2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

C'mon, bluedot. Call the USGA, or tremble under the covers.

I know that even though I use a face on putter, I'm not afraid. If I thought for one second that the USGA/R&A was contemplating a new Rule about that, I would have emailed or phoned the USGA Rules office already. I've done so over Rules and equipment many times over the past fifteen years. Sometimes, when referencing rumors, they might say that they don't know and that's a better answer than sitting at home and stewing.

Maybe you could go back and read the thread before you talk about me and the USGA; you have NO idea what you are talking about.

I'm not the one that said that the USGA was thinking about a ban, that the USGA would ban face on, or anything of the sort, ever, in this thread or any other. In fact, I've consistently said that the USGA would NOT ban face on even IF they wanted to simply because writing such a rule create more problems than it would solve. Go back and read my posts; I think you'll find several to that effect, and NONE that say that I fear such a ban or am worried about it.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be especially bothered by such a ban anyway; I putted well conventionally, and could go back to it happily; I just putt better face on. I decided to try it with a one-year commitment to see if I could just make a few more putts, which I do, so I've stayed with it. But I've been thru some things in the life of my family that have pretty much rendered me unafraid of much of anything, much less something having to do with golf.

But I must say, I find your suggestion that an employee at the USGA would answer the phone, today or any other day, and be able to tell me all (or any) of what the USGA was talking about behind closed doors at the executive level laughable.

The point I made originally is that I would have a real hard time if the USGA banned face on putting. With the history starting with Sam Snead then going to the anchor ban now the DeChambeau no explanation debacle it just seems very possible. I have been going through all of the questions and looks for years regarding the way I putt. Since I am different from the vast majority of putters, I always have that feeling it would be easy to eliminate such a small percentage of players for any reason they would like. I have always wanted a tour player to putt the way I do and as soon as this happened a controversy arose!

At least now this is a forum I can get involved in and talk with like minds about. Thanks!

I get WAY more comments at the club level than in tournaments.

It's true; the better the player(s), the more they understand that getting the ball in the hole is what it's about. Guys who play tournament golf are much more likely, IMO, to be looking for ways to play better, whatever that might mean, than they are with appearances.

Three quick notes about all of this:

1. As to Dechambeau, I am not the least bit surprised that there was a problem. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, as soon as I saw how he was holding the club and tried it myself, I thought that he MUST be holding the putter vertically, but I couldn't see the heel of the putter off the ground when he putted. Since the USGA ruled one of the putters he submitted to be conforming, but the one that he was using to be non-conforming, I'm guessing that the sole design allowed him to "tilt" the putter at address.

2. That said, it might be that the USGA is doing him a favor. Of all of the advantages of face on, the familiarity of the underhand, one-hand motion might be the biggest (that or vision, depending on the player) and Dechambeau's grip seems to me to give that advantage away. Gripping the right arm and the shaft with the left hand while holding the putter with the palm AWAY from the target seems VERY contrived relative to either the palm-facing or pencil grip with the left hand as a fulcrum.

3. Just THIS MORNING, one of the guys in my regular group said to me (right AFTER I had holed an 8 footer for par on the third hole!), "You know the USGA and the Tour ruled that Dechambeau couldn't putt that way, right?" This guy is a past president of the Augusta (GA) Country Club, has been a member of the USGA for decades, so we're not talking about a dope, right? I explained to him that the USGA had ruled Dechambeau's PUTTER nonconforming, rather than his grip or stance or stroke, but I'm not sure he believed me. Tiresome...

Congratulations!!! I just recently the Juanputt too. I have played about 6 rounds with it. I am still in the process of getting used to the technique though. I just received the Ice Cube putter today. WOW, is it beautiful. I was a little worried because it is just clear acrylic. But, after getting it in hand, it appears to be very well made. I am wanting to try out a longer Face-On putter to see which fits me better. I am hoping that it isn't too wet in the morning so I can do some sort of comparison.

Any thoughts on the Ice Cube putter? That is one bizarre idea/design. Just looking at it I would worry about the feel off the face...and I'm not sure if the clear head would help or hurt my alignment. I'd probably start somewhere else for now but curious what the feedback is on that thing

I'm surprised at the lack of legitimate side saddle/face on putters for sale through EBay or even the golfwrx BST. I've been hawking both but at this point I'll probably just settle for one of the usual suspects being sold on eBay. I did see like a 42" Scotty Cameron Futura on 2nd swing...Couldn't figure out what the hell the lie angle or headweight was though

Search sidesaddleputters.com in google and click on the first link. I bought my first side saddle putter from them and it was really good quality and a cheaper option. They don't have a wide variety of styles but they are a good entry level sidesaddle putter. Then if you do like they style and I do recommend practice, practice, practice, you can upgrade to a higher end side saddle putter. If this helps at all I am 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan and have a crouched over style like Sam Snead and I use a 43 inch putter.

Search sidesaddleputters.com in google and click on the first link. I bought my first side saddle putter from them and it was really good quality and a cheaper option. They don't have a wide variety of styles but they are a good entry level sidesaddle putter. Then if you do like they style and I do recommend practice, practice, practice, you can upgrade to a higher end side saddle putter. If this helps at all I am 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan and have a crouched over style like Sam Snead and I use a 43 inch putter.

Thanks. Looks like they have a few decent and affordable options. Did you have any serious preference on the reverse shafting vs regular?

I just bought the regular shafting. But the reverse shafting does sound pretty interesting. I would

Say just go with the regular one just too be on the safe side lol. That way if you do like the side saddle style the higher end models only come in a regular style shaft.

Yeah good call. I don't seen an option for it when ordering but I'll just request a normal shaft position.

Love the topic and have read all posts. I've a perfect sidesaddle putter that was made by Karl Higham with his company Putt Magic out of vegas. I had a look online and it seems he and his website are gone. He had been putting ss for 50 or 60 years. Maybe before Sam. I bought mine about 10 years ago from Karl. Talked to him on the phone for awhile. He had a fantastic website with tons of sidesaddle info on it. And he made putters. What makes his a little different than most is that they are reversed shafted. There's at least one current manufacturer I see making one. The shaft is bent and goes in the top on the far side instead of the center or center rear area.

After using other sidesaddle putters and then using his with the reverse shaft I actually don't understand how all of them aren't reversed shafted. It's seems to me to be the optimum design. It's really allows you to get your eyes over your line very easily.

So originally my putter was 40" with a split grip. I used it that way for many years. Then I cut it down to 35.5", slapped a fat 3.0 super stroke on it and have loved it so much more ever since. I just prefer to have the shorter shaft than the longer one. I can pretty much grab any conventional putter from my buddies and putt sidesaddle better than they can normal.

I use my thumb over the top of the grip method and just put my other hand on the metal shaft just below the grip.

But all of that is also the beauty of face on putting, there's no one right way. Whatever works for you. But I will say don't be scared to go below 40". If you cut it and don't like it you can always put the shaft length back on and put whatever grip you want on it.

I also found with the longer shat that I tended to rest my left forearm on my belly / chest area and never knew at the time if it would be considered anchoring. With the shorter putter my left arm is a good distance from my body. Just try ss with a normal putter and you should see what I mean.

I line my toes side by side like I'm on the end of a diving board and play my ball just off my right toes. I don't have a stagger stance.

I keep my eye on the ball the whole time keeping my head still and don't look at the hole.

As far as the USGA doing something about it, I'm zero concerned about it. It will never happen. There's no way to write a rule. Like someone else said, it's just a very open stance.

I'll try to post a pic of my putter. Putt on ?

I remember seeing that website poolpond, it was around for a long time. Do you know if any of the reverse shafted putters were ever usga approved? I am just curious as I haven't ever seen one advertised.

I like your idea of putting with a shorter face on putter. After trying 4 or 5 long shafted ss putters, I have a short shaft ss putter on order from Australia and can't wait to try it. I always felt too far from the ball with the longer putters and felt I did not have the touch I wanted in pressure putts. You are correct though, there are a lot of options when it comes to ss techniques.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

I will look for some of my old paperwork as I remember printing off pretty much his entire website at the time. It was more or less the bible of sidesaddle information. He was by far the most in-depth and knowledgeable sidesaddle expert there was. I wonder if he's still alive. He would be 80 years old this year so he easily could still be around but the lack of a website concerns me. Could explain why his website is gone.

And yes all of his putter were and still are 100% conforming. It's a total flat soled bottom so when placed on the ground in a "normal address position" the shaft has the 10 degrees of angle. There's really no way to use the putter on a more vertical line than 10 degrees. So the fact that it is reversed shafted has nothing to do with conformity. So like I said, I have no idea why they all aren't reversed. I've tried numerous sidesaddle putters over the last 15+ years and if it isn't reversed shafted then I feel like it's almost there but just lacking the last step to make it truly optimal. I know Karl felt the same way and he had been studying this style of putting in-depth for 50+ years. The reverse shaft is really the only way to "easily" get your eyes and head directly over the line of your putt. It simply puts you over it and you don't have to try and contort your body and head to get over there. Or not be over there at all which you really need to be. And his shafts utilized a reverse double bend to achieve this. All totally legal. Kind of similar to the Hammy shaft which was deemed 100% legal by the USGA and still is.

And there definitely is at least one current manufacturer selling a reversed shafted sidesaddle putter.

My style is a little different than say Randy Haag's. First of all I don't just hold the top with the thumb and pointer finger of my left hand. I put my thumb over the top and kind of give it a full grip. But it doesn't move around and I Know that's what Randy says can not happen. And my right hand holds the shaft with my palm facing up and opposed to his and many other's style of the palm facing down. So basically my right pointer finger is pointed at the ground while Randy's is closer to pointed at the sky

Thanks for the info! Great stuff. I'm 6'2" w/ a 34" sleeve length, and have tried everything from 50" to 39". I've found at the longer lengths, my stroke has more flow and my touch is better, but my control of start line isn't as automatic. Shorter gives better control of start line, but I get poppier with the stroke. At my current length (41"), I believe I may have found my preferred style. I'm getting my forearm almost parallel to the line, and it feels like I'm shooting pool. It's just the right arm moving from the shoulder joint. I've committed to going the entire year without using a conventional putter, to really give this a shot.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

That's kind of how I feel with the shorter shaft, more control. And if you remember, KJ Choi was using a very short putter. Maybe 33 or 34". And I vividly remember watching him use it live on tv and thinking who is showing him his technique as it looked odd and I wasn't at all surprised when he ditched it right away. I think it was Juan but it just didn't look right, comfortable or optimal. It looked bad all around. But not as bad as Bryson. Who in the world is showing him that technique? Or is it all him? It's so bad that why even bother to putt SS if that's how you're going to do it? Don't reinvent Sammy's wheel. It doesn't need reinventing. Just grip up top, throw the other hand down and go. Straight back-straight through. Screw around with different length's, heads, shafts and stances, looking at hole v ball etc.. but no need to go that far off of the reservation. You're not going to gain anything.

I remember seeing that website poolpond, it was around for a long time. Do you know if any of the reverse shafted putters were ever usga approved? I am just curious as I haven't ever seen one advertised.

I like your idea of putting with a shorter face on putter. After trying 4 or 5 long shafted ss putters, I have a short shaft ss putter on order from Australia and can't wait to try it. I always felt too far from the ball with the longer putters and felt I did not have the touch I wanted in pressure putts. You are correct though, there are a lot of options when it comes to ss techniques.

Which putter is that?

Which putter is that?

Wonder Putter. You can find some old infomercial type clips on YouTube of Marty Fleckman rolling one. Love his setup/action (as well as full swing lol).

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

That's kind of how I feel with the shorter shaft, more control. And if you remember, KJ Choi was using a very short putter. Maybe 33 or 34". And I vividly remember watching him use it live on tv and thinking who is showing him his technique as it looked odd and I wasn't at all surprised when he ditched it right away. I think it was Juan but it just didn't look right, comfortable or optimal. It looked bad all around. But not as bad as Bryson. Who in the world is showing him that technique? Or is it all him? It's so bad that why even bother to putt SS if that's how you're going to do it? Don't reinvent Sammy's wheel. It doesn't need reinventing. Just grip up top, throw the other hand down and go. Straight back-straight through. Screw around with different length's, heads, shafts and stances, looking at hole v ball etc.. but no need to go that far off of the reservation. You're not going to gain anything.

I understand his theory. He's essentially creating a one lever stroke pure pendulum stroke. The problem is he's obviously uncomfortable, the grip is awkward, and he's taking all of the feel out of his hands. To me, one of the primary benefits of side-saddle putting is that all of your feel is in your dominant hand. Lots of touch and feel.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Which putter is that?

Wonder Putter. You can find some old infomercial type clips on YouTube of Marty Fleckman rolling one. Love his setup/action (as well as full swing lol).

They still have a website for the sale of their putters, just google wonderputter. If you type in on the site (3 putt) you will find another video on the site. I ordered putter to try on out. If I really like it, they also have a "smart putter" than can be ordered and they will custom build it to your specs. My order is currently stuck in customs so I am not sure when it will arrive.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I understand his theory. He's essentially creating a one lever stroke pure pendulum stroke. The problem is he's obviously uncomfortable, the grip is awkward, and he's taking all of the feel out of his hands. To me, one of the primary benefits of side-saddle putting is that all of your feel is in your dominant hand. Lots of touch and feel.

I couldn't agree more about the hand and touch. It's like rolling a ball. Which is maybe why I hold my right hand on my shaft as if I'm rolling a ball. When you hold it like Randy does it seems somewhat strange to me because you would never roll a ball out of your hand like that.

Yeah I see what Bryson's theory is and I bet that is what the USGA had a issue with. His shaft was too vertical for that type of stroke. They probably told him if he wanted to putt that way his shaft had to have at least a 20 degree angle or possible more. They leave that area grey for themselves in the rules intentionally. With my stroke I don't have to worry about that as I'm not trying to get my shaft vertical. My shaft stays at its 10 degree angle the whole time. If I moved it up straight, it would take the left side of my putter head off the ground by quite a bit.

Irie all!

8a1b2e2d69b8dedce856892d8a825c57.jpga92ce16618505a8fd4cf899b915c8082.jpg

Just picked this one up, hope to get some practice in this week with it.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using a Cure putter (RX3) cranked all the way up to 80*? With the straight shaft the face would be ahead of the shaft, but not near what some of these specific side saddles are. But overall it seems like it might be a viable option if you want to try one, and then if you don't like it you can just make it a normal Cure putter.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

• 3 weeks later...

J-Tizzle, do you have the current model "Lets Face It" in that you could post a few photos with a ball at address? Trying to get feel for the size of the head and shape of the shaft. It's tough to lay out cash for these putters without being able to roll a few.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying one and thought I would post some pics if anyone is considering a purchase aae4841d9882d084b5953362f3dccddd.jpgb82f9fb4914d371290414166d032cd57.jpg71e3cb71de699a901dd2e6ecf7af9140.jpg

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I ended up buying one and thought I would post some pics if anyone is considering a purchase aae4841d9882d084b5953362f3dccddd.jpgb82f9fb4914d371290414166d032cd57.jpg71e3cb71de699a901dd2e6ecf7af9140.jpg

Very nice!

I love the look of the black head on it, I could very well see myself buying another and just flip flop between the two as my putters.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Kenstl - it looks as if both of those Grips have a flat side, which makes the putter non-conforming. Just a heads up in case you're playing with guys who care...

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Kenstl - it looks as if both of those Grips have a flat side, which makes the putter non-conforming. Just a heads up in case you're playing with guys who care...

Almost every putter grip sold on the market has a flat side, please explain.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24