side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Anyone interested in some general reviews of the various side saddle putters I have used?

Current inventory includes: F22, LFI (stock), LFI (prototype), Bomar Putting BB10, and a few long putters I've used side saddle. Used a few others as well that I can just make mentions off of what I remember, but these are the big ones that are mostly available retail.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I will tell you, initial thoughts are the head is VERY small. Much smaller than I initially thought and while the head is small, it is more difficult to play at a more 90* straight up-and-down set up for some reason. I was also not a fan of the single grip at the top. So first thing I did when I got it was cut it down (ordered a 48" and cut down to what my F22 is) and put a 2 piece WInn on there.

Feel is great, very solid, head weight is OK but I prefer a bit heavier. Honestly, if you have ever tried the STX "bowtie" putter, this is a higher quality one of those in a slightly smaller package without the completely mush face.

I'm not done with the putter or anything, but I need to spend some time practicing with it to decide if it will stay in the rotation or I need to send it out to pasture and see if anyone on here wants it.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

As of right now, the two that get the most play for me are my F22 (current gamer and most play over the past couple of years by far) and my LFI prototype (its a silver head with no insert).

What I like most about these two is that they have the ass-kicker shaft and the face is more out in front of the shaft than like the retail LFI.

The hands down best one I've putted with yet is the F22, however, I do wish I could basically get everything about the F22, in a slightly smaller package and around 475g. Thats why I do like to keep the LFI proto around because thats basically what it is (just wish it had the insert, the insert is the best one I've ever putted with). I've emailed Bobby Grace to see if he could put the ass-kicker in the F18 and put it at 80* and around 45" but he doesn't want to do that because the head can't get weighted up enough to where he likes side saddles to be, which I can appreciate.

While the F22 is expensive, if you've played with the side saddle idea and want to stick with it, it will be the best investment you'll make.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have literally tried every type of putting and putter, but despite playing reasonable golf I was consistently the worst putter in the group even when playing with high handicappers. I am right handed and left eye dominant and no matter how carefully I lined up my putt when I stood over the ball it appeared to be aiming way left, making it very difficult to put a good stroke on it. I also had a tendency to take the putter away to the outside. I am now using a GP putter, I cut it down a little so my left forearm (top hand) was parallel to the ground. Before I bit the bullet I experimented using driver (same length) just to get a feel for the movement, and I have to say it felt comfortable and right from the off so I went for the GP as I like the vertical shaft technique. So far very happy with the results, feel confident on putts inside 6ft even if they don't go in. Lag putts do take some getting used to but I've found the answer is to follow Mr Dionne, the designers, advice, SHORT BACK AND FOLLOW THROUGH TO THE HOLE. Don't really get many comments and I couldn't care less, handicap now 6, my dream was to get to single figures. With regard to some comments above I do wonder if you don't see instant results or don't feel comfortable maybe it's not for you, could be wrong because it just felt right to me from the first stroke.

• Like 1

This is everyone’s story to some degree.

Had a kid on the practice green ask if I’ve always played that way. Pretty full green. I just laughed and said no one starts putting this way. Got a good laugh out of a handful of people listening in.

At the time I was draining 20 footers like nothing.....wish that happened on the course lol

• Like 1

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Thought you guys might enjoyhttps://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1820184/whats-in-the-closet#latest

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

What would I have to do to make a TM Spider tour or a Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 into a Side saddle? Add lead tape to add weight to it to help with the longer shaft and two grips? Or should I abandon the idea? I've always wanted to play around with putter like this just to see how it goes.

Or should I just spend the $100 for the TM ghost ones on ebay to see how they are?

I think the most important aspect is having a lie angle of 80*

This, unfortunately, is very hard to find in a “normal” putter.

Generally you accept that the putter cannot be returned to normal unless a new shaft is obtained . Also a major clean up job.

Then bending to 79-80 degree angle is important - particularly if you are going to hold the shaft perpendicular to ground.

Then head weight. I have found that around 500 grams total head weight is good. I have achieved this with using some lead sheeting I had at hand.

I use the lead sheet to cover (fill in) the open ares of the putter. If not I will epoxy the shaped sheet to the base.

For me I have found most putters too light for using as side saddle.

I am not sure as to the legality of the lead sheet against lead tape but I do not play competitive golf. To get the weight I need it would take several rolls of lead tape. This would be expensive and difficult to apply. Happy experimenting.

I have honestly thought about trying to find someone to turn a spider into a side saddle putter. Find one of the older ones that was a long putter, have the shaft installed about 1/2" from the face (maybe even use one the slant necks to almost make it an ass-kicker saft), then just buy the heaviest weights you can find then add lead tape for the difference.

I just got a GP side saddle off of the BST, and I think it might be one of the best of them all that I've tried in all honesty. The BG is FANTASTIC, but given its weight (and honestly the head size is too big for my liking anymore), i tend to just let the putter do the work, which can lead to decelerations and poor strokes, but the GP is much smaller so I've got to focus on actually accelerating through the ball, which leads to a lot better efforts in all honesty.

The BG insert is by far the absolute best insert I've ever tried. I just wish I could talk him into basically making a 450g F18 head with the ass-kicker shaft so I can use it as a side saddle, but I've emailed BG and he has said he can only get it up to 400g and that doesn't work for how he likes to make side saddles.

If I had to rate all my side saddles I've used in the past/present, I'd rank them: 1) F22, 2) GP, 3) BG LFI (proto), 4) Bomar, 5) retail LFI, 6) Juan Putt, 7) STX Bowtie. I've had various long putters I've tried to use side saddle but they have not really worked, so I didn't include them (besides the STX).

Plus the biggest benefit of the GP is that it is the cheapest by far (less than $200 brand new I think, while the F22 runs closer to $450).

I basicly started side saddle putting with the GP putter. I have found After a few years for me the head is too light and I am inconsistent with distance. Also I find alignment a problem at times.

for me a larger heavier head with longer alignment lines improves my aim and distance control. I think finding ones correct head weight and shaft length very important. Not one size will fit all.

I do agree the head does feel a bit light, and honestly I prefer one solid line rather than the 2 on the sides of the ball. I just got done loading it up with lead tape for my round tomorrow so I'll give it a try and report back. Plus the putter is at 48" and I need to cut it down a little bit. But I shot 67 today with 5 birdies (0-4 on the par 5's, could have been a real round), so its hard to do much to the putter...

• Like 1

If I have to go back to SS, it would likely be with a GP putter held at 90*. I got decent putting side-saddle, but now that I learned how to putt conventionally I’m pretty good at it. If I couldn’t reach this level conventionally I would switch back to SS, because the floor is higher.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Is this anchoring?

My left forearm is held against the top of my belly. Maybe 2 or 3 inches of the forearm leaves the belly before the wrist. I prefer to keep the sole of the putter grounded lie angle closer to 80* rather than pendulum style

A few photos for reference. Had to get my wife to take them so not the greatest angle. Oddly she wasn’t super into it. lol

9WPRELG9P2FG.jpeg

7ZOPPQ2VSKP0.jpeg

EWGL3DA8301F.jpeg

JU9SIRENXSK8.jpeg

Forearm is Definitely held against body. So if that’s the case I’m quacking like a duck ? lol

Yep I think what everyone is saying sounds about right. I anchor my bicep against the side of my body then try to hold that top hand as absolutely still as possible. Then just do what I do and hope for the best.