Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

This is exactly what he has yet what I haven't seen addressed to the fullest. The way I have understood it is that your body should respond to what the club is doing. Two people's views are exact opposite. I've tried both more body rotation and less body rotation neither seemed to correct the hook problem. That is why I'm contemplating a visit just because I hate mysteries.

Also, we have the whole feel vs. real thing going on. What I may feel as a lack of body rotation might still be early to you and what you are used to compared to your starting point. Everyone is different and internalizes things differently. We only have intents relative to some unique starting point that we all have.

I feel like he has addressed it in a few videos. Most recently the be better video. Club head turns the corner with momentum moving the way you want it then you turn through. I think he called it the flat spot or something like that.

Certainly if you turn early with this its disaster. But if you don't turn once the momentum is moving where you want it, your body is in the way.

Monte, Dan... Please tell me the swing works this way, because it makes a TON of of sense in my mind.

Mike explains that one needs to actually try to stand the shaft UP to start the downswing. In fact, if you watch most of his videos, it's about 1 of the only things he teaches so he must feel pretty strongly about this. And for those willing to discount it too quickly - I believe he worked with Jack at 1 time and currently works with a few LPGA players... Anyway this is the OPPOSITE of laying the club down and shallowing out (something everyone is fascinated with at the moment). Is this another "illusion" the golf swing plays on us?

Just want to repeat something I said earlier in this discussion because this thread is long and I think what I said is worth repeating. Mike actually answered one of my emails which asked him about the feeling one should be experiencing if swinging correctly. He said it feels like you're coming over the top but from the inside. At first I was quite puzzled by this as he seems to be saying contradictory things---swinging over the top usually means you're going to come outside in with your swing.

For me to get into the Malaska positions on the takeaway it felt like I was taking the club back to the outside and not the inside or straight. That "feeling" was not accurate in reality. VIdeo showed that when I "felt" I was taking it away outside I was really taking it away straight back. Then I'd get hung up as I just could not make a good turn once the club was taken away straight back. Not sure why but I felt like I had to lift it up at some point. Easy to see the crap that followed that kind of swing. Muy mal.

But, and here's the good part, when I forced my upper body to turn so my lead shoulder was under my chin I got the feeling that Malaska was describing. The straight away takeaway---when you've taken it back to the inside for decades--feels like you're going to go over the top as you turn your upper body to get that lead shoulder under your chin. It produces extremely target accurate results. Hope it works for you.

I also like to find connections and common ground between teaching methods to piece everything together. Why begrudge anyone who is trying to connect the dots for themselves? I applaud people who can bring forward a different perspective from another teacher that might further explain something that MM is teaching. Something might not click fully until you hear it a different way.

Like you, I find Mike's videos often have a lot of common ground with many other well known instructors.

For whatever reason, I find his explanations to be clearer and help explain why certain things have worked and stopped working for me over time.

Monte, Dan... Please tell me the swing works this way, because it makes a TON of of sense in my mind.

Mike explains that one needs to actually try to stand the shaft UP to start the downswing. In fact, if you watch most of his videos, it's about 1 of the only things he teaches so he must feel pretty strongly about this. And for those willing to discount it too quickly - I believe he worked with Jack at 1 time and currently works with a few LPGA players... Anyway this is the OPPOSITE of laying the club down and shallowing out (something everyone is fascinated with at the moment). Is this another "illusion" the golf swing plays on us?

Just want to repeat something I said earlier in this discussion because this thread is long and I think what I said is worth repeating. Mike actually answered one of my emails which asked him about the feeling one should be experiencing if swinging correctly. He said it feels like you're coming over the top but from the inside. At first I was quite puzzled by this as he seems to be saying contradictory things---swinging over the top usually means you're going to come outside in with your swing.

For me to get into the Malaska positions on the takeaway it felt like I was taking the club back to the outside and not the inside or straight. That "feeling" was not accurate in reality. VIdeo showed that when I "felt" I was taking it away outside I was really taking it away straight back. Then I'd get hung up as I just could not make a good turn once the club was taken away straight back. Not sure why but I felt like I had to lift it up at some point. Easy to see the crap that followed that kind of swing. Muy mal.

But, and here's the good part, when I forced my upper body to turn so my lead shoulder was under my chin I got the feeling that Malaska was describing. The straight away takeaway---when you've taken it back to the inside for decades--feels like you're going to go over the top as you turn your upper body to get that lead shoulder under your chin. It produces extremely target accurate results. Hope it works for you.

I'll post this again as I think is really an eye opener for those of us that have any issues getting to a good position through the backswing.

I also like to find connections and common ground between teaching methods to piece everything together. Why begrudge anyone who is trying to connect the dots for themselves? I applaud people who can bring forward a different perspective from another teacher that might further explain something that MM is teaching. Something might not click fully until you hear it a different way.

Like you, I find Mike's videos often have a lot of common ground with many other well known instructors.

For whatever reason, I find his explanations to be clearer and help explain why certain things have worked and stopped working for me over time.

I agree wholeheartedly (FWIW).

"Axe"? "Momentum"? See Pete Cowen. "Arms"? See Tony Luczak. Now I'm not attempting to trivialize MM's technique or claiming it's nothing new, I've always admired his method and teaching style, just pointing out that there are really few "new jokes".

The issue, at least for me, is that you can't focus on just one piece of MM's teachings unless that happens to be the only piece you're missing. For example, none of this "tip it and rip it" or "lead with the heel" or "rotate forearm" is going to do anything if the head doesn't come in square to the ball. So when I try out the MM downswing, etc. and still get lousy results I find it is most likely because my path and face angle are horribly wrong. So I need to look at MM's "face control" videos, and in fact I find Luczak does a better job (again, for me) with that aspect of the swing. So really, it's hard to study MM (or anyone, really) partially and make an accurate judgment of how the technique works for you.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

I agree wholeheartedly (FWIW).

"Axe"? "Momentum"? See Pete Cowen. "Arms"? See Tony Luczak. Now I'm not attempting to trivialize MM's technique or claiming it's nothing new, I've always admired his method and teaching style, just pointing out that there are really few "new jokes".

The issue, at least for me, is that you can't focus on just one piece of MM's teachings unless that happens to be the only piece you're missing. For example, none of this "tip it and rip it" or "lead with the heel" or "rotate forearm" is going to do anything if the head doesn't come in square to the ball. So when I try out the MM downswing, etc. and still get lousy results I find it is most likely because my path and face angle are horribly wrong. So I need to look at MM's "face control" videos, and in fact I find Luczak does a better job (again, for me) with that aspect of the swing. So really, it's hard to study MM (or anyone, really) partially and make an accurate judgment of how the technique works for you.

MM seems to be covering the part a lot of instructors now days seem to have put less importance on "positive beta torque or Tumbling". If all you do is massively shallow from the top all the way down and never try to steepen the shaft, it's going to end in a bad way.

I found this video to be pretty informative for me.

Around 7:50 they start to talk and beta torque. This topic has come up here before but I never heard or remember anyone saying that you need to start applying positive beta torque when the left arm is parallel to the ground. I know when I tried to implement the MM "tipping the shaft" I applied it from the start of the downswing. I now know that was a mistake and I bet I'm not the only one that made it. This video also told why my "split grip" practice was awful..I pulled the handle continuously and never got my right hand on top of the shaft.

If you read Manzella's site about the topic they state that if don't have negative beta first (underplane) you can't get good results from positive beta torque.

All of this shows me how good some instructors are being that they can get your body to move in a way that your body applies the correct torque without you having to think about the them or the timing of them.

I'll post this again as I think is really an eye opener for those of us that have any issues getting to a good position through the backswing.

Hmmm, ok so what's your take from this video vis a vis what I posted? Is Waldron saying the same thing as I was? That what feels like taking the club to the outside on the takeaway is really the right way to take it away?

It looks like Waldron is recommending a takeaway (pushing the club 4-8" away from the body as the body turns) just for emphasis. He can't really mean pushing the handle of the club 4-8 inches away---directly perpendicular to the target line--as you turn your body and swing?

Hmmm, ok so what's your take from this video vis a vis what I posted? Is Waldron saying the same thing as I was? That what feels like taking the club to the outside on the takeaway is really the right way to take it away?

It looks like Waldron is recommending a takeaway (pushing the club 4-8" away from the body as the body turns) just for emphasis. He can't really mean pushing the handle of the club 4-8 inches away---directly perpendicular to the target line--as you turn your body and swing?

Just look at the still before the video is played and it is clear as day what he has done with his arms and hands, there is no need for complications, feels or talk of target lines

NOT perpendicular to the target line, in fact, there is no fixed location in space that your arms are pushing out towards, because they are pushing out that tiny bit at the same time as your Pivot. So it is a moving pushaway. The direction is a 45 angle relative to your chest as your chest rotates.

Result is a perfectly on plane takeaway, ie shaft plane moves in it's "slot" established at Setup until hands are about hip height.

Well - as long your wrist part is doing it's contribution correctly since the wrist action is also an important piece of the puzzle.

I think that Waldron and Malska are saying very similar things. I just thought that it would help to have a visual illustration of something that can be difficult to understand. I believe that in the vid. Waldron says a small "45 deg" push away. Not 90 deg to the line. The 45 deg push away combined with the body turn and the feeling of pushing away with the trail arm yields a backswing that is perfectly on plane. For me the video makes clearer something that is hard for me to see in my minds eye.

I think that Waldron and Malska are saying very similar things. I just thought that it would help to have a visual illustration of something that can be difficult to understand. I believe that in the vid. Waldron says a small "45 deg" push away. Not 90 deg to the line. The 45 deg push away combined with the body turn and the feeling of pushing away with the trail arm yields a backswing that is perfectly on plane. For me the video makes clearer something that is hard for me to see in my minds eye.

Yes - it is indeed hard to see in your mind's eye, precisely because of the literal optical illusion the ASI creates.

My take on this issue is simply this: if your backswing is correct to start with, you never need to do ANYTHING to "get the club more in front of you" on the Transition since it was never "behind you" in the first place.

More than one way to be stuck, for sure. Why I said it's important to make a sound backswing in the first place.

Lead arm to chest angle max of 70 degrees with driver, or even less with shorter clubs, and 75-90 degree right arm angle, and flat left wrist (not hinged too much) blended with a proper Pivot means not possible to be stuck.

Always possible to be "late" at impact though - even from a perfect Top of backswing position.

The rule in golf instruction is you fix the very first segment of the swing where the breakdown happens.

Working on later segments is a waste of time.

What if you define behind you like shown in this video?

Not quite sure what you are getting at but his demonstration of being behind, or stuck, to me, is the classic definition. You will note that the throwing motion he describes results in the "over the top from the inside" that Malaska talks about. Having said that, I think that motion adds an unnecessary manipulation that is only needed if the backswing you have puts you in a less than optimal position. Better in my mind to try and reach a postion where the club is not behind.

Not quite sure what you are getting at but his demonstration of being behind, or stuck, to me, is the classic definition. You will note that the throwing motion he describes results in the "over the top from the inside" that Malaska talks about. Having said that, I think that motion adds an unnecessary manipulation that is only needed if the backswing you have puts you in a less than optimal position. Better in my mind to try and reach a postion where the club is not behind.

To me it's not the backswing position, although that is possible, it's the transitional move that is the most likely way to get stuck. I believe this video shows that.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

To me it's not the backswing position, although that is possible, it's the transitional move that is the most likely way to get stuck. I believe this video shows that.

Yes, very possible to also become stuck on Transition - usually a flaw of more advanced players. Mid to high handicaps, far more common to be stuck on backswing.

Having a good Triangle with proper arm pressures makes the inertial way of becoming stuck, ie arms moving backwards into the body too much in Transition, much less likely. If arms are too "soft" then lagpressure will make them become stuck.

Good discussion. Another suggestion: use your phone or whatever to video your swing from the side not down the line. And then, even though few of us have the software to juxtapose frame by frame our swings vs. touring professionals, pull up a youtube video of the tour player who best fits your physical characteristics and see where their club path is on their backswing vs. yours. I'm a lower handicap player (Jim Waldron says a player like me is more likely than a mid handicapper to get stuck behind in the transition and not the takeaway) but every time my ball striking starts to suffer i make that comparison on the takeaway.

What I see for me, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts would hold for many, is that my club path goes inside much more quickly than the touring pros. Once I get that club path a bit less inside good things start to happen. I n e v e r try to match frame for frame with the touring pros on the takeaway because my age, flexibility and athleticism don't match up. I encourage you to do the same and not try to match theirs in this way. For example when I do achieve their takeaway, matching almost frame by frame, my turn just does not follow suit and all heck breaks loose. (It's the same big idea as this WITB--what's in the bag---as though it really matters to us average golfers what the touring pros' club specs are. News flash---not so much unless you have the same body type, swing speed, swing mechanics and consistency.)

Actually, I believe that in the video he even states that the club is in a stuck position with the trail arm behind the club at the top of his demo backswing. He then goes on to give a compensating move for those that routinely play from that position. But I agree that it is certainly possible to get the club to far behind in the downswning from even a perfect backswing position. It is just that it much easier to reach a good impact position if the club is not lagging behind on the downswing and then having to make a compensating move.

If you do things right you never can get stuck.

this just shows how much guesswork modern theory has caused.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

There is a big difference between being "stuck" and being "late". You can be "unstuck" at the Top and stillbe "late" at impact, due to a pivot thrust that starts too late or is moving too slowly, or a lever angles Release that starts to late or is moving too slowly.

If the clubhead is too far behind the right arm, as he says in the video, then it can only be caused by wrists that have hinged backwards (not c0cking dimension) too much. So - rather than the "fix" being a wrist throw - which I would personally never, ever recommend in my teaching practice, especially for average golfers who are very likely already suffering from that flaw - the fix is to learn proper wrist hinge mechanics on the backswing.

Being stuck is actually much more about the arms lagging behind and into the body too much so that on the forward swing, in order to be "on time" at impact, you will be forced to make a difficult to learn, execute and time compensatory motion like throwing the upper arms off the chest (good luck making solid contact consistently with that move!), or excessive forearm roll to help square the face, or super fast Pivot to help swing the clubhead arc around so that are not late, or the wrist throw move he is showing in the video.

In the history of golf instruction, fixing a flaw by creating another flaw, has a very poor track record.

The David Duvall special on the golf channel showed him using a very similar move to what is ideal to Malaska from the top of the swing. Duvall advocates a lot of turn at the end to keep the left side of the course out. Emphasized being patient and getting the club out in front before engaging the turn.

The David Duvall special on the golf channel showed him using a very similar move to what is ideal to Malaska from the top of the swing. Duvall advocates a lot of turn at the end to keep the left side of the course out. Emphasized being patient and getting the club out in front before engaging the turn.

sounds interesting, got a link?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

sounds interesting, got a link?

Not sure there is a video link, but the episode is set to air again (from the website)

Schedule:

Live Extra

TV

Date & Time:

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 09:30 to 10:00

TV Series:

GOLF CHANNEL ACADEMY

I saved that Duval special and thought it was great. Different enough and enjoyed listening to him describe feelings in his swing. Especially the segment about his son losing his swing and making him hit flop shots to relate to his driver swing. Feel like that was me this summer.

I've been watching several of the Malaska videos online as well. I've always fought with an over the top/outside-in/dragging the club/power move in my swing. Just something that shows up when I'm swinging bad. Seems like the fundamentals he talks about can work to fix this issue.

Mike was in SD last summer and I was able to see him in person talking to a small group. I find him and his methods to be intuitive and allow me to find some feelings in my swing I haven't been able to through other moves/teaching methods that try and fix this swing fault. I'm no student of his and just trying work on my own to break a bad habit that stuck with me most of last season...we'll see what comes of that.