Best courses in Twin Cities, MN

rlheiman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would The Wilds stack up against Chaska Town Course?

I'm narrowing it down to these two unless Mystic re-do is a better choice.

I've always enjoyed the Wilds...a bit pricey from what i remember tho. havent gotten a chanch to play town course yet but i always hear good things. i doubt that you'll be disappointed with either course.

• 2 weeks later...
Played The Wilds yesterday.For $100, the pockmarks on the green could and SHOULD have been better.Horrible greens condition.

Wow, that's too bad.

I played Keller GC in St. Paul on Saturday (yes, the course that was said to be "not worthy" of this thread) and it was in really nice shape, despite the drought this year. I was pleasantly surprised.

Great thread -- glad I stumbled across it. I live in Western WI and make it out to MSP area every once in a while. Troy Burne is challenging (bring your SW), but I'll second the suggestion of Mississippi Dunes. I almost put my tee shot into the Mississippi River on #9 the time I played there; not quite as impressive a water hazard as the Pacific Ocean or Lake Michigan, but beautiful nonetheless.

Which is the course that ferries you over to the green after you hit your tee shot?

Great thread -- glad I stumbled across it. I live in Western WI and make it out to MSP area every once in a while. Troy Burne is challenging (bring your SW), but I'll second the suggestion of Mississippi Dunes. I almost put my tee shot into the Mississippi River on #9 the time I played there; not quite as impressive a water hazard as the Pacific Ocean or Lake Michigan, but beautiful nonetheless.

Which is the course that ferries you over to the green after you hit your tee shot?

i know stonebrooke in shakopee has a ferry hole, but thats the only course in the metro area that ive played that has a ferry.

almost in the river on 9....thats quite a pull.... :beach:

Not that I am expecting great things of it, but how is the U of M course? I've never played it and thought "what they heck" and have a tee time for Saturday. I used to deliver Meals on Wheels to houses around it, and it looked tight, tree-lined, and short with some elevated greens. Thinking the short game will get tested pretty good.

I played Deacons lodge earlier this year and it was awesome. Very scenic. Nearly every facet of your game will be in use and it is tree lined which I happen to like because when you miss a tee shot you are going to pay for it. I have played the Univ. of MN course about 7 times this year as I am a student and play for $21 and it is in decent shape. Nearly all of the greens are on a hill with slopes surrounding them. Much of the ground outside of the fairways is like hitting off of concrete. If you hit a high shot into number 12 the number one handicap hole and miss to the right you will watch your shot bounce in the air like it does off of pavement. It turned my near miss of the green into an interesting third under a tree but over a ridge. It is nice because it is about a half mile from my house and close to the city.

I played Deacons lodge earlier this year and it was awesome. Very scenic. Nearly every facet of your game will be in use and it is tree lined which I happen to like because when you miss a tee shot you are going to pay for it. I have played the Univ. of MN course about 7 times this year as I am a student and play for $21 and it is in decent shape. Nearly all of the greens are on a hill with slopes surrounding them. Much of the ground outside of the fairways is like hitting off of concrete. If you hit a high shot into number 12 the number one handicap hole and miss to the right you will watch your shot bounce in the air like it does off of pavement. It turned my near miss of the green into an interesting third under a tree but over a ridge. It is nice because it is about a half mile from my house and close to the city.

Thanks Jeff. I think a lot of courses are baked hard off the fairways from the drought. Tanner's Brook is the same way, even though the fw's and greens are in great shape. I played Keller last weekend and was really surprised how green it was. Best shape I've seen it in for some time, despite the hot dry weather.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I like the response so far on this thread! Here would be my favorite MN courses:

Twin cities public top 5:

1. Bunker hills - hands down the best $35 you'll ever spend to play golf

2. Links at Northfork - great links course on the northside of town

3. U of MN golf course - tough shorter course with tiny greens and tight fairways

4. Rush Creek - This one always makes me smile, great all-around course and awesome twilight rates

5. The Wilds - only downside are the number of homes on the course

Greater MN top 5:

1. Rochester CC - My all-time favorite MN course. I don't know what it is about this one, but if you ever get the chance to play it, it won't be a golf experience you'll soon forget -a true classic

2. The Pines in Nisswa MN - great public track, every hole is fun to look at but even more fun to play

3. Giants Ridge in Biwabik - 2 breathtaking golf courses that are as much a challenge as they are enjoyable

4. Superior National in Lutson - Wow! What a beauty. 2 of the nines are outstanding with some of the most tasty views you'll ever see. Set against Lake Superior, it reminded me of the plantation course in Maui :beruo:

5. The Classic (Brainerd area) - the name says it all

Most overrated (in my opinion) MN courses:

1. Deacon's Lodge - the only thing missing on this course is the windmill and clown's mouth. I've never seen more doglegs, gimmicks and blind shots assembled on one course. It will eat you alive if you don't know proper yardages or are having trouble finding the fairway. Oh well, lots of other great choices in the Brainerd lakes area!

2. Stonebrooke - I'm sorry, a ferry?!? Homes everywhere. This is one to skip.

gjlang76 I'd have to agree with your top 5 greater minnesota courses. I have played them all except for Rochester CC and Superior National. Recently I played The Classic at Maddens and Deacon's Lodge and found both to be amazing. I don't see how you found Deacon's Lodge to be gimmicky though. I thought it was a good test of golf with some spectacular scenery.

I don't see how you found Deacon's Lodge to be gimmicky though. I thought it was a good test of golf with some spectacular scenery.

It's a shot makers course, that's for sure. I just think there are far too many tee shots and/or 2nd shots over marsh/water and far too many fairways that bend 90 degrees. I guess I like a course that allows you to hit driver from the tee box even if it's not the smartest play. It's a good change of pace from the usual though and lots of people love it, just not my favorite type of golf.

If you liked your golf experiences in Brainerd and Biwabik, you should definitely try superior national some time. I highly recommend this one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Played Chaska Town Course for the first time on Saturday. Wow! Very impressed. If you are in the Twin Cities, it's worth the drive down there. Impeccable conditions (especially given it was 42 degrees when we teed off.) Variety of holes was really good. 1st hole was not too impressive, but after that, got much better.

I could see the rounds getting very long given the difficulty of the course, and the rough was really thick. Fortunately, the place was deserted for us on this day and we had it all to ourselves. Definitely an excellent value. If I were on the west side of town, I'd put this near the top of places to play over Rush Creek for certain, -and it costs less too!! Only downside to the Town Course was that there were houses bordering it on some (not all) holes. They were, however, far enough back to not be in play nor too intrusive on the sightlines of the course. Very walkable course too. One of my new favorites!

Mike,

How about #11? Might be the best par 4 in the state!

Kevin

Kev,

Right you are! I almost mentioned it in my post above. Heckuva tough hole. Force your hand into hitting a mid/long iron for your second. Fortunately, I nailed my drive right down the middle, and had about 190 to the flag for my approach and drew a perfect 6 iron pin high to about 15 feet. Just missed the birdie, but definitely my best hole of the day from a shotmaking standpoint. During the summer, I could see the need for a 3 wood off the tee, as the water comes into play at about 300 yards toward the end of the fairway.

There are a couple of brutal par 3's as well that sit on a ledge above water. #4 is about the nastiest little 145 yard par 3 you'll find, and at 190 yards full of difficulty, #12 is definitely not much of a rest after #11. Found the 3rd hole to be very interesting (drove the green unintentionally.) :man_in_love: I was just impressed with the variety of holes as much as anything else. I can't think of two holes on that course that are alike. It's a fairly long drive down there for me, but one I'll definitely make again.

Your name came up on Saturday Kev. rlheiman said, "Kev's on this side of town. We'll have to see if he wants to join us for a round here sometime." :D

Top North Metro Public Courses

1.) Bunker Hills

2.) Links at Northfork

3.) The Refuge

4.) Purplehawk

5.) Edinburgh

course i grew up on. love that place.

Is that the one up in Cambridge? I think I played it a couple seasons ago. Man, what a haul that is up there! Wasn't quite as impressed after the drive up as I was hoping to be. Nice land it sits on, but the course was kind of so-so for the drive I thought.

1.) Bunker Hills

2.) Links at Northfork

3.) The Refuge

4.) Purplehawk

5.) Edinburgh

Is that the one up in Cambridge? I think I played it a couple seasons ago. Man, what a haul that is up there! Wasn't quite as impressed after the drive up as I was hoping to be. Nice land it sits on, but the course was kind of so-so for the drive I thought.

yeap.

i can see how the drive can be offputting. while the course is def. not a top 10 in the state type course, i think its got a pretty fair layout withsome tough greens that they can get rolling reaaaaaallly quick.

its one of my sentimental favorites tho.

1.) Bunker Hills

2.) Links at Northfork

3.) The Refuge

4.) Purplehawk

5.) Edinburgh

yeap.

i can see how the drive can be offputting. while the course is def. not a top 10 in the state type course, i think its got a pretty fair layout withsome tough greens that they can get rolling reaaaaaallly quick.

Last summer while playing a round up there I saw something I'd yet to see golfing anywhere. I looked across the fairway and saw a guy in his sixties playing without a shirt. Very odd site. It can only happen in Kannebec county(sp)

If you like PurpleHawk have you tried Bulrush in Rush City. Cheap green fees, but an interesting track.

1.) Bunker Hills

2.) Links at Northfork

3.) The Refuge

4.) Purplehawk

5.) Edinburgh

yeap.

Last summer while playing a round up there I saw something I'd yet to see golfing anywhere. I looked across the fairway and saw a guy in his sixties playing without a shirt. Very odd site. It can only happen in Kannebec county(sp)

If you like PurpleHawk have you tried Bulrush in Rush City. Cheap green fees, but an interesting track.

its in Isanti county if i rememeber correctly. doesnt change the fact they they have a "diverse" clientel up there however. :man_in_love:

1.) Bunker Hills

2.) Links at Northfork

3.) The Refuge

4.) Purplehawk

5.) Edinburgh

yeap.

its in Isanti county if i rememeber correctly. doesnt change the fact they they have a "diverse" clientel up there however. :cheesy:

Yup, it is Isanti county. Ever stop in at the old Brass rail in Grandy? Best broasted chicken in the world. :good:

Chaska Town Course was flat out awesome. 2008 I will see it again.

One of those great bang for the buck courses. Way, way better than Rush Creek and much cheaper.

A great collection of tough par 3s and some nice drivable par 4s.

#18 is a mind game. Swamp all left the whole hole. Long enough par 5, narrow and bunkers straight out. I hate you 18!!

This course could be so much better if they didn't need all the money from the houses all around the course. But even with a few homes around the course it really shines as a winner for the west.

Well, looks like this weekend might be (gulp) the "Last one." I made a tee time as a single for the Links at NorthFork on Sunday at 12:36PM. Their tee sheet is pretty open, and the other 3 slots for my tee time are open. Open invitation to anyone that would like to get in 18 on Sunday! Can book tee times on their web site:

http://www.golfthelinks.com/

Come on out if you can make it!

-Mike

• 3 months later...

i live literally 5 minutes from the chaska town course so I play there quite frequently and it is a great course..... 18 is probably my least favorite hole on that golf course!! our coaches try and get us to go like 6 iron-6-iron-6iron. I think I have only birdied it once.....Also if you are looking for some good values..Dahlgreen Golf Club is a classic as well Deer Run Golf Course that is a nice one. One of my personal favorites is Baker National which is out in the middle of nowhere.