Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

Light bulb moment with his swing method!! IMO his swing instruction is the greatest golf instruction on Youtube. I have watched 1000's of videos and tried everything. Yes chased the belly button with right elbow, drop club, left knee shift, left his bump etc Honestly nothing worked like this not even close. The best thing about this swing is it does away with all the unlimited check points that one has to make in the conventional swing. I love this swing because there is just one magic move I need to make on the DS. I will drop 3 large ones to have lessons with him. $3k is nothing when one considers the hours in wasted on trying to fix what cant be fixed. . I am NEVER and I mean NEVER going to look at another swing video unless its Mikes. There is too much junk on YT.

2017 is going to be dedicated to this swing. Every day 100 slow drills for the next 90 days and then 50 half swings on the range. Alas something to work on this winter!

Light bulb moment with his swing method!! IMO his swing instruction is the greatest golf instruction on Youtube. I have watched 1000's of videos and tried everything. Yes chased the belly button with right elbow, drop club, left knee shift, left his bump etc Honestly nothing worked like this not even close. The best thing about this swing is it does away with all the unlimited check points that one has to make in the conventional swing. I love this swing because there is just one magic move I need to make on the DS. I will drop 3 large ones to have lessons with him. $3k is nothing when one considers the hours in wasted on trying to fix what cant be fixed. . I am NEVER and I mean NEVER going to look at another swing video unless its Mikes. There is too much junk on YT.

2017 is going to be dedicated to this swing. Every day 100 slow drills for the next 90 days and then 50 half swings on the range. Alas something to work on this winter!

its pretty simple if you understand it, the video above is key to his thinking, which I sum up as swing to the top then just hit the ball, no hip bumps or leg drives. I like it a lot

I was curious to learn more about MM's ideas, so I signed up for the membership deal. The thing I like most is that he stresses the importance of being able to master a mostly arms, left arm parallell L to L swing before advancing further into the minutiae of the swing. (Like Monte has said for a long time). Even Gankas does this with beginners, then adds rotation later. MM says that if you can't master the left arm parallel swing with the arms working correctly, you will likely never be a consistent ballstriker. MM gives a simple explanation on how to do it correctly.

What I don't like as much is that IMO, his explanation of the arm swing is actually oversimplified and won't prevent the pitfalls that make the swing difficult and complex. Golf is hard.

I think anyone struggling to learn MM's method needs to know this and apply it accordingly

Someone put this link to Tiger and Butch Harmon on the Be Better Golf/Mike Malaski YouTube comments. Check this out, especially just after 1:50 mark. Look familiar?

[media=]

[/media]

haha I am glad you pointed that out, I think that was my comment that I left for him to see the Tiger video. super random to see someone mention it here. ha

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Well I've been home for 5 days and all I can say is impact is amazing using the malaska system. My irons have never been so crisp and unlike others, my distance has actually increased. I'm very content with my progress. One thing I've struggled with is using the line of the ball to aim for putts. So far I've yet to be able to line my eyes so that they match what I saw from behind the ball.

I was curious to learn more about MM's ideas, so I signed up for the membership deal. The thing I like most is that he stresses the importance of being able to master a mostly arms, left arm parallell L to L swing before advancing further into the minutiae of the swing. (Like Monte has said for a long time). Even Gankas does this with beginners, then adds rotation later. MM says that if you can't master the left arm parallel swing with the arms working correctly, you will likely never be a consistent ballstriker. MM gives a simple explanation on how to do it correctly.

What I don't like as much is that IMO, his explanation of the arm swing is actually oversimplified and won't prevent the pitfalls that make the swing difficult and complex. Golf is hard.

I think anyone struggling to learn MM's method needs to know this and apply it accordingly

Great video as usual from Monte. It connects the dots as I couldn't figure how to shallow the right arm AND turn the corner mentally MM style. I was stuck between either as a key but now I see it's a blend basically.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

GOLF | What Jack Nicklaus told Mike Malaska about the golf swing:

[media=]

[/media]

I love this video. One of the best explanations of this swing.

The 9:20 part is well worth watching.

Such an interesting video for me cause it really explains how different GG and MM methods are from the top. Especially arm drop vs turn.

Not looking to turn this into a GG vs MM method debate of which ones better or whatever, more just the MM video above just really makes clear to me how they each find a totally different way to shallow the club. So thanks for sharing.

Fwiw I don't think the bobby lopez or Monte videos have much to do with what MM is teaching. They seem to kind of say the opposite. Not going to get into who is right or wrong, but I'm not sure it's fair to MM to post videos of other instructors and say "yeh this is just like what MM teaches".

I wouldn't say Lopez is the exact opposite at all

Fwiw I don't think the bobby lopez or Monte videos have much to do with what MM is teaching. They seem to kind of say the opposite. Not going to get into who is right or wrong, but I'm not sure it's fair to MM to post videos of other instructors and say "yeh this is just like what MM teaches".

Fair enough I wouldn't say exact opposite either, and I didn't in my post. I just don't think it is that close to what MM is teaching and does a disservice to MM when people just randomly say "this video is explains what Mike is teaching". There are plenty of MM videos out that that clearly show what he is teaching, I have no idea if he'd endorse the other videos or not.

Fair enough I wouldn't say exact opposite either, and I didn't in my post. I just don't think it is that close to what MM is teaching and does a disservice to MM when people just randomly say "this video is explains what Mike is teaching". There are plenty of MM videos out that that clearly show what he is teaching, I have no idea if he'd endorse the other videos or not.

I get what you are saying but GG for instance would be the opposite for me, as a broadchurch I think MM, Lopez amd Lucsak share enough similarities that if I for example decided to follow a path I could watch all 3 and take parts that wouldn't give me a mis match

I get what you are saying but GG for instance would be the opposite for me, as a broadchurch I think MM, Lopez amd Lucsak share enough similarities that if I for example decided to follow a path I could watch all 3 and take parts that wouldn't give me a mis match

I agree that you could take parts from each and probably be fine. I just don't know how I feel about generally people posting other instructors videos in an MM thread and saying he teaches this too. I think it has the possibility of misleading people and I just don't think anyone knows if MM would agree with the vids or not. Now, if someone had seen him and MM told them "yeh this is another way of looking at it" that's one thing, but I just don't like to speculate on whether other teachers' videos are what MM teaches.

I agree that you could take parts from each and probably be fine. I just don't know how I feel about generally people posting other instructors videos in an MM thread and saying he teaches this too. I think it has the possibility of misleading people and I just don't think anyone knows if MM would agree with the vids or not. Now, if someone had seen him and MM told them "yeh this is another way of looking at it" that's one thing, but I just don't like to speculate on whether other teachers' videos are what MM teaches.

Fair play

Obviously you didn't read my post

The one where you said "I think anyone struggling to learn MM's method needs to know this and apply it accordingly"? As I said, I don't know if MM would agree with this statement or not. I actually think he'd disagree with the Monte video tbh. But that's besides the point, the point is we have no idea whether MM would agree with your statement about the Monte vid.

The one where you said "I think anyone struggling to learn MM's method needs to know this and apply it accordingly"? As I said, I don't know if MM would agree with this statement or not. I actually think he'd disagree with the Monte video tbh. But that's besides the point, the point is we have no idea whether MM would agree with your statement about the Monte vid.

When I post, I don't take into consideration whether a particular teacher is going to agree with it or not. IMO Malaska's method won't work for everyone and Monte's video explains why.

I also like to find connections and common ground between teaching methods to piece everything together. Why begrudge anyone who is trying to connect the dots for themselves? I applaud people who can bring forward a different perspective from another teacher that might further explain something that MM is teaching. Something might not click fully until you hear it a different way.

I also like to find connections and common ground between teaching methods to piece everything together. Why begrudge anyone who is trying to connect the dots for themselves? I applaud people who can bring forward a different perspective from another teacher that might further explain something that MM is teaching. Something might not click fully until you hear it a different way.

Common ground ? Lol. Not on golfwrx. It usually ends up with teacher x vs teacher y. Common ground is when you present different teachers who share similar ideologies. I cant see the point in bringing up the likes of GG

Not begrudging anyone, just think like with the Bobby Lopez video, it's not consistent with MM imo and doesn't explain what he teaches. I'm fine with someone connecting the dots, I just didnt think the video explained what MM teaches well at all and don't think it's fair to MM to represent the video as such. If it were posed as a question, like "is this similar to MM?", I think it'd be a lot more conducive to discussion.

Not begrudging anyone, just think like with the Bobby Lopez video, it's not consistent with MM imo and doesn't explain what he teaches. I'm fine with someone connecting the dots, I just didnt think the video explained what MM teaches well at all and don't think it's fair to MM to represent the video as such. If it were posed as a question, like "is this similar to MM?", I think it'd be a lot more conducive to discussion.

Yeah I agree. Or maybe if you say "here's this aspect of teacher X that I think helps explain MM in a different way" could be more conductive to good discussion. Like the guy that posted Monte's how the hands works video I think does a great job of showing how the left arm does what MM says to do with a detail that MM doesn't go into. He focuses on the club head, not the movement of the arm. So it's a different way of doing the same thing.

This move really grooved my impact combined with his momentum swing video. He doesn't really like lag but I take the steeper drop feeling as lag and using the momentum to swoosh it after the ball. In fact at times I could purposely lag it more for more distance, but it's probably just utilizing momentum more efficiently. I also combined the club in front of me with hitting on the inside of the ball, which prevents the OTT move that some people who are misunderstanding his move are doing. I never did OTT with this drill or move. With that said this is definitely not for people struggling with OTT/ casting of the club. It's probably not recommended to work on multiple things like I did at once, but it worked for me LOL.

Now the downside for me was that I actually was too inside out (has been a long time problem for me) although the ball striking was solid and I was getting good consistency and distance I felt I was wrapping my arms around my body too much. Saw by chance Waldron's arm illusion and that helped me straighten things out but that's for another thread.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Actually, I am a notorious caster of the club and this swing has helped me. Before I would attempt to square the club face with my casting and using my right hand and flipping it. Now I square the face by a rotation of my left arm and my right hand has to do a lot less - definitely not flipping the face closed like I used to. (Or less of it anyway). It has also helped with a slight chicken wing action I used to have as well. Can't chicken wing it if your left arm has rotated correctly.

Mike's instruction is incredible. Between the free videos on Youtube and diligent practice, I got my handicap down to 4.1 at it's lowest point this summer and now I am at a 4.7. This is after a long layoff and basically sporadic golf (less than 5 rounds per year) for the last several years. This is without knowing how to shape shots whatsoever. Just unleash the power of the right arm, pound it off the tee, then hit it to the green, take my two putts and get out of there. Just joined his website though and it is an incredible deal. Step by step instruction and it is dirt cheap in my opinion. He is almost giving it away if you ask me.

Here is the key for me. Thinking of body movements and P this and P that never ever made sense to me because I played tennis at a high level and I would never have ever thought about that kind of stuff (one piece takeaway, shift the hip, then rotate the torso, blah, blah, blah). My son plays football and basketball at a pretty high level, (his football coach is a 2 time Superbowl Champion), and that "shifting the hip" type of stuff never enters the conversation when he is giving his instruction. Learning how to use the body correctly by focusing on how you want to direct force seems to cause all of the body movements to happen. In other words, I am focusing on athletic moves instead of some conjured piece by piece approach focused on individual body movements.

Played yesterday with my son and we got through 14 holes before we had to takeoff for my son's basketball game and I was sitting at 2 over for 14 holes. Not bad considering I haven't played in about 2 to 3 weeks (I was scrambling to get a house remodel done before Christmas). Btw, I am a pretty strong guy and my body is not your prototype golf build, but it still amazes me how easy it is to create gobs of power with Mike's approach. His stuff is the real deal in my opinion...and once you get it conceptually, you won't believe how easy golf can become freeing you to actually focus on taking apart the golf course rather than thinking golf swing all the time.

Went with MM's "feel" yesterday for a round and hit 8/14 fairways with the driver and shot 99 (was hovering in low/mid 100s as of the last 10 rounds). My driving is generally poor, so finding 8 fairways was very helpful! Where this "feel" helped me the most was ensuring my left hip had a small bump + continual rotation, otherwise I'd fall onto my toes.

With very little practice over the last three weeks, taking these feelings/thoughts out nearly "cold" was enough for me to give it a few more buckets of practice in the coming weeks.

I wish he would do a low handicap series. I can strike the ball fantastically using his method more maybe a week then it goes straight to hell...crazy hooks. He needs to explain how to correct over rotation of the left arm. Some of his videos he says to lead with the heel not the toe but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I'm going to be Phoenix the 2nd week of Jan. I love just learning new methods..I just don't know if it is worth $300 for a hour