$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

Seems about right. I'd suggest adding the impact screen last to make sure of what size your projector is actually outputting (and you may be happy with a painters tarp).

The mat as well, I found a $300 Optishot official mat for $125.

I was able to get away with a projector that was $150 on Black Friday. Isn't technically short throw, but if you put it infront of, or to the side of, the mat, and just angle it up with something (like coasters) it should work fine. If you go back a page or so and look at my set-up picture, you'll see what I mean.

Does anyone know whether you can calibrate the distance and spin numbers for high altitude? I live/play at 8,000 feet and considering renting a storage unit for the snowy winters to set up a simulator with a couple buddies to keep the swing fresh from October - April. However, there's a pretty big difference in what balls do this high in elevation compared to sea level. Would be cool if you could calibrate it for certain altitudes.

Does anyone know whether you can calibrate the distance and spin numbers for high altitude? I live/play at 8,000 feet and considering renting a storage unit for the snowy winters to set up a simulator with a couple buddies to keep the swing fresh from October - April. However, there's a pretty big difference in what balls do this high in elevation compared to sea level. Would be cool if you could calibrate it for certain altitudes.

I used to live in Eagle-Vail. At 8000 ft. are you in East Vail?

I don'the know about altitude settings on Skytrak but I do know that Flightscope Xi and X2 have an altitude setting down to the foot.

I used to live in Eagle-Vail. At 8000 ft. are you in East Vail?

I don'the know about altitude settings on Skytrak but I do know that Flightscope Xi and X2 have an altitude setting down to the foot.

I live in West Vail, but play Eagle-Vail a few times a week.

For all the garage simulator guys -- how are you keeping your garage cool/warm? I'm looking at the minisplit but there's so much leakage out in the garage. I would need to insulate the walls, drywall, insulate the garage door, add more insulation to the attic, and maybe add brush seals?

Thoughts?

Still trying to figure that out myself. It's a pretty big undertaking to do all that. Was thinking of giving a big space heater a try first and see how it does. The problem is the good ones are propane and you don't want to have one of those "indoors".

I did insulate, drywall, hang a heater in my garage.

But I would probably do it again anyways without the sim, it keeps the garage much warmer in the winter.

I also hung a ceiling fan for the summer. Raise the door and turn the fan on, it's nice.

The heater I hung is natural gas, ran black iron from basement through wall, to ceiling. On a thermostat, takes 10 mins to warm up my 20' x 22' garage.

But I would probably do it again anyways without the sim, it keeps the garage much warmer in the winter.

I also hung a ceiling fan for the summer. Raise the door and turn the fan on, it's nice.

The heater I hung is natural gas, ran black iron from basement through wall, to ceiling. On a thermostat, takes 10 mins to warm up my 20' x 22' garage.

For all the garage simulator guys -- how are you keeping your garage cool/warm? I'm looking at the minisplit but there's so much leakage out in the garage. I would need to insulate the walls, drywall, insulate the garage door, add more insulation to the attic, and maybe add brush seals?

Thoughts?

Still trying to figure that out myself. It's a pretty big undertaking to do all that. Was thinking of giving a big space heater a try first and see how it does. The problem is the good ones are propane and you don't want to have one of those "indoors".

Yeah, unfortunately it's a huge job and adds quite a bit to the expense of a simulator, and I'm really going back and forth whether to just wait until I move or fork over the expense. I currently have a net, CCE mat, already installed a track in my ceiling, that alone is about $700 in the job already, and I go out there or try to most days, it's just usually too hot/humid in the summer and too cold in the winter. Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any electronics in the garage with those insane temperature swings.

The way I'm set-up I can't have the garage door up, or I'll hit it with my club since the ceilings are only 8.5 ft. And we don't have natural gas, just electric so the only feasible way I see it is via a mini split. So either I pay $900 for this Climate Right DIY http://www.climateri...-heat-pump.html and do it myself hoping to not screw anything up, or wait for a cheap used mini split with minimum 12,000 BTU and pay HVAC guy $400-$500 to install. I haven't even checked if I need an electrician yet.

It's all for naught though if I don't insulate the walls, door, and attic. It will be still extremely hot or cold and I'll have a ridiculous energy bill. I figure I could at least insulate the walls, and hang the drywall sheets, and insulate the garage door, and pay someone to finish the drywall and spray in the attic. I'd estimate to have someone do my already partially drywalled garage 1 wall, 20x8.5 and half another wall 10x8.5 to insulate and drywall, I'm looking at $750. Then another couple hundred for spray in the attic, then $900 for the DIY mini-split. Then I still need to spray insulation on the currently drywalled outer wall at minimum. That adds about $2k to my total simulator expense. I don't anticipate moving for 3-5 years, and I have 1 kid and another on the way, so I really would benefit from it though and could take the mini split with me. Unfortunately I'm not that handy so I may just fork an extra $300-$400 to have someone hang the drywall, insulate the walls, and I'll insulate the garage door myself.

I am assuming garage walls are outer walls, so I would just need to buy fiberglass batting the right size and rating, correct? Then just cut and staple it? It can't be that difficult, right? I won't give a s*** what it looks like as the drywall will cover it up. I wonder if someone at a retail hardware could help me out. I'd also love to know the cost of having it all installed and leaving the mini-split running at 80 in the summer and 45 in the winter at all times if it was fully insulated if anyone knows.

I'm lucky my garage came finished, only thing I might add is an AC unit for the summers, but opening the windows and turning a fan on over night cools it down quickly. I only use it in the morning or late evenings right now so it's good so far.

If this thread was posted 2 years earlier, we would have looked elsewhere!

You don't have to keep it cooled or heated all the time. I don't. I have a window AC that i turn on about 10 mins before i play and it cools it off fairly quickly and i do the same with the heater. My upper garage walls and ceiling are not insulated so it doesn't retain heat or coolness for very long after you turn them off.

You don't have to keep it cooled or heated all the time. I don't. I have a window AC that i turn on about 10 mins before i play and it cools it off fairly quickly and i do the same with the heater. My upper garage walls and ceiling are not insulated so it doesn't retain heat or coolness for very long after you turn them off.

Do you leave your launch monitor in those conditions or bring them inside? What about projector? TV? Computer? I'd imagine I'd need to keep it at least above freezing temperature and below 95?

Just seeing if I'm in the ballpark here, but this is about what I'd be looking at starting from scratch...

Skytrak $2,000

Projector $300 (or $800 for a short throw)

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

And again, some of these I'm guessing on, but $3200 or so?

It all varies. I was patient and snagged a Skytrak for a solid discount, use my iPhone that I already have for the app, cashed in some cc points for BBY gift cards on the projector and Apple TV, went with the smaller CCE mat and a separate stance mat from SKLZ and put grommets in myself on the screen. That knocked off about $1000 from your estimate. You can make it a lot more expensive obviously, but plenty of ways to make it functional and on the cheaper end...as Dornstar taught us all :)

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

SkyTrack has an altitude setting you can do in increments of 50 ft. It comes out of the box at 500 ft and I'm at 700 ft. It's an adjustment in the settings.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I have my skytrak in my garage and I'm in Utah. I haven't done a winter yet but I do get between 90 and 100 most days in july and I added a window ac that i start at least 30 minutes before hitting. I did that yesterday afternoon when it was 97 out and had the garage down to around 80 when i started hitting. I also added seals to the garage door and insulated it which seemed to help in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Just seeing if I'm in the ballpark here, but this is about what I'd be looking at starting from scratch...

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

It all varies. I was patient and snagged a Skytrak for a solid discount, use my iPhone that I already have for the app, cashed in some cc points for BBY gift cards on the projector and Apple TV, went with the smaller CCE mat and a separate stance mat from SKLZ and put grommets in myself on the screen. That knocked off about $1000 from your estimate. You can make it a lot more expensive obviously, but plenty of ways to make it functional and on the cheaper end...as Dornstar taught us all :)

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

I'm attempting to use an iPhone 6 with the skytrack and it won't connect to start. Is anyone else using an iphone 6, or found it to work with the 6s or +? Also, does anyone have different experience with the various ipad's? Curious if the newer ones with better processer and graphics have less lag after you hit

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

I'm attempting to use an iPhone 6 with the skytrack and it won't connect to start. Is anyone else using an iphone 6, or found it to work with the 6s or +? Also, does anyone have different experience with the various ipad's? Curious if the newer ones with better processer and graphics have less lag after you hit

I use my 6+ and have zero issue. It connects via Apple TV and mirrors through my projector. Wonder if you need a software update?

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

Skytrak $2,000

Used IPad Air 2 $300

Apple TV $70

4'x5' CCE Mat $400

Impact screen $150

I've used iPhone 6+ and iPad 2 without problem.

Callaway Epic subzero 
Srixon u85 18 degree 
Srixon 975/z-forged
Cleveland RTX 4
Taylormade spider
Srixon XV

I got my net and a CCE hitting strip over the weekend

I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow and pick up what I need to make a stance mat

Next I play to pick up a used or demo Skytrak and a USB camera so I can video my swings

I'll just use the Skytrak with a laptop until I decide if I want the projector and screen

And if I find a smoking deal on a GC2, I might go that route

I'm looking for the best way to insulate the ceiling of the garage. Since it's cathedral ceilings, rather than get way up there and stuff insulation, was looking at doing this along the horizontal rafters (you know, the ones you store your scrap wood on). There's some rigid insulation board available I was going to just screw up, has anyone had experience with this?

Also, I'm hitting Almost Golf balls. Is there any advantage for using a tarp with a projector versus just painting the wall I'm hitting into white? The Almost golf balls don't damage the drywall.

I got my net and a CCE hitting strip over the weekend

I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow and pick up what I need to make a stance mat

Next I play to pick up a used or demo Skytrak and a USB camera so I can video my swings

I'll just use the Skytrak with a laptop until I decide if I want the projector and screen

And if I find a smoking deal on a GC2, I might go that route

The only problem would be finding a "smoking hot deal" on a GC2

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

GolfWRX'er special...I'll sell you my GC2 for $6k...eh?

Joking aside, I think Skytrak made it even harder to buy used GC2's.

People get a Skytrak, sell it and upgrade to a used GC2. I haven't seen a used GC2 sell under $4k since last year.

I just happened to have caught one of the last ones that 2nd Swing was selling, luckily.