W/S FG-17 Facts, Figures, & Stuff

TuffyE

B-S, you are indeed correct, the name came from the 1-A, Karsten Solheim's original putter.

When I hear that name, I can't help but think of this:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_R6tJfr-M[/media]

The Ever Changing Bag!ย  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods:ย King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:ย  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 Sย 

Irons grab bag:ย  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:ย  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or-ย Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or-ย Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:ย  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Original would be Golf Pride Victory Green grips - these used to be tough to find (NOS) and prone to hardening quickly. However:

[url="http://www.golfpride.com/club-type/victory-limited-edition/"]http://www.golfpride.com/club-type/victory-limited-edition/[/url]

That being said, I have a set of Crossline Cord Midsize grips on my Zings and have to say I sure like them a lot, especially as I'm getting older.

D -ย  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)ย 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1444917522' post='12459562']
Original would be Golf Pride Victory Green grips - these used to be tough to find (NOS) and prone to hardening quickly. However:

[url="http://www.golfpride.com/club-type/victory-limited-edition/"]http://www.golfpride...imited-edition/[/url]

That being said, I have a set of Crossline Cord Midsize grips on my Zings and have to say I sure like them a lot, especially as I'm getting older.
[/quote]

Actually the originals were Lamkin's Sure Tac Green Victory lookalike that were labeled "Wilson Tour" on the end cap.

And those were a remarkable product. The ones that are on my 84 Fluid Feels are still playable, and I just picked up a Staff 7 wood that still has that grip and I think it's going to be fine with a bit of sanding and cleaning.

Lamkin reissued the Sure Tac in 2010 (with white paint fill), and it was available for a couple of years. May still be possible to find some of those.

I was disappointed that the new Victory grips were so expensive, especially for a product that just isn't that durable. I haven't bought a single one.

I've been using a ton of Hireko's Karma black wrap grips. They're $1.19 each and are the best inexpensive grip I've found, by far. They seem to be holding up very well under some pretty heavy use.

I just can't bring myself to put $10 grips on thrift store clubs. Or anything else for that matter.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย --Rory McIlroyย 

Nice iron, played em from their introduction in '81 through 1986, when I went with the Mizzy TP-9s-

As I said, nice iron but not in my top 3 Staff irons that I played across 19 years.

Like the Mizzy TN-87s, which also was a nice iron and though I played 2 sets across 5 years, they weren't close to the best Mizzy Blade I've played-

They both got a following, and as I said before, I'm skeptical of all the guys claiming to have played both the 87s and the 17s back in the day cuz I just didn't see it, especially the 87's, lol

If you're looking for the best that Staff had to offer, IMO, the Button Backs(1971) or the Tour Blade, circa 1978-80.

Now THOSE were some kick a** blades :)

I've still got my last set of 17s, though I play my BBs in the vintage tourney.

Hey, to each his/her own-

It's such an individual thing when selecting an iron, much less saying which one likes the best-

They're an iconic iron, that's for sure.

The best to ya Bro :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1445113774' post='12469944']

If you're looking for the best that Staff had to offer, IMO, the Button Backs(1971) [b]or the Tour Blade, circa 1978-80.[/b]

[/quote]

Richard - how would you compare the '78 - '80 Tour Blades to the Fg17s? I remember a pal who had the Tour Blades, and I really liked them. Most people seem to assume that the Fg17s are very similar. Do you find them different?

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1445115733' post='12470058']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1445113774' post='12469944']

If you're looking for the best that Staff had to offer, IMO, the Button Backs(1971) [b]or the Tour Blade, circa 1978-80.[/b]

[/quote]

Richard - how would you compare the '78 - '80 Tour Blades to the Fg17s? I remember a pal who had the Tour Blades, and I really liked them. Most people seem to assume that the Fg17s are very similar. Do you find them different?
[/quote]Hey Birly, I hope all's well :)

Well, like most, there's not a hell of a lot to do with a blade regarding technological changes, be it Mizzy, Staff or whever.

The Tour Blade(really, you can go 1976-1980) was a tight clean, elegent blade with a streamlined muscle pad-

Pete, gave me a set of 17's for my birthday(1982) with "RPJ II" replacing the "Fg17" and then I bought a second set, same set-up, which were in my bag when I went with the TP-9's.

They shifted the weight around the pad and the 17 had a more pronounced pad, and slightly longer heel-toe similar to the difference from the Mizzy 68's to the 69's with the 69's having the thicker pad and I think the thinking was probably the same, a more playable "forgiving" iron, though that's in the hands and eyes of the beholder. I remember going back to my Tour Blades and I won my first Club in 1987 with my 79 Tour Blades in the bag, having replaced my TP-9's the week before.

For me, simply, they were more streamlined and I remember that they had a "crisper" sound(my sense of feel)-

I think that's why I Love the 59's so much and they replaced my 68's in '12 for my Match Play Championship and if I didn't choke on that vanilla 3' putt on 18, Maddie woulda won $5000 and we'd have gone to Vegas for Nationals but I hit some great shots with those 59's

The were a modern rendition of the Tour Blade, with the 51's being that same rendition of the 17's-

Granted Payne kicked a** with em in '91(51's) however most would say that the 59s are the finest "modern" iron Staff has put out-

Haha, who knows, they're all pretty sweet-

Take Care Bro, and have a great holiday season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Haven't tied the '59s, but did enjoy the 51s. A few years ago I gave my oldest son permission to trade in a couple of old Wilson sets I had on some new Titlest he was looking at. I was out of the country at the time, so this was all done through email. Upon my return I descovered he had used my 51s as part of the exchange. I really liked those irons, as modern irons go.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1445126863' post='12470632']
Haven't tied the '59s, but did enjoy the 51s. A few years ago I gave my oldest son permission to trade in a couple of old Wilson sets I had on some new Titlest he was looking at. I was out of the country at the time, so this was all done through email. Upon my return I descovered he had used my 51s as part of the exchange. I really liked those irons, as modern irons go.
[/quote]i did not mean to diminish the 51's though as I reread my post, my bias is evident, lol.

The 51s were probably the last great blade/iron to come out of Staff until the 59s.

My Teacher, Pete, had the 51's in his bag from his first custom grind set, which had "HWS" where the "Fg51" was(Though his birth name was Harry Welford Snead, he went by Pete from early childhood on). He loved those irons and put them second to the Button Backs as the greatest Staff blade he ever hit. Pete's relationship with Staff actually preceded Sam's by 2-3 years and he was critically instrumental in "delivering" Sam to Staff, loll, going so far as sending the Mac executives to the wrong course while he and Sam met with Staff executives, LMAO.

Also, as has been mentioned elsewhere in other threads, Staff's custom shop was absolutely second to none in doing custom grinds and customizations and one offs, be it stamping on face back or squaring off the toe if desired.

Harry's Button Backs had "Pittsburgh Field Club" in place of the "Dynapower" on the face back followed by a space and then "HWS."

I've included a pic of a Limited Edition set of 70 Fg51's commemorating Payne's '91 US Open Victory as commissioned by a Hawaiin distributor for his Japanese customers. There was actually a set of these that came up on eBay last year, and I can't remember if that's where I got the picture from(#43/70).

Anyhoo OS, I didn't mean to slight the 51's :)

They really are the last great Staff blade that most peeps remember because by the time the 59's were released, well, Staff had long given up their Leadership position as the blade of 59 Major Champions(prior to Paddy bagging two), and many didn't even know of these irons.

I know that all these guys and Kathy Marie know this though for anyone not familiar, the current blade, the Fg 100, is basically a modern rendition of the Legendary Button Backs(1971), though I'll still take the originals, lol.

Have a great week Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard

• 5 months later...

A very prolific set indeed. I have heard good things about the Edwin Watts model as well. Have only seen one set in person, but they appeared to be spot on.

Thx, and indeed the Watts model is an awesome set as well. Very similar head profile and soft as butter! I'll try to remember to add some more pics next time I'm out!

• 6 months later...

Use whatever grip you find suitable and are accustomed to. File what follows in the other options category as I've never been a fan of Victory's. Found them hard and a tendency to get slick with some age and use. Tour Velvets never did much for me either. Always liked the look of a wrapped grip on classic clubs. Lamkin Perma Wraps having been the usual grip of choice. With some reservation on these now, given the current state of these a matter of some debate. And before that, the Perma Wrap Classic with the spiral accent. Impossible to find these days.

ย 

Bought a couple of Star Classic Perf Wraps to try out as a potential Lamkin replacement. Come perforated or smooth. Only have had them installed for a couple of rounds, can't speak to longevity at this point. But I'm liking them a lot, having the feel of the older "script" natural rubber Perma Wraps IMO.

ย 

http://www.golfworks.com/star-grip-classic-perf-wrap-golf-grip/p/STG0003/

ย 

Another to consider might be the Lamkin UTX Wrap grips. Having had them installed on a set of Apex's for a year plus now. Nice grip, no real complaints, very good in dampish conditions. Just not entirely sure if I would select these the next time around. The GP CP2 wrap is a great grip, my favorite, use it on all the moderns. Just does not have the proper classic wrap look that I prefer on the older clubs. Form sometimes supersedes function.

ย 

My 2 cents.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I finally got a 3-PW set. Was thinking about a regrip job too. I got a set of GP Victory ready to go but was thinking other options too. GP tour velvet cord, GP Victory cord, GP tour wrap maybe. What sounds best without worrying about cost?

Put Lamkin Crosslines on mine today! Couldn't play due to rain for 1st time in nearly 2 months. Tour Wraps are great also. Seem to stay tacky forever.

My late father bought a set of FG17s new. Unbelievable feel. I used them on and off between swapping sets a few seasons ago. R flex pre Gold Dynamic shafts. R flex was actually firm. Great for working the ball. Pitching wedge was razor sharp and you had to be very precise to not chunk it. Loft wise I imagine they were at least 3 degrees weak in the longer irons and 4 weak in the shorter irons. A great set of irons for the purist.

so true about the pw. i fell in love with the fg17 pw as it suits my short game style. i had to admit defeat with the rest of the irons. i just couldnt get them airborn. i sold the set but kept the pw

73 hogan apex

http://www.lamkingri...CFUZafgod89IPIQ

ย 

Now I'm defintely leaning towards these Lamkin Perma-Wrap Classic grips.

ย 

Good choice!! As classic as they come and with the old skool script. May have to order in a set of those to have I hand. The best looking new grip for a persimmon club IMO. Reminds me of the old MacGregor leathers. Will look right on the FG's as well.

• 8 months later...

Fun Fg17 fact. These things are a bear to work on. Mine do NOT have the fabled threaded hosel/tip interface - but my god, getting the shafts out of a couple of wedges was heavier work than a whole set of pinned Hogan irons. In the process, I had to buy more gas for the torch and bent a ram rod. I am guessing these shafts were installed originally with something more than fingertip pressure, and that the extra heat was necessary not so much to break the epoxy but to expand the hosel and loosen the interference fit..

ย 

On the other hand, I'm very impressed with the consistency of swing weight across the set, achieved without any tip weights or lead shot, slugs or plugs. Great quality original assembly.

Was thinking about this today. Being that the topic has come up again. And correspondingly, Bullrambler's post in the W/S thread. Seemingly, many have there favorite Staffs. The vintages going back to the 60's versions through the Buttonbacks. Then the group including the Bullet Backs, W/S Tour Blades and the FG-17's. Comprising '76 -'83.

ย 

Have a singular W/S Tour Blade PW (If anyone is in need ) and cannot really tell much difference to the FG-17. Even though some have preferred the prior model. Didn't get on with W/S very well when I've tried them in the past. Something about the sharp leading edge and my swing were disagreeable. But recently acquired a set of FG-17's again on the cheap and willing to have another go with them. The first set had stiff shafts, these have regulars. An improvement in and of itself. Need grips and extensions if I was to get serious. (Will have to wait until fall, as I'm out of golfing commission for awhile). Based on B-S comments, think I'll forgo any inclinations towards reshafting.

ย 

So I guess the question is....."What the consensus favorite of all the Staffs?" If you had to pick just one. Or are there enough similarities across the various vintages to be distinctions without a difference? Read Forged4Ever's comments once that the FG-17's were down the list of his favorite Staffs. Thinking that any self-respecting classic club player should have at least one Wilson Staff set that sees rotation.

Was thinking about this today. Being that the topic has come up again. And correspondingly, Bullrambler's post in the W/S thread. Seemingly, many have there favorite Staffs. The vintages going back to the 60's versions through the Buttonbacks. Then the group including the Bullet Backs, W/S Tour Blades and the FG-17's. Comprising '76 -'83.

ย 

Have a singular W/S Tour Blade PW (If anyone is in need ) and cannot really tell much difference to the FG-17. Even though some have preferred the prior model. Didn't get on with W/S very well when I've tried them in the past. Something about the sharp leading edge and my swing were disagreeable. But recently acquired a set of FG-17's again on the cheap and willing to have another go with them. The first set had stiff shafts, these have regulars. An improvement in and of itself. Need grips and extensions if I was to get serious. (Will have to wait until fall, as I'm out of golfing commission for awhile). Based on B-S comments, think I'll forgo any inclinations towards reshafting.

ย 

So I guess the question is....."What the consensus favorite of all the Staffs?" If you had to pick just one. Or are there enough similarities across the various vintages to be distinctions without a difference? Read Forged4Ever's comments once that the FG-17's were down the list of his favorite Staffs. Thinking that any self-respecting classic club player should have at least one Wilson Staff set that sees rotation.

ย 

Well I have only one set 3 - SW '76 Staff blades as they are extremely hard to find reasonably priced over here in Australia so I can say they are my favourites

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old thread here.

ย 

Can someone tell me what shaft tip size would be on a set of Wilson FG17's?

ย 

I've googled, but can't find it anywhere. And plenty of other Wilson clubs are all different sizes, .370, 0500, .335, .355 etc.

ย 

The Golfworks fact sheets for Wilson only go back to 1996. Think the FG17's were mid-80's?

ย 

TIA