2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurments from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

CheethamTwistReleaseTwo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkSmqlWays

Now if Malaska means it feels like a twist starting at the top of the downswing, but in reality by the time 'that thought works itself into an action' where it actually twists by late impact , then that is another matter altogether. Then yes, it may match Cheetham's graphs above because it does take time for a thought to become an action.

I am not an expert on the Malaska move, but as far as I understand what MM says it is not a twisting of the shaft in the direction of the shaft in order to close the club face. The twist from the top is a steepening move of the shaft to get the hands closer to the body. Hank Haney showed me that move in person in1993. MM doesn't want any student to come over the top and has a video on the difference.

Actually I believe that this move is similar to what Bradley Hughes advocates. It is the tumble move mentioned in other videos. However these clips advocate to do it later. I would assume that the more laid off at the top the more aggressive this tumble or standing up of the shaft could be done. Remember how heavy the clubs have been in the earlier decades. Had some of those clubs in my hands from the 70s and 80s. Massive difference to recent models.

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurments from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

Now if Malaska means it feels like a twist starting at the top of the downswing, but in reality by the time 'that thought works itself into an action' where it actually twists by late impact , then that is another matter altogether. Then yes, it may match Cheetham's graphs above because it does take time for a thought to become an action.

Go to the 5:00 mark and listen to what he says about forearm rotation. I feel like he explains that he doesn't advocate "twisting."

Malaska's move might help those who have trouble squaring the clubface but it's not what most pros do in their golf swing . If you look at Mann's website he shows the data collected in Phil Cheethams handle twist velocity measurements from 94 professional golfers. There is virtually no twisting of the club shaft at the start of the downswing but it happens in 2 phases, very late in the downswing before impact. But look at what Malaska is saying in his video below . He is basically advocating a twist motion from the start of the downswing and that doesn't tally with Cheetham's graphs below.

Jeffy spews way more than he actually says. Might be why he is banned everywhere. I would suggest you watch the whole video that you posted and rewrite your post. Malaska says that is a feel to get you to the correct position-which he demonstrates. He does not say the exaggerated move is what you do. It is a way to get you to make the correct move.

At 0.58 he has rotated the students left forearm in the early downswing , so doesn't that mean he's twisted (rotated) the club shaft? That twist doesn't show up in Phil Cheetham's graphs for 94 professional golfers, therefore I am assuming they don't do it. But if it works for some people and they start striking the ball consistently (ie, not just a temporary fix that works for a time then breaks down) , then that's great too.

I know there is a video from Rose doing his preshot routine doing that move. I just can't seem to find it. Maybe Tiger with Butch (8 Majors and 33% wins) is good enough to prove Mike's point?

oh no, looks like this thread has been 'wrxd...paralysis by analysis

Yeah I think your right . If its a feel and not an actual move , then there is no way to validate the correctness of his advice or not. I think the proof will be those people who use this feel and whose ball striking have consistently improved (only time will tell).

oh no, looks like this thread has been 'wrxd...paralysis by analysis

Yeah I think your right . If its a feel and not an actual move , then there is no way to validate the correctness of his advice or not. I think the proof will be those people who use this feel and whose ball striking have consistently improved (only time will tell).

Yes. If Cheetham had a similar graph showing the amount and direction of force being applied at the grip in order to maintain zero twist velocity then we might be able to compare that graph to the Malaska intent. Just because no actual twist velocity occurs doesn't mean the player isn't "trying" to twist it.

It's a feel. It's a feel. This isnt hard. It's a feel.

Actually, it being just a feel is very confusing.

So he's saying it feels like turning left with a steering wheel, then demonstrates the isolated movement visually, then tells you don't actually do what you were visually demonstrated because it only "feels" like you're doing that but actually doing nothing like that?

Ok we won't use the F word to help you. That is, if you want clarification, but Zig Ziglar told me once that not everyone wants their problems solved.

You're shooting for the stars to get to the moon. The stars are farther out there than the moon which is why they look smaller.... So you shoot for the stars in hopes of actually reaching the moon. Like setting goals right? So..... you over exaggerate the move he's showing (hands in, clubhead out while keeping the head above the hands on the way down) so at speed you actually get your hands and club in a good position on the way down. If you watch the videos he'll explain how the head of the club gets heavier at higher speeds which means it wants to fall below your hands and behind you on the way down. Pull the hands out immediately and yank on the handle and it'll happen faster. He's trying to get you to instinctively keep your hands in and move down no matter how hard you swing instead of your hands moving out when you really feel the pressure.

Over exaggeration is not a hard concept. He is not the only instructor to use it. So in my best Herman Edwards cadence, "YOU SHOOT FOR THE STARS TO GET TO THE MOON".

• Like 1
In search of solid contact...

So if we interviewed those 94 professional golfers (in Phil Cheethams studies) and asked them if they felt they were doing the Malaska Move ,that they would say yes? And if they said they didn't would you then say they were wrong? That they were actually doing the Malaska 'feel' move without knowing it?

I suspect you'd get 94 different responses about what each player feels. This neither confirms or denies Malaska's teaching. Apparently it's much like what Jack Nicklaus was feeling during his swing. He seemed to have a decent career without your survey.

Malaska goes to some lengths to say, in nearly every teaching moment when he's discussing getting the momentum in front of you, that he agrees with the images of the club behind the hands at P6. What he disagrees with is how modern instruction goes about attempting to get students there.

I said it before in this very thread. Unconventional thoughts leading to a conventional swing.

And no, I don't subscribe to his site, use his method, see his acolytes or teach the method. His videos pop up on my YouTube feed and I enjoy watching them from time to time. It's pretty clear to me what he's teaching. Perhaps because at one point in my life another instructor espoused much the same philosophy, but was a much poorer communicator than Malaska. Or I didn't ask the right questions.

In any event, your not getting it doesn't make the man wrong even if some of his physics terminology is incorrect.

Can't seem to get this to embed using mobile. New video on what "stuck" really is. Hope this helps....

Take off the "s" on https

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I started playing around with this drill about a year ago. Really liked how it felt. Then, as most people do, I stopped, as I was enjoying a good spell of golf.

Fast forward to this season. I started off hitting the ball REALLY well. Then, all of a sudden.....SH@NKS!!! Had a tough go with this, despite trying all the anti-Sh drills and so on. Had a gorgeous golf trip to the interior of BC a few weeks ago and hitting hosel rockets into the rough on those mountain courses was not pretty. Was almost ready to step away for a bit. Played for the first time again yesterday after coming of a bad bout of some stomach bug, had no confidence going in. However, I did read this thread the night before, so I got to the course and hit balls at the range while practicing this for about 45 minutes.

Had a far better round that I could have imagined. One hosel rocket only, ball was below my feet and the lie was tight, otherwise overall much improved.

Now here is the question: both my regular golf buddy and I noticed that my shots had SIGNIFICANTLY more spin going into the greens. I usually don't put backspin on a ball, a dead stop is usually great for me. I had a lot of action and actually pulled two shots off the green. Any reason why this would be happening? Obviously my contact must be better, but this was a significant change. Played a Srixon XV, which has never done this for me before.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I think the intent of this feel is get the left arm off the chest and put the club in front of the body. The more I watch Malaska's and Monte's videos, the more I see similar movements explained differently. Monte even speaks of GG in a BBG video and talks about some instructors explaining the same movements differently and that the different explanations can communicate more effectively depending on the audience. In watching the Malaska move, it appears to me that's it's unpinning the left arm to sync with the pivot. He keeps the back to the target and lower body quiet until the arms are in front of the torso. Then it's a freewheel by pushing away from the ball and hitting from the inside. Hope this helps anyone trying this move.

I started playing around with this drill about a year ago. Really liked how it felt. Then, as most people do, I stopped, as I was enjoying a good spell of golf.

Fast forward to this season. I started off hitting the ball REALLY well. Then, all of a sudden.....SH@NKS!!! Had a tough go with this, despite trying all the anti-Sh drills and so on. Had a gorgeous golf trip to the interior of BC a few weeks ago and hitting hosel rockets into the rough on those mountain courses was not pretty. Was almost ready to step away for a bit. Played for the first time again yesterday after coming of a bad bout of some stomach bug, had no confidence going in. However, I did read this thread the night before, so I got to the course and hit balls at the range while practicing this for about 45 minutes.

Had a far better round that I could have imagined. One hosel rocket only, ball was below my feet and the lie was tight, otherwise overall much improved.

Now here is the question: both my regular golf buddy and I noticed that my shots had SIGNIFICANTLY more spin going into the greens. I usually don't put backspin on a ball, a dead stop is usually great for me. I had a lot of action and actually pulled two shots off the green. Any reason why this would be happening? Obviously my contact must be better, but this was a significant change. Played a Srixon XV, which has never done this for me before.

I found that hosel rockets occurred when I get too much forward/lateral movement on the DS. I have to focus on staying behind the ball into the strike, IMHO....

So if we interviewed those 94 professional golfers (in Phil Cheethams studies) and asked them if they felt they were doing the Malaska Move ,that they would say yes? And if they said they didn't would you then say they were wrong? That they were actually doing the Malaska 'feel' move without knowing it?

I suspect you'd get 94 different responses about what each player feels. This neither confirms or denies Malaska's teaching. Apparently it's much like what Jack Nicklaus was feeling during his swing. He seemed to have a decent career without your survey.

Feel of how the club move is the same.

cant be anything else.

what has happen is that people use theory (mental concepts) and add difference and then none can agree on the subject as it lacks definition.

so it goes from same feel of club moves to percived explanation depending on golf background and since the brain moves most of what we percive into autonomous habit whats left (percived feel) has little to do with whats done.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

I think the intent of this feel is get the left arm off the chest and put the club in front of the body. The more I watch Malaska's and Monte's videos, the more I see similar movements explained differently. Monte even speaks of GG in a BBG video and talks about some instructors explaining the same movements differently and that the different explanations can communicate more effectively depending on the audience. In watching the Malaska move, it appears to me that's it's unpinning the left arm to sync with the pivot. He keeps the back to the target and lower body quiet until the arms are in front of the torso. Then it's a freewheel by pushing away from the ball and hitting from the inside. Hope this helps anyone trying this move.

Does that move really move the left arm of the chest? The ccw rotation of the left arm moves hands closer to body. However, it seems to be important not to open the shoulders too soon (which would be a "pinning" move of left arm). GG and DD teaching seems to look like more (left arm) pinned to me.

Does that move really move the left arm of the chest? The ccw rotation of the left arm moves hands closer to body. However, it seems to be important not to open the shoulders too soon (which would be a "pinning" move of left arm). GG and DD teaching seems to look like more (left arm) pinned to me.

The last thing I think of when trying to keep hands in and clubhead move out is lead arm off the chest. I actually focus on my lead arm sliding down my chest as if it were connected to a rod that goes down to the base of my trail foot.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, this is very similar to what Jim Hardy teaches in the RIT release. I'm a huge fan of it and has led to my best extended play of golf ever. A very reliable move. However, I was having difficulty still with long irons. My pro put me on Trackman to get some numbers. Using the handle down, clubhead out method from the very top was leading to angle of attacks that were nearly double than ideal placing a great amount of spin on the ball. The path numbers were great...but the AOA numbers were not.

He's still advocating the same type of "handle in and clubhead out" type of release....only starting that move just above the belt line.

So it's kind of....shallow in transition...point the handle of the club at the ball in transition....and then start this move. Much better angle of attack numbers.

Any thoughts?

To me, this is very similar to what Jim Hardy teaches in the RIT release. I'm a huge fan of it and has led to my best extended play of golf ever. A very reliable move. However, I was having difficulty still with long irons. My pro put me on Trackman to get some numbers. Using the handle down, clubhead out method from the very top was leading to angle of attacks that were nearly double than ideal placing a great amount of spin on the ball. The path numbers were great...but the AOA numbers were not.

He's still advocating the same type of "handle in and clubhead out" type of release....only starting that move just above the belt line.

So it's kind of....shallow in transition...point the handle of the club at the ball in transition....and then start this move. Much better angle of attack numbers.

Any thoughts?

Yes it's a steepen late move. For longest time I keyed on on shallowing early and steepening late until you don't think about it anymore.

Most people are steepen early shallow late with early extension. And also have their hands and club all moving in the same direction with no opposing force.

Any thoughts?

Seems as if Hardy advocates keeping hands in and throwing the head out with his move. Malaska works on hands down and in and the head tips out. Both say hands in, clubhead out, but how they get the clubhead out is different.

I would not attribute the shanks from working on his move. If anything, this would get you more towards the toe with you being steeper. Now this is coming from someone who is usually stuck and too shallow so take that with a grain of salt.

If the hands start in and stay in you should not shank it.

The hands in clubhead out move is a natural athletic move. I have my son hit tennis balls into a net with a hockey stick then have him do the split grip drill with golf balls. No different than hitting a tennis ball with a racquet or hitting a baseball with a bat. Hands go in and the face of the racquet/barrel of the bat go out. Hint: The hockey stick drill will show you everything you need to know.

• 2 months later...

So i've been trying his over the top from the inside and I can't believe why more people aren't teaching this, it's so simple and the results are great. Did take me a while, to grasp how simple it actually is.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

So i've been trying his over the top from the inside and I can't believe why more people aren't teaching this, it's so simple and the results are great. Did take me a while, to grasp how simple it actually is.

What you discovered from Mike Malaska's teaching is something that is very important, but something that most instructors/teachers never cover with their students. It makes you wonder if maybe they don't even realize it is necessary.

If you want to research the [over-the-top from the inside] move further, it is called Beta β torque. Beta β torque is the action that purposely moves the club off-plane (outward) beginning around midway into the downswing. Without it you would completely miss the ball! Without enough of it you'll likely hit the ball with a glancing blow ... along with a lot of other troubling swing flaws. Beta β is used in conjunction with Gamma γ torque (twisting the shaft longitudinally) to square the clubface as well as Alpha α torque (uncocking in-plane). It also plays a big part in both feeling and sustaining lag deep into the downswing.

You may have heard Tiger Woods (and others) talk about 'turning it down'. What they are referring to is a combination of using both Beta and Gamma torque - moving (sometimes called 'tumbling') the shaft off-plane [or over-the-top] along with twisting the shaft about its axis to square the clubface. These two torques at the same time is what helps provide the raised/arched wrist leading at impact, which is critical to good ball striking in so many ways. To get the seemingly effortless power, the tour players aren't just relying on centrifugal force to sling the club through impact on a single plane. They are actively torquing -- or twisting -- the club in three specific ways during the downswing to help produce those high speeds.

Strengthen that lead wrist (forearm & hand) and you'll be golden using Beta β and Gamma γ torque to strike the ball like you can only dream of doing.

I just recently posted to another thread about this very topic. Click ► http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry16274172

Golf Digest article about the topic ► 3 Moves To Smash It

Now you know what is being done by the tour players that 99% of amateurs don't even know to do.

Swing-Sequence.jpg

golf_swing_beta_gamma_torque.jpg

golf_hogan_torquing.jpg

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

What you discovered from Mike Malaska's teaching is something that is very important, but something that most instructors/teachers never cover with their students. It makes you wonder if maybe they don't even realize it is necessary.

If you want to research the [over-the-top from the inside] move further, it is called Beta β torque. Beta β torque is the action that purposely moves the club off-plane (outward) beginning around midway into the downswing. Without it you would completely miss the ball! Without enough of it you'll likely hit the ball with a glancing blow ... along with a lot of other troubling swing flaws. Beta β is used in conjunction with Gamma γ torque (twisting the shaft longitudinally) to square the clubface as well as Alpha α torque (uncocking in-plane). It also plays a big part in both feeling and sustaining lag deep into the downswing.

You may have heard Tiger Woods (and others) talk about 'turning it down'. What they are referring to is a combination of using both Beta and Gamma torque - moving (sometimes called 'tumbling') the shaft off-plane [or over-the-top] along with twisting the shaft about its axis to square the clubface. These two torques at the same time is what helps provide the raised/arched wrist leading at impact, which is critical to good ball striking in so many ways. To get the seemingly effortless power, the tour players aren't just relying on centrifugal force to sling the club through impact on a single plane. They are actively torquing -- or twisting -- the club in three specific ways during the downswing to help produce those high speeds.

Strengthen that lead wrist (forearm & hand) and you'll be golden using Beta β and Gamma γ torque to strike the ball like you can only dream of doing.

I just recently posted to another thread about this very topic. Click ► http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry16274172

Now you know what is being done by the tour players that 99% of amateurs don't even know to do.

Swing-Sequence.jpg

golf_hogan_torquing.jpg

The average golfer could care less about tumbling or alpha/beta/gamma torques when more simplistic terms can be used.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

If you want to research the [over-the-top from the inside] move further, it is called Beta b torque. Beta b torque is the action that purposely moves the club off-plane (outward) beginning around midway into the downswing. Without it you would completely miss the ball! Without enough of it you'll likely hit the ball with a glancing blow ... along with a lot of other troubling swing flaws. Beta b is used in conjunction with Gamma γ torque (twisting the shaft longitudinally) to square the clubface as well as Alpha a torque (uncocking in-plane). It also plays a big part in both feeling and sustaining lag deep into the downswing.

Strengthen that lead wrist (forearm & hand) and you'll be golden using Beta b and Gamma γ torque to strike the ball like you can only dream of doing.

Swing-Sequence.jpg

golf_hogan_torquing.jpg

The guy at the bottom is cheating look at the size of the ball and clubhead, he also has no feet which is a bit of a disadvantage so maybe this evens things out.

I have written to the R&A for clarification.

Swing-Sequence.jpg

golf_hogan_torquing.jpg

SF,

Thanks for taking the time for that reply. It's good stuff.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

SF,

Thanks for taking the time for that reply. It's good stuff.

Thank you for the kind words. Glad to help.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

• 1 month later...

I used this drill two years ago (hard to believe), then set the sticks down, picked them up again, and practicing more. I started watching the GG stuff and have great affection for how his students look, and his lessons and such. After being in a rut and not being able to force a "shallow" club movement, I went back to this original thread (read my own post on page 8), and went to the range tonight. Within just a few shots I was striping it again with a major new understanding of exactly how this helps my swing flaws:

1. In my typical swing - my "hands" at Impact are like 6" higher than they were at address. What dawned on my this time around, is that this drill and move (2 corners and a flat spot), gets my "hands" passing through the ball much closer to the position they were at address.

2. The idea of leaving the right shoulder back a tad-second, to get the club handle down before snapping through the flat spot, added a lot of seemingly effortless speed.

By the end of the small bucket, was feeling really good. Glad to rediscover this topic. Jim