$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

I went over board on my garage sim. The most critical part is the construction and the quality of the screen. I run gc2 with hmt and the fsx courses with dual usb 2.0 cams with GASP and boditrak. Last weekend I demo'd MySwing which will be included soon. The Foresight FSX software is awesome and the performance app shows so much more than what radars show.

What did you go with for the screen? Enclosure? I got the gc2 as well and trying to finish off the setup

Dornstar, Are you still hitting into your original quilt? If so, is it holding up well?

I am. That thing is bomb proof and still looks great. Can't believe I haven't blown through it by now. Image isn't perfect, but is pretty darn solid for being a quilt and a $30 Ikea quilt at that. There is netting behind it to give some support though.

Are you still pleased with the skytrak? Or do you regret not getting a flightscope or gc2? I'm about to get my own hitting bay going and was wondering how you feel about it after some time has passed.

Also, do you think getting a real feel golf mat from the beginning would have saved your elbow?

I'm totally satisfied with the SkyTrak and it gets better with every update. That said, if I had the funds at the time to buy a higher end launch monitor, I would have chose that, but the SkyTrak really gives me everything I need and my game has improved immensely with it.

Yes, I definitely think the RF mat would have saved my elbow. Before the surgery which was 9 days ago, every ball I hit was fairly painful and the difference between hitting off the RF mat and the All Turf was HUGE. My elbow felt like it was going to explode after every shot with the All Turf. There was just too much club drag with it. The RF mat feels like the club passes through it easier which is odd since the fibers are much denser and I didn't feel nearly as much pain hitting off it. If there's anything that I have learned from my experiences building this simulator is that if you have to make the choice between buying a high end mat or a high end projector or launch monitor, go with the mat.

Just finished reading through this thread.

Wow, love your work dornstar.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the project car and setting up a hitting net in it's shed space. You've now got me thinking I should go that extra step.

Glad to hear it.

When I first entertained making a simulator, pretty much all the information that I found was for a $5000+ simulator or something like OptiShot which wasn't a route that I didn't want to go. For most people, dropping $5000 or even $10000 on a simulator isn't a realistic option, so I just wanted to make a thread showing that it was possible to do it with limited funds. At this point, I couldn't imagine not having this room. We've insulated, painted it and added a lot of finishing touches over the past 9 months or so. It's become my "man cave" and I spend a huge amount of time out here even when not hitting balls. My office has even moved out here.... now referred to as the golf-ffice. It's just been such a great addition.

I am just over 1 month with My skytrak and really have enjoyed it. I had a similar budget and everything seems to work well. I enjoy the range so much I haven't purchased the simulator software (PG) because I don't really need to play holes. I like working on shapes, spin and flight.

one thing I did find was good deals on screens.

http://shop.virtual-golf-simulator.com/Impact-Screens_c5.htm

I went with the Poly screen for durability.

God I wish I had a garage....or even a ceiling high enough to do something like this. Good job on this set up! Gives me something to look forward to doing in the future!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I am just over 1 month with My skytrak and really have enjoyed it. I had a similar budget and everything seems to work well. I enjoy the range so much I haven't purchased the simulator software (PG) because I don't really need to play holes. I like working on shapes, spin and flight.

http://shop.virtual-...-Screens_c5.htm

I've tried all the sims like WGT and really, I have no use for it. They're fun for a bit, but I really just want to hit balls on the range.

I really wish SkyTrak would add a feature like the Trackman Combine so you could test your skills.

I've tried all the sims like WGT and really, I have no use for it. They're fun for a bit, but I really just want to hit balls on the range.

I really wish SkyTrak would add a feature like the Trackman Combine so you could test your skills.

I 100% agree, I like going to the range about as much as playing. Last night I was trying to hit low cuts and I enjoy the process of setup and swing thoughts. You can kind of tell what is going on if I hit a ball at the range but with this I can really work on spin numbers to get the flight I want.

This is what makes me lean towards the flightscope; I really want the combine feauture. But Dan told me the flightscope won't work as well indoors. And it is 500 more.

But I took your advice and got a real feel mat. So I have that taken care of.

This is what makes me lean towards the flightscope; I really want the combine feauture. But Dan told me the flightscope won't work as well indoors. And it is 500 more.

Just write down 100 different scenarios on small pieces of paper and pull them out of a hat

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Just write down 100 different scenarios on small pieces of paper and pull them out of a hat

This is a good one. Instead of paper, there's random generator apps that you can use on your phone as well.

I also do the tic-toe-toe drill....

High cut - High straight - High draw

Medium cut - Medium straight - Medium draw

Low cut - low straight - Low draw

With the green hit % that SkyTrak gives you now, it's easy to find out which shots you are most efficient with and which ones you should avoid like the plague on the course.

Flightscope works great indoors, assuming you have at least 16' to work with. I purchased the Xi a few weeks ago and have been using it in the garage - it's awesome!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Can you export shots out of SkyTrack? I have the P3 simulator and I built my own "combine". I also built a strokes gained simulation. For example, for every swing I take with the driver I simulate what would happen on holes of varying lengths and varying aim points. For each drive I will simulate where I would end up on a 350 yard hole with a 30 yard wide fairway if I aimed right up the middle, left edge of fairway, right edge of fairway, left center of FW, right center of FW, 5 yards into right rough, 5 yards into left rough. For every swing I take I do this for varying hole lengths and fairway widths and also place fairway bunkers in my virtual landing area.

I measure my strokes gained on each "fictional" hole to see how I am doing with that club. I do the same thing with each of my irons to greens of varying sizes and aimpoints.

While the P3 is OK, I am looking to move to the SkyTrack for next winter so I am curious if you can export that shot data out of the system.

Thanks!

Sticky...

You can download them to a PDF or import them to your SkyGolf profile

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that I forgot to mention. The ceilings aren't super high in this garage. Probably around 9', but there are cutouts for the AC handler which allow me to hit everything but my driver in here. You can actually see a driver mark on the ceiling.

411657592.jpg

How tall are you?

I have a 9' pour basement and the ceilings are around 8'-6" and I happen to have at least one thing in common with Tom Cruise (no not having hot wives who are taller than me or being worth a half a billion) which when dry swinging down there will let me swing all my irons and possibly even a 3 wood. I'd prefer to do this in the basement vs the garage so I don't have to take up space in there.

Great thread. This could really be a game changer to get a ton of practice in with feedback.

In search of solid contact...

Do you use anything other than the numbers to get feedback on your swing? Mirror work or cameras? I have a GC2 in my garage and am worried about developing bad habits in order to get better numbers in the short term.

If your numbers are good then you must be doing something right to produce them. Remember that this is a results centric game. If the habit gives good consistent results than it is a good habit even if it doesn't look like adam scott.

Alternatively you could just sell that GC2 to me if you feel like it will hurt your game, I'll take one for the team. :pimp:

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Do you use anything other than the numbers to get feedback on your swing? Mirror work or cameras? I have a GC2 in my garage and am worried about developing bad habits in order to get better numbers in the short term.

If your numbers are good then you must be doing something right to produce them. Remember that this is a results centric game. If the habit gives good consistent results than it is a good habit even if it doesn't look like adam scott.

Alternatively you could just sell that GC2 to me if you feel like it will hurt your game, I'll take one for the team. :pimp:

I'm actually not too far from shipping this things off. Not too convinced I'm capable of improving my swing hitting into a screen.

In all honesty though I think it can be counterproductive to chase numbers. That's how I've developed a lot of bad habits in my swing in the past (flipping to keep from slicing, chicken winging to fight a hook, etc). It's just easier to groove swing changes for some people when a coach, playing partner, or self (video) have an eye on it. I'm not one to be able to feel positions that I get into in the swing.

I'm actually not too far from shipping this things off. Not too convinced I'm capable of improving my swing hitting into a screen.

In all honesty though I think it can be counterproductive to chase numbers. That's how I've developed a lot of bad habits in my swing in the past (flipping to keep from slicing, chicken winging to fight a hook, etc). It's just easier to groove swing changes for some people when a coach, playing partner, or self (video) have an eye on it. I'm not one to be able to feel positions that I get into in the swing.

PM me if you actually want to sell it been looking for one

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread I just cleared the garage to make an indoor range.

Started with just a net and All Turf Mat Supermat XL from Amazon.

Garage is 19x19.

Then my buddy bought me an Optishot 2 as a gift. So I decided up up my game on this garage range.

I bought the Optoma GT1080 projector. Bought a 108x144 poly screen.

Likely going to upgrade to the CCE 5x5 mat.

Looking at SkyTrak as a LM. I have a Mac and I'm not sure if the software is compatible with it. There is a Father's Day deal for $2k you get the LM, protective case and WGT/GI.

Will reuse my netting to make side netting for the screen.

Went to Lowe's and bought cheap outdoor AstroTurf to line the floor.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Jaron

Garage is 19x19.

Then my buddy bought me an Optishot 2 as a gift. So I decided up up my game on this garage range.

Looking at SkyTrak as a LM. I have a Mac and I'm not sure if the software is compatible with it. There is a Father's Day deal for $2k you get the LM, protective case and WGT/GI.

Jaron

Do you have a link for the turf? I'm looking for some trying to get ideas

Garage is 19x19.

Jaron

SkyTrak is great, but only PC software is Windows. However works great with iPhone 6 or 6+ or 6s, or a late model iPad. Ideal would be a new iPad Pro.

You need the CPU speed of late model iOS devices to avoid waiting 10-12 seconds for the shot to be simulated. My iPhone 6+ displays the shot in about 2-3 seconds.

Garage is 19x19.

Jaron

Do you have a link for the turf? I'm looking for some trying to get ideas

http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/#order

Promo code usgolftv will save you $75 on a 5x5 CCE mat.

Just ordered it a few hours ago.

Garage is 19x19.

Jaron

SkyTrak is great, but only PC software is Windows. However works great with iPhone 6 or 6+ or 6s, or a late model iPad. Ideal would be a new iPad Pro.

You need the CPU speed of late model iOS devices to avoid waiting 10-12 seconds for the shot to be simulated. My iPhone 6+ displays the shot in about 2-3 seconds.

I've got a new iPad mini and an iPhone 6s Plus. I wonder if I installed bootcamp on my Mac and ran Windows from it if it would work. I guess I could project the iPad or iPhone to the projector through Apple TV.

Garage is 19x19.

Jaron

Do you have the add-on software like TGC or WGT? What do you use the most and can you use the above software on you iPhone or iPad.

Garage is 19x19.

Jaron

Do you have the add-on software like TGC or WGT? What do you use the most and can you use the above software on you iPhone or iPad.

No, so can't help you there. Most folks like TGC the best over at http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/skytrak, which is a good resource for information like this. As an added bonus, a SkyTrak product manager, Seth, is active there.

I went over board on my garage sim. The most critical part is the construction and the quality of the screen. I run gc2 with hmt and the fsx courses with dual usb 2.0 cams with GASP and boditrak. Last weekend I demo'd MySwing which will be included soon. The Foresight FSX software is awesome and the performance app shows so much more than what radars show.

What did you go with for the screen? Enclosure? I got the gc2 as well and trying to finish off the setup

The whole enclosure including the most resistant, silent and brightest screen and the Country Club Elite mat, was built by Foresight Canada.

You can see some pics of my room here: http://tinyurl.com/js5249x

With a GC2, HMT, and Flightscope XiTour, I get the whole picture.