$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

Is there any advantage in picture quality using a painters tarp or bedsheet vs painting a wall with a flat white finish as far as projector image quality?

It'll look similar until you start making massive holes in your wall from hitting golf balls into it. Then picture quality will likely suffer.

I'm actually using Almost golf balls. They've been good with hitting against drywall so far, I intend to continue to use those instead of real golf balls so it's more in terms of what's best for picture quality.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used the Net return and iPad on a stand that I had built.   I sold it this week. I find the distances not to be any good since last update I had done. My 7 iron which is 168 on trackman was 155 on

Anyone check out the new SkyTrak update yet? Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet...

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Anyone check out the new SkyTrak update yet? Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet...

Yup, it's fantastic. I wish the skills trainer would randomize which club you were hitting instead of progressing from wedges to driver but other than that it's great. Relatively flexible. Not as robust as some of the more expensive software but I am glad they are continuing to iterate.

That's not a bad way to go if you're fine using a LM with foam balls....which to me, seems silly/counterproductive.

But if your system doesn't measure what the ball does (only club), I assume its fine.

You can use Optishot without any ball at all. It is all preference if you want to work use one or not. For me, it's not a priority to hit a real ball.

That's not a bad way to go if you're fine using a LM with foam balls....which to me, seems silly/counterproductive.

But if your system doesn't measure what the ball does (only club), I assume its fine.

You can use Optishot without any ball at all. It is all preference if you want to work use one or not. For me, it's not a priority to hit a real ball.

It's also not close to accurate.

I've heard some people find it pretty accurate, others not. A lot of it seems to come down to calibrating it.

How far off did you find it on the readings? In terms of face angle, etc?

It seems Optishot 2 may be more accurate than the original, as well. Same hardware but has a software upgrade.

I've heard some people find it pretty accurate, others not. A lot of it seems to come down to calibrating it.

It seems Optishot 2 may be more accurate than the original, as well. Same hardware but has a software upgrade.

Depends on definition of accurate I suppose. Shots were in my opinion to far off to be used for anything but a toy and the yardages weren't even close. Nearly 30 yards off with a 7 iron

100% agree with you on the yardages. Out of the box this thing is dreaming on distances. It definitely takes a little time to set up each club on the driving range to get that squared away.

I believe the squareness of club face takes some monkeying with outside the software. Mainly with lighting, and it's also helpful to use reflective tape. Especially with driver. I'm still working on calibrating that, as I've only used it three times so far.

I think I've seen an Optishot vs Trackman comparison somewhere and it wasn't good. But it's not going to be that accurate given the price.

Also, the hardware IS the problem. Just not possible to be very accurate with the spacing of the sensors.

This would be nearly useless practice for me as my swing with the ball and without it are dramatically different.(Yes I have very bad hit impulse)

This would be nearly useless practice for me as my swing with the ball and without it are dramatically different.(Yes I have very bad hit impulse)

Understandable. I can see it cause issues of topping balls if someone practiced all winter without one. I didn't use one last time w the Optishot because I haven't finished the mat set up.

I looked at the game improvement feature and seems pretty cool. I still can't play or hit balls ( elbow injury) but looking forward to this new addition on skytrak. essentially it is a ladder drill that you can input yardages. At least that is how I will use it. Can't verify any differences on the algo update for lower less spinning shots.

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

I looked at the game improvement feature and seems pretty cool. I still can't play or hit balls ( elbow injury) but looking forward to this new addition on skytrak. essentially it is a ladder drill that you can input yardages. At least that is how I will use it. Can't verify any differences on the algo update for lower less spinning shots.

It's a nice update. It also shows your groupings in an overhead format much like the more sophisticated software of Foresight, etc.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60s
Callaway XR Pro TC 14* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80s
Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
Callaway XR Pro TC 23* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x

Maltby TS-1 5 iron - KBS Tour 120s

Srixon Z745 6-PW - KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom

Spider Tour Red 

Depends on definition of accurate I suppose. Shots were in my opinion to far off to be used for anything but a toy and the yardages weren't even close. Nearly 30 yards off with a 7 iron

I have an Optishot 2 set up in my garage with a Hank Haney hitting net (piece of crap, don't recommend!)

I tried the foam balls that came with it (after I made two holes in my garage door due to real balls going straight through the net), but I HATED not having the feel of a real ball off the club face so rigged the net together with zip ties and a double folded tarp over the back of it and it seems to be holding up OK for now.

I definitely had to do some adjustment to the distances as most were significantly shorter than my actual distances. Open/closed face seems pretty accurate though. All winter the optishot was telling me I was hooking it left, which I figured was BS, but as soon as I was able to get out on the course sure enough, everything was going left.

My lighting set up is terrible, so I do get the odd flyer where it says I had 130 mph clubhead speed, but I just hit mulligan and redo. Might happen once every couple of rounds.

No matter what I do though, I cannot get it to pick up my current driver (X2 Hot)

I had gone back to my old Adam 9064 and it picked that up fine, but the shaft on that thing is 1.5" shorter than the X2 Hot so that did terrible things to my game once I switched back to my normal gamer.

It's odd because it seems to pick up my 4 wood (which is also an X2 Hot) just fine, and it has basically the same base as the driver.

I ended up just swinging the 4 wood instead of driver, but told the software I was hitting driver and set the distance to the 260-280 I normally get with driver and it seems to work out OK.

Came so freaking close to a hole in one on it the other day...172 yard par 3 and my shot landed in the hole on the fly but then hopped out :/

I have an Optishot 2 set up in my garage with a Hank Haney hitting net (piece of crap, don't recommend!)

I tried the foam balls that came with it (after I made two holes in my garage door due to real balls going straight through the net), but I HATED not having the feel of a real ball off the club face so rigged the net together with zip ties and a double folded tarp over the back of it and it seems to be holding up OK for now.

I definitely had to do some adjustment to the distances as most were significantly shorter than my actual distances. Open/closed face seems pretty accurate though. All winter the optishot was telling me I was hooking it left, which I figured was BS, but as soon as I was able to get out on the course sure enough, everything was going left.

My lighting set up is terrible, so I do get the odd flyer where it says I had 130 mph clubhead speed, but I just hit mulligan and redo. Might happen once every couple of rounds.

No matter what I do though, I cannot get it to pick up my current driver (X2 Hot)

I had gone back to my old Adam 9064 and it picked that up fine, but the shaft on that thing is 1.5" shorter than the X2 Hot so that did terrible things to my game once I switched back to my normal gamer.

It's odd because it seems to pick up my 4 wood (which is also an X2 Hot) just fine, and it has basically the same base as the driver.

I ended up just swinging the 4 wood instead of driver, but told the software I was hitting driver and set the distance to the 260-280 I normally get with driver and it seems to work out OK.

Came so freaking close to a hole in one on it the other day...172 yard par 3 and my shot landed in the hole on the fly but then hopped out :/

Have you tried putting some reflective tape on the bottom of the driver?

Have you tried putting some reflective tape on the bottom of the driver?

Yeah that was the first thing I tried. Didn't help one bit.

Even when I was trying to calibrate the driver I'd have to do 15-20 passes just to get it to pick up one, and by the time I got done it'd give the message that the calibration was compromised anyway.

My lighting probably doesn't help things, but I found it odd that it'd pick up my old driver no problem but not the X2 hot

I also have an Optishot 2 and am very happy with it. Of course you are always wondering how this stacks up to SkyTrak and other high dollar units. But for $118 shipped brand new sealed on eBay and $40 a year for the online membership you cant beat the price.

Agreed there are a few errant shots every now and then, but that is mainly due to my lighting setup as well. I currently use real balls, hitting into my Rukket net, and a custom hitting platform topped with Matzilla 48"x60" (coupled with optishot matzilla top).

Currently interested in stepping up the setup with a projector and hitting screen, but no dead set plans yet.

I am just over 1 month with My skytrak and really have enjoyed it. I had a similar budget and everything seems to work well. I enjoy the range so much I haven't purchased the simulator software (PG) because I don't really need to play holes. I like working on shapes, spin and flight.

one thing I did find was good deals on screens.

http://shop.virtual-...-Screens_c5.htm

I went with the Poly screen for durability.

Nice find. I like their use of a channel instead of grommets. What size pipe fits inside the borders? Did you buy pvc or metal pipe to go inside?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an Optishot 2 and am very happy with it. Of course you are always wondering how this stacks up to SkyTrak and other high dollar units. But for $118 shipped brand new sealed on eBay and $40 a year for the online membership you cant beat the price.

Agreed there are a few errant shots every now and then, but that is mainly due to my lighting setup as well. I currently use real balls, hitting into my Rukket net, and a custom hitting platform topped with Matzilla 48"x60" (coupled with optishot matzilla top).

Currently interested in stepping up the setup with a projector and hitting screen, but no dead set plans yet.

Is it true that optishot doesn't work with your driver or fairway woods unless you buy a special driver from them? Or am I thinking of a different system

Where did you find the OS2 for $118 new on ebay?

Is it true that optishot doesn't work with your driver or fairway woods unless you buy a special driver from them? Or am I thinking of a different system

Different system. Optishot works with any club.

I am just over 1 month with My skytrak and really have enjoyed it. I had a similar budget and everything seems to work well. I enjoy the range so much I haven't purchased the simulator software (PG) because I don't really need to play holes. I like working on shapes, spin and flight.

one thing I did find was good deals on screens.

http://shop.virtual-...-Screens_c5.htm

I went with the Poly screen for durability.

Nice find. I like their use of a channel instead of grommets. What size pipe fits inside the borders? Did you buy pvc or metal pipe to go inside?

I think I did 3/4" pvc but it didn't matter. I only used the top and bottom but did re-enforce the holes with sewing to make them stronger. the pvc I figured wouldn't get hit much and I worried about metal ricocheting.

• 4 weeks later...

Love reading all of the home hacks. I just can't wait until trackman is reduced to a small pocket sized unit with an app on my phone..

Ping G410LST 9* / Agera 75X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Or when Trackman doesn't cost more than a car. If the demand was there, theyd be wayyyyy cheaper.

That said, the home sim/launch monitor market is leaps and bounds better than just 5 years ago.

For 3500 you can have a spin measuring simulator with great software with 1,000s of courses in your own home. That wouldn't have bought you more than just the software before, and even then more like 10 courses.

Very cool thread!

How is the skytrak now with the latest version software? Do they have any combine type challenge mode yet? Looking at buying one and it's mainly the practice modes rather than sim play I'll be using.

Sorry, haven't been on much lately.

They have added a combine like challenge.... sort of. You hit shots from several yardages and then it gives you a handicap type score. You can change the distances used and the number of shots. Usually, I'll practice on the range and then finish my session by doing the test. It's nice because it adds some pressure into your practice sessions. The overall scoring though seems somewhat penal, but I like that it grades you tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back from the elbow surgery, the new skills assessment which is basically SkyTrak's version of the Trackman Combine has been a huge asset for my game and has really helped evaluate where I'm at and whether I'm actually making progress. Initially, I was struggling with my game and my first assessments of my ballstriking put me on a 14 to 21 handicap level. Not shocking since I was spraying the ball all over the place and was even battling the shanks from time to time. My body just didn't want to cooperate. Over the past 2 months as my elbow has got healthier, my game is starting to rebound and I'm now down to averaging between a 3-6 handicap ballstriking level. Overall, it'a an amazing tool to have. Not only does it help you assess and track your game, but it adds pressure to the situation similar to trying to score on the course. Maybe even more pressure than I typically have as I know I have to hit a great shot in order to score.

Here's today's assessment results...

9lezga3.png

The results also show the shots for each distance, your dispersion pattern and gives you a handicap for each shot. The handicap definitely does NOT grade easily. It takes a great shot to score well.

0JETh2f.png

I definitely have picked up some tendencies over the past 2 months.

1. I'm rarely ever long on my shots.

2. My partial wedges usually miss right. My full shots usually miss left.

3. My weakest distances are 90 and 120 yards. I consistently score my poorest there. Those are weird yardages for me. 90 is just short of a full LW or a shoulder high SW. I just need to work on that yardage. 120 is a full GW, but I'm hitting that particular club extremely poorly. I think it's time to replace it or have the lie angle checked as I'm fighting the ball going big time left with it.