$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

Crap, my indoor practice sessions have been nothing but amazing and helped me a lot through the winter but too much practice back fired on me. I have not hit golf balls for two weeks now due to elbow inflammation. Not sure though when will this go away.

Ouch. Used to have a lot of elbow inflammation but that's mainly caused by a swing flaw. Unfortunately changing it was quite painful for my game. I would work on changing your form to help with that. Or maybe it's just something that you experience dunno.

That could be one thing, I read that somewhere.

Or maybe I just overused my body I checked my logged and I have been hitting golf balls almost every day for more than 1 hour from January to late March haha. I used to play almost everyday in the summer 5 years ago but never got injured since when you play 18 holes you don't whack golf balls again and again for hours.

I remember the OP did blow his elbow due to too much practice too.

I am a physical therapist and treat a lot of golfers.

I myself used one of the All turf mats and it took about 3 months of hitting balls everyday but I started experiencing bilateral thumb Left wrist, hand and L elbow pain that I have never had in my whole career (manual therapist and hitting 1000's of balls a week for years). After reading the OP's experience I realized it might be the mat....

I made a homemade DIY version of the divotaction mat for $25 in about 30 mins and cut it into my existing mat. After 1 week all the pain is gone.

Take the warning seriously.

Thanks! I'll try the DIY route. I have not practiced that much indoors since it's summer now. I play a lot and never experience pain on the course because I guess grass is better than my mat at home. All the pain that I have developed are gone, so far.

Crap, my indoor practice sessions have been nothing but amazing and helped me a lot through the winter but too much practice back fired on me. I have not hit golf balls for two weeks now due to elbow inflammation. Not sure though when will this go away.

Ouch. Used to have a lot of elbow inflammation but that's mainly caused by a swing flaw. Unfortunately changing it was quite painful for my game. I would work on changing your form to help with that. Or maybe it's just something that you experience dunno.

That could be one thing, I read that somewhere.

Or maybe I just overused my body I checked my logged and I have been hitting golf balls almost every day for more than 1 hour from January to late March haha. I used to play almost everyday in the summer 5 years ago but never got injured since when you play 18 holes you don't whack golf balls again and again for hours.

I remember the OP did blow his elbow due to too much practice too.

I am a physical therapist and treat a lot of golfers.

I myself used one of the All turf mats and it took about 3 months of hitting balls everyday but I started experiencing bilateral thumb Left wrist, hand and L elbow pain that I have never had in my whole career (manual therapist and hitting 1000's of balls a week for years). After reading the OP's experience I realized it might be the mat....

I made a homemade DIY version of the divotaction mat for $25 in about 30 mins and cut it into my existing mat. After 1 week all the pain is gone.

Take the warning seriously.

Thanks! I'll try the DIY route. I have not practiced that much indoors since it's summer now. I play a lot and never experience pain on the course because I guess grass is better than my mat at home. All the pain that I have developed are gone, so far.

Here is how I made mine:

1. went to local synthetic turf store asked for a 12"X24" rem of their fairway hitting turf...they gave it to me for free

2. Went to home depot and bought the following:

• 1 Sheet of 12X24" Lexan - $15
  • 1 tube of silicone adhesive - $2
  • 1 4' strip of weatherstripping tape 1/2" - $2
  • 1 stip of airconditioner insulating foam (open cell foam) - $1.29
  • one piece of 2X2 exterior plywood 1/8"

Procedure:

• Use the lexan to template the cut out of the bottom of your mat and cut out with box knife
  • glue the turf to the lexan
  • glue a strip horizontally across the front and back of the lexan of the weatherstripping foam tape
  • glue the fluted foam strip along the long edge of the lexan
  • glue a few small pieces of the foam 2"diameter in the front and back mid section of the lexan
  • Glue the foam down to the plywood
  • Insert into the hole you cut in your mat

Enjoy pain free practice.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I'm seeing mid 4000s for an 8i:

-Srixon 765s

-Premium balls (kirkland, pro v1/x, snell, tm lethals, etc.)

-Real feel mat (country club elite)

-Measured with SkyTrak

Should be closer to 8000 if your hitting it good with a good tour ball like b330s or prov1

Lots of assumptions in this answer.

Club head speed is probably the biggest factor in spin rate and it's not listed.

I'm seeing mid 4000s for an 8i:

-Srixon 765s

-Premium balls (kirkland, pro v1/x, snell, tm lethals, etc.)

-Real feel mat (country club elite)

-Measured with SkyTrak

Should be closer to 8000 if your hitting it good with a good tour ball like b330s or prov1

Lots of assumptions in this answer.

Club head speed is probably the biggest factor in spin rate and it's not listed.

Agreed, but tour average is close to 1000 rpm per iron #. My swing speed is average, far below tour levels, and I produce about 1000 rpm per iron # when hitting solid shot. Much lower swing speeds would be lower for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here have a recommendation on an inexpensive projector? Non short throw. I want it behind me slightly. I looked up the model the OP used and its no longer available. Need an 8 ft wide screen from about 12ft away. Looking for something with good brightness but HD is not a must.

Thanks

Find something used on eBay. That's what I did and it is perfect.

how far away is the screen from where you hit?

10 feet but I could move closer or further as needed. just want the projector over or behind me so i dont have it between me and the screen. also spending extra on short throw seems unnecessary.

I believe I am just over 7 feet from screen. I bought a short throw projector (refurbished) for $550 and I believe it's 6'6" from the screen.

10 feet but I could move closer or further as needed. just want the projector over or behind me so i dont have it between me and the screen. also spending extra on short throw seems unnecessary.

I would reference the following when purchasing. It will help with what projectors will fit your space

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

OK, I pulled out my old All Turf Matzilla mat and realized that I liked use it as a stance mat better than the CCE. It's a little firmer. I ended up cutting a hole out of it and dropped the Divot Action mat in. They're both 1 3/4" tall, but I used some industrial velcro to hold the insert into place so it's a few millimeters higher. It matches up very well. Here's a pic...

413399681.jpg

If protecting your body is a concern, then I 100% recommend it over virtually any other mat. I hit a lot of balls and it's absolutely staggering how much my body feels better since switching from the CCE. I honestly felt like a 90 year old man most days with every joint in my body hurting. I was on the verge of going to get tested for rheumatoid arthritis since it runs in the family. Since switching, all those issues went away. I have no dog in this fight. I just want a mat that will let me hit as many balls as I want without my body breaking down. I think I've found it.

@Dorn or any other DivotAction customer -- now that the mat is a bit older, any issues? How is wear?

I have a CCE -- and been hitting on it for 6 months+, but have developed chronic left elbow pain. As such, thinking of adding on a "DivotAction ToGo" which is a new product that allows you to add the DA to your existing stance mat without cutting. Since I may end up taking my CCE back to Costco -- I don't want to cut into it.

Thanks for any tips and reviews.

+1 I too would like know/hear how the mat holds up after some prolonged use.

Sorry for the late response. I moved a few months ago to a condo near the beach which unfortunately means I had to give up the simulator. It was tough, but has been great for the family.

Anyways, the Divot Action mat definitely held up well and is one of the best choices for a high volume golfer. I would hit probably 1000 balls a week. For the average person who just hits occasionally, most mats would work. The problem with mats isn’t the cushion or padding like most people think, it’s the deceleration of the clubhead from the fibers. It just puts too much strain on the joints and the volume of balls you hit should be THE deciding force on which mat you purchase. High volume golfers really need to be looking at the Divot Action or Fiberbuilt. I prefer the DA myself.

OK, I pulled out my old All Turf Matzilla mat and realized that I liked use it as a stance mat better than the CCE. It's a little firmer. I ended up cutting a hole out of it and dropped the Divot Action mat in. They're both 1 3/4" tall, but I used some industrial velcro to hold the insert into place so it's a few millimeters higher. It matches up very well. Here's a pic...

413399681.jpg

If protecting your body is a concern, then I 100% recommend it over virtually any other mat. I hit a lot of balls and it's absolutely staggering how much my body feels better since switching from the CCE. I honestly felt like a 90 year old man most days with every joint in my body hurting. I was on the verge of going to get tested for rheumatoid arthritis since it runs in the family. Since switching, all those issues went away. I have no dog in this fight. I just want a mat that will let me hit as many balls as I want without my body breaking down. I think I've found it.

@Dorn or any other DivotAction customer -- now that the mat is a bit older, any issues? How is wear?

I have a CCE -- and been hitting on it for 6 months+, but have developed chronic left elbow pain. As such, thinking of adding on a "DivotAction ToGo" which is a new product that allows you to add the DA to your existing stance mat without cutting. Since I may end up taking my CCE back to Costco -- I don't want to cut into it.

Sorry for the late response. I moved a few months ago to a condo near the beach which unfortunately means I had to give up the simulator. It was tough, but has been great for the family.

Anyways, the Divot Action mat definitely held up well and is one of the best choices for a high volume golfer. I would hit probably 1000 balls a week. For the average person who just hits occasionally, most mats would work. The problem with mats isn’t the cushion or padding like most people think, it’s the deceleration of the clubhead from the fibers. It just puts too much strain on the joints and the volume of balls you hit should be THE deciding force on which mat you purchase. High volume golfers really need to be looking at the Divot Action or Fiberbuilt. I prefer the DA myself.

Agree 100% divot action or fiberbuilt if you hit a lot of balls. I actually liked hitting off cce but it eventually hurt me for your exact reason, it grabs the club even in well struck shots.

413399681.jpg

Anyways, the Divot Action mat definitely held up well and is one of the best choices for a high volume golfer. I would hit probably 1000 balls a week. For the average person who just hits occasionally, most mats would work. The problem with mats isn't the cushion or padding like most people think, it's the deceleration of the clubhead from the fibers. It just puts too much strain on the joints and the volume of balls you hit should be THE deciding force on which mat you purchase. High volume golfers really need to be looking at the Divot Action or Fiberbuilt. I prefer the DA myself.

Shame to hear that you had to give up the simulator.

I plan on hitting a lot of balls weekly, so divot action or fiberbuilt was what i was leaning towards. my other thought is a DIY gel insert that i've read about on the golf sim forums.

i imagine the only concern with the projector behind you is that shadows from you or the club in your follow through would affect your image. that being said, probably not a huge deal.

• 7 months later...

Really interesting thread here, thanks for all the input. In the middle of creating a similar set-up but using a 10' sport screen with a Carl's impact screen attached. little concerned that I just ordered the mat the OP used and caused surgery. Too late to cancel now, well I guess I can always put a divot action insert in.

413399681.jpg

Anyways, the Divot Action mat definitely held up well and is one of the best choices for a high volume golfer. I would hit probably 1000 balls a week. For the average person who just hits occasionally, most mats would work. The problem with mats isn't the cushion or padding like most people think, it's the deceleration of the clubhead from the fibers. It just puts too much strain on the joints and the volume of balls you hit should be THE deciding force on which mat you purchase. High volume golfers really need to be looking at the Divot Action or Fiberbuilt. I prefer the DA myself.

Agree 100% divot action or fiberbuilt if you hit a lot of balls. I actually liked hitting off cce but it eventually hurt me for your exact reason, it grabs the club even in well struck shots.

What tools are used to cut out a place for a divot action/fiberbuilt insert?

What tools are used to cut out a place for a divot action/fiberbuilt insert?

Just flip the mat over use the insert as a template and use a razor knife/carpet knife

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I agree that you need to be careful with a mat choice. Until this winter I had never had a golf injury (I’m 33). Installed a new simulator in November with a Real Feel golf mat. Within a few weeks I was having soreness in my left wrist and right hand. Practiced through it. A month ago I chunked one and felt the most excruciating pain in my ribs instantly. Tore an intercostal muscle. Sim has been collecting dust since and am in jeopardy of missing some prime outdoors golf weather if I don’t get better soon!

I agree that you need to be careful with a mat choice. Until this winter I had never had a golf injury (I'm 33). Installed a new simulator in November with a Real Feel golf mat. Within a few weeks I was having soreness in my left wrist and right hand. Practiced through it. A month ago I chunked one and felt the most excruciating pain in my ribs instantly. Tore an intercostal muscle. Sim has been collecting dust since and am in jeopardy of missing some prime outdoors golf weather if I don't get better soon!

That is why I stopped practicing my irons indoors ever since I injured my elbow. I mainly just do my driver and pitch and chip shots and hybrids. I am such a digger outdoors. Good thing I never tore anything, just a painful strain. I am sorry for what happened and hopefully you heal fast.

Anyone using skytrak done a correlation study with Almost Golf Balls to regular balls (tour level urethane)? In looking to reduce noise when I hit shots outside my house, I switched to Almost Golf Balls. Have been interested in Skytrak for a while just to monitor things and make practice a little more interesting but I probably can't use real balls unless I want to wake up my wife and kids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I use the 5x4 fiberbuilt with the 1x4 hitting area. Been hitting every day for a year and no elbow or wrist problem. I hit 3-4x a ween in Chicago at a driving range that had terrible mats and I tore my TFCC ligament in my wrist and developed pretty bad elbow pain. The Fiberbuilt is the real deal. Pay a little more and you will not regret it!

I spent $12K on my setup. Got the Uneekor, impact screen, projector....the whole 9 yards. Love it more than anything in my house. Best investment ever. 

By the way,.....this is THE BEST thread on WRX. It was my inspiration to build out my sim room once I bought my house. Tip of the cap to ya, Dornstar!!

Edited by DallasDan

On 6/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, Rohlio said:

Here is how I made mine:

1. went to local synthetic turf store asked for a 12"X24" rem of their fairway hitting turf...they gave it to me for free

2. Went to home depot and bought the following:

• 1 Sheet of 12X24" Lexan - $15
  • 1 tube of silicone adhesive - $2
  • 1 4' strip of weatherstripping tape 1/2" - $2
  • 1 stip of airconditioner insulating foam (open cell foam) - $1.29
  • one piece of 2X2 exterior plywood 1/8"

Procedure:

• Use the lexan to template the cut out of the bottom of your mat and cut out with box knife
  • glue the turf to the lexan
  • glue a strip horizontally across the front and back of the lexan of the weatherstripping foam tape
  • glue the fluted foam strip along the long edge of the lexan
  • glue a few small pieces of the foam 2"diameter in the front and back mid section of the lexan
  • Glue the foam down to the plywood
  • Insert into the hole you cut in your mat

Enjoy pain free practice.

•  

I did this same exact thing. The only thing that can be annoying is it’s kind of loud when you hit down on it because of the Lexan polycarbonate but other than that it’s as good a cheap alternative as you’ll find IMO. 

6 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I did this same exact thing. The only thing that can be annoying is it’s kind of loud when you hit down on it because of the Lexan polycarbonate but other than that it’s as good a cheap alternative as you’ll find IMO. 

I'd try to fix that by using carpet padding between the turf and lexan.

Edited by Stuart_G

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 7:07 AM, DallasDan said:

I use the 5x4 fiberbuilt with the 1x4 hitting area. Been hitting every day for a year and no elbow or wrist problem. I hit 3-4x a ween in Chicago at a driving range that had terrible mats and I tore my TFCC ligament in my wrist and developed pretty bad elbow pain. The Fiberbuilt is the real deal. Pay a little more and you will not regret it!

I spent $12K on my setup. Got the Uneekor, impact screen, projector....the whole 9 yards. Love it more than anything in my house. Best investment ever. 

By the way,.....this is THE BEST thread on WRX. It was my inspiration to build out my sim room once I bought my house. Tip of the cap to ya, Dornstar!!

How are you liking the Uneekor so far? 

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2