Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

Further reflecting, I think the Mike Malaska move/description is evident in Tigers swing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEroJRXzGwc&feature=em-upload_owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5swA2vslnU&feature=em-upload_owner

Notice how far into the downswing he gets retaining wrist angle, and how his hands come into the ball same level as address position. Back stays to the target a long time while the club is dropping. Then club whips through. Your thoughts? Jim

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^ Well, I wondered who would kill this thread. After 30+ years of riding the roller coaster/merry-go-round of conflicting golf instruction, I stumbled upon Malaska's videos and finally experienced

I was in bed checking out this site, saw this video and couldn't take it, so I went to "the lab" to test it out. Considering I literally rolled out of bed at 3am and started hitting balls without any

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1442859320' post='12345308'] I like this feel myself. Me and a buddy that is a plus 3 were messing around with it and both of us liked it. It actually shallowed my d

> @dlow206 said:

> I just tried this drill for some practice swings, and it feels really good. Need to try it at the range.

Look at the Jim Waldron stuff as well, to me both guys are essentially teaching the same thing, swings have gotten way too long, you can get better results with a shorter swing with a proper swing path.

Taylormade M5 Attas COOOL 7S
Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
Mizuno MP 18 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Tigers post-round interview at the memorial this year showed him talking about his right hip depth on way back and left hip depth to keep the club in front of him. Go on youtube and watch. I believe its a Zach Allen video.

Callaway Mav Stand 8.0 Accra TZ5 75 M5

Callaway Mav SZ 15 Accra TZ6 85 M5

TS3 18 Ventus Red 9x

4 T100 TI X100

5-9 620 MB TI X100

47,52,57,62 SM8 TI x100 (47,52) TI S400 (57,62)

Putter: Testing

Ball: Testing

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving this thread form the dead, but I felt the need to endorse Malaska's teaching. First off, I have never posted anything about golf instruction anywhere, even after 7 years of personal instruction consuming more online content than you could possible imagine. Without exception, Malaska's concept of "standing up the club" has transformed my swing. My swing flaw was a flat backswing and extreme over the top move, resulting in snap hooks and slices.. With the occasional perfect timing and extreme turn, I could hit a nice ball now and again. I fell victim to conventional wisdom that it was all about getting the handle shallow and out. I could never get it right, so basically became a flipper or wrist roller to square the face. Not a great formula for good golf.

I would offer "the move" is a real move. I've tried all sorts of "moves" over the years but I can really feel this one when I do it right. You feel the club catapult after standing it up and swinging through. For me it's truly a power move. After a bad surfing accident and emergency fusion T2-T4, I am super glad to discover a power move that doesn't require massive torquing of the back. What' most interesting is that the "feel" is one of steepening, but when viewed down the line it's actually a shallowing of the club. So counterintuitive, but the videos don't lie.

While I don't subscribe to comparisons across instructors and swing theory, I can tell you that Malaska worked for this guy when I needed it most.

I've been looking for a way to get better consistency and have been working on keeping the club basically in-between my wrists, arms and in line with my spine (in front of me) (or trapped) throughout the whole swing. Started with the concept that hogan talked about with the arms glued to the body in the video where he says "if you don't mind..." and I think similar to what Fleetwood was doing earlier this year. The key is the transition and doing what Ive coined "the samurai move." This is where I feel like Im impaling the butt end of the club into my stomach and hooking it up into my heart. Ive had great success no loss of distance and very straight shots. By chance I just found this thread and believe Malaska is an excellent instructor.

Good luck to everyone and as with all these naysayers if you don't like the subject move on and go do whatever it is you do.

As what was said in one of these videos "this is an old game." It's been taught for years , its not rocked science, only more efficient ways to swing the club and I think this is one of them.

Agree with your feel on the handle, that's another way to feel the tip out. I also think of tumbling the club over after the handle to gut move, with a good smooth turn. I must have a hundred videos of myself trying to shallow the club the way I was taught for 20 years. It wasn't until Malaska that I ever see myself doing it on video.

Of course some don't like his approach or philosophy, and to each their own. As my dad used to say, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one

I've been watching a ton of Mike's videos. I really like visual of swinging a weight around your head and having to back the hips up to gain more speed/control of the weight. As someone whose first move has been hands to ball and hips following, this has given me an idea of the feeling my hips should have during the downswing. (rotating but almost backing out away from the ball).

Standing the shaft up from the top is a horrendous feel and produces bad results for me. Shallowing the shaft in transition also feels bad to me and I lose all perception of the club.

But

I've had a lot of success feeling like I combine the two. I feel like briefly shallow the shaft and my arms in early transition, then do (what feels like) the Malaska move. When I do this, it is the best my swing has ever felt. My miss with this is a dead solid pull. I haven't been using this feel long, but I suspect that the problem comes when I either don't get deep enough in my backswing or I don't shallow my arms and or club enough in transtion.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

3 Wood: Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

3H: Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

4-PW: Ping i200 - Project X 6.5

50/55/60: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - Project X 6.5

Putter: LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Ball: Snell MTBx

• 2 months later...

So far I like the early returns. Wasn't sure what to expect considering I've being doing a lot of Gankas's stuff this past year.

Have only been hitting mid-irons with it so far. Haven't let the big dog eat yet. But so far it's been getting ball started on line with a little draw pretty effortlessly. The "move" comes a bit naturally for me since my left arm rotates CCW naturally on downswing. Works best for me when I make a conscious effort to keep my back to target a fraction longer in transition. When I do a good job of moving hips away from ball in that counterbalancing fashion it's as pure a feeling strike as I've felt. And pretty effortless.

I'm a big fan of Malaska's stuff and have been using his feels for a few years, he has an excellent couple of videos with Eric Cogorno on youtube which have just come out this last week. The only other coach I watch is Jake Hutt who has some brilliant videos on the release.

[size=3][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the damn ball.[/font][/b][/size]
[size=2]TM R1[/size]
[size=2]Adams Tight lies 2 5w[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland Mashie 5h[/size]
[s][size=2]Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW[/size][/s]
[size=2]Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*[/size]
[size=2]MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.[/size]

Mike's stuff is excellent, but you have to interpret it correctly, it's all about feels and some people confuse this. One of my favourite videos is this one

[size=3][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the damn ball.[/font][/b][/size]
[size=2]TM R1[/size]
[size=2]Adams Tight lies 2 5w[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland Mashie 5h[/size]
[s][size=2]Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW[/size][/s]
[size=2]Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*[/size]
[size=2]MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.[/size]

Not one great player kept the club in front of them. Mike Malaska is a talented golfer but is teaching something that will make the average golfer worse. Tiger Woods talks about the 'feel' of the club in front of him but it doesn't happen in his swing and he even said that years ago. Every great player has the club coming from behind them and the clubhead is always last in the sequence. No wonder all the girls he teaches from The Symetra Tour rarely make a cut.

Too early to say if I'll stick with this swing long term. But it will have a lasting effect on how I practice. This is the first time I've rehearsed positions I don't want to be in, to get to positions I want to be in. It's been very enlightening for me, who is very much a feel player. I can't hit it a lick if I get mechanical. And a nice added benefit, it makes a bucket of range balls last a whole lot longer.