! Small world. Look me up when you find yourself back this way... we can go see my name on the wall!

TBM

Easy answer...not a chance haha. I’m not bad I play to a 4 handicap but it’s gross stroke play and there’s about 10 scratches that play the championship at my club. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

Turned 50 this year and won our Sr club championship.  2 round event from around 6600 yards.   2nd in our main cc, 2 day stroke play and the top 4 square off in match play.  7000 yards.  Won my first match 2 up, got boat raced 4/3 in the final.  Was 1 under and not close.  Well 💩!

• Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

We have two different club championships.  The net championship and the gross championship.  I could possibly win the net championship, but that usually goes to higher handicaps.  The gross championship, there's no way I could win now.  Too many DI collegiate players or going to be DI players.  Then you have guys that were former touring pros that got their am status back.  The kid who dominates our club can easily shoot 130-135 and win by a billion.  

A couple of years ago he took a 10 on a par-4 and still won by 4 shots.

RH

Finished 5th in the CC this year.  Shot 76, 78, 80 from 7000yds.  It's 36 saturday, a cut, then the top 8 play 18 on sunday.  I need more yards off the tee and gotta get my GIR up.  I only hit 40% of the greens...

My game is similar to the guy who won it for the 3rd straight year.  He doesn't hit it far, but he doesn't miss a fwy or a green....

• 2 weeks later...