side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

8 minutes ago, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

yes I absolutely putt from the fringe (and beyond in some instances). Even more than I used to before side saddle.  I adjust the loft by moving my pivot hand a little further back which acts to increase the loft slightly. Other than that my action is the same. 

The results are good for me so far. 

Thank you; that is exactly the setup tweak I played around with a little bit yesterday. 

1 hour ago, bluedot said:

Ok, I have a question for all of you.  Do you use your face on putter from the fringe very much, and if you do, do you make any setup adjustments because of the lower loft?

When I started putting face on 6 years ago, I was a good, confident chipper, especially bump-and-run with a 7 iron from the fringes.  Then three years ago, I had a partial detachment of the retina in my right eye, followed by a cascade of other issues in that eye, leading to 7 different procedures, plus both glacoma and macular degeneration.  The result of all of that since late last year not only have I had terrible vision in that eye, which isn't going to get better, but depth perception issues, especially when I'm looking down at the ground.  I feel like I should have a warning sign; "Objects are closer than they appear in the mirror.", which is EXACTLY the case.  Doesn't bother me on full swings, or with fluffier lies, but chipping off a tight lie has become a REAL problem.  I keep working with different setups, including doing some work with my teaching pro, but much of this ain't going away.  It's all kind of weird; I've been an athlete all my life, and now I can't catch a golf ball tossed underhand to me from 10' away.

It dawned on me yesterday that maybe I need to rethink using my putter from the fringe.  I have stayed mostly away from that all these years; I had sort of convinced myself that there was a trade-off involved; much better putting vs. limited usefulness off the green because the ball seemed to pop up instead of rolling out like it does with a conventional putter with more loft.  Plus, I was a really good chipper...

So any thoughts on the do's and don''t's of face on putting from off the green?

I like to use the "chip-putt" technique - especially if I want to get just the tiniest bit of carry.

Great when you're just off the green.

Take any iron, hold it vertical like you were going to putt with it traditionally (so it'll be toe down) and just put a putting stroke on the ball.

Guaranteed no fat shots.

Here are a couple of video's demonstrating the technique:

2 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

I like to use the "chip-putt" technique - especially if I want to get just the tiniest bit of carry.

Great when you're just off the green.

Take any iron, hold it vertical like you were going to putt with it traditionally (so it'll be toe down) and just put a putting stroke on the ball.

Guaranteed no fat shots.

Here are a couple of video's demonstrating the technique:

Thanks, BigEx, but believe me, I not only chipped really well that exact way for many years, but I've tweaked the setup to try to make it still work; it just doesn't anymore.

I used to be really, really good with a 7 iron, but even with a putting stroke and setup, you're still dealing with a leading edge and brushing the turf, and my depth perception problems just screw it up.  When I make practice strokes, even trying to make a putting stroke, the club brushes the ground a different place every time, and when I make the real stroke, I get to the ground quicker than I think I'm going to.  There's no good way for me to describe what I'm seeing, but trust me, I've tried every work around that I, or my teaching pro, can think of; I'm stuck with this.  It's not just golf; I have problems doing things like stepping on stones to cross a creek in front of #5 green at my home course.  I've done it, literally, a thousand times but now, the stones look farther away than they really are, and my foot always hits them sooner than I think it's going to.  Translate that to chipping, and you get a feel for my problem.

I can get by with a hybrid on a longer chip and run, but the head is so light that it doesn't work well on closer chips, which is why I'm asking about setup adjustments to use my putter from off the green.

I will putt from the fringe side saddle.  However if it is long and up hill I will chip.  Pin close to fringe then I will more likely putt.  Each decision is different and generally will depend on confidence in the contemplated strike.

I have sunk a lot of putts from the fringe so that helps with the confidence.

6 hours ago, bluedot said:

Thanks, BigEx, but believe me, I not only chipped really well that exact way for many years, but I've tweaked the setup to try to make it still work; it just doesn't anymore.

I used to be really, really good with a 7 iron, but even with a putting stroke and setup, you're still dealing with a leading edge and brushing the turf, and my depth perception problems just screw it up.  When I make practice strokes, even trying to make a putting stroke, the club brushes the ground a different place every time, and when I make the real stroke, I get to the ground quicker than I think I'm going to.  There's no good way for me to describe what I'm seeing, but trust me, I've tried every work around that I, or my teaching pro, can think of; I'm stuck with this.  It's not just golf; I have problems doing things like stepping on stones to cross a creek in front of #5 green at my home course.  I've done it, literally, a thousand times but now, the stones look farther away than they really are, and my foot always hits them sooner than I think it's going to.  Translate that to chipping, and you get a feel for my problem.

I can get by with a hybrid on a longer chip and run, but the head is so light that it doesn't work well on closer chips, which is why I'm asking about setup adjustments to use my putter from off the green.

Got it.  That sounds tough......

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, Corrstown said:

Thanks very much for update, glad it is going well for you. Golf is back here from Monday 26th April, so will have another go at putting side saddle with my improvised long putters and see how it compares to putting with a "regular" putter. I have also been reading up on some new putter grip called Kotahi which claims to help with wrist break down and keeping the putter face aligned but i have been down that road of trying different putter grips before with very little signs of marked improvement. I think i know already that i will be ordering a Bobby Grace F22 in the next few weeks, probably should have done so in anticipation of the return to golf in Ireland but just couldn't motivate myself when there was no planned return date for golf. 

I see your comment re sitting in the pub chatting with friends - unfortunately the return of pubs/restaurants, even outside, is not likely to return here anytime soon.   

Thanks again.

Hi Corrstown,

I have just taken delivery of my new Bobby Grace F22 with a 41" a** kicker shaft.

If you are near Corrstown Golf Course in Dublin then I live just over an hour away on the Meath/Cavan border.

With inter-county travel returning on Monday 10th you might want to take the opportunity to see one in the flesh before you order one?

20210507_223323.jpg.be7f1c3353e024759706f5cb92649e35.jpg 

Edited by arennick
I said "kick a** shaft" when it should have been "a** kicker shaft".

I've just started sidesaddle and am using an old BeeLine 50" long putter.  As you all already know there is no way to audition the different models before buying a dedicated sidesaddle putter so I've got a question about shaft length.  For my height, I see recommendations of 44-48" which is quite a spread.  My question is, can I get any useful approximation of feel by just choking down on my 50" putter, or is the balance going to be off enough that it won't really tell me anything?

I realize that I could cut this one down to 44" but then there is no going back to 48".

As an aside, I just learned that Bobby Grace is located within 2 hours of where I live.

Yea you can do it in stages.  For me there’s two key factors to the length.  1) How do you want to stand/make your stroke?  2) how do you feel most comfortable with the position of your lead arm/hand.  Once you make a determination on #1, you can work on #2.  
Using the super bent over Juan-Putt type technique was tough for me, both to practice and to lag putt.  I like to stand taller and my stroke is more like John Dahl demonstrates on YouTube.  

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Thanks!  I like to stand tall(er), in fact that is one of the attractions of sidesaddle -- I think that I will be able to practice more and longer than conventional due to the upright stance.

When I choke down to 44" I don't feel much more bent over but I''ll keep playing with it.  I'll look at John Dahl's stuff.

5 hours ago, tm3 said:

I've just started sidesaddle and am using an old BeeLine 50" long putter.  As you all already know there is no way to audition the different models before buying a dedicated sidesaddle putter so I've got a question about shaft length.  For my height, I see recommendations of 44-48" which is quite a spread.  My question is, can I get any useful approximation of feel by just choking down on my 50" putter, or is the balance going to be off enough that it won't really tell me anything?

I realize that I could cut this one down to 44" but then there is no going back to 48".

As an aside, I just learned that Bobby Grace is located within 2 hours of where I live.

What is your height?

I'm 6'4" and prefer an upright posture for sidesaddle/face-on putting.

I have both 48" and 50" putters, with the 50" as my current gamer.

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

17 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

What is your height?

I'm 6'4" and prefer an upright posture for sidesaddle/face-on putting.

I have both 48" and 50" putters, with the 50" as my current gamer.

I'm 6', or probably just a skootch under now that I'm old and decrepit.

The GP putter site would put me in a 48" and the Bomar site would put me in a 44".

I think that I may putt a little better when I choke down to the 44" level on my broomstick but I haven't really done enough comparison to be sure -- and I'm not sure that choking down on this long putter is equivalent to how a shorter shaft would work.

1 hour ago, tm3 said:

I'm 6', or probably just a skootch under now that I'm old and decrepit.

The GP putter site would put me in a 48" and the Bomar site would put me in a 44".

I think that I may putt a little better when I choke down to the 44" level on my broomstick but I haven't really done enough comparison to be sure -- and I'm not sure that choking down on this long putter is equivalent to how a shorter shaft would work.

Address posture is obviously a personal decision, but please understand considerable time on the practice putting green will be required to make an effective change. For that reason alone, you may want to consider a longer putter. 

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

2 questions if you don't mind. 

I have a Juanputt and I like it very much. Obviously, it has about a ten degree lie angle. Is it legal to hold it completely vertical and putt? Certainly part of the bottom would not be lying on the ground. 

I saw on the last page some discussion about using it from the fringe. I've been using it regularly from off the green with a croquet stroke. My understanding is since I'm off the green, its legal. Am I correct? 

2 hours ago, ronw04 said:

I have a Juanputt and I like it very much. Obviously, it has about a ten degree lie angle. Is it legal to hold it completely vertical and putt? Certainly part of the bottom would not be lying on the ground. 

I saw on the last page some discussion about using it from the fringe. I've been using it regularly from off the green with a croquet stroke. My understanding is since I'm off the green, its legal. Am I correct? 

Yes to both questions.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

On 5/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, ronw04 said:

I have a story about your first question.  (And it is perfectly legal, of course, to hold and swing the JuanPutt in a vertical position, as it is with ANY conforming club, putter or otherwise.)

My first side saddle putter was a GP, which is designed to be held and used vertically.  But I felt like it was just too small and too light, both of which are necessary for it to be both conforming AND able to be used vertically.

Then I came across the JuanPutt online and ordered one, and I had exactly the same question that you have about holding it vertically.  I called the customer service number explained my question, and Juan Elizondo called me back that evening.  We discussed my question, and he said, "Let me experiment a little bit tomorrow, and I'll call you back tomorrow night."  He did that, and his conclusion was that it would work fine on longer putts, but the reduction of the sweet spot from not soling the putter would be a problem on longer putts.  Which I have found to be exactly the case, btw.

Super nice man, and couldn't have been more helpful.  I think he advocates eventually using a shorter putter and getting closer to the ground, which may be, in part, a mitigating adjustment for soling the putter.

On 7/30/2015 at 12:54 PM, brentflog said:

I am making the switch to side saddle putting. I have had too many rounds of 71 or 72 with 34 putts. I was curious what kind of putters are my fellow side saddlers using? right now i am trying bobby grace heavyweight champ cut down to 42 inches. it has a pretty big head though so I have a wack-e L on the way to try.

I have played with one guy that putted side saddle and he was a beast! He was 55 years old and was tough to beat no doubt.  I wouldn't say that he was an amazing putter but he was definitely solid and made his fair share of birdies.  

Edited by Righty to Lefty

On 5/8/2021 at 1:34 AM, arennick said:

Hi Corrstown,

I have just taken delivery of my new Bobby Grace F22 with a 41" a** kicker shaft.

If you are near Corrstown Golf Course in Dublin then I live just over an hour away on the Meath/Cavan border.

With inter-county travel returning on Monday 10th you might want to take the opportunity to see one in the flesh before you order one?

20210507_223323.jpg.be7f1c3353e024759706f5cb92649e35.jpg 

Hi Arennick,

Just saw your post  last night and was amazed  that  there was someone else from Ireland on this forum who was not only interested in sidesaddle putting but who had purchased a Bobby Grace F22. I would be delighted and very grateful for the opportunity to have a look at your putter and give it a few rolls on a real green if possible.

I will send you a personal message to get your contact details.

Thanks 

8 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I have played with one guy that putted side saddle and he was a beast! He was 55 years old and was tough to be no doubt.  I wouldn't say that he was an amazing putter but he was definitely solid and made his fair share of birdies.  

This statement will risk being overly broad, so I'll make it only a personal observation:   You'll never see a golfer putting side saddle who isn't "definitely solid".  Anybody that puts the work in to learn to putt this way is going to be solid, and likely better than that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluedot said:

This statement will risk being overly broad, so I'll make it only a personal observation:   You'll never see a golfer putting side saddle who isn't "definitely solid".  Anybody that puts the work in to learn to putt this way is going to be solid, and likely better than that.

Agreed...right when I saw him set up to putt for the first time I immediately said "you shoot under par on the regular don't you" and he laughed and said that he had it to 5 under the day prior but finished out at 2 under on a respectable course.  He was in good shape still and you could just tell he could play and he just abused the mens league playing from the senior tees.  

So an absolute first yesterday, one that I'm still sort of processing.

First green of a Carolinas Golf Association four ball tournament, and my partner and I are playing with two guys from another part of the state whom we had not met before.  Believe me when I tell you that I am ALWAYS mentally prepared for somebody to say something about side saddle in that situation; in an interclub match last week, for instance, I putted on the first green and one of the guys said, "The ghost of Sam Snead!"  And so on...

Anyway, I hit my first putt and then walked up and tapped in, and one of the other guys said, "Is that a Bobby Grace putter?" 

I was stunned!  I said yes, and asked him how he knew that, and it turned out that he had played in another four ball with another BG user with an F22; I didn't recognize the guy's name.  I was expecting him to name one of the guys that I already knew who putt this way, but that wasn't the case. 

I have written many times on this thread that the better the player, the more interested and the less freaked out they are by side saddle, and I thought I had heard it all by now, but this was a new one on me.  It was probably random, but it made me sort of wonder if there isn't some gradual growth in the number of players who are putting this way.

I putt so much better since I went to sidesaddle. I have a LAB long putter that’s great inside of about 18 feet. Outside of that it takes too big of a swing and my lag putting goes to hell. I’ve started carrying a second long putter, a Ping Craz-E with sand down the shaft. Way better distance control. A bit strange carrying 2 putters but we’re a bit different anyways!

Hi All. 

Thought I’d report back my current side saddle journey status. (Note, spoiler alert my username was previously cantputtwontputt). 

Anyway. I started putting side saddle early in the year after putting conventionally for 20+ years.  When putting conventionally I was averaging around 40 putts a round and missing anything over 1 foot in length with incredible yips. I turned to side saddle. 

I am now regularly taking 31/32 putts a round in side saddle. I actually look forward to putting.  On Friday, my birthday I shot my lowest ever round with 72 shots gross (on a par 72). I joined a new club in April this year and have 8 cards in for my new handicap. 
My handicap is currently 4.7 but that will settle to around 9 when my 20 cards are in. 

Members are all supportive/interested in the technique, no-one has been rude, how could they be, look at the great Sam Snead. 

I love putting, I love side saddle, I love my f22. 

thanks to all of you on this forum. Without you I could NOT have shot level par or slashed my handicap, there would have been zero chance of that.  Putting is now the strongest part of my game which is a joke considering I was famous for being the worst putter anyone had met (without exaggeration). 

Thanks

CanPuttWillPutt

• Like 4

23 hours ago, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

Hi All. 

Thought I’d report back my current side saddle journey status. (Note, spoiler alert my username was previously cantputtwontputt). 

Anyway. I started putting side saddle early in the year after putting conventionally for 20+ years.  When putting conventionally I was averaging around 40 putts a round and missing anything over 1 foot in length with incredible yips. I turned to side saddle. 

I am now regularly taking 31/32 putts a round in side saddle. I actually look forward to putting.  On Friday, my birthday I shot my lowest ever round with 72 shots gross (on a par 72). I joined a new club in April this year and have 8 cards in for my new handicap. 
My handicap is currently 4.7 but that will settle to around 9 when my 20 cards are in. 

Members are all supportive/interested in the technique, no-one has been rude, how could they be, look at the great Sam Snead. 

thanks to all of you on this forum. Without you I could NOT have shot level par or slashed my handicap, there would have been zero chance of that.  Putting is now the strongest part of my game which is a joke considering I was famous for being the worst putter anyone had met (without exaggeration). 

Thanks

CanPuttWillPutt

Congrats!  Wonderful story!

On 6/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

Hi All. 

Thanks

CanPuttWillPutt

Very cool.  Welcome to the club!

17 hours ago, Foozled said:

At last a forum specific for side saddlers/ face on putters. I’m only twelve pages into the thread, but wanted to say thanks to all the contributors for their discussions.

I ordered the ice cube from Texas three years ago and had it shipped over the ocean to England. I also use a ping B60.

cheers all !

excellent, where in England are you? i'm in Oxfordshire....nice to meet a fellow brit side saddler. 🙂