LIVE Q&A: Callaway Golf Apex Irons and Hybrids. Mon Oct 5, 4PM ET / 1PM PT. Ask questions NOW!

HipCheck

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest factors for me and a hybrid is the acoustics. I am assuming just off of design, this will be a more muted sound than the X2hot Pro, and XR pro models. Is that something you guys try to modify? If I were to hit a hybrid of this design and get the same sound I do from my X2Hot FW, it would be a shock.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/Diamana GT 60TX tipped 1"
(Probably) Taylormade Stealth2 Plus 15* w/Diamana GT 70X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/MCA Tensei Black 85TX
Ping i230 4-P w/DG120 X100
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

[quote name='ORUTRAVIS' timestamp='1443649663' post='12392446']
Callaway thank you again for taking the time to answer our questions. This is one of my favorite parts of new Callaway product releases. I have been playing the XR PROS since they came out and absolutely love them.

I have two questions:

1. With the new Apex having the 360 cup face what can I expect to see from this iron in comparison to the XR PROS?
2. Is this similar to the APEX UT in make up and design? Clarification would it be advisable to replace the APEX UT with the new Apex irons?

Better feel, dispersion, distance, height.
[/quote]
Answer:
1. The face technology in this iron is the next generation of the face technology used in XR Pros as you point out, but in this case it is married to a Forged body, which provides a softer sound and feel. The Apex CF 16 also has some more game improvement characteristics than the XR Pro. It has a little more offset a wider sole and is generally more forgiving.
2. The Apex iron is a 2 piece cavity back iron with a Face Cup and Forged body, where the Apex UT is a hollow iron like utility with a Face Plate. They are completely different clubs. The Apex UT is a great club, but it is only a long iron replacement. I would encourage you to go try the Apex irons or better yet get fit and decide for yourself.

Luke

Just a couple of questions, don't know if these have been asked...

Thanks AGAIN for taking the time to talk with us, first and foremost.

Hi guys, this is Ramon!

First... how has the sound/feel improved since you moved away from 455 carpenter steel to this newer version?

Also.... what is quadruple net forging? I understand the forging process a bit... and was just wondering what makes this process so different?

Thx Doc, Luke and everyone!!!

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1443655123' post='12392782']
Would you say that, compared to its predecessor, the Apex CF16 addresses more of the needs of better players or of higher handicaps, and how?
[/quote]

I would say a little bit of both. For the better player, the feedback on the Apex '13 was that the 9, PW, AW were a bit "bulky" and the shape was a little large for better players. We addressed that in this line, I think you will really like the transition between long, mid and short irons.

For the higher handicappers, having a Face Cup in the iron is huge. COR readings in long irons are .820 vs. .775 for a typical iron. This is going to provide tremendous forgiveness for the higher handicapper.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1443641001' post='12391684']
I was able to test the new line-up guys and it's great stuff. Have a couple questions:

1. Since the Apex hybrid is more "iron-like" what differences will I see between it and the Apex Utility?
2. I have always loved flighted shafts but it appears that most of the "flighting" is now done in the club head itself such as the tungsten weights in the Apex Pro. Can you talk about why this is preferable?
3. Why not put the cup face tech in the Apex short irons? Since golfers in general are obsessed with distance, wouldn't they benefit from more spring effect in all clubs?

On a side note guys, would love to see you release the new muscle back (MB1) that we are seeing in some tour bags. Thanks!
[/quote]

1. Higher launch and more forgiveness. This Apex hybrid is still a hybrid but the mass properties are designed for more playability.
2. The shaft and weights are attacking the same problem. Higher ball flight in the long irons and lower ball flight with the short irons.
3. The additional ball speed on the more lofted clubs creates even higher ball flight. Those towering shots would be fun to hit but difficult to control with the wind.

ScottM

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444076425' post='12414002']
[quote name='Buddyroo' timestamp='1443646121' post='12392174']
Your video describes the new irons as being made with an "advanced quadruple net forging" process. Can you describe this process in more detail? Also can you tell us which Callaway staff pros will be playing these new irons? Thanks!
[/quote]
Essentially the forging process has 4 stages. In each stage the 1025 carbon steel is held at temperature and pressed in a set of tool dies. Each tool set makes incremental changes to the shape of the forging. In the 4th stage, the amount of material movement is very small and this gives us a high degree of precision in the final shape. As for Tour pros - we haven't released the irons to Tour yet but the Pro model has been designed in collaboration with our Tour pros, so we expect a lot of the X Forged 13 and Apex Pro users to be quick converts to the new Apex Pro. - AH
[/quote]

Hi Doc!

Hope that all is well! This is Ramon. So in essence, is this taking Grain Flow Forging concept to another level? How does the face of the new Apex CF compare to the previous faces on the Diablo Forged and current Apex line? Thx sir!

Can we expect to see any updates to the Apex MB in the near future?

Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow
3 Wood Xhot 13.5
Apex Utility 18 degree
3,5-6 Irons Xforged Nippon Modus 130 Stiff
7-pw Razr MB Nippon Modus 130 Stiff
52 MD2T Nippon Modus 130 Stiff
60 MD3 Nippon Modus 130 Stiff
64 PM Grind Nippon Modus 130 Stiff
#9 Toe Up

[quote name='JohnnyB Hips' timestamp='1443654975' post='12392776']
What's the difference in the ball flight of the new Apex hybrid compared to the existing Callaway Apex Utility iron?

What's the difference of putting the weighted tungsten in the back from last year's bottom??
[/quote]
The new Apex Hybrid ball flight will sit in between a regular Callaway hybrid ball flight and that of the Apex UT. The new Apex hybrid will have a noticeable ball speed and forgiveness advantage over the Apex UT and spin rates that are 300-400rpm greater (in the 3h) than our other hybrids in order to give a more iron-like landing condition. In order to increase the spin rate the CG is not as low as some of our other hybrids so the weight placement in the head is different. - AH

[quote name='Turbosnake' timestamp='1443657107' post='12392920']
In regards to Apex 16 with the 360* face cup in the 3-7 only, what were you able to do to the face on the 8-PW so the feel and distance gaping is consistent thru the set??

Thanks guys !!!!
[/quote]
Adjust the COR and center of gravity to maintain a consistent gap. Verify with testing.

Golfers seem to always be concerned with which facility a forged head is actually forged. It's been discussed and argued for years who forging process is the best. My question to you is do you feel the feel or sound at impact has more to do with the actual head design or who's actually doing the iron head forging?

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444076478' post='12414008']
[quote name='ORUTRAVIS' timestamp='1443649663' post='12392446']
Callaway thank you again for taking the time to answer our questions. This is one of my favorite parts of new Callaway product releases. I have been playing the XR PROS since they came out and absolutely love them.

I have two questions:

1. With the new Apex having the 360 cup face what can I expect to see from this iron in comparison to the XR PROS?
2. Is this similar to the APEX UT in make up and design? Clarification would it be advisable to replace the APEX UT with the new Apex irons?

Better feel, dispersion, distance, height.
[/quote]
Answer:
1. The face technology in this iron is the next generation of the face technology used in XR Pros as you point out, but in this case it is married to a Forged body, which provides a softer sound and feel. The Apex CF 16 also has some more game improvement characteristics than the XR Pro. It has a little more offset a wider sole and is generally more forgiving.
2. The Apex iron is a 2 piece cavity back iron with a Face Cup and Forged body, where the Apex UT is a hollow iron like utility with a Face Plate. They are completely different clubs. The Apex UT is a great club, but it is only a long iron replacement. I would encourage you to go try the Apex irons or better yet get fit and decide for yourself.

Luke
[/quote]

Thanks Luke. This is exactly what I need to hear in regards to the comparison between the XR Pro. Guys keep up the great work. I am excited for what you guys are doing at Callaway.

PING 410 10.5 LST -1.5 DEGREES RIP 50x
PING 410 LST 15 DIAMANA ORANGE X

CALLAWAY UW 19 ALTUS BLUE 75 X

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST PRO HYBRID

CALLAWAY TCB 5-AW PROJECT X CATALYST 100

CALLAWAY FULL TOE 54, 60 MMT 125 SCORING WEDGES
YES TRACY

[quote name='Lunch_Box_81' timestamp='1443972598' post='12408610']
What are the lofts going to be for the Apex and Apex Pro?
[/quote]

Here you go on the specs for both the new Apex and new Apex Pro:

New Apex Pro: http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/apex1/

(Click the tab in the right hand corner and then "specs" if the sheet don't show up for you right away).

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1444076699' post='12414038']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444076425' post='12414002']
[quote name='Buddyroo' timestamp='1443646121' post='12392174']
Your video describes the new irons as being made with an "advanced quadruple net forging" process. Can you describe this process in more detail? Also can you tell us which Callaway staff pros will be playing these new irons? Thanks!
[/quote]
Essentially the forging process has 4 stages. In each stage the 1025 carbon steel is held at temperature and pressed in a set of tool dies. Each tool set makes incremental changes to the shape of the forging. In the 4th stage, the amount of material movement is very small and this gives us a high degree of precision in the final shape. As for Tour pros - we haven't released the irons to Tour yet but the Pro model has been designed in collaboration with our Tour pros, so we expect a lot of the X Forged 13 and Apex Pro users to be quick converts to the new Apex Pro. - AH
[/quote]

Hi Doc!

Hope that all is well! This is Ramon. So in essence, is this taking Grain Flow Forging concept to another level? How does the face of the new Apex CF compare to the previous faces on the Diablo Forged and current Apex line? Thx sir!
[/quote]
Hey Ramon, The main difference is that the new CF16 has the Face Cup which also has a variable thickness pattern. Diablo Forged and the original Apex had the constant thickness face plate which was good at that time, but the Face Cup is the new leader in ball speed. - AH

[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1443656169' post='12392858']
Thank you Callaway and GolfWrx for the Q&A session.

1. With the Apex Hybrid being designed to blend seamlessly with the irons (Doc said more Iron-DNA than Fairway Wood-DNA), would you recommend having the same shaft as your Apex/Pro Irons or your fairway woods?
2. Why no adjustable hosel on the Apex Hybrid?
[/quote]
Answer:
1. Not necessarily, our stock shaft in the Hybrid (Kuro Kage Black) is different that our stock graphite iron shaft (Recoil ES), but the Recoil ES is available at no up charge if you want to go that route and match your Hybrids to your Irons.
2. The Apex Hybrid is not adjustable for a couple reasons. First in order to get the cg where we wanted it in order to get the performance that we wanted we did not want to be stuck with the added weight in the hosel, second because of the more compact shape of the head having a smaller hosel flowed much better, adjustable hosels tend to look really big on smaller heads.

Luke

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1443659835' post='12393088']
I've been wanting a set of XR pros with Recoil 110 shafts, the Apex CF 16 seems to be a great fit. What would the differences be?
[/quote]

Several differences stand out:

Apex is quadruple net forged from 1025 mild carbon steel while XR is cast from 17-4 Stainless. So there will be a feel difference. Second, XR Pro has a more compact shape than Apex CF16.

On a shaft note, the Recoil ES is the stock shaft on the Apex CF16 which is a lighter shaft than the Recoil 110.

Hope that helps.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

Thanks for doing this and trying to answer all of our questions. I play factory installed recoil 110 shafts in my current apex irons. How does the stock graphite recoil option compare to the recoil 95/110? Curious if the steel fibers will be available as a no charge upgrade? What are the no charge graphite shaft upgrades?

What was the reason behind 2 different finishes in the Apex and Apex Pro?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS / Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X               

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X               

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 18*  / Veylix Rome 988X

Edel SMS irons / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel EAS 1.5

[quote name='ZAP' timestamp='1443659138' post='12393034']
Does the new Apex Pro match up as well with the Recoil as the previous model? Seems like a marriage made in heaven.
[/quote]
Answer:
The Recoil has been a great match for Apex and in the new Apex CF 16 and Pro we have gone with Recoil shafts again as the stock offering. The Recoil 95 in the Apex Pro, we think is a great fit as a graphite option for the better player.

Luke

What was behind the decision to have two different finishes between the CF and Pro? Any chance we see a Chrome MD3 to match the Apex Pros?

PING G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

PING G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D

PING PLD Milled Anser 2

Titleist ProV1

Since Apex is now entering the "woods" category is it safe to assume that there could be fwy's and a driver in the future? :)

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS / Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X               

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X               

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 18*  / Veylix Rome 988X

Edel SMS irons / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel EAS 1.5

[quote name='cane700' timestamp='1443669941' post='12393832']
I bought a set of Apex irons on a whim and they have proven to be a game changer for me. I've been impressed with how easy the long irons were to hit. So much that i took my hybrid out of the bag. So I was surprised to see an Apex Hybrid offering. What does the hybrid offer as compared to the CF16 long irons?
[/quote]
Personally, the 2h is in my bag and a fantasitic club. You will find that CF16 irons are longer but ultimately as head speed drops off, hybrids provide a different way to regain distance.

ScottM

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444077101' post='12414074']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1443659835' post='12393088']
I've been wanting a set of XR pros with Recoil 110 shafts, the Apex CF 16 seems to be a great fit. What would the differences be?
[/quote]

Several differences stand out:

Apex is quadruple net forged from 1025 mild carbon steel while XR is cast from 17-4 Stainless. So there will be a feel difference. Second, XR Pro has a more compact shape than Apex CF16.

On a shaft note, the Recoil ES is the stock shaft on the Apex CF16 which is a lighter shaft than the Recoil 110.

Hope that helps.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director
[/quote]Thanks, time to save up a little more $$$. I haven't had a Callaway club in the bag for years, now I've got the PM 60° wedge and an XR hybrid. THe hybrid has pretty much taken the 3 wood out of play as it is almost as long and much more consistent.

Hey Guys,

Being pretty long off the tee, I just don't hit the 4-6 irons that much in a given round, what benefits or detriments would there be in doing a combo set of Apex/Apex Pro and how would you recommend get the gap closer around the set split irons?

thanks,

Leif

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

How would the spin rate among irons compare from the highest to lowest in your current line including the 2016 models?

PING 410 10.5 LST -1.5 DEGREES RIP 50x
PING 410 LST 15 DIAMANA ORANGE X

CALLAWAY UW 19 ALTUS BLUE 75 X

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST PRO HYBRID

CALLAWAY TCB 5-AW PROJECT X CATALYST 100

CALLAWAY FULL TOE 54, 60 MMT 125 SCORING WEDGES
YES TRACY

[quote name='roverdog99' timestamp='1443670937' post='12393942']
I currently play and enjoy a set if xr pros. How do the apex pros compare? Can I expect similar distance?
[/quote]

Apex Pro is geared towards Tour Pros, elite amateurs and low handicap aspiring players, not necessarily to maximize distance. Apex Pro features Progressive Flow Weighting, which uses different weights and materials in long, middle and short irons. This affects the trajectory of the Apex Pro irons. The Apex Pro does not have a Face Cup, which the XR Pro has. So I would expect XR Pro to be slightly longer for a comparable iron.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1443746327' post='12398260']
Thanks for the opportunity Cally guys! My question to the panel would be what type noticeable playing characteristics changes will we see from the previous Apex Pro model to the New 16 model ? i.e.... grind ,bounce ,width of the sole?
Personally I've always liked a narrower sole on my irons, but I realize this doesn't work for everyone. Are the Apex 16 pro's getting more play on Tour then the standard Apex?

Thanks again for your time, Tim
[/quote]
Certainly the new Apex Pro 16 was designed with a lot of Tour feedback and has some head shape characteristics consistent with X Forged 13 as a result. The shape will likely be perceived as being slightly narrower than the original Apex Pro sole.

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1443703051' post='12394748']
Thanks for reaching out to the WRX community:

[size=5][b][i]I currently play a combo set: 24* Apex UT, 5-7 Apex, 8-G Apex Pro. What set-up would you recommend for me with the new model(s) ? [/i][/b][/size]

Thanks in Advance!
[/quote]

Answer:
I would probably start with a full set of Apex CF 16 4-P, A. The 4 iron will be longer and more forgiving than the original Apex 4 iron and the short irons are much improved over the original Apex. We spent a lot of time re-shaping the short irons in this set so that they would have more appeal to better players, the short irons on the original Apex were a little clunky and some better players were turned off by their appearance at address. If you were one of the players that played the Pro short irons because you did not like the way the short irons looked I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the new ones.

Luke