Titleist 975's....?

I LOVE threads like this. The older drivers never seem to get "old" to me. The new stuff became larger and I cannot argue that forgiveness may be better, but there is a 975LFE on my bench that is screaming for a shaft and some grass time. After a bout with a Callaway DBD that may have resulted in head failure, I think that the LFE may be the next build for me. Maybe a current model shaft will give it a perk that I never had back in the day. There is a Veylix of some sort in the garage that catches my eye every night when I get home......the plot thickens.
Apprenti23, you kill me with that pic! I have a bag in the office that looks very similar, only all TaylorMade "Tour" drivers. Sort of a junkie, when it comes to that. I toy with selling them off, but then I read a thread like this and think of how little cash value most of them have and put that idea back in the deep reaches of my mind.
LFE! Here we come!
LaMont in AZ

[quote name='golfluvzme' timestamp='1447000602' post='12569854']
Apprenti23, you kill me with that pic! I have a bag in the office that looks very similar, only all TaylorMade "Tour" drivers. Sort of a junkie, when it comes to that. I toy with selling them off, but then I read a thread like this and think of how little cash value most of them have and put that idea back
[/quote]
I took each one of the 905's out in the past two weeks and used em. Not much distance loss at all on well struck shots- the really bad is still really bad, but the almost shots are better with new tech.
Supposed to play tomorrow maybe I'll use my LFE! I'll shoot you a pic haha

I can't say the 983k is the best driver ever, but I can say it is the best driver, for me, that I have ever hit. The 983e is great also. I've hit some of my longest drives ever with one. But I need more spin to make it controllable.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Let's keep this short and sweet.

Good News: The 983K [s]is[/s] was really very long and surprisingly consistent.
Bad News: I've cracked the head...

Good News: The 975D plays like a persimmon driver on crack cocaine. Can be a bit twitchy, so you need to tell it who's boss.
Bad News : The only bad news here is that I'll have to buy another 975D head just so I can play steel shafted.

So the 983K gets the King of the range award. King of the track definitley goes to the 975D!

A few specs for those who need it:[list]
[*]975D 9.5° Graffaloy Prolite 35 Stiff flex
[*]983K 9.5° Fujikura Speeder Stiff flex
[/list]
Both of these played at 45 inches, I've no idea of SW or dead weight.

In all seriousness I've never been a fan of modern drivers, and I've never had consistent results long term with graphite either.
Both of these drivers really surprised me at how well they performed with their stock shafts.
I'm looking forward to putting the 975D through it's paces with steel.

Cheer J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Say what you want about its performance vs. stuff now - fact is the thing was crazy popular for like 4-5 years straight for a reason. It was a great club then, and seeing how it's a hunk of titanium I doubt it has changed much.

I think trying to put them up against modern stuff sorta misses the point. No one is saying throw a 975 in your bag and knock it past a 915, but they're still great clubs.

The 975D - then later the J, J-VS, L-FE....all great drivers if they fit you.The 983 series - also awesome. 905s....also great. They lost their way a bit with the 907s (still not on their club archive website I think) chasing weird geometry and hybrid material stuff...but they've been solid again ever since.

• 1 month later...

Just to keep this one updated...

I still had an itch to scratch after cracking the 983K head, I eventually managed to pick up a 983E head. While I do like the look of this head much better, so far for me It's night and day when compared to the K performance wise, meaning I cant hit this at all! I haven't completely written it off yet though...

I've played the 9.5° 975D a few more times and on the course it's a hell of driver I'm going to keep this stock as it is now.

Though for the sake of consistency will do another 975D build with with DG Steel.

Now this is where I need to call on some the knowledgable folk's experiences around here before I go and pick up another head.

At the moment I only have available to me locally both 8.5° & 10.5° heads.

So before I jump in I'd like to try and figure out what sort of impact the DG steel will have on ball flight and launch compared to a stock 9.5 with a Prolite 35

For what it's worth, I normally play my bore though Persimmon drivers with DG X200/100 with 7.5 - 7.75 inches to the first step, so I'd be inclined to start with these specs unless there's a good reason not too.

Any guidance here is much appreciated!

J

P.s There's no cause for alarm, I'm not heading to the dark side any time soon!

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's

For what it's worth. The 975d represents a time before I started my physical decline and I am sure that is one reason I am still so partial to it. Another, I remember a young pro I played a lot with getting ready for his playing exam. He had access to all the latest and greatest Titlest gear, but he used a steel shafted 975d his practice rounds and his exam because he almost never missed the fairway with it.

Great head design... For me, they could have stopped making drivers after that.

Just an old guy rambling drinking coffee on a rainy day.

Ok here is a pic of the 905r from the same haul that produced the Scotty Mil Spec. Has a UST V-2 shaft in it 76 grams stiff. I had to extend it to 45 for me because at 43 it was too short and light. WTH the grip was shot to crap anyhow. Found evidence when I took the grip off that the shaft had been aligned and pured. As you can see I had to mess with the weight some for me. This thing is a rocket for me and I hit it pretty good with my little cut actually it goes a little straight. I have hit about 50 balls on the range with it getting it dialed in for me. I have yet to game it in the line of fire yet but maybe tomorrow depends on how wet the courses are. I think the same guy had it also had the Mil Spec because the Mil Spec was cut to 33" of of it's spec of 35". he must have been short of statue

Now the Mil spec is not be confused with the rusty Sante Fe I found this week

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Nice find. There's not so much talk about that vintage of driver round here, but that's a nice set up. The V2 shaft was the first graphite shaft that I found that I really liked, in a Titleist 906 3 wood. Coming from more traditional woods, I liked the playability and feel of combination more than the other ultra lightweight and oversized woods of the day. I've since landed 983K and 905T drivers with the same shaft and like them both very much. Hope you have fun with it.

Unbelievable that you found that, and the 2 Scottys. Having said that, and I like patina as much as the next guy, but comparing the second Scotty to an original Anser 2 and I know which I'd rather have.

For what it's worth, I normally play my bore though Persimmon drivers with DG X200/100 with 7.5 - 7.75 inches to the first step, so I'd be inclined to start with these specs unless there's a good reason not too.

My understanding is that you're on the right track - match the first step to ground measurement and don't worry about the depth of hosel insertion. FWIW, a persimmon with X100 would be too stout a set up for me, but I have a 975D tipped like you describe and I find it quite playable, albeit at 10.5* loft.

For what it's worth. The 975d represents a time before I started my physical decline and I am sure that is one reason I am still so partial to it. Another, I remember a young pro I played a lot with getting ready for his playing exam. He had access to all the latest and greatest Titlest gear, but he used a steel shafted 975d his practice rounds and his exam because he almost never missed the fairway with it.

Great head design... For me, they could have stopped making drivers after that.

Just an old guy rambling drinking coffee on a rainy day.

Randy - I love the head also. It reminds me of a nice persimmon driver.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I reshafted my 975D with a TT Dynamic Gold and love it. I play it with my 980F fairways (also DG shafted) and my old Mizzy Cimarron Blades. That is my classic bag that I play with an old Bullseye flange putter and play as often if not more than my modern set.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I still play a 975F with a modern Rombax shaft ... amazing head even by today's standards.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

TimV, that is such a classy sounding old set. The whole bag.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

It's going out the door for another round here shortly.

I will try and remember to post a couple pics of the whole set here in the next day or two.

I'm pretty proud of it. It's in an older Mizzy Bag and I have St Andrews checked headcovers.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I know the 975J doesn't get the love the D does but I still play my J quite often. It has wonderful feel and sound and I rarely miss a fairway with it. Very under-rated driver IMO.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

TimV, that is such a classy sounding old set. The whole bag.
Thanks, I appreciate that. It's going out the door for another round here shortly. I will try and remember to post a couple pics of the whole set here in the next day or two. I'm pretty proud of it. It's in an older Mizzy Bag and I have St Andrews checked headcovers.

I took a bunch of pictures so I will make their own thread for them. Don't want to hijack this one.

The old Titleist 975 driver's have been catching my attention lately. I'm entertaining the idea of picking one up. However where do I start? There seems to be a few different models that I've seen around 975 J, D, VS etc.

Can someone fill me in on what the different models were and what purpose they serve?

Cheers J

I have a 9.5 D Aldila Stiff.......I'll give it to you for what I paid for it, which is $0.........Seriously!!..........

Don't mean to sound like a beggar, but I will gladly take any "free to a good home" 983E or 975D clubs. Shucks, 980F or 975F as well. Please, standard length shafts (or close to it) only though. Send me a nice clean one, and I'll send you a pocket knife.

Just fishing a little bit. No harm intended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the 975D and the FW also. The 16.5 deg I have with a steel shaft I still use and is straight as can be and can be worked. People don't realize how forgiving the driver was. It is what attracted me to the driver first. Unless it was a god awful swing always found the fairway .... dam might have to start using it again.

I found another 975D head, so I can finally start on a steel shaft build. I spent a little more time with the 983E, I can hit well enough but at the end of the day it just doesn't feel right to me with the Speeder shaft. I do like how hit sits at address though.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's

The old Titleist 975 driver's have been catching my attention lately. I'm entertaining the idea of picking one up. However where do I start? There seems to be a few different models that I've seen around 975 J, D, VS etc.

Can someone fill me in on what the different models were and what purpose they serve?

Cheers J

I have a 9.5 D Aldila Stiff.......I'll give it to you for what I paid for it, which is $0.........Seriously!!..........

Hey thanks for the offer, but I'm on the other side of the globe!

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's