Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

This game of golf is mad. I am coming to the conclusion that doing drills or slow motion swings copying what you are trying to do is useless

Feel isn't real... that guy doesn't stand the club up in his swing at the ball. He may think he does, just like he practiced doing in his rehearsal swings, but he doesn't.

At a Monte Clinic I would have bet that my swing path was -8 based on what I "rehearsed" and "intended".... but it was still from inside out, just not nearly as much as before Monte coached me.

This game of golf is mad. I am coming to the conclusion that doing drills or slow motion swings copying what you are trying to do is useless

Feel isn't real... that guy doesn't stand the club up in his swing at the ball. He may think he does, just like he practiced doing in his rehearsal swings, but he doesn't.

At a Monte Clinic I would have bet that my swing path was -8 based on what I "rehearsed" and "intended".... but it was still from inside out, just not nearly as much as before Monte coached me.

That's what I mean if you don't physically do what you are practicing then why do slow motion swings. Why do drills trying to do correct things.

Whether it's real or not, feel is important. If you're used to doing x you have to over exaggerate y to get closer to where you want it to be. Everyone here knows they've made swings that felt 180° and when seen on video it was a very small change. Shoot for the stars so you can get to the moon.

In search of solid contact...

Whether it's real or not, feel is important. If you're used to doing x you have to over exaggerate y to get closer to where you want it to be. Everyone here knows they've made swings that felt 180° and when seen on video it was a very small change. Shoot for the stars so you can get to the moon.

Standing the club up seems like such an easy task though that I find it hard to believe that if I tried it I wouldn't just stand the club up. Also with exaggeration drills as you edge closer and closer to the correct point surely you will go past it.

That's what I mean if you don't physically do what you are practicing then why do slow motion swings. Why do drills trying to do correct things.

Do the right things for you ..... that's what you need help identifying..... you may not battle "getting stuck" so this drill wouldn't benefit you at all. You may have a totally different issue that requires attention.

Nice video. This is very similar to Hardy's RIT release.

I agree especially with how Hardy taught the One Plane Release in the past. It was just like Mikes move. He always talked about playing from more laid off at the top and moving the handle quickly down onto the inner circle. Some have called it “stand up the shaft” or “tumble” the shaft. His new stuff on the RIT has new (to me) emphasis on what the right wrist feels in a throwing motion going from dorsiflexion to palmar flexion in a hinge/slap. As someone who learned to play from across the line at the top, this is a hard change for me. Playing from a laid off position at the top is not a feel that I have ever had but makes sense if you are too in to out and low to high in your swing and end up with the handle high at impact.

Posting again this Jeff Ritter (a Hardy style OP teacher) video which I find the same as Mikes move but with some added explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/6CQUNgNVCZg

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

This "feel" of throwing the club is great. Really gets me to release the club better. Also what seems to help me is the "feel" of moving the club away from the target at the top of the backswing instead of pulling the club down. It's been in other videos and lessons, but this Golf Digest article explains it.

Standing the club up seems like such an easy task though that I find it hard to believe that if I tried it I wouldn't just stand the club up. Also with exaggeration drills as you edge closer and closer to the correct point surely you will go past it.

If you are a player with the opposite issue where, as he demonstrated, the weight of the club makes the head drop them you are stuck and inside out handle dragging flipping. Ask me how I know :( I'm sure you noticed the guy getting the lesson, and Malaska for that matter, practiced the "feel" but it does not do that in the swing. Still feels like it though at speed.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You wouldn't stand it up literally because if you have a shred of athletic ability you're still going to find the golf ball.

I paid EA Tischler $250/hour so he could tell me to think of the golf ball as a tomato and smash it, then when on the course have me set up in the fairway and then in my mind do everything I could to hit it in the trees on the right only to watch me start hitting the ball in the fairway.... I say this because it sounds like a hacker could tell you this and it's coming from one of the best teachers in the game. It was likely the best golf money I ever spent.

Sometimes, maybe even more than just sometimes, simple feelings and thoughts albeit completely over exaggerated are the best tools.

One thing that he preaches which is not a feel or an over exaggeration is the hands working inside the ball. The hands have to work inside and what he is preaching is that by nature we tend to yank the handle out towards the ball and then have to make corrections.

In search of solid contact...

Thanks guys the answers were kind of what I already knew but needed confirmation. My head is pretty messed up at the moment I have watched too many you tube videos.

I have played 3 rounds this year and hit the ball well mainly scoring low 80's but should have got in the 70's as my chipping and putting are rusty after the winter. Decided to stick with the tony lucsak method all season however I got the wife to video my swing at home at the weekend and was quite annoyed by how bad it looks.

I tried that what i call trying to get the clubhead in front of the hands by flipping move last year after problems squaring the club face with my driver. It worked well but was hard to get down and the distance was very poor. The path of the club felt amazing with a low horizontal arc going towards the ball. It actually felt completely different to anything I have ever done. On the good ones I knew it was right before I even hit the ball. Straight with a proper trajectory.

I'm close to playing to single figures and manage to do it with loads of different crappy swings. I just feel if I get a good swing going I will hit 70's every time I play. I have a driving range session on Friday and a game on Tuesday. When I stand over the ball I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Thanks guys the answers were kind of what I already knew but needed confirmation. My head is pretty messed up at the moment I have watched too many you tube videos.

I have played 3 rounds this year and hit the ball well mainly scoring low 80's but should have got in the 70's as my chipping and putting are rusty after the winter. Decided to stick with the tony lucsak method all season however I got the wife to video my swing at home at the weekend and was quite annoyed by how bad it looks.

I tried that what i call trying to get the clubhead in front of the hands by flipping move last year after problems squaring the club face with my driver. It worked well but was hard to get down and the distance was very poor. The path of the club felt amazing with a low horizontal arc going towards the ball. It actually felt completely different to anything I have ever done. On the good ones I knew it was right before I even hit the ball. Straight with a proper trajectory.

I'm close to playing to single figures and manage to do it with loads of different crappy swings. I just feel if I get a good swing going I will hit 70's every time I play. I have a driving range session on Friday and a game on Tuesday. When I stand over the ball I have no idea what I'm going to do.

To me, this is just typical of youtube/golfwrx as a whole. There is just so much information, so much of it is great, so much of it crap, that it is so easy to get damned confused. Unless you understand your golf swing you haven't a hope in hell of improving.

If you can afford it go and see a pro, if you are in Manchester go and see Rick Shiels or Peter Finch, or any of the guys at Trafford golf center. It'll cost you 25 quid. Tell them what you want to do and they will help far more than taking videos from youtube (sorry...but I've been there),I realised this a couple of years ago. I understand my flaws (too flat, and hit too far from the inside) and this method from Mike helps me get into a better position coming down - but I only know that from seeing a pro.

Scotee that is a really good video with a great explanation. I just adjusted the link so that the video is visible.

[media=]

[/media]

His explanation in the beginning of the type of player that hits pushes and hooks as a result of higher hands at impact is exactly my issue. What he is teaching in this video seems very similar to Malaska's teaching, just delivered in a different way.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Have you thought of seeing Dan Whittaker. You can always check out his Youtube videos first to see if you like his approach.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Scotee that is a really good video with a great explanation. I just adjusted the link so that the video is visible.

[media=]

[/media]

His explanation in the beginning of the type of player that hits pushes and hooks as a result of higher hands at impact is exactly my issue. What he is teaching in this video seems very similar to Malaska's teaching, just delivered in a different way.

I am now pretty much convinced that in order to make a change towards a better swing, feel must be quite different from the bio-mechanical reality in order to actually move to the bio-mechanical reality. Sounds weird if I read it back but this is how it seems to work for me.

I posted that Ritter video last year in another thread regarding laying the club off at the top. It's a great video and was a real turning point for me from going "well Malaska method seems to work but I don't really know why" to "ok, now I understand why this works for me"

Have you thought of seeing Dan Whittaker. You can always check out his Youtube videos first to see if you like his approach.

Almost booked a lesson with him last year. It's looking like the best solution

To me, this is just typical of youtube/golfwrx as a whole. There is just so much information, so much of it is great, so much of it crap, that it is so easy to get damned confused. Unless you understand your golf swing you haven't a hope in hell of improving.

If you can afford it go and see a pro, if you are in Manchester go and see Rick Shiels or Peter Finch, or any of the guys at Trafford golf center. It'll cost you 25 quid. Tell them what you want to do and they will help far more than taking videos from youtube (sorry...but I've been there),I realised this a couple of years ago. I understand my flaws (too flat, and hit too far from the inside) and this method from Mike helps me get into a better position coming down - but I only know that from seeing a pro.

Haven't they moved from the Trafford centre. It seems once the you tube channels start and they become popular the rates start to rise

One thing that he preaches which is not a feel or an over exaggeration is the hands working inside the ball. The hands have to work inside and what he is preaching is that by nature we tend to yank the handle out towards the ball and then have to make corrections.

So true.

[media=]

[/media]

Great video. I downloaded it to my iphone and computer I like it so much :) Thanks.

I am now pretty much convinced that in order to make a change towards a better swing, feel must be quite different from the bio-mechanical reality in order to actually move to the bio-mechanical reality. Sounds weird if I read it back but this is how it seems to work for me.

Do you have an example ?

Do it ! His setup looks amazing.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

So true.

[media=]

[/media]

Great video. I downloaded it to my iphone and computer I like it so much :) Thanks.

Do you have an example ?

It is. I've had 7 lessons so far and cannot recommend him enough.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

So true.

[media=]

[/media]

Do you have an example ?

Examples:

Throw away the lag to create lag;

Hit up on the ball to create a shallow downward strike;

Swing to the left to hit it straight;

Flip from the top to create forward shaft lean and a flat left wrist at impact.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was doing my swing video I noticed my hands behind my trail leg at p6 and the shaft was just below parallel. So I decided to do nothing else but get my hands on the lead leg with hinge and keep the club parallel.It looked the same as before madness. But then again I noticed my legs moving about like elvis so for a laugh did the GG squat. That didn't look the same it looked like I was doing the GG pivot or at least attempting it.

But when I see GG students doing the pivot in drills their proper swings don't look like their doing it.

Work that one out.

feel must be quite different from the bio-mechanical reality in order to actually move to the bio-mechanical reality. Sounds weird if I read it back but this is how it seems to work for me.

Examples:

>>> Good examples. It does seem true that golf is a "Game of Opposites".

I'll add ... Hit it longer by Swinging Shorter.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

When I was doing my swing video I noticed my hands behind my trail leg at p6 and the shaft was just below parallel.

Adding a good P6 is like getting rid of EE.

You can't add or subtract things.

You don't EE when you've shallowed the club earlier.

You earn a good P6. You can't add it.

Enjoy the journey.

feel must be quite different from the bio-mechanical reality in order to actually move to the bio-mechanical reality. Sounds weird if I read it back but this is how it seems to work for me.

Examples:

>>> Good examples. It does seem true that golf is a "Game of Opposites".

I'll add ... Hit it longer by Swinging Shorter.

Those make some sort of sense to me though.

I think it's interesting how the feels that people use very often don't mirror what's happening in the swing.

I know a lot of people ask how what mike teaches fits with the gg swing stuff and thought I'd add this video which seems to be the best explanation yet of how they are both different ways of shallowing the club

Wow. Checking back in on this thread, I would have thought it would have been torn apart by now. I had actually been watching Mike's videos for months and figured someone at sometime would have brought it up before me. Hence why I really wanted Dan and/or Montes opinion. Glad to see Mike's daughter chime in as well. I emailed Mike a few days ago to allow him an opportunity to participate in the conversation, so I'm happy they took me up on it.

Personally, this move (or tumble as maybe it's called) has been a key in my improvement this summer. Unlike a swing change, this feels more like a missing piece. A VERY important piece that I feel I've finally discovered after 2 decades of playing this game. At this point, as the saying goes, if it's wrong I don't think I wanna be right. Someone else had mentioned why instructors have been teaching "point the handle at the ball", "the hands move at the ball". Why the hell did I ever think that made sense? I've played baseball, tennis, hockey. My hands in those sports NEVER go directly at the ball/puck!?

I'm just glad it seems to be helping so many people. One word of caution though with this thought (as well as most things we do with our swings) - at some point, you will start to over do it or do it faster and you'll lose the feel altogether. What worked for me is what most of you are discovering. Your transition shallows the club. Take your time at the top and pour it on in the DS. This is not a move that starts the DS IMO.

Anyway, I'll continue to follow my thread and feel as though I'm the person that helped all of you become scratch golfers... (JK)! In all seriousness, I just hope this thread continues to grow and develop and we can keep peeling the layers away and helping each other.

Chris

I totally agree with the point of not starting this move at start.. Dropping of hands downward and close to the body should be the first part, and then the feeling of club out.. IMO