Iron Heads from Golfworks and Hireko....Anyone Tried and Use Any?

Nalajr

Hey all,

I'd like to make up maybe 3 irons to try and see how well they work for me. I've been looking at Golfworks and Hireko. Both of them have heads that I like. I'd really like to try one of the forged heads from Golfworks, but they are too expensive for me with the least expensive one at $25 per head. The ST-i heads at $15 are more my price.

At Hireko, they have several that I like. The ACER XS series and the ACER XV series each have heads that I like. Each of them have a standard, an HT and a PRO. I think the HT stands for High Trajectory for those that have trouble getting the ball up and the PRO is a more compact head designed for better players that don't want a thick top line and such.

Have any of you tried any of these heads? I'd like to hear your thoughts about them, if you don't mind sharing them.

Also, if you have other component heads that you can resommend from other retailers, how about posting those up too. I'd like to check out other choices and options.

I am also thinking about trying to pick up a set of irons that have been used and priced as such maybe like the PING G15, which I've always liked the looks of. Feel free to add recommendations for these as well, something that would not be a lot of money.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time and help.

BD

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some Maltby MMBs back in the day. Interesting "blade" iron as they're oversized with a thicker topline. Both companies make good clubs.

I see nothing wrong with going the component route if you plan on keeping clubs a long time. By the time you buy a head, shaft, and grip + assembly you'll likely be higher in price than buying a used club, plus your resale value will be lower. Just something to think about

Not the head you are looking at buying, but I recently bought one of the Maltby DBM heads to tinker with. I have limited time with it so I can't speak to durability of the finish, but I have enjoyed hitting it so far. It has a similar sole width as my AP2, slightly longer blade length, thinner topline, and less offset. It looks really good at address. And it feels really good too. Mishits are a little harsher than the AP2, but I wouldn't say they sting. It seems to be a pretty forgiving head. Honestly I was impressed with it so much that I'm contemplating buying a set.

Like another poster said, they don't really make junk so I'm sure you'd get many seasons out of a set. But if you think you may not keep them for a really long time, it may be best to buy some used heads from a big OEM, like the G15s you mentioned.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Nalajr' timestamp='1444785539' post='12452922']
Hey all,

I'd like to make up maybe 3 irons to try and see how well they work for me. I've been looking at Golfworks and Hireko. Both of them have heads that I like. I'd really like to try one of the forged heads from Golfworks, but they are too expensive for me with the least expensive one at $25 per head. The ST-i heads at $15 are more my price.
At Hireko, they have several that I like. The ACER XS series and the ACER XV series each have heads that I like. Each of them have a standard, an HT and a PRO. I think the HT stands for High Trajectory for those that have trouble getting the ball up and the PRO is a more compact head designed for better players that don't want a thick top line and such.

Have any of you tried any of these heads? I'd like to hear your thoughts about them, if you don't mind sharing them.

Also, if you have other component heads that you can resommend from other retailers, how about posting those up too. I'd like to check out other choices and options.

I am also thinking about trying to pick up a set of irons that have been used and priced as such maybe like the PING G15, which I've always liked the looks of. Feel free to add recommendations for these as well, something that would not be a lot of money.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time and help.

BD
[/quote]

Both make good products all across their lines. Currently I am playing the Acer XV irons and like them quite a bit. Yes, the offset is a bit bigger than many here would like but they are forgiving, feel nice and did not break the bank when I needed to switch to graphite shafted irons.

I have played malt by irons for the past 13 years...5 with the the MO5 (now TEs), 5 ke4 tours, and the last 3 with the new black ke4 tours. These are awesome heads, great feel, beautiful set up, only downside is the black finish wears quickly. I don't care but some might. The newest model has a satin finish but is otherwise identical.
If you want to try the ST I I have a demo 6i head I'd send you for shipping, say $6. Email me if interested [email protected]

Driver: Epic, Proj X HZRD 55 5.5
3 wood: Tour Edge CB4, 16.5*, Kura Kage 60 reg
Hybrids: 19* & 22* Srixon H45, Kura Kage 70 reg
Irons: Golfworks KE4 Tour+ 5-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (+ 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks M series 54 & 58
Putter: TM Spider Tour Red
Ball: Srixon Zstar

Thanks all. I'll check out the write-up in that link you posted.

I don't mind the offset, I just need help and a decent set of irons to get back into the game with. When you've been out of it for as long as I have, you need all the help you can get.
One of the biggest problems I used to have was getting my irons to consistently get good height. That was what caused me to not be able to consistently shoot in the 80's. I would be going along fairly well and all the sudden my approach shots would end up being worm burners time after time. I hated it. I have no reason to believe the same thing won't happen to me again as I try and get back to hitting balls decently.

As for the PING G15 heads, I have never seen those for sale. IN fact I've never seen the pro-line heads for sale, other than old ones from many years ago. It's hard telling what a set of G15 irons would cost if I could even find them. I really like the looks of those irons though. I think they are one of the nicest looking PING irons I've seen.

Anyway, thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming. I'm open to just about anything that would be a benefit to me.

Nalajr

Hi I ad two sets of Maltby irons the MMBand the K E4 my personal opinion is they are rubbish. If you want to make your own clubs buy a cheap set off eBay and reshaft them and tinker around with them you will learn a lot from doing this and buy some cheap woods and tinker around with them. If you stuff them up sell them back on eBay and get some money back and read lots of articles from the Golf WRX web site on club repairs you will learn a lot I have
Tall golfer

[quote name='Tall golfer' timestamp='1444895744' post='12458794']
Hi I ad two sets of Maltby irons the MMBand the K E4 my personal opinion is they are rubbish.
Tall golfer
[/quote]

I use Maltby heads for years now. And they are not rubbish at all. The TEs are just superb heads. I also have MMB, MMB-17, DBM and KE4 Forged. None of them was ever rubbish!

Use these with some really good shafts and you can compete with almost anything.

1W: JBeam Glorious / Attas Coool 7s 3W: Alpha V5 Hi-Cor / Attas3 7s 5W: Tour Stage X-FW / Attas3 7s 7W: Baldo Magma / My Attas 7s 5H: Cobra F8 / Attas 100s 7H: Cobra F8 / Attas 100s 8i - GW: Maltby TE / Attas 10s SW: Fourteen DJ-303 (54) / UST IHS-991 Spin Wedge LW: Callaway PM Grind (60) / UST IHS-991 Spin Wedge Putter: Slighter Redmond Copper

I have built both the XS and the XV Pro from Hireko. Personally, I prefer the XV Pro....plus it's a boatload cheaper at $9.95 a head. Currently the XV Pro's are shafted with Apollo Stepless shafts I had laying around but over the winter I will probably reshaft them with something a bit more higher launch....but haven't decided (committed) to that plan yet. The current set up is absolutely mid launch.

The offset is not terribly far off from what OEM's, and in many cases is actually LESS. For example, the offset for the Titleist AP2 3 iron is .160" and the XV Pro is 3.2mm (converts to .126") I don't hear very many people on here gripe about the offset for the AP2, but they will bash a component head "sight-unseen" for having too much offset....go figure

The 431 stainless is quite soft actually, and is the same as my beloved Acer XB wedges which (in my opinion) are comparable in performance and feel to ANY oem wedge I have tried....and I tried a TON. If these irons or wedges had an OEM badge on them the threads about them would be on fire.

If you haven't yet, I encourage you to peek at Nessism's post mentioned above to see what he did with the XV Pro's.... Just an incredible job on those irons!

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='Nalajr' timestamp='1444877227' post='12458170']
Thanks all. I'll check out the write-up in that link you posted.

I don't mind the offset, I just need help and a decent set of irons to get back into the game with. When you've been out of it for as long as I have, you need all the help you can get.
One of the biggest problems I used to have was getting my irons to consistently get good height. That was what caused me to not be able to consistently shoot in the 80's. I would be going along fairly well and all the sudden my approach shots would end up being worm burners time after time. I hated it. I have no reason to believe the same thing won't happen to me again as I try and get back to hitting balls decently.

As for the PING G15 heads, I have never seen those for sale. IN fact I've never seen the pro-line heads for sale, other than old ones from many years ago. It's hard telling what a set of G15 irons would cost if I could even find them. I really like the looks of those irons though. I think they are one of the nicest looking PING irons I've seen.

Anyway, thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming. I'm open to just about anything that would be a benefit to me.

Nalajr
[/quote]
The STi head is a really High Launching head when I tested it, ball just seems to fly off the face and they are very easy to hit. If Height is your issue might want to try them out I don't think you'll be dissapointed

The Acer XV Pro's are fantastic heads. It they were just a little larger I'd be playing them as my gamers. They feel super solid and launch with a medium trajectory. They've got a fair bit of bounce and medium wide sole so there is a good bit of forgiveness there. The regular XV, and the high launch version, have a crap ton of offset, particularly in the short irons. As much as I like GI clubs that much offset puts me off. A lot of Acer heads look cloneish in my opinion but the XV's don't, which is one of the reasons I tried them. Golfworks heads are just plain ugly in my opinion, the TE and variants excepted. The TE's are low bounce though and the leading edge is kind of sharp, so I haven't tried them for this reason. My miss is steep so sharp leading edges and low bounce scare me.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

I've tried Maltby DBM and really like them. I think they are quality.

[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway 815 14 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21 - Tensei Pro White 90 S[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Bridgestone J15 DF/CB 5-PW - RIP Tour 90 R[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone J15 50 - Modus 120[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Miura [/color][color=#0000FF]54, 57C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]