2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I know have about 4 rounds in with my JuanPutt and it is certainly easier to make short putts although I had a couple that I just flat-out missed from 3-4 feet yesterday. The yip in my stroke is gone with this technique. The biggest problem remains longer putts. I seems to have trouble getting it to the hole. I had a number of 15-40 foot birdie putts and left all of them well short of the hole. I'm going to practice lag putting this week but I am always interested in what others who use this technique do to overcome this problem.

Side saddle is no silver bullet. For most the short putts are immediately easier but it will take some practice to get it right and get the feel on distance control. I line up the putter then step into it, so at that point I am committed to the line and just think about distance. Also if you sole the club flat on the ground you may have to move your feet a little further to the side of the ball to give yourself more room to swing the club.

I now have about 4 rounds in with my JuanPutt and it is certainly easier to make short putts although I had a couple that I just flat-out missed from 3-4 feet yesterday. The yip in my stroke is gone with this technique. The biggest problem remains longer putts. I seems to have trouble getting it to the hole. I had a number of 15-40 foot birdie putts and left all of them well short of the hole. I'm going to practice lag putting this week but I am always interested in what others who use this technique do to overcome this problem.

I'm certainly no master as i've only been at this for a few weeks now but this is one area where i've seen a lot of improvement after some dedicated practice. I find looking at the hole helps me, even if there's a big break. I line the putt up and visualize the path it will take, but then I look at the hole and stroke it. So far that has produced some pretty good results speed-control wise. I had 2 40-ish foot putts on Sunday morning and lagged both within a few feet doing that. I think I've been having the most success doing the opposite of what most people have suggested :/ (looking at the hole on long putts, and keeping my head down on short ones).

The biggest thing I've focused on for lags is just trying to get the connection between my hand and my eyes a bit stronger. By that I mean focusing on feeling like i'm moving my right hand to what my eyes are seeing, instead of what my brain is thinking.

I now have about 4 rounds in with my JuanPutt and it is certainly easier to make short putts although I had a couple that I just flat-out missed from 3-4 feet yesterday. The yip in my stroke is gone with this technique. The biggest problem remains longer putts. I seems to have trouble getting it to the hole. I had a number of 15-40 foot birdie putts and left all of them well short of the hole. I'm going to practice lag putting this week but I am always interested in what others who use this technique do to overcome this problem.

I really struggled with the Juan Putt with longer putts. I think the putter felt too short compared to my LFI, head too heavy, and shaft too soft, if that makes sense.

So its probably just a feel thing that you still need to get used to.

I still leave big uphill putts and big sweeping putts short consistently, but it does help feeling so much better over 5 ft putts, lol. I guess thats the benefit of more confidence in the shorter putts, the long ones don't have to be near as close to 2 putt.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hear how you guys hold the top hand. In one or two fingers or the whole hand?

I use one finger with the thumb resting on top of the club. The other fingers look like they're gripping the handle but they're not - they're just in a very relaxed position around and barely touching it.

I would like to hear how you guys hold the top hand. In one or two fingers or the whole hand?

I use one finger with the thumb resting on top of the club. The other fingers look like they're gripping the handle but they're not - they're just in a very relaxed position around and barely touching it.

Same here, with the left forearm and the left thumb pointed at the hole, and the left elbow pressed into my ribcage. Straight Randy Haag gospel, really. If you watch his videos or read his blog about face on, he always says that is the biggest fundamental of face on; keeping the top hand still and acting only as a fulcrum. He doesn't necessarily explain WHY that is such a big deal, but he is correct, I think.

If I grip with more fingers of the top hand, and/or don't lock the elbow into my body, then problems start creep in. The only other recurring issue for me is not releasing the club down the line (popping the ball) and that, too, becomes less of an issue when the top hand/arm setup is correct.

New Bobby Grace F22 just delivered, going into play this weekend. More to follow...

Have not seen the F22 in person, is the face the same width (toe to heel) as the LFI or wider?

Thanks BDot.

The F22 is bigger in every direction, by approx. a half inch. But the big difference is the weight; the F22 is even heavier than the JuanPutt, which surprised me. (FWIW, my JP, DF, and now F22 are all 44"; my LFI is 42".)

New Bobby Grace F22 just delivered, going into play this weekend. More to follow...

Have not seen the F22 in person, is the face the same width (toe to heel) as the LFI or wider?

Thanks BDot.

The F22 is bigger in every direction, by approx. a half inch. But the big difference is the weight; the F22 is even heavier than the JuanPutt, which surprised me. (FWIW, my JP, DF, and now F22 are all 44"; my LFI is 42".)

Thank you, just what I was hoping...just went and snagged one off ebay...which is big as I do 'this' lefty :) Hard to find...mine has the new insert but not the asskicker shaft.

How would one design a face forward putter head. I have a DF that when swung, goes exactly where you point it...great on a good stroke. It's not face balanced. It has 0% bias. All good. Then there are face balanced, most FF putter heads are. It doesn't twist on the forward stroke, again all good. With a good stroke. It has 50% bias. One way (these are not facts, just my supposing)

My problem. my stroke doesn't miss on the forward swing. I miss on the back swing. Am I making sense? :) I would like to see

putter head that is face balanced going both back and thru. 100% bias. Is there something like that out there? I would even settle for one that was just face balanced going back, if I'm in the slot, it's good, out of the slot, reroute, not good :)

Thanks BDot.

Thank you, just what I was hoping...just went and snagged one off ebay...which is big as I do 'this' lefty :) Hard to find...mine has the new insert but not the asskicker shaft.

I didn't get the AK shaft, either. I had that on BG's original face on putter and didn't love it. He custom drilled the head to put the shaft just off the center line and back from the face; very pleased with it.

How would one design a face forward putter head. I have a DF that when swung, goes exactly where you point it...great on a good stroke. It's not face balanced. It has 0% bias. All good. Then there are face balanced, most FF putter heads are. It doesn't twist on the forward stroke, again all good. With a good stroke. It has 50% bias. One way (these are not facts, just my supposing)

My problem. my stroke doesn't miss on the forward swing. I miss on the back swing. Am I making sense? :) I would like to see

putter head that is face balanced going both back and thru. 100% bias. Is there something like that out there? I would even settle for one that was just face balanced going back, if I'm in the slot, it's good, out of the slot, reroute, not good :)

I don't know what you mean by "bias" with percentages. But a DF works great as a face on putter. My only regret about my DF is that I didn't get them to weight the head differently; I really believe in the "lie angle balanced" idea. I may yet send it back to them to see what they can do with it, but adding weight my self with tungsten powder or something like that would screw up the lie angle balancing.

Just opinion, but here's my take on the "design" elements of a face on putter, whether it was made for that purpose, or is being repurposed. Roughly, these are in order of what I think is most important.

1. The lie angle has to be 80 degrees, which is the minimum allowed. This is an absolute must, otherwise you lose a lot of the benefit of the method.

2. There should be very little loft, no more than a couple of degrees. (Some guys who put face on don't think this is a big deal, btw.)

3. You have to figure out the correct length for you; there's a balance between standing up enough to allow a free arm swing, and looking more down the line than down at the ball. I started longer, tried shorter, and ended up at 44".

4. The putter should at least be face balanced, or like DF, lie angle balanced. Because you are going to be making a straight-back, straight-thru stroke, this is even a bigger deal than with a conventional putter.

5. A heavier head is probably going to be better than a lighter one, though you can get used to a lighter head. The overall weight of my DF is 724 grams; the F22 is 852 grams. If that sounds like a big difference, believe me, it is! There are some trade-offs either way, but on balance, heavier is better.

I don't know what you mean by "bias" with percentages. But a DF works great as a face on putter. My only regret about my DF is that I didn't get them to weight the head differently; I really believe in the "lie angle balanced" idea. I may yet send it back to them to see what they can do with it, but adding weight my self with tungsten powder or something like that would screw up the lie angle balancing.

Just opinion, but here's my take on the "design" elements of a face on putter, whether it was made for that purpose, or is being repurposed. Roughly, these are in order of what I think is most important.

1. The lie angle has to be 80 degrees, which is the minimum allowed. This is an absolute must, otherwise you lose a lot of the benefit of the method.

2. There should be very little loft, no more than a couple of degrees. (Some guys who put face on don't think this is a big deal, btw.)

3. You have to figure out the correct length for you; there's a balance between standing up enough to allow a free arm swing, and looking more down the line than down at the ball. I started longer, tried shorter, and ended up at 44".

4. The putter should at least be face balanced, or like DF, lie angle balanced. Because you are going to be making a straight-back, straight-thru stroke, this is even a bigger deal than with a conventional putter.

5. A heavier head is probably going to be better than a lighter one, though you can get used to a lighter head. The overall weight of my DF is 724 grams; the F22 is 852 grams. If that sounds like a big difference, believe me, it is! There are some trade-offs either way, but on balance, heavier is better.

1. Absolutely agree.

2. Depends on a couple of variables. The more vertical you hold the putter (toe down), the more having no, or little loft becomes important. I also think ball placement affects this. I have the ball about 6 inches in front of the fulcrum of my swing (my left hand) - so I don't want much loft as I'll already be swinging up on the ball. Someone who places the ball directly under their fulcrum might benefit from having more loft on their putter face (but they better not be holding it vertical!....) In general though, I think less loft is better.

3. Yes, the length of the putter requires some experimentation. I'm 6'0" and use a 46" putter. I've tried as tall as 48" and as short as 42". 46" is my sweet spot.

4. Absolutely agree with this too.

5. I too like a heavier head. Makes it so I don't have to force the natural pendulum swing a Sidesaddle stoke gives you. Plus, I suffer from a little bit of "tremors" in my hands and a heavy putter helps negate that.

6. One last aspect is where do you like to grip the putter with your right hand (for right handers) - higher or lower on the shaft? Would determine where you put the bottom part of your split grip.

Thanks BDot.

You obviously have too many putters! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to sell one - just not the JP.

Boy I tell you its frustrating to hit so many good looking putts and have nothing go in.

Took a few days off work and played a few rounds. Shot 71 and 73. I hit probably 13-14 greens a round with tons of putts inside 25 feet. The 71 was just due to hitting a wedge to gimmie range on 18 for a birdie.

Still struggling with the speed, I gotta find me a good way to acclimate myself to green speed changes, or just become overall much more aggressive when putting side saddle. I really left 2 sub 70 rounds out there this weekend if I had hit all my putts a combined 5ft harder.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Thanks BDot.

You obviously have too many putters! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to sell one - just not the JP.

I do have a lot of putters; hopefully, this will be the last one for awhile.

Wonder how many times I've said THAT over the last 40 years?

Boy I tell you its frustrating to hit so many good looking putts and have nothing go in.

Took a few days off work and played a few rounds. Shot 71 and 73. I hit probably 13-14 greens a round with tons of putts inside 25 feet. The 71 was just due to hitting a wedge to gimmie range on 18 for a birdie.

Still struggling with the speed, I gotta find me a good way to acclimate myself to green speed changes, or just become overall much more aggressive when putting side saddle. I really left 2 sub 70 rounds out there this weekend if I had hit all my putts a combined 5ft harder.

We all been there, and fwiw, I don't see that as related to the putting METHOD at all. Getting the speed right, especially when going from course to course, is always an issue, and putting side saddle doesn't change that. I actually started putting face on three years ago for exactly that reason; I just felt like I needed to see if there was a way to make more putts than I was making. It turns out the answer was, "Well, sort of..."; what has happened is much, much less three putting. I still don't drop a lot of bombs, and that's ok.

I heard Martin Hall ask one of the LPGA pros what percentage of her practice time was spent on the short game, and she said it varied depending on whether she was at home or out on Tour. On Tour, she said she spent much more time on the short game, just trying to get used to the different grasses and green speeds.

The other thing that you might find interesting if you haven't already read it is the Mark Broadie research on how many putts the pros actually make outside 10'; it's way less than we usually believe. Good putting is really about three putt avoidance more than making a lot of long bombs. I think the pros are inside 9' before they start making over 50%, but from 4' and in they are just deadly. And you must be doing pretty well with that, or you couldn't shoot 71-73, no matter how many greens you hit, right?

We all been there, and fwiw, I don't see that as related to the putting METHOD at all. Getting the speed right, especially when going from course to course, is always an issue, and putting side saddle doesn't change that. I actually started putting face on three years ago for exactly that reason; I just felt like I needed to see if there was a way to make more putts than I was making. It turns out the answer was, "Well, sort of..."; what has happened is much, much less three putting. I still don't drop a lot of bombs, and that's ok.

I heard Martin Hall ask one of the LPGA pros what percentage of her practice time was spent on the short game, and she said it varied depending on whether she was at home or out on Tour. On Tour, she said she spent much more time on the short game, just trying to get used to the different grasses and green speeds.

The other thing that you might find interesting if you haven't already read it is the Mark Broadie research on how many putts the pros actually make outside 10'; it's way less than we usually believe. Good putting is really about three putt avoidance more than making a lot of long bombs. I think the pros are inside 9' before they start making over 50%, but from 4' and in they are just deadly. And you must be doing pretty well with that, or you couldn't shoot 71-73, no matter how many greens you hit, right?

Oh sure, I totally understand that.

I guess I'm just saying on the side saddle aspect, I've struggled adjusting to green speeds more than I did with a short putter. BUT with the side saddle, almost everything starts on line and thats a huge thing for me. I'd rather miss it pulled 3" to the left than 2 rolls just dead center, it just feels less degrading I guess saying "oh i hit a bad putt there" than saying "oh you hit and read that perfect you just wussed it up there". If that makes any sense lol

Thanks BDot.

I do have a lot of putters; hopefully, this will be the last one for awhile.

Wonder how many times I've said THAT over the last 40 years?

Lol....me too....

My Sidesaddle inventory now includes:

GP Putter

Juan Putter

Seemore SB1 (special order)

Railgun

Bobby Grace LFI

Directed Force

Bobby Grace F22

Mine, in chronological order:

GP putter

JuanPutt

Bobby Grace LFI, version 1

Bobby Grace LFI, version 2

STX

Directed Force

Bobby Grace F-22

A couple of very defensive thoughts about how I came to own 7 of these things: First of all, it ain't like you can go into Golf Galaxy and try the face on putters; you either buy one direct, or you take a pass.

So I got the GP first simply because it was actually sold retail in the pro shop at Duke, and I happened to be in Durham for a few days; I don't think I would have bought it at all if I had tried any of the others first because it's just too small and too light for me.

Which led to the JuanPutt, which is bigger and heavier.

The STX I got really cheap on the Bay because Randy Haag uses it; cheap experiment.

The first two Bobby Grace attempts I bought because I think he just does great work, but at the time I bought them, I just wasn't far enough along to know what I did and did not need. The first one was really made more for the Kuchar arm-lock style, and I just flat out bought the wrong specs on the second one.

The DF is a REALLY good putter, though perhaps 80 grams or so too light for a 44" length.

The F-22 is the fault (or credit?) of the guys on this thread who had great things to say about it, and I must say that it seems to be worth the hype.

Obviously, I'm all in on this, and I'm lucky enough to be married to a wonderful and beautiful woman who never looks in the hall closet.

Yeah thats my big thing. If I want to rock the boat, I can't just pop into the pro shop and buy one.

I have gone:

Cure RX3 - straight shaft at 45" and 500g, tried it one round, loved it then immediately bought the next two

LFI - Proto version (no insert, gray) backup #1

Juan Putt - onto a better home

LFI - retail version, backup #2

STX Bowtie - onto a better home

LFI - retail version with broken shaft I sent to BG to replace the shaft, only to end up trading it in and getting my current gamer

F22 - best of the bunch so far. Only odd thing is putting the headcover on face first.

The LFI retail is my backup #2 just because I putt better when there is some offset between the shaft angle and the face. The proto LFI and the F22 both have the shaft about 1/2" behind the face, while the retail LFI is more even with the face. Just a personal thing, but thats really how I like to see the putter.

I don't know about many of the other options out there minus the GP, but a ton of people haven't had great things to say about it regarding the weight. I wish we had some more options! I might look into talking to a boutique putter company and see about having a custom made. I just wish a pro would use it so a major manufacturer would make one! Just imagine a TM Tour Spider set up to side saddle. I'd be all over that.

Also, if anyone has the LFI with the gray head (no insert) and looking to move it let me know!

On number 4, I don't think the face balance, toe, or heel hang really matters much. You hold theputter tight enough, and the stroke is not fast enough to create enough torque to matter.

it is really annoying not being able to try out a ss putter before you buy it. thats why I feel like most people don't try this method. I am starting to have a little collection of ss putters myself lol. mine include both right handed and left handed ones. Due too the fact that when I first tried this style I had no idea what I was doing. Mine include right handed Gp putter at 45 in, a $50 mallet ss putter which is 45 in and I actually really liked it and it was my first ss putter, left handed a Juan putt at 43 inches, a L2 LL putter which is 50 inches and it weighs a ton. A Stx bowtie with the red insert, and finally my gamer at the moment a Gp at 50 inches with a lot of lead tape on the bottom. I think it definitely takes some trial and error to see which length works for you. I would love to try more but its hard to find Left handed ss putters. I would like to try a bobby grace putter but they are hard to find left handed and I don't like the double sided one that they have on their website. I might try the DF putter as I have heard good things about the putter well see as I am putting good with the Gp putter at the moment.

Ok, I think I'm willing to commit:

The Bobby Grace F-22 is the best of the bunch. Super easy to line up, beautifully balanced, and lovely to gaze upon, too.

I think this will be the last putter I ever buy. Until the next one...

The "super easy to line up" was big for me. Also the insert. I've noticed a lot fewer putts coming up short - and I believe its do to my slightly off center hits not losing any distance.

It's my last putter too.....until another toy comes along.....lol.....

GP putter

JuanPutt

STX

Directed Force

Bobby Grace F-22

A couple of very defensive thoughts about how I came to own 7 of these things: First of all, it ain't like you can go into Golf Galaxy and try the face on putters; you either buy one direct, or you take a pass.

So I got the GP first simply because it was actually sold retail in the pro shop at Duke, and I happened to be in Durham for a few days; I don't think I would have bought it at all if I had tried any of the others first because it's just too small and too light for me.

The STX I got really cheap on the Bay because Randy Haag uses it; cheap experiment.

The first two Bobby Grace attempts I bought because I think he just does great work, but at the time I bought them, I just wasn't far enough along to know what I did and did not need. The first one was really made more for the Kuchar arm-lock style, and I just flat out bought the wrong specs on the second one.

The DF is a REALLY good putter, though perhaps 80 grams or so too light for a 44" length.

The F-22 is the fault (or credit?) of the guys on this thread who had great things to say about it, and I must say that it seems to be worth the hype.

Obviously, I'm all in on this, and I'm lucky enough to be married to a wonderful and beautiful woman who never looks in the hall closet.

Is the LFI version 1 a F35? Is it much different from the F22?

GP putter

JuanPutt

STX

Directed Force

Bobby Grace F-22

Is the LFI version 1 a F35? Is it much different from the F22?

Correct; the original BG LFI was an F35 head. (The second LFI was not a numbered BG model.)

Just looking at the two heads side by side, the F35 is a little bit bigger than the F22, both in face width and front to back depth of the head and the shapes are similar; the F35 is a little more rounded on the edges, while the edges of the F22 are more squared off. The weighting, though, seems different; there is one less weight port on the F35, and all of the ports are on the sole; two ports on the F22 are on the back of the putter on each side of the alignment line. Overall, the heads are pretty much the same weight, but TO ME the F22 seems to release down the line much more easily.

I didn't use the F35 for long; the shaft configuration just never felt comfortable to me. There was so much shaft lean that in order to get my hands in front of my body and the head soled, the ball had to be even or behind my front toe, which screwed up being able to look down the line. As I've said, I really think that putter was designed with the Kuchar arm-lock as the primary design goal, and with face on as sort of another option. The second LFI, and now the F22 are completely different from the first version.