The bounce test - does it mean anything at all?

I was hanging out with my hubby tonight after dinner and happened to have two brand new golf balls of different manufacturer and type and decided to drop them from equidistant height of about 2' onto our granite counter in the kitchen. (I had won some and he just ordered some online).

Interestingly one ball was much more lively than the other - meaning it bounced many more times before it came to a roll. It wasn't even close. Not sure what this might mean for either ball - offhand one might think the lively ball would possibly go farther - (but do modern name brand golf balls really have much length difference? - Really?) OR - maybe it's that the less active ball is softer. That's what I think expains it.

What do you all think?

If it's softness being gauged - this is a pretty good unscientific test! :-)

Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

[url="http://www.gatorpromo.com"][img]http://photography.karenengel.com/img/s5/v125/p1690251376-2.jpg[/img][/url]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, assuming everything else is the same, the ball that bounces higher has less energy lost in the elastic deformation that occurs during collision. However, dropping the ball from that height (or any height you can reasonably manage in such a test) is significantly different (much less deformation throughout the ball) from what takes place during impact with a full swing.

My guess is that in such a test, the results are more a reflection of the properties of the cover material (and maybe an outer layer in a multi-layer construction) than the core(s). In a full swing, the properties of the core layers will likely play a much more dominant role and could change the results.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1446714420' post='12555574']
In theory, assuming everything else is the same, the ball that bounces higher has less energy lost in the elastic deformation that occurs during collision. However, dropping the ball from that height (or any height you can reasonably manage in such a test) is significantly different (much less deformation throughout the ball) from what takes place during impact with a full swing.

My guess is that in such a test, the results are more a reflection of the properties of the cover material (and maybe an outer layer in a multi-layer construction) than the core(s). In a full swing, the properties of the core layers will likely play a much more dominant role and could change the results.
[/quote]

SCIENCE!

^^^THIS^^^, Stuart G is the mad scientist, in all seriousness he is really smart and gives very good recommendations.

Ping G400 LS Tec 8.5*, Rogue Silver 125 MSI, Tour S, 44.25"
Ping G410 14.5*, Stock Alta S Flex, 43"
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85S
Callaway Apex X Muscleback 4-P, DG Tour Issue shafts
Callaway X Forged 52, 56, 60-DG Tour Issue shafts
Odyssey #7 stroke lab, 34" oversize grip
Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1

I agree with Stuart G... However add, it could mean one is a distance ball, the other is a 4-5 cover professional ball, which needs more interaction to get its best.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I'd have to agree with Stuart although I would echo the above sentiments that gravity from 2 feet isn't a lot of force.

It has been too long since I have had a good physics class, but ultimately if you think of a driver swing speed of around 100 mph the amount of force compared to your test of the ball accelerating at 9.81 m/s*2 for about 2/3'rds of a meter then there isn't much of a comparison. Probably only activated the cover and the mantle layer of the ball and not really reaching much resistance of the core.

I've also observed that the softer covers and mantle layers make a different sound when they bounce. Ultimately, I would say that the higher bouncing ball in your test is probably a higher compression, but that's tough to say since most of the high speed compression is a result of the core. A soft ball with a surlyn cover might bounce higher in your test than say a high compression ball with a soft urethane cover. Probably one area of the game that your test is more indicative of the general results would be the feel and speed with the putter.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1446750344' post='12557518']
A soft ball with a surlyn cover might bounce higher in your test than say a high compression ball with a soft urethane cover.
[/quote]

I was going to guess the other way around. It's not an absolute by any means (since elastic properties can vary with different materials) but harder could potentially mean less deformation and therefore less energy lost.

So for the OP - are you going to curb our curiosity and tell us the specific balls (or at least the general type) and the results? Or are you going to keep us hanging?

Very simple. If you hit a lot of cart paths, choose the high bouncing ball.

Then you can come on WRX and write about your 300 yard drives like everyone else. HINT: Don't mention the cart path thing.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1446754575' post='12557816']
A soft ball with a surlyn cover might bounce higher in your test than say a high compression ball with a soft urethane cover.
[/quote]

I was going to guess the other way around. It's not an absolute by any means (since elastic properties can vary with different materials) but harder could potentially mean less deformation and therefore less energy lost.

So for the OP - are you going to curb our curiosity and tell us the specific balls (or at least the general type) and the results? Or are you going to keep us hanging?
[/quote]

Great Stuart, now I'm going to have to walk down the stairs to the basement and try it :)

Oddly, I did this a few months back with a bunch of random brands, but I was dropping them at chest level onto cement. I'd be curious to work through the math and figure out what the impact force.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1446769580' post='12558864']
[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1446754575' post='12557816']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great Stuart, now I'm going to have to walk down the stairs to the basement and try it :)

Oddly, I did this a few months back with a bunch of random brands, but I was dropping them at chest level onto cement. I'd be curious to work through the math and figure out what the impact force.
[/quote]

Thats not really hard. Force = mass*acceleration and since the mass of a golf ball and acceleration of gravity are always the same the force will always be the same no matter. F=45.9g*9.81m/s=450.28 gram force= .99 pound force.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1446769580' post='12558864']
[/quote]

You're not alone. I got the same urge to go out to the garage yesterday after work.

[quote name='Jc0' timestamp='1446781006' post='12559742']
Thats not really hard. Force = mass*acceleration and since the mass of a golf ball and acceleration of gravity are always the same the force will always be the same no matter. F=45.9g*9.81m/s=450.28 gram force= .99 pound force.
[/quote]

Actually, F=ma will only tell you the force it exerts on the floor because of gravity when at rest. Although it will also tell us how the ball speeds up before it hits the ground. Just as hint, Impulse force from a collision is related to the change in momentum.

P.S. You're also got the units a bit mixed up. To convert from gm mass to gm force you don't multiply by gravity. 45.9 gm of Mass in std gravity = 45.9 gm Force. The 450.28 is gm-m/s^2 or 0.45028 Newtons.

Here's the reveal -
The higher bounce ball was a Bridgestone E6 (3 pc Surlyn cover) -
The lower bounce ball was the Callaway Chrome Speed - a 4pc Urethane "off market" ball, never actually released by Callaway but discussed quite a bit around here as a sale/closeout ball.

Thanks all for the ideas, interesting stuff but true - no real indication of reaction from the club/ball impact speed variables.

Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

[url="http://www.gatorpromo.com"][img]http://photography.karenengel.com/img/s5/v125/p1690251376-2.jpg[/img][/url]

I always thought bouncing golf balls was ridiculous. As are the comments usually said after the person bounces them. "Oh, this ball is blah blah blah", sure it is! :lol:

SIM 2 10.5˚ GD IZ-6
SIM 15˚ GD DI-7
SIM 19˚ GD DI-85
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW Modus 120
MG Hi-Toe 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ DG 120
Spider Tour-X
TP5
Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread but did some testing last night via a 'drop test' and figured I'd post my findings.

Note: if two balls rebounded at the same height i let them bounce until i saw a difference.

From highest rebound to lowest:

1) Volvik Crystal

2) Callaway Supersoft

3) Srixon Soft Feel (it took about 3 bounces for the Supersoft to bounce higher)

3) Noodle Spin - it at the Soft Feel tied

4) Top Flite Gamer V2

5) Bridgestone Lady Precept (took about 6 bounces to get higher than the Chrome Soft)

6) Callaway Chrome Soft 15'

7) Volvik Vibe

8) Pro V (older version with a dot and line in alignment aid)

9) Pro V (older version with just a line in alignment)

10) Pro V (newer version)

11) B330 RX (2015)

12) Volvik Vista

The Crystal is a 3pc mid compression ball and seems to be an outlier. I would have expected it to be around 4th or 5th.

The rest seem to have bounced according to their compression (i.e. the Supersoft being lowest compression followed by the rest of the surlyn balls, moving into the low compression urethane balls to the high compression urethanes). The only 4pc ball is the Vista and it rebounded the least.

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Trilogy 5h / Xrail 5h -1"

Cobra T-Rail 6-GW

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56/60/64

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

Lately I have been testing various golf balls in search of the right "winter" ball.

The first test is the bouncing test off concrete garage floor. You will be surprised that each ball has own bouncing sound. Usually low pitch sound balls are low compression surlyn balls. They usually bounce off higher than urethane tour balls. I dropped balls from 5 feet.

Bounce Ranking (few days ago)

1. Maxfli Softfli

2. Wilson Duo

3. Srixon Soft Feel

4. Tm Project a

5. Snell Get Some

6. Snell MTB

7. Titleist Prov1

8. Callaway Hex Chrome +

9. Top Flite Gamer Tour

After bouncing test, I conducted putting test to see how soft it feels off putter.

Putting Test (softest to hardest)

1. Wilson Duo

2. Maxfli Softfli

3. Srixon Soft Feel

4. TM Project a

5. TF Gamer Tour

6. Snell Get Some

7. Titleist Prov1

8. Callaway Hex Chrome +

9. Snell MTB

Then complete Field Test consisting driving, iron, wedge and chipping to follow. The test was done with my friend.

1. Snell MTB

2. TM Project a

3. Titleist Prov1

4. Snell Get Some

5. Srixon Soft Feel

6. Wilson Duo

7. Maxfli Softfli

8. Callaway Hex Chrome+

9. TF Gamer Tour

Yes indeed somewhat odd mox of balls were tested. I am trying to point out that you gotta teat all around to figure out your favorite ball. I had high expectation on Softfli and Gamer Tour. It was very clear through field test that they weren't for us.