2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

On 6/8/2021 at 4:25 PM, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

excellent, where in England are you? i'm in Oxfordshire....nice to meet a fellow brit side saddler. 🙂

Hi

I’m up in the North East, Hartlepool. I’m a member at Seaton Carew Links.

I went side saddle about 7 years ago, because I couldn’t get round in less than 40 putts. Best thing I ever did.

I started with a long Ping B60, but now committed to using “ The Ice Cube “ which I bought a while back.

great to hear there’s another Brit side saddler on here.

great forum, the best face on resource there is. 

Edited by Foozled
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

Hi All. 

Thought I’d report back my current side saddle journey status. (Note, spoiler alert my username was previously cantputtwontputt). 

Anyway. I started putting side saddle early in the year after putting conventionally for 20+ years.  When putting conventionally I was averaging around 40 putts a round and missing anything over 1 foot in length with incredible yips. I turned to side saddle. 

I am now regularly taking 31/32 putts a round in side saddle. I actually look forward to putting.  On Friday, my birthday I shot my lowest ever round with 72 shots gross (on a par 72). I joined a new club in April this year and have 8 cards in for my new handicap. 
My handicap is currently 4.7 but that will settle to around 9 when my 20 cards are in. 

Members are all supportive/interested in the technique, no-one has been rude, how could they be, look at the great Sam Snead. 

I love putting, I love side saddle, I love my f22. 

thanks to all of you on this forum. Without you I could NOT have shot level par or slashed my handicap, there would have been zero chance of that.  Putting is now the strongest part of my game which is a joke considering I was famous for being the worst putter anyone had met (without exaggeration). 

Thanks

CanPuttWillPutt

Hey everyone, just thought I'd check back in with the group and hear any success stories and/or answer any questions that I can!

CanPuttWillPutt2 - this is exactly how I was for sure.  I almost never got asked to play in a scramble because I was such a bad putter it was literally a wasted stroke for the team because I couldn't hit it on a line we all agreed on at all.  Happy to hear you're having some success!

I'm working on getting a left handed buddy to side saddle, we played in a 2 man scramble yesterday just for fun, and he actually used my BG F22 a couple times (putting left handed with it) and made a 12ft birdie with it.  It's hilarious.  I've recommended him the Holloway putter for a cheap option to try it out, he's just too proud to make the switch.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:37 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I scored a GP putter on the bay and it arrived today and....I don’t like it. I don’t like it at all. The head has little to no MOI so if you strike it slightly off center it sends an unpleasant vibration up the shaft and you can feel the putter twist. Overall the feel and stability are missing. With that said, this is my opinion only, and the putter does have a few pros. For example it looks nice at address, and swings like a perfect pendulum. However, as good as the YouTube videos are, this is no Slim Jim. Matzie Charles Owens for the win!  

After reading all of your comments on the Slim Jim, I had to pull the trigger on a used one I found.   I should have it in a week or so.  I did face on for a couple of years, going through L2, GP, BG F-22, Ping B60, STX, Juan, and some no name ones as well.  I ended up going away from face on for just over the past year using a DF Blad putter traditionally, and have been averaging 32 putts over the past 35 rounds, but I still like so many things about face on putting that I thought I would give the slim jim a try.  Great reading about all of smaller mfg out there over the years.  

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Any updates on the Holloway Putters?  I played in my state stroke play, at my home course, and completely lost all faith in my F22 and needing something to rock the boat a little bit.

The "line" one is the one I'm eyeballing, its in a 420ish grams so the weight won't be all that different from my F22 with some weights pulled out, just think I need something different to look at.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 minute ago, AriA said:

Would love a Holloway update as well since I'm also on the fence with pulling the trigger on one. I'm also looking at the 'line', but a little unsure of what length to go with. 

I'll recommend longer than you think, cutting them down is much easier than extending.  Plus the longer one will make you stand up straighter, which is something i tend to struggle with when I'm putting poorly.  I end up crouching down farther and farther until the putter is almost on my chin.

7 hours ago, kenstl said:

After reading all of your comments on the Slim Jim, I had to pull the trigger on a used one I found.   I should have it in a week or so.  I did face on for a couple of years, going through L2, GP, BG F-22, Ping B60, STX, Juan, and some no name ones as well.  I ended up going away from face on for just over the past year using a DF Blad putter traditionally, and have been averaging 32 putts over the past 35 rounds, but I still like so many things about face on putting that I thought I would give the slim jim a try.  Great reading about all of smaller mfg out there over the years.  

Good choice! - It's so hard to find good examples.

What model Slim Jim did you pick up? Length? Photos?

What is your height?

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

I have just bought a Scotty Cameron Red X2 long. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Anyone used one of these side saddle.   I have converted a SC Kombi mid to long. Added length, bent upright, sand down shaft to add weight.  It goes well and is my current gamer. Just hoping a true SC long will be better. 

Edited by rexroh

4 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

Good choice! - It's so hard to find good examples.

What model Slim Jim did you pick up? Length? Photos?

What is your height?

I am 6'4" but have no idea on length, guess I will find out when I receive it.  It looks like it is 40+ inches in the photos.  If I like it, I will probably put on a new grip on so I can lengthen it if needed.  It is a Slim Jim El Segundo, i'll be intersted to see the size of the head.  

s-l500.jpg

s-l501.jpg

s-l502.jpg

• Like 1

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

31 minutes ago, kenstl said:

I am 6'4" but have no idea on length, guess I will find out when I receive it.  It looks like it is 40+ inches in the photos.  If I like it, I will probably put on a new grip on so I can lengthen it if needed.  It is a Slim Jim El Segundo, i'll be intersted to see the size of the head.  

s-l500.jpg

s-l501.jpg

s-l502.jpg

Ken, I'm 6'4" as well.  The head is small, but heavy, which is a good thing. These heads measure 2 7/8" wide by 2 3/4" deep and a face height 5/8" at the center. Your example looks to be 48" long. You'll most likely want to replace that grip with a two-piece offering. You may want to find an experienced club builder/machinist and have the shaft repositioned to a more upright lie-angle (79.5°). It's also worth considering having the loft reduced... however, they are quite usable as they are. Your particular Slim Jim model lends itself to hanging the shaft vertically at address because of the way the soul is relieved on the heel and toe. With the shaft hung vertically at address, it allows you to make a perfect pendulum stroke. You'll see what I mean...

BTW, I prefer side-saddle putting with a longer shaft (48"-52"). Standing more upright at address is much easier on your back and allows you to practice longer... *You'll have to put the time in to get comfortable with a totally different way of putting. You can't be thinking about technique and hope to make putts. Make sense?

Good luck my new friend... 🙂👍

• Like 1

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

1 minute ago, diddy2 said:

Scotty Cameron TourType Masterful SSS

Interesting choice for a side-saddle putter! - Did you read the thread title carefully?

On 7/26/2021 at 11:36 PM, Joe Duffer said:

Ken, I'm 6'4" as well.  The head is small, but heavy, which is a good thing. These heads measure 2 7/8" wide by 2 3/4" deep and a face height 5/8" at the center. Your example looks to be 48" long. You'll most likely want to replace that grip with a two-piece offering. You may want to find an experienced club builder/machinist and have the shaft repositioned to a more upright lie-angle (79.5°). It's also worth considering having the loft reduced... however, they are quite usable as they are. Your particular Slim Jim model lends itself to hanging the shaft vertically at address because of the way the soul is relieved on the heel and toe. With the shaft hung vertically at address, it allows you to make a perfect pendulum stroke. You'll see what I mean...

BTW, I prefer side-saddle putting with a longer shaft (48"-52"). Standing more upright at address is much easier on your back and allows you to practice longer... *You'll have to put the time in to get comfortable with a totally different way of putting. You can't be thinking about technique and hope to make putts. Make sense?

Good luck my new friend... 🙂👍

Thanks Joe Duffer...  off to a good start, plan on using it for the next few rounds at a minimum.  My practice and one round thus far have been outstanding, will see how it goes through multiple rounds.  I have been putting long putts (over 20') with an open stance and split hand (think Hammy putter style), as that is extremely comfortable and have putted off and on like that on long putts for many years, and face on 20' and in.   I had putted face on for a year or two in the past, so I already have some comfort in the process, footwork and stroke area, just need get back in it with this specific putter. Man that is a small face with regards to the height of the face!  I do love the heavy weight of the head in a small footprint and your mention of the shaft is right on, it is "flexible" compared to some other long putters I have had in the past.  

From reading what I could find on the putter, it appears to be made out of brass?  You are correct, I need to replace the grip, and a higher lie angle would be nice, although I would have to find someone capable of performing that work.  Have you had any of your Slim Jim's buffed out to a shiny brass look?  I would be interested in seeing a photo of one if have done that in the past.  

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

4 hours ago, kenstl said:

Man that is a small face with regards to the height of the face!  I do love the heavy weight of the head in a small footprint and your mention of the shaft is right on, it is "flexible" compared to some other long putters I have had in the past.  

From reading what I could find on the putter, it appears to be made out of brass?  You are correct, I need to replace the grip, and a higher lie angle would be nice, although I would have to find someone capable of performing that work.  Have you had any of your Slim Jim's buffed out to a shiny brass look?  I would be interested in seeing a photo of one if have done that in the past.  

Yes, the original Slim Jim clubheads are brass with tungsten plugs.  You'll find the shallow clubface design is perfect when hanging the shaft vertically.  When doing so, it puts the center of the clubface (sweet spot) right on the equator of the ball. 

I don't think you want to buff-out that brass putterhead!  It might look cool hanging on the wall, but would be terribly distracting on the golf course. What I do, and what I would recommend, would be to paint the clubhead with flat black spray paint and then paint the recessed alignment lines with some Testors enamel paint, which you could find at your local hobby store. Testors provides a huge selection of colors... *I don't paint the clubface

If you decide to have the lie-angle adjusted, the only way I've found to get this modification done properly is to drill out the clubhead and insert a sleeve.  GOOD LUCK! 🙂

Edited by Joe Duffer

So I got a new putter grip for my regular putter a few weeks ago, and had been experimenting with different hand positions, until my scratch golfer friend told me I might be using an illegal grip this week. While looking up more information on that, I stumbled upon side-saddle (and eventually, this thread)!

I was on the practice range last night, and when I got to the green I said "screw it" and tried going side-saddle with my regular putter (mallet-style, Super Stroke grip, nothing special at all). Immediately amazed at how easy it was (even without the right putter) - I had the right weight and line on all my lag putts, and I was nailing everything within 5-6ft. I wouldn't shut up about it to the other guy on the green either (thankfully he didn't mind and was curious himself).

I'm now on the search for the right putter myself for this technique. I’m a bit limited with options because I’m in Canada, so I'm thinking either the GP (I like the custom lengths, and the build) or the Ice Cube (cheaper, single long grip, interesting clear block). I'm leaning towards the Ice Cube but I'm mostly not sure about the feel with the acrylic.

Any tips for this side-saddling newbie?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:43 AM, hardpan1 said:

putters-2021-ten-2-ball-broomstick-linedOdyssey broomstick putter...48" long, 3* loft, 450 gram head...return of the long putter! 

https://www.callawaygolf.com/clubs/odyssey-putters/alternative-putting/putters-2021-ten-2-ball-broomstick-lined.html

Sure, why not? - However, it might possibly be better for sidesaddle putting if it were a more centered-shafted design and one where the shaft entered the head farther back from the face. Good Luck! 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:14 AM, OpalJagger said:

So I got a new putter grip for my regular putter a few weeks ago, and had been experimenting with different hand positions, until my scratch golfer friend told me I might be using an illegal grip this week. While looking up more information on that, I stumbled upon side-saddle (and eventually, this thread)!

I was on the practice range last night, and when I got to the green I said "screw it" and tried going side-saddle with my regular putter (mallet-style, Super Stroke grip, nothing special at all). Immediately amazed at how easy it was (even without the right putter) - I had the right weight and line on all my lag putts, and I was nailing everything within 5-6ft. I wouldn't shut up about it to the other guy on the green either (thankfully he didn't mind and was curious himself).

I'm now on the search for the right putter myself for this technique. I’m a bit limited with options because I’m in Canada, so I'm thinking either the GP (I like the custom lengths, and the build) or the Ice Cube (cheaper, single long grip, interesting clear block). I'm leaning towards the Ice Cube but I'm mostly not sure about the feel with the acrylic.

Any tips for this side-saddling newbie?

1. Get a putter with an 80* lie angle.
2. Get a putter with minimal loft. 
3. Take a look at the various sites (GP, JuanPutt, Ice Cube, etc) to guesstimate an initial length; start longer because you can always cut it down.

4. Center shafted is probably preferable; I don’t know of any putters made specifically to be used side saddle that are NOT center shafted.

Most side saddle guys have found the GP head to be too small and too light, which is a trade off caused by the design being intended to be used in a vertical position. Bobby Grace probably makes the best side saddle putter out there, but the JuanPutt is quite good also.  There are more and more out there, and I have most of them (insert smiley face here) so feel free to ask.

14 hours ago, bluedot said:

1. Get a putter with an 80* lie angle.
2. Get a putter with minimal loft. 
3. Take a look at the various sites (GP, JuanPutt, Ice Cube, etc) to guesstimate an initial length; start longer because you can always cut it down.

4. Center shafted is probably preferable; I don’t know of any putters made specifically to be used side saddle that are NOT center shafted.

Most side saddle guys have found the GP head to be too small and too light, which is a trade off caused by the design being intended to be used in a vertical position. Bobby Grace probably makes the best side saddle putter out there, but the JuanPutt is quite good also.  There are more and more out there, and I have most of them (insert smiley face here) so feel free to ask.

This is great! Definitely wanted to go with an 80* lie angle, but hadn't thought about loft yet, so that's good to know. Is it expensive/practical to cut shafts down? Like can I walk into any GolfTown and ask them to do that for me? I don't know if the upright style is for me (I didn't mind putting side-saddle with my standard-length putter the other day, for example), so I'm certainly wary of going too long.

What is it that makes the GP too small and light? I double-checked and it's still 400 grams, and the face looks relatively wide? As for the Bobby Grace and the Juan Putt, I really can't justify the prices at this point - I probably have the GP #1, and the Ice Cube just behind, but I go back and forth daily (especially while I wait for Ice Cube to tell me if they can ship to Canada...) I wouldn't mind trying the Holloway, but it seems there's no chance they'll ship outside of the U.S., unfortunately.

Do you mind listing the ones you do have?

5 hours ago, OpalJagger said:

This is great! Definitely wanted to go with an 80* lie angle, but hadn't thought about loft yet, so that's good to know. Is it expensive/practical to cut shafts down? Like can I walk into any GolfTown and ask them to do that for me? I don't know if the upright style is for me (I didn't mind putting side-saddle with my standard-length putter the other day, for example), so I'm certainly wary of going too long.

What is it that makes the GP too small and light? I double-checked and it's still 400 grams, and the face looks relatively wide? As for the Bobby Grace and the Juan Putt, I really can't justify the prices at this point - I probably have the GP #1, and the Ice Cube just behind, but I go back and forth daily (especially while I wait for Ice Cube to tell me if they can ship to Canada...) I wouldn't mind trying the Holloway, but it seems there's no chance they'll ship outside of the U.S., unfortunately.

Bluedot is correct.  I found the GP putter to be too light also.

As an example, my Bobby Grace putter head is 525g.

I think in the 450g range should be the minimum.

My other suggestion would be to buy a long putter cheap on ebay to experiment with.

Once you're comfortable with the length and the stroke - you can look to upgrade.

E

13 hours ago, OpalJagger said:

Ok,here goes:

GP

JuanPutt

Bobby Grace (4 different models, believe it or not…)

Directed Force

STX

Holloway

Bomar

I had a used Scotty Cameron Kombi for about 36 hrs until I took it back.  The only other one I sort wish I had would be an old Ping “hot dog” long putter, but that’s mostly Ping loyalty and nostalgia, rather than any real belief it would be better.  I’ve never really been tempted by the Ice Cube; just can’t get my head round the clear acrylic thing.

And don’t ask me what all of that cost…

Does anyone know where to get a summary of the techniques used for side saddle putting. Such as different stances, grip, stroke, shoulder alignment, shaft angle, eye position over ball, ball orientation to stance,etc ,etc.I am just starting out and would like to practice with proper fundamentals. Thanks,

18 hours ago, Flog18corky said:

Does anyone know where to get a summary of the techniques used for side saddle putting. Such as different stances, grip, stroke, shoulder alignment, shaft angle, eye position over ball, ball orientation to stance,etc ,etc.I am just starting out and would like to practice with proper fundamentals. Thanks,

This thread (bluedot especially), Google and YouTube...

*BTW, welcome to GolfWRX 🙂

Edited by Joe Duffer

22 hours ago, Flog18corky said:

Try videos from Randy Haag, Juan Elizondo, and David Cook.  For Cook, you might have to look under “7 Days in Utopia” to find the right guy, but he’s got a good instructional video in there somewhere.

Somebody buy this before I do... *You won't find a nicer example!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334103270970?hash=item4dca1b563a:g:bmYAAOSwROVhDLrU&autorefresh=true