side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

14 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I don't mean to oversell Holloway. He's a nice guy who thoughtfully designed some nice side saddle putters. For the record he is not the next Scotty Cameron 🙂 . For me, the Holloway is second only to the Slim Jim. After trying countless putters I zeroed in on the specs that work for me, and it just so happened that the Holloway checks all the boxes. The value prop of their putters is hard to beat as well. 

I 100% agree on shaft location. I like the shaft to align with the CG, and shafts up front, generally don't do it for me. In my opinion, if you're going the Bobby Grace route the a** kicker shaft is a no brainer...it's really nice. 

Oh for sure, I can't wait for additional feedback on the Holloways as people get their hands on them and get them out on the course.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

18 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I don't mean to oversell Holloway. He's a nice guy who thoughtfully designed some nice side saddle putters. For the record he is not the next Scotty Cameron 🙂 . For me, the Holloway is second only to the Slim Jim. After trying countless putters I zeroed in on the specs that work for me, and it just so happened that the Holloway checks all the boxes. The value prop of their putters is hard to beat as well. 

I 100% agree on shaft location. I like the shaft to align with the CG, and shafts up front, generally don't do it for me. In my opinion, if you're going the Bobby Grace route the a** kicker shaft is a no brainer...it's really nice. 

Don't worry for a second about "overselling" Holloway!  I've spent a lot more than that on putters, and I don't regret it a bit.  If something happens to me and my wife looks in the hall closet and has a "WTF?" moment, I'll be gone anyway. 

I believe in spending money on my passion, and golf is that.  I'm 68, and I don't owe anybody on the planet a dime; no mortgage, no car payment, no credit card debt, nothing.  I can spring for a putter any time it damn well pleases me, and this did!  I've got a metric ton of stuff waking me up in the night, but the money I spend on golf ain't one of 'em.

And if it's a really good putter, so much the better!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 1:15 PM, PreppySlapCut said:

I’m going to say that the GP putter’s sweet spot being slightly toe side actually helps when you’re putting with the shaft vertical.  With the toe down, it’s actually tougher to hit the middle of the face because it’s raised.  

The GP putter sweet spot is actually slightly heel side compared to the shaft.  That is why it has a slight heel-hang.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:10 AM, marmaduk said:

I’ve never used a GP putter before but his whole deal is to hold the shaft vertically which in this picture you are not. If the shaft was vertical the line would go through the Center of the ball. 
ive always struggled with this aspect of side saddle. Holding it vertical makes the strike easier and more pendulous but Holding it vertical means the heal is off the ground and the small amount of loft will point the ball slightly to the right for right handed putters. Vertical side saddle causes a smaller sweet spot on the putter face. This is why I have adapted a method of only going vertical with short ~5’ putts and I flatten the sole on anything longer. 

Just a thought 

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how the sweet spot would change if it's the same putter head.  Can you explain your thinking?

I have just got my hands on a Scotty Cameron Kombi belly putter.  I intend to change the lie to seventy nine degrees and extend the length.  The Kombi head is large and I may not be able to use it as a vertical putter but could use it as face on putter but held at an angle. 
Has anyone tried this putter for face on putting. I am aware that several putt face on with the shaft angled. 
I did like the feel of the Kombi when testing it on the greens but I need another 6 to 8inches on it to feel comfortable.   Head weight is 400 grams.  

7 hours ago, rexroh said:

I have just got my hands on a Scotty Cameron Kombi belly putter.  I intend to change the lie to seventy nine degrees and extend the length.  The Kombi head is large and I may not be able to use it as a vertical putter but could use it as face on putter but held at an angle. 
Has anyone tried this putter for face on putting. I am aware that several putt face on with the shaft angled. 
I did like the feel of the Kombi when testing it on the greens but I need another 6 to 8inches on it to feel comfortable.   Head weight is 400 grams.  

I picked up a used Kombi in Golf Galaxy; beautiful condition, the right length, great weight, and I made everything on the indoor putting green.  So, of course, I bought it.  Took it to the golf course, and it just put a very poor roll on the ball; bouncy and weak right.  It dawned on me that I had bought a putter with more loft than really works well for side saddle. 

I got home and checked the specs; the Kombi has 4* of loft.  I know there is some personal preference involved, but at least for me, that much loft does not work for side saddle.  Golf Galaxy was kind enough to take it back for full credit.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, CantPuttWontPutt said:

So interesting that different people prefer different versions. I think bluedot uses the standard shaft though don’t know if he’s ever tried the AK?

I am however surprised you found such a difference in the two shafts ? How would you describe that difference?

god I hope I like my centre shafted version. Guess I’ll find out in a few days 😳

It was all just a matter of how it looked to my mind's eye.  Nothing more - but that can be pretty significant for the individual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

It was all just a matter of how it looked to my mind's eye.  Nothing more - but that can be pretty significant for the individual.

Understood. Thank you !

got my f22 (center shaft) today. It is SO cool. Can only play on carpet but it’s super easy to line up. Have to say it was much lighter than I thought it would be, feels less “solid” (lighter?!?) than my STX.   It will take a bit of getting used to but I can tell I’m going to love it.  Will be on the course as soon as lockdown here ends. 

Edited by CantPuttWontPutt

Back to a technique question for everyone (since the topic on this forum is THE place to go on all things side saddle). 

Who here looks at the hole when they’re putting?  

I read somewhere this works well for side saddle as it helps you focus on distance.  I used to look at the hole when I putted conventionally. One of the MANY things I did to try and cure my yips. 

However, as I no longer have have the yips, I do NOT look at the hole anymore. For short putts I know you’re sort of looking at both ball and hole but what about longer ones ?

would be interested to see what the consensus is here.  😀

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

The GP putter sweet spot is actually slightly heel side compared to the shaft.  That is why it has a slight heel-hang.

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how the sweet spot would change if it's the same putter head.  Can you explain your thinking?

You are 100% correct.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

4 hours ago, CantPuttWontPutt said:

Back to a technique question for everyone (since the topic on this forum is THE place to go on all things side saddle). 

I read somewhere this works well for side saddle as it helps you focus on distance.  I used to look at the hole when I putted conventionally. One of the MANY things I did to try and cure my yips. 

However, as I no longer have have the yips, I do NOT look at the hole anymore. For short putts I know you’re sort of looking at both ball and hole but what about longer ones ?

I looked at the hole when putting traditionally. I found this helped my distance control. For some reason I almost never missed short of the hole when looking at the target but mostly missed short of the hole when looking at the ball. 

Fast forward roughly 40 rounds of side saddle and I am now thinking about reintegrating this method. At first I couldn’t do it because I would literally hit some putts FAT! lol WTF?!? I’ve recently changed the way I grip my top hand and haven’t hit a putt fat since then. So, now I’m slowly trying to reintegrate looking at the target. 

For those interested it took me just as long to adapt to looking at the target as it did to adapt to a natural side saddle comfort. No small task to just switch over. 

Edited by marmaduk

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

16 hours ago, CantPuttWontPutt said:

I've never been able to get comfortable looking at the hole.  It makes sense to me, and I've tried it both on the practice green and on the course, but I just can't do it.  That may be a mental thing about giving up control or something like that, but I just haven't been able to get there despite repeated trial runs.  I think it might be a better practice drill than a way to putt for a score, regardless of whether you are talking about side saddle or conventional putting.

If I ever saw a reliable study that convinced me that looking at the hole is a clearly better way to putt, I think I'd take the plunge and just see what would happen, which is sort of what we all did when we went side saddle in the first place, right?  But until then, I'm going to stick with "keep your eye on the ball..."

On 1/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, J_Tizzle said:

Oh for sure, I can't wait for additional feedback on the Holloways as people get their hands on them and get them out on the course.

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow afternoon.  I might get frozen out of playing on Sunday, but I'll get it a go on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Alright, finally had some time to roll a few on the carpet, but the Holloway is legit. The craftsmanship is excellent. I’ve never side saddled before, so it’s a little awkward at times, but I can see how this is an effective method of putting. 

The putter isn’t going to win any beauty pageants, but the milling on the face and the stepless shaft are nice touches. The tri-sole also makes it really easy to go vertical with the shaft. I’m rolling a TP5X and the feel is extremely crisp. This little fella also has some heel hang to it. 

I'm really excited to see where this experiment goes, but I honestly can’t think of a better place to start than the Holloway for its price point. 

12 hours ago, cmporto10 said:

Alright, finally had some time to roll a few on the carpet, but the Holloway is legit. The craftsmanship is excellent. I’ve never side saddled before, so it’s a little awkward at times, but I can see how this is an effective method of putting. 

The putter isn’t going to win any beauty pageants, but the milling on the face and the stepless shaft are nice touches. The tri-sole also makes it really easy to go vertical with the shaft. I’m rolling a TP5X and the feel is extremely crisp. This little fella also has some heel hang to it. 

I'm really excited to see where this experiment goes, but I honestly can’t think of a better place to start than the Holloway for its price point. 

Welcome to the side saddle party. I’ve been doing it for about 6 months. I will not be going back to conventional putting under any circumstances.   I’ve certainly not perfected this technique yet but I am no longer a god awful putter !!! Give it time !

I just enjoy not stressing about 2-3 foot putts. It used to give me serious anxiety ! 😂

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, bluedot said:

I've never been able to get comfortable looking at the hole.  It makes sense to me, and I've tried it both on the practice green and on the course, but I just can't do it.  That may be a mental thing about giving up control or something like that, but I just haven't been able to get there despite repeated trial runs.  I think it might be a better practice drill than a way to putt for a score, regardless of whether you are talking about side saddle or conventional putting.

If I ever saw a reliable study that convinced me that looking at the hole is a clearly better way to putt, I think I'd take the plunge and just see what would happen, which is sort of what we all did when we went side saddle in the first place, right?  But until then, I'm going to stick with "keep your eye on the ball..."

This is my view too. I don’t think I’ll be changing my stroke to look at the hole. 

next technical question. 

Does anyone putt side saddle with their feet together to the left and slight back of the ball position or are we all weight on our right foot feet apart people ? (For right handlers)

1 hour ago, CantPuttWontPutt said:

This is my view too. I don’t think I’ll be changing my stroke to look at the hole. 

next technical question. 

Does anyone putt side saddle with their feet together to the left and slight back of the ball position or are we all weight on our right foot feet apart people ? (For right handlers)

I have seen only one side saddle guy who putts with his feet parallel, and he was really good; looked very relaxed and very balanced, and just rolled it great.  I saw him putt in a CGA senior four ball, and there's another side saddle guy that plays in those tournaments who has his feet almost parallel; the right foot is just a bit ahead.  (FWIW, I've never seen anybody putt with the outside foot forward.)

I think if you look at most other similar movements in sports, the inside foot is forward, at least by a little bit.  The three that really come to mind are shooting a basketball, especially free throws, bunting in baseball, and throwing darts.  I'm sure a physiologist could explain why that position lends itself to precision better than feet parallel or the outside foot forward, but it just feels more natural, I think.

• Like 1

REceived my Holloway today. It's A LOT smaller than I expected. 

This is my first time ever trying side saddle and I have to say on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most uncomfortable) it's probably a 12 for me right now. 

For starters, I push EVERYTHING. 

For those who have been doing this a long time...what are some helpful hints for getting started?

Ball position

Weight distribution

How to avoid hitting your foot when putting HAHA 

Anything that gave you the "ah ha!" moment

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

11 minutes ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

This is my first time ever trying side saddle and I have to say on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most uncomfortable) it's probably a 12 for me right now. 

For those who have been doing this a long time...what are some helpful hints for getting started?

Ball position

Weight distribution

Which putter head did you order? Are you happy with the putter? Trying to decide between the "Sight Line" and the "Backbone" myself.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

25 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Which putter head did you order? Are you happy with the putter? Trying to decide between the "Sight Line" and the "Backbone" myself.

I went with the sight line. Actually it’s quite nice. Besides the size, it seems great quality! 

seems to work very well as a broomstick putter too. 

On 1/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, The Natural said:

Just got my F-22 with the A**kicker shaft.  The putter is not face-balanced and has a slight toe-hang.  I've got an e-mail into Bobby to ask him about it, but just curious if anyone elses F-22 is face balanced or I got defect.

Mine was also not quite face balanced, I heated and pulled the shaft and reglued it (I do this for a living).  Take it to your nearest club guy, no problem.

Edited by hardpan1

9 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Ball position

Weight distribution

In my opinion you can do worse than check out Randy’s videos (I don’t quite point my thumb to the hole like he says he does though but my thumb is on top of the shaft to help with the pivot). There are a few others of his on YouTube. Here’s an initial link for you to start (if you haven’t seen it already)

https://randyhaag.com/2016/12/19/guide-to-face-on-side-saddle-front-on-putting/

14 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Ball position

Weight distribution

We'll I'm 100% going to be that guy in this thread that everyone hates hahaha

I putted for around 3 hours last night trying to get used to side saddle....honestly it's just so uncomfortable and I'm not willing to put in the time I think I will need to get even close to where I currently am with a standard putter

If anyone is interested in the Holloway let me know. Sight line option

15 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Ball position

Weight distribution

One way I got comfortable was to think if someone handed me a golf ball and asked me to roll it towards the hole without a putter - how would I do it?  I'd face the hole, bend a bit, and roll it (bowl it) using my right arm (I'm right handed).  No way I'd stand sideways to the hole and fling the ball across my body.  In fact, when I first started SS putting I would roll balls to the hole without a putter in order to both get comfortable AND to figure out which stance and how much bend was most comfortable for me.

For me:

Ball Position - about 6" inches in front of my right foot.

Weight Distribution - 90% on that right foot.  I feel like my weight is there so I can get my head behind the ball (or at least somewhat behind the ball)

Grip - Pencil so that my right hand can be comfortable on the club and not rotate in any direction.

Avoid hitting the Foot - if you're hitting your foot, your BS is too much inside (obviously).  I have a tendency to do the same thing.  That's why I actually now see my right foot as a great "training aid" that I can use while putting.  I set my right foot parallel to, and barely inside, the target line.  That forces me to use a straight back, straight through stroke because if I'm not "straight back" I'll hit my foot!   So my foot acts like a 2x4 that someone may practice with to ensure a sbst stroke.

Here's what my SS stroke looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63r4wre6hmy88pa/VID_20180614_201330493.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymrk238rh0z3fod/VID_20180614_201721210.mp4?dl=0

Edited by BigEx44
  • Like 2

This is the first time i have posted anything on this site so please cut me some slack.

Have been reading all the replies and advice on this topic with great interest. I have tried side saddle a number of times over the years with mixed results but always gave up. Mainly because i was unable to source a suitable putter. Tried cut down Ping B90 and Odyssey 2 Ball broomhandles etc but all less than ideal. I am in Ireland and have never seen anyone else putting side saddle here. Am seriously considering going for the Bobby Grace F22 but am a bit concerned of what additional taxes and duty i may have to pay. I then noticed there is another member here "Cantputtwontputt" who is located in the UK and has just received his Bobby Grace. Would love to get an idea of what addit charges he paid (if this is allowed to be asked) and what his opinion is so far, although he probably hasn't managed to get out on the course yet. Also what was he using before hand and how different does he find the new putter eg how much better or easier is the Bobby Grace?

Would ideally have liked to first try a cheaper putter such as the Holloway but as has already been pointed out they don't ship international. I see another member doesn't like the Holloway he purchased recently so maybe he would  consider selling and posting to Ireland.

10 hours ago, Corrstown said:

This is the first time i have posted anything on this site so please cut me some slack.

Have been reading all the replies and advice on this topic with great interest. I have tried side saddle a number of times over the years with mixed results but always gave up. Mainly because i was unable to source a suitable putter. Tried cut down Ping B90 and Odyssey 2 Ball broomhandles etc but all less than ideal. I am in Ireland and have never seen anyone else putting side saddle here. Am seriously considering going for the Bobby Grace F22 but am a bit concerned of what additional taxes and duty i may have to pay. I then noticed there is another member here "Cantputtwontputt" who is located in the UK and has just received his Bobby Grace. Would love to get an idea of what addit charges he paid (if this is allowed to be asked) and what his opinion is so far, although he probably hasn't managed to get out on the course yet. Also what was he using before hand and how different does he find the new putter eg how much better or easier is the Bobby Grace?

Would ideally have liked to first try a cheaper putter such as the Holloway but as has already been pointed out they don't ship international. I see another member doesn't like the Holloway he purchased recently so maybe he would  consider selling and posting to Ireland.

Hi there. 

as luck would have it I don’t appear to have been hit with any additional import taxes or VAT.  I have NO idea how this happened and think it may just be luck (unless the charges are delayed and I’m going to get something in the post over the next month or so?!?!?). I had budgeted for an extra 25% on what Bobby had charged for the putter and delivery and you probably need to do similar so you’re not too upset if you do get charged!

I was using an old STX putter before which I loved except for two reasons. The face is too spungy so I couldn’t get the pace right on longer putts and would often leave it short. Also the toe would sometimes dig into the grass. The putter itself thorough was brilliant, loved the feel and the weight but just couldn’t persist with it. 

went for the BG F22. It’s feels very different but nice. Working well on the carpet but as you indicated I’ve not been able to get it out on the course yet. I’ll let you know how I get on when I do !  But yes. I’m certain it will be better than the STX on the course.  Though the STX will always have a place in my heart 😂

as for the technique, it’s been no deliberation for me, honestly I didn’t need time to settle in, I was pretty much better with side saddle from day 1 though I did hit what seemed like a few thousand putts on the carpet during the first lockdown before I went on a course.  I’m so poor at putting conventionally though it wasn’t much contest. Side saddle just suits my eyeline and stops me from yipping. 

happy to answer any other questions.