side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

Hi Side Saddlers.

I have been working my way through 41 pages of content and am thankful for all the thoughts and experiences you have shared here. I have never given thought to side saddling, broomstick putting or anything outrageous other than left hand low.

In fact, I had never given much thought to putting in general and had come to accept that it is simply the part of the game I have least understanding as well as lust to improve on for. But recently I decided I want to become a scratch player and had to face the fact that at the very least I had to become comfortable at the greens. Ideally I would start to love the process of improving in putting.

For me with traditional putting, I just don’t have a clue. It is the best way to describe it. I can’t figure out whether I don’t putt it on the line, I can’t see the line, my blade angle at impact can be close to anything. My stroke is fairly consistent it appeared though when at club champion.

But all the different things going on and just not having a clue on the line when I’m set up to stroke my put make my mind run wild. I’m never comfortable on the green let alone confident. The shorter the put the worse it gets.

I saw this thread pop up in the “recent posts” timeline and without truly knowing what it is I clicked on it and it seemed like the world all of a sudden starts to make sense again. Off course you want to side saddle putt. It is the most natural way to set up, look at the target, see a line (and keep seeing the line from the same angle) and have a binocular vision of the distance and contour the putt has to go over. And the easiest way to get a repeatable stroke.

This winter I will dedicate time to converting to Side Saddle putting and will actually start practice putting. Reading this thread it seems that the F-22 is the putter for this method. Not really a way to ease into this new habit from a financial perspective. But I know myself, I probably best go all in right now rather than spent a good bit of money through different putters growing into the F-22.

That said, if anyone of you is wanting to sell one of their F-22 putters, please PM me.

I see that Bobby Grace is only 2.5 hours from Atlanta, I think I might drive up there one day and meet the man and his facility in person if that is possible.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @J-Tizzle said:   > Yep, I've said it several times, the hardest part of SS/FO putting is making sure you have thick skin. If you can make it 9 holes and roll in a few putts, they will quiet

The only things I might encourage you to do is keep very careful before and after stats, if you don't already, and then maybe to read up on the Strokes Gained Putting data about what Tour pros actuall

> @AKGator said: > Thanks, I can build something like that with 2x4’s.   IMO, this is an absolutely CRITICAL piece of the process of converting to face on putting, for three reasons. First,

On 10/11/2020 at 11:17 PM, Jimi Thing said:

Hi Side Saddlers.

I have been working my way through 41 pages of content and am thankful for all the thoughts and experiences you have shared here. I have never given thought to side saddling, broomstick putting or anything outrageous other than left hand low.

In fact, I had never given much thought to putting in general and had come to accept that it is simply the part of the game I have least understanding as well as lust to improve on for. But recently I decided I want to become a scratch player and had to face the fact that at the very least I had to become comfortable at the greens. Ideally I would start to love the process of improving in putting.

For me with traditional putting, I just don’t have a clue. It is the best way to describe it. I can’t figure out whether I don’t putt it on the line, I can’t see the line, my blade angle at impact can be close to anything. My stroke is fairly consistent it appeared though when at club champion.

But all the different things going on and just not having a clue on the line when I’m set up to stroke my put make my mind run wild. I’m never comfortable on the green let alone confident. The shorter the put the worse it gets.

I saw this thread pop up in the “recent posts” timeline and without truly knowing what it is I clicked on it and it seemed like the world all of a sudden starts to make sense again. Off course you want to side saddle putt. It is the most natural way to set up, look at the target, see a line (and keep seeing the line from the same angle) and have a binocular vision of the distance and contour the putt has to go over. And the easiest way to get a repeatable stroke.

This winter I will dedicate time to converting to Side Saddle putting and will actually start practice putting. Reading this thread it seems that the F-22 is the putter for this method. Not really a way to ease into this new habit from a financial perspective. But I know myself, I probably best go all in right now rather than spent a good bit of money through different putters growing into the F-22.

That said, if anyone of you is wanting to sell one of their F-22 putters, please PM me.

I see that Bobby Grace is only 2.5 hours from Atlanta, I think I might drive up there one day and meet the man and his facility in person if that is possible.

I don't think you'll find anyone more helpful or easier to work with than Bobby Grace.  If you call him, he'll be the one that answers the phone, and he'll talk to you at length about how to build out your putter.  You might get suggestions from him about length, for instance.  I'd lean toward getting the putter longer; you can always reduce the length later if you like.

If you do this, go all in.  Once you start, don't go back and forth; that only slows down the process.  And spend a LOT of time early on a putting mat if you can; straight, flat putts until you become assured that your stroke is solid on 3-5 footers.  On a green, there's all sorts of stuff that causes a putt to get offline, and you need to KNOW that it wasn't the stroke. 

I think for most of us, the big hurdle in the early days of side saddle was distance control on longer putts.  Trust the process, and believe that any issues with that are temporary.  You have a massive data base in your head about putting; grain, slope, speed, uphill/downhill, etc.  To me, the conversion is similar to using another language; you have to convert the data base from conventional two-handed putting to putting with one hand.  Really, it doesn't even take that long. 

And you have to vaccinate yourself mentally against two viruses.  One is not looking at every putt as a referendum on the method.  If you have a 50' putt and leave it 5' short, that's not a putting problem; it's an approach problem.  But if you're not careful, you'll think that you must have done something wrong with the method, which just isn't the case, and, of course, you never know but what you would have missed by even more putting conventionally.

And the other virus is the reaction of other players.  Good players won't bat an eye, and, if anything will be interested.  But guys who think they are good sometimes just go nuts; the only thing I've even be able to figure out is that it's threatening to them because it may mean that they are "doing it wrong".  A few weeks back in a CGA senior four ball, one of the guys that my partner and I were playing with said two or three times during the round that if he putted that way, he'd never make a putt!  Well, the catch of course was that I did and he didn't; he shot 90+ with a half dozen three putts.  Meanwhile, his partner, who really was a good player, never said a word until after the round, and then he wanted to talk about it as a way to play golf. 

Good luck, and enjoy the journey; it's a better way to roll a golf ball.

• Like 2

Hi bluedot, thanks for your lengthy response and encouragements. What you state on the recalibration of the speed database and the remark on the referendum makes a lot of sense.

I’ll reach out to Bobby soon, the F-22 seems the way to go. Does anyone happen to know the differences between the F-22, the F-18 and the F-35? I can’t find any information related to that. Especially the F-35, it seems the same as the F-22. My thought as well on getting a longer putter. Since he is relatively close, my thought is I drive up there soon and get a fitting.

The good thing is, I don’t have a whole lot to go back to. If I just look at results my putting is not poor, Strokes gained putting is on par with a 5hcp.  However, if I look at how I feel on the greens I don’t think I can sink any lower. I never get comfortable and that affects my joy on the greens. I want that feeling I get on the tee or on an approach or chip, conquer the course as best I can.

How great would it be I can add that game within the game and experience the beauty of it. And I am really positive I will. Just practicing without a putter in the house I feel so comfortable. Left hand still, bend to a point where my right arm naturally drops and just back and forth. If I can repeat that with a putter I know I can get it on line. And I feel confident on speed as well.

When it comes to other players, I’m sure it will be something to get over in the beginning. I decided I will make sure I can summarize the actual associated rules in the beginning. I like your “rehearsed responses” that usually get people of your back quickly.

I’ll start practicing indoors once I have the putter and will construct a track myself to learn the feel of the straight back and through.

About to bring a side-saddle option back into my rotation.  Putted OK most of the year, but there’s still the part of my brain that knows if I want to really take the next step I need to be able to make more putts (tried a toe-flow mallet, was less consistent than my blade).  Probably going 50” F-22.  If it’s a resounding failure, there will be one more BG on the open market for someone to try.  

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Ping Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Tour Proto 85 (X)
Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Scotty Cameron Toolbox
On 10/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, PreppySlapCut said:

About to bring a side-saddle option back into my rotation.  Putted OK most of the year, but there’s still the part of my brain that knows if I want to really take the next step I need to be able to make more putts (tried a toe-flow mallet, was less consistent than my blade).  Probably going 50” F-22.  If it’s a resounding failure, there will be one more BG on the open market for someone to try.  

The only things I might encourage you to do is keep very careful before and after stats, if you don't already, and then maybe to read up on the Strokes Gained Putting data about what Tour pros actually make from different distances.  I don't care how you putt, you are NOT going to be making lots of 25 footers; nobody in the world consistently does that.

Great putting is great lag putting and a rock solid stroke from about 4' and in, with a few made 5-10 footers thrown in.  TO ME, the question with ANY putting change for ANY golfer is whether or not it helps with those three things; switching putters or grips or stance or anything else with the hope of making more long putts just isn't realistic.  So the question is, does putting side saddle help with three putt avoidance?  For ME, the answer is a resounding "YES!"

I write this all the time on this thread, but one of the trap doors of converting to side saddle is falling into the trap of making every putt a referendum on the method.  There are a LOT of reasons putts don't go in the hole; how you are standing and how you are holding the putter don't become part of that until you get very close to the hole.  Side saddle is a better way to putt, but it ain't a magic trick; you still have to read the green and get the speed right.  It's easier to hit your line and to get the speed right with one hand and binocular vision instead of two hands standing sideways, but that does NOT mean that the ball is going to go in the hole.  Wish it did, but it doesn't.

FWIW, I played as the guest in a 54 hole member-guest this weekend.  I had one three putt for the three days, on the 14th green the third day; I misread a double breaker from a place I never should have been anyway, and left myself a downhill sliding 6 footer that lipped out.  When I have a stretch of putting like that, I'm always sort of stunned that more people don't do this.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bluedot said:

The only things I might encourage you to do is keep very careful before and after stats, if you don't already, and then maybe to read up on the Strokes Gained Putting data about what Tour pros actually make from different distances.  I don't care how you putt, you are NOT going to be making lots of 25 footers; nobody in the world consistently does that.

Great putting is great lag putting and a rock solid stroke from about 4' and in, with a few made 5-10 footers thrown in.  TO ME, the question with ANY putting change for ANY golfer is whether or not it helps with those three things; switching putters or grips or stance or anything else with the hope of making more long putts just isn't realistic.  So the question is, does putting side saddle help with three putt avoidance?  For ME, the answer is a resounding "YES!"

I write this all the time on this thread, but one of the trap doors of converting to side saddle is falling into the trap of making every putt a referendum on the method.  There are a LOT of reasons putts don't go in the hole; how you are standing and how you are holding the putter don't become part of that until you get very close to the hole.  Side saddle is a better way to putt, but it ain't a magic trick; you still have to read the green and get the speed right.  It's easier to hit your line and to get the speed right with one hand and binocular vision instead of two hands standing sideways, but that does NOT mean that the ball is going to go in the hole.  Wish it did, but it doesn't.

FWIW, I played as the guest in a 54 hole member-guest this weekend.  I had one three putt for the three days, on the 14th green the third day; I misread a double breaker from a place I never should have been anyway, and left myself a downhill sliding 6 footer that lipped out.  When I have a stretch of putting like that, I'm always sort of stunned that more people don't do this.

I’m 100% with you.  I’ve played (and coached) golf long enough to understand the stats.  I’m not delusional, and certainly don’t think I’m going to make everything.  When I’ve putted side-saddle my primary issues were related to setup and distance control.  Those two things are intertwined.  With a short putter, I can setup pretty comfortably and my distance control is better, but my make percentage inside 15’ goes down.  That’s the reason I’m trying a longer putter, in an effort to get more comfortable and make my setup more consistent.  This should remove variables and give the method a fairer shake.  

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I find putting stats to be misleading unless great details of distance and type of putt is kept. A 5 foot straight putt uphill is different from a 5 foot downhill curler on extremely fast green. 
I judge my putting on the day as to whether I have hit the ball down the line I picked with the weight I wanted.  If I am doing that then I am happy. Yes I will miss putts from a misread or bump in the green.  However most putts will have a chance of dropping. 
I find face on putting allows me to be more consistent with line, and distance is getting better the more I play and practice.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, PreppySlapCut said:

I’m 100% with you.  I’ve played (and coached) golf long enough to understand the stats.  I’m not delusional, and certainly don’t think I’m going to make everything.  When I’ve putted side-saddle my primary issues were related to setup and distance control.  Those two things are intertwined.  With a short putter, I can setup pretty comfortably and my distance control is better, but my make percentage inside 15’ goes down.  That’s the reason I’m trying a longer putter, in an effort to get more comfortable and make my setup more consistent.  This should remove variables and give the method a fairer shake.  

For the sake of argument, let me say this about distance control.  If you were going to roll a ball across a green toward a hole WITHOUT A CLUB involved, at what distance would you turn sideways, use two hands, and throw your arms across your body, instead of facing the hole and making a longer, faster swing with your dominant arm?  The answer, of course, is that there is NO distance at which you would do that.  You might at some point throw overhand, or you might even take a couple of steps as sort of a running start, but you would NEVER sling the ball with two hands to roll it across a green from ANY distance.

Put another way, if you were going to bet on which of two people would get the ball closer to the hole from 50' away, with one rolling the ball one handed and the other using two hands, which one would you bet on?  Not a hard question, really.

Truly, I can't think of any biomechanical reason that a conventional putting stance would be superior from ANY distance UNLESS you are so far away that a turn and/or weight shift are needed.  And that's not a putting issue; it's an approach issue.  The one exception to this is the ONLY drawback I've ever found to side saddle putting, which is putting from off the green, especially if the grain of the fringe is into you.  Because of the lack of loft on a good side saddle putter, that just doesn't work well, at least for me, so I use a 7 iron or a 4 hybrid for those.  But again, that's an approach issue, and not a putting method issue.

FOR ME, distance control issues early on weren't about the method; they were about the simple fact that I had putted conventionally for nearly 50 years, and my database was in that context.  There was an adjustment period, and I DO might slight adjustments in my setup for extremely long putts.  But that's all; again, I can't think of any good reason that any "normal" putt that I would face would favor a two-handed sideways setup.

I think this is a version of the trap door that I always talk about, which is the tendency to make a particular putt a referendum on the method.  If I'm 50' from the hole, I'm faced with a distance control issue of the first magnitude no matter what method I'm using, but I think we tend to evaluate a poor putt from distance differently if we're putting face on instead of conventionally. 

• Like 1

It’s funny, I completely forgot that I had an issue with the insert on the Bobby Grace.  Probably makes the GP the answer for me in this space, which is a conclusion I completely forgot I came to a while back.  I’d love to give the Bomar a run through the paces but I like to sole the putter flat, and at 76* that’s going to be a struggle.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I just wanted to relay that I picked up a Blast Motion Golf sensor on a lark and it's been really useful for side saddle putting (at least for me).  I had been opening the face on my putter almost 1.5 degrees and it does a good job of highlighting face direction, tempo, loft, etc.  Just practicing with it for a few days has improved my putting. When I first saw that my face angle was off, I confirmed with their support that it works fine for side saddle putting.  It's pretty handy.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, willwagner said:

I just wanted to relay that I picked up a Blast Motion Golf sensor on a lark and it's been really useful for side saddle putting (at least for me).  I had been opening the face on my putter almost 1.5 degrees and it does a good job of highlighting face direction, tempo, loft, etc.  Just practicing with it for a few days has improved my putting. When I first saw that my face angle was off, I confirmed with their support that it works fine for side saddle putting.  It's pretty handy.

For the money, Blast is a pretty good training aid.  I wouldn’t be dogmatic about the actual numbers beyond tempo, but as far as understanding your tendencies it’s worth it.  It also puts into numbers how superior my stroke is side-saddle compared to my conventional stroke (which isn’t awful).

Edited by PreppySlapCut
Scotty Cameron Toolbox
19 hours ago, willplaysgolf said:

Has anyone tried either of the Directed Force broomstick putters?

I have a Directed Force, and really like the technology.  I used it for quite awhile before the F22 came out.

Two problems for me with the DF putter:  First is that if you don't sole the putter, it would seem that you lose the benefits of the lie angle balance idea, and if you DO sole the putter, the head is so wide and the sole so flat that the shaft is at the full 80* angle, which I don't like, at least compared to the F22.  And the second problem is that the DF is very light by comparison with other side saddle models, including the Bobby Grace models and the JuanPutt.

I don't regret the purchase, and I putted ok with the DF, but there are better side saddle options out there.

• Like 2

Bluedot, do you know if you were using the specific DF broomstick model or the standard one? I couldn't find an explicit headweight for the DF but the "about broomsticks" blog on their website suggests it's around 500g. JuanPutt and F22 are 415 and 465 according to their respective websites. 

Either way, can definitely see how that particular design would be a non-starter if you're trying to hold the shaft >80 degrees.

58 minutes ago, willplaysgolf said:

Bluedot, do you know if you were using the specific DF broomstick model or the standard one? I couldn't find an explicit headweight for the DF but the "about broomsticks" blog on their website suggests it's around 500g. JuanPutt and F22 are 415 and 465 according to their respective websites. 

Either way, can definitely see how that particular design would be a non-starter if you're trying to hold the shaft >80 degrees.

I looked at the website, and the broomstick page is new to me; my putter is the original DF, built to an 80* lie angle and 44".  At that time, they didn't add weight, though there was discussion of custom building options that would do that. 

And you're right; regardless of the weight, I think that putter has to be soled for the technology to be valid. Plus, the head is VERY wide, and really isn't beveled at all, so it's difficult.  I've never been sure how much it matters to hold the putter more vertically, but I will say that my body seems to want to do that with the F22, and that when I use one of my other putters, I have to work really hard to sole the putter instead of having the heel off the ground a bit.

• Like 1

@Jimi Thing

I too am a dismal putter and it's made worse by my home course has hilly greens and 3 putting for me is normal. Recently after looking through putting tips on the forum I noticed people were going to round grips because it got their mind off of the line so much so they could just more or less point and shoot. So I tried it with my Ping Anser and it definitely improved my stroke. Then later I ordered a pretty white putter component head for one of my daughters that was a copy of my favorite putter that I really regret selling(a cheap Dunlop half mallet) while somehow forgetting that she is left handed. Anyway I figured I might as well try it. Lo and behold now with only one side with a straight line to "worry" about and a little heavier all of a sudden I can putt pretty good so much so that now I even now enjoy putting, and inside of 15 feet I'm always thinking of making it as opposed to being worried about 3 putting.

Just thought I'd add my experience who knows the forum has helped me a great deal already in a matter of months - from equipment to my swing - best of luck with the side saddle method.

Edited by chipa
  • Thanks 1

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

14 hours ago, bluedot said:

I have a Directed Force, and really like the technology.  I used it for quite awhile before the F22 came out.

Two problems for me with the DF putter:  First is that if you don't sole the putter, it would seem that you lose the benefits of the lie angle balance idea, and if you DO sole the putter, the head is so wide and the sole so flat that the shaft is at the full 80* angle, which I don't like, at least compared to the F22.  And the second problem is that the DF is very light by comparison with other side saddle models, including the Bobby Grace models and the JuanPutt.

I don't regret the purchase, and I putted ok with the DF, but there are better side saddle options out there.

As a guy who likes to collect Sidesaddle Putters.......

I just bought a 47" Sidesaddle DF putter.  Really nice putter.

But I don't mind putting with the putter head soled.

And FYI, they now have the technology to add weights to the putter head - so they can set the weight wherever you want.

Mine is at 500g.

Having said all that - my F22 is still my "gamer".

But every once in a while I putt with the DF just for a change of pace.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

As a guy who likes to collect Sidesaddle Putters.......

I just bought a 47" Sidesaddle DF putter.  Really nice putter.

But I don't mind putting with the putter head soled.

And FYI, they now have the technology to add weights to the putter head - so they can set the weight wherever you want.

Mine is at 500g.

Having said all that - my F22 is still my "gamer".

But every once in a while I putt with the DF just for a change of pace.

Man, are we ever on the same page!

1. My hall closet is full of side saddle putters, and that's not counting two that I've loaned out.

2. I never minded putting with the putter soled, either.  Until the F22...     And fwiw, I'm still not clear in my mind whether it matters or not that the shaft is angled;  I think it's more comfort that physics.

3. I used the DF for a couple of rounds a few weeks back, and I pull out the JuanPutt from time to time as well.  But that F22 is just really, really hard to beat.

GP Putter just arrived.  I’ll see if I can get some good video of my setup/stroke tomorrow for critique.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • 2 weeks later...

All. 

I just wanted to thank everyone on this site. 

id nearly quit golf due to my putting (not really but you get the idea). I had started standing with an open stance and just rolling it in because it was the only way I could get the ball in the hole. 

this was before I realised side saddle was even a thing !!  Now I do and I’m very excited about the new least of life.  I’ve just started experimenting but I already know this is the technique for me. Am I the only one in the UK that will be putting this way???

have been reading all the info on putters with great interest and will be deciding soon.  

thanks All !!! 

Like many, I've rest much of this thread with great interest.  If anyone has a side saddle they are willing to part with (reasonably), please let me know.  I just don't want to start out with an expensive SS putter if its not for me.  Right now, I use an arm lock putter, which has helped with my miserable putting.  What interests me most is using one hand for the pendulum and one for the fulcrum as opposed to using two with traditional or arm lock.  Anyway, thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

13 hours ago, oyamtr said:

Like many, I've rest much of this thread with great interest.  If anyone has a side saddle they are willing to part with (reasonably), please let me know.  I just don't want to start out with an expensive SS putter if its not for me.  Right now, I use an arm lock putter, which has helped with my miserable putting.  What interests me most is using one hand for the pendulum and one for the fulcrum as opposed to using two with traditional or arm lock.  Anyway, thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

FWIW, you are already using one hand for the pendulum and one for the fulcrum; think about it!  If you're using the arm lock, you're already far down the road away from "conventional" putting to rolling the ball with one hand.

All that you have left to do is face the hole using binocular vision, and completely take the left arm out of the equation; you've already done the hardest part, which is to translate your feel for distance from two hands to one.  The rest is easy.

BTW, I think EVERY putting modification, from left hand low to the claw to the broomstick to the arm lock are all attempts to do exactly the same think; make the stroke more one-handed and reduce the need to coordinate the two hands into a very delicate and precise motion.  Heck, we roll 15 lb bowling balls 60 feet with one hand while facing the target; there's nothing else in all of sports comparable to trying to use two hands to roll a golf ball!

hi all. 

Still looking at side saddle putters. Really interested to know how many of you are putting pretty much vertically. I’m interested because as I’m still honing my technique (read “just starting it!”) and i’m keen to get a putter that keeps my options open. 

Can the f-22 be held vertically or pretty much the same angle as the JuanPutt?  I may be going for the JuanPutt because I seriously can’t afford the F22. 🤷‍♂️

for experimenting i have a 43 inch long odyssey 2 ball (but worried the angle won’t be steep enough) and looking to pick up and old STX 45inch belly just to practice techniques. 

so question again. Who side saddles at 80ish degrees and who goes vertical (and with which clubs)

thanks all !!

Matt

Edited by CantPuttWontPutt
2 hours ago, CantPuttWontPutt said:

hi all. 

Still looking at side saddle putters. Really interested to know how many of you are putting pretty much vertically. I’m interested because as I’m still honing my technique (read “just starting it!”) and i’m keen to get a putter that keeps my options open. 

Can the f-22 be held vertically or pretty much the same angle as the JuanPutt?  I may be going for the JuanPutt because I seriously can’t afford the F22. 🤷‍♂️

for experimenting i have a 43 inch long odyssey 2 ball (but worried the angle won’t be steep enough) and looking to pick up and old STX 45inch belly just to practice techniques. 

so question again. Who side saddles at 80ish degrees and who goes vertical (and with which clubs)

thanks all !!

Matt

For sure, the F22 can be used at least slightly more vertically than not only the JuanPutt, but anything else out there except for the GP putter, which is an entirely different animal anyway.  But the sole of the JuanPutt is radiused enough so that it can be used more vertically than 80*.   For me, the difference in this from the JuanPutt to the F22 isn't especially significant, but I'm sure there are others here who feel differently.

So I think the answer to your question would be that few, if any, of the regulars on this thread are putting from a true 80* position at address.

20 minutes ago, bluedot said:

For sure, the F22 can be used at least slightly more vertically than not only the JuanPutt, but anything else out there except for the GP putter, which is an entirely different animal anyway.  But the sole of the JuanPutt is radiused enough so that it can be used more vertically than 80*.   For me, the difference in this from the JuanPutt to the F22 isn't especially significant, but I'm sure there are others here who feel differently.

So I think the answer to your question would be that few, if any, of the regulars on this thread are putting from a true 80* position at address.

That’s helpful. Thank you. 

I’m close to biting the bullet on the JuanPutt largely because the f22 is out of my price range and also because the f22 looks crazy and my playing partners are going to be wondering what the hell im doing anyway (never seen anyone putt side saddle in the UK). I’m a massive convert even in the minimal time I’ve spent with it. 

feels like somewhere between 85 and 90 would be my natural position. 

just trying to calculate the ideal length. I’m 5 foot 10 and thinking 43 inches.  Going to see what that used two ball odyssey at 43 inches feels like in terms of height. 

exciting times. 

appreciate all the assistance so far !!!

Caantputt.

I prefer a 46-47  inch putter.   I have found most broomstick putters convert to side saddle putting with little or no problems.

Also I am an inveterate fiddler.  I have just taken a 34 inch Odyssey backstryke putter and adjusted to lie angle from 72 deg to 79 deg.  I then used a belly putter shaft down the original shaft to give me the 46 inch length.

It is still a work in progress as I am adjusting head weight. It is the 2 ball version so I have put a line down the centre of the head.

I like the backstryke style as it gives me a better look at alignment.  This just may be me but so far it certainly helps.

Any good club builder should be able to adjust lie angle for you if you need to use the vertical method.

39 minutes ago, rexroh said:

Caantputt.

I prefer a 46-47  inch putter.   I have found most broomstick putters convert to side saddle putting with little or no problems.

Also I am an inveterate fiddler.  I have just taken a 34 inch Odyssey backstryke putter and adjusted to lie angle from 72 deg to 79 deg.  I then used a belly putter shaft down the original shaft to give me the 46 inch length.

It is still a work in progress as I am adjusting head weight. It is the 2 ball version so I have put a line down the centre of the head.

I like the backstryke style as it gives me a better look at alignment.  This just may be me but so far it certainly helps.

Any good club builder should be able to adjust lie angle for you if you need to use the vertical method.

That’s great thanks. I might get my odyssey 2 ball with 43 inch shaft changed to lie at 79 and have a play with that.  It’s not backstryke but I can see the line ok I (Though I did want to sell it after) 😀.  

it’s not centre shafted although it is face balanced. Is that an issue for side saddlers?  The majority seem to be centre shafted and that’s where I’ll end up, but while I’m toying with it, does it make a big difference?

How tall are you with your 46-47?   I might have a play with a longer length belly putter in that case before I splash out on JuanPutt. 

At least it’s got me thinking more positively about my putting. Just trying to enjoy the journey rather than stress about it which is where the conventional style has got me. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by CantPuttWontPutt

I've watched a lot of Bomar's Instagram & YouTube videos, and they recommend the butt of putter line up approximately with the height of your armpit once the side saddle stance is taken, so you could use a driver or a stick to see how long it would be for you with that suggestion. Their 44.5" putter length is suggested for 5'8" to 6'2" and at 5' 11" I've found 44" feels about right for the method, granted I've only tried it on my putting mat and a few "off-season" rounds. 

10 hours ago, bluedot said:

FWIW, you are already using one hand for the pendulum and one for the fulcrum; think about it!  If you're using the arm lock, you're already far down the road away from "conventional" putting to rolling the ball with one hand.

All that you have left to do is face the hole using binocular vision, and completely take the left arm out of the equation; you've already done the hardest part, which is to translate your feel for distance from two hands to one.  The rest is easy.

BTW, I think EVERY putting modification, from left hand low to the claw to the broomstick to the arm lock are all attempts to do exactly the same think; make the stroke more one-handed and reduce the need to coordinate the two hands into a very delicate and precise motion.  Heck, we roll 15 lb bowling balls 60 feet with one hand while facing the target; there's nothing else in all of sports comparable to trying to use two hands to roll a golf ball!

Never really thought about that.  Thanks for those perspectives.  Do you have a chart for height?  I've seen three or four and they seem somewhat different.  I am 5'8".  I would think that somewhere between 44"-48", but don't know if taller is better than shorter.  I suppose it would be smart to get a taller one and cut it down if necessary.  I watched the Bomar videos on Morning Golf and the utter she is using couldn't be more than 35 or 36".  I would think stooping over would detract from the benefit of using two eyes.

One other thing, I know we use both eyes, but does it matter if your dominant eye (mine is left) is opposite of your dominant hand (mine is right).  When I plum bob, I use my left eye, but putt righty, which I think is part of the reason I suck at traditional putting.  Thanks again for your help.

5 hours ago, willplaysgolf said:

I've watched a lot of Bomar's Instagram & YouTube videos, and they recommend the butt of putter line up approximately with the height of your armpit once the side saddle stance is taken, so you could use a driver or a stick to see how long it would be for you with that suggestion. Their 44.5" putter length is suggested for 5'8" to 6'2" and at 5' 11" I've found 44" feels about right for the method, granted I've only tried it on my putting mat and a few "off-season" rounds. 

I find the fixed length for such a wide varied height interesting.   A 6 foot 2 inch person would have quite a different set up position to a 5 foot 8 inch person.  To have hands and head in same position one must bend more than the other.  I agree that there would not be much variation when taking a comfortable posture but an inch or two could make quite a difference to the stroke.    I can use shorter putters but prefer 46 inches after a lot of testing.  The putter balance also changes with length and this can be good or bad depending on feel.