Wilson Duo Urethane

bigsting

[quote name='bigsting' timestamp='1447411150' post='12593366']
That's pretty dumb. They are available on the shelf (in Aus). Why wouldn't they release them in a similar time frame in the U.S.? I'll stick with the Cally CS since I got a big stack. I was just interested if anyone had tried them. I'm not buying a box because I have 6 doz CS @ $27, compared to the current price of $49 for the duo urethane (FG tours are $39) so it'd want to be good.
[/quote]

Remember that Australia is just beginning their season now (it's Spring there), while a lot of the Northern Hemisphere is entering late fall and winter weather. Do you want to release a ball at a time when few people are playing?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1447585639' post='12601046']
Saw these at the store today. They feel soft and sticky rubbing two of them together. Don't really like the graphics, just plain black writing and numbers. Not that cheap either. I'll stick with chrome soft for now.
[/quote]

How much is not cheap? And where did you find them?

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

[quote name='Lefty431' timestamp='1447591380' post='12601182']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1447585639' post='12601046']
Saw these at the store today. They feel soft and sticky rubbing two of them together. Don't really like the graphics, just plain black writing and numbers. Not that cheap either. I'll stick with chrome soft for now.
[/quote]

How much is not cheap? And where did you find them?
[/quote]
$44 at Drummonds.

So that's 44 Aud... So about $30 US?? I guess I will have to wait and see!! Thanks for the info!!

We'll see these out at the January golf show. It will compete directly with the Chrome soft both on the course and at the market. Those wishing for <$30, sorry. I think this will be a great product by Wilson as will be their new irons. The buzz I'm hearing about them has me doing something I haven't done in years - itching to hit new Wilson irons.

They have made a great turnaround. Reminds me of Lionel Trains, great, sold to big interest, made crap, sold and used their name from the past to make a comeback. I play the first newer FG Tour Cavity back irons, still love them. They have never hit a bad shot, that would be me. Looking forward to the M5 clubs in the spring. Oh and also can't wait for the ball, know anyone interested in 30 doz U4, 19doz U3, or 25 doz U6 LC? :)

[quote name='arbeck' timestamp='1447517454' post='12598338']
[quote name='bigsting' timestamp='1447411150' post='12593366']
That's pretty dumb. They are available on the shelf (in Aus). Why wouldn't they release them in a similar time frame in the U.S.? I'll stick with the Cally CS since I got a big stack. I was just interested if anyone had tried them. I'm not buying a box because I have 6 doz CS @ $27, compared to the current price of $49 for the duo urethane (FG tours are $39) so it'd want to be good.
[/quote]

Remember that Australia is just beginning their season now (it's Spring there), while a lot of the Northern Hemisphere is entering late fall and winter weather. Do you want to release a ball at a time when few people are playing?
[/quote]
Not trying to rub it in, but we don't have a season here, we play golf year round. On real cold winter days I wear long pants and may need a vest if I have an early tee time, but generally I wear shorts and a light shirt year round.

[quote name='AILD' timestamp='1448210999' post='12631292']
I will give this ball a try next season. Two seasons ago I really enjoyed playing the Duo. Tried the Duo Spin, and like some of the posts here said, the spin was a little dull, especially for the price. But yeah, I'd love to see how it does out there around the greens.
[/quote]

It's difficult to justify marketing a non-urethane ball as a "spin" variant, imo. There just isn't enough difference between surlyn balls - unless we're talking about the difference between the hardest distance ball and softest/spinniest surlyn. And even beyond that threshold, you have urethanes - the true "spin" balls.

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1448223420' post='12631974']

It's difficult to justify marketing a non-urethane ball as a "spin" variant, imo. There just isn't enough difference between surlyn balls - unless we're talking about the difference between the hardest distance ball and softest/spinniest surlyn. And even beyond that threshold, you have urethanes - the true "spin" balls.[/quote]

Absolutely agree, my expectations weren't high knowing it was essentially a surlyn cover. There's only so much spin those 3 piece, non urethane balls can provide.

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1448141441' post='12628816']
We'll see these out at the January golf show. It will compete directly with the Chrome soft both on the course and at the market. Those wishing for <$30, sorry. I think this will be a great product by Wilson as will be their new irons. The buzz I'm hearing about them has me doing something I haven't done in years - itching to hit new Wilson irons.
[/quote]

Sub $30 doesn't make sense but it shouldn't be far over. The Duo is ~$20, the DuoSpin is ~$26, if the DuoU is around $32 I'll try it.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

[quote name='Stillboard' timestamp='1448517063' post='12647840']
[/quote]

Sub $30 doesn't make sense but it shouldn't be far over. The Duo is ~$20, the DuoSpin is ~$26, if the DuoU is around $32 I'll try it.
[/quote]

That would be nice, but I expect it to be right around the Chromesoft, price wise. If it's less, great, but I think the Duo will be every bit as good a ball as the CS, if not better.

The Duo would be perfect platform to condense Wilson lines...

Duo
Duo Spin
Duo Urethane
Duo Staff
Duo Staff X

See how I did that! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1448549075' post='12648588']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be nice, but I expect it to be right around the Chromesoft, price wise. If it's less, great, but I think the Duo will be every bit as good a ball as the CS, if not better.
[/quote]

I don't believe the Duo will be successful competing at the same price point as the Chrome Soft. I think it has to be $5 to $10 less with same (or better) performance. I think at the same price point, most would choose Callaway. Although I wouldn't. :)

[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1448550143' post='12648658']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't believe the Duo will be successful competing at the same price point as the Chrome Soft. I think it has to be $5 to $10 less with same (or better) performance. I think at the same price point, most would choose Callaway. Although I wouldn't. :)
[/quote]

I believe you are right... Wilson will have to make it a bit cheaper!

If it were my call, yeah, I would price it just under the competition at first. We'll see in January what the price is.

I don't know how it will play from tee to green vs. the CS, but judging by putter feel and wedge bounce, Wilson may have the better ball and that might be enough to make a nice dent in the market.

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1448567201' post='12649788']
If it were my call, yeah, I would price it just under the competition at first. We'll see in January what the price is.

I don't know how it will play from tee to green vs. the CS, but judging by putter feel and wedge bounce, Wilson may have the better ball and that might be enough to make a nice dent in the market.
[/quote]
From what I've seen in Australia it will be higher priced than the CS, which imo will mean it will flop. The CS has built up a strong following, Wilson will have to beat them on price to have any chance of getting some market share.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1448568280' post='12649858']
From what I've seen in Australia it will be higher priced than the CS, which imo will mean it will flop. The CS has built up a strong following, Wilson will have to beat them on price to have any chance of getting some market share.
[/quote]

I think the Wilson will be a really good ball on its own merit, so whether it's a couple dollars more, or a couple dollars less than the chromesoft, I doubt that will make or break the success of the ball. I would think Wilson has a target number for units sold and that will determine the relative success of the ball, not the amount of market share it takes from the chromesoft. That said, I don't expect it to cost more than the CS in the United States.

I saw these in a two pack at a store that I frequent here in michigan and asked the manger what he thought of them he said that they are going to replace the fg tour model with the Duo U. It is a 3 piece ball and it looks interesting. Cant wait to hear how they feel by the manager.

Cobra F8 12 degrees A flex
Mizuno F 40 16 degree A flex

Wilson Launch Pad 19.5 hybrid A flex

Cobra F6 Hybrid 25.5 A flex
Cobra F6 6 iron  A flex

Cleveland UHX Launcher Irons 7-GWn 2 degrees flat A Flex
Tour Edge Exotics 58 2 degrees flat A flex

Golf Works TSI wedge 54 degrees 2 degrees flat A flex 
Mack Made putter custom 33"
Srixon Soft Feel and Srixon Q Star tour 

Here is my mini review of the Duo U ball. Local course had a 2 pack the rep left and I played 9 holes with it! Low 60s today with a slight breeze. Right off noticed the ball feels firmer than regular Duo. 55 vs 35 I believe but it feels much firmer off the woods, firm but not as much as off the woods. Very soft off the putter face and had some roll out off the wedges, this could be attributed to firm greens. Given the price point, I'm not sold on this ball yet. I'll stick to my Duo and PG for now although I do use the Lady Precept in cooler temps. Today was shorts and a short sleeve wind shirt! I'll try it again next time out for a better review.

[quote name='wings65' timestamp='1448642667' post='12652598']
I saw these in a two pack at a store that I frequent here in michigan and asked the manger what he thought of them he said that they are going to replace the fg tour model with the Duo U. It is a 3 piece ball and it looks interesting. Cant wait to hear how they feel by the manager.
[/quote]

This sounds legit if the DuoU is a three piece... I am pretty psyched to try these as I have loved the previous generation DUOs. Not so much the DUO spin, though. Haven't found it to outperform the DUO for me. I seem to actually hit it worse... but because of the DUO, I will try anything W/S puts out. I have also liked the FG Tours.. great feeling and performing ball. Hopefully the price is right on the DuoU.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I finally got to test these today on course from the 2 ball trail pack I was lucky enough to get my hands on. From around 30 yards the Duo Urethane stops very quickly. I actually chipped one in on a par 3 for birdie! Feel is as expected for the Duo. Wasn't hitting the driver well so I didn't test off the tee with the driver. But very impressed with the performance around the greens and from 50 yards and in. Depending on price when it comes out it will give the Chrome Soft a run for the money. (Hopefully Yellow too) If you are looking for soft feel, spin, distance and durable cover you need to put this ball on your list to test.
I haven't got to test Snell My Tour Ball, hoping to be able to do this soon. But price point will make all the difference since none of us wants to pay over $40 a dozen for balls.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

[quote name='Lefty431' timestamp='1448550857' post='12648708']
[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1448550143' post='12648658']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe you are right... Wilson will have to make it a bit cheaper!
[/quote]
I tested the Duo U against the CS today on course. The Duo U spins stops better around the greens than the CS. Heard they were changing the CS to have more spin around the greens when the new verison comes out in 2016. It will be Callaway's only tour ball. Also, heard price will be $39.99 a dozen for CS.
Wilson will have to be priced lower and have exact performance against CS to get people to switch to the Duo U. Just my 2 cents.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

Still yet another ball I feel it is my duty to check out in my never ending pursuit for the Holy Grail of golf balls.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

Had the chance to play this ball from 60yds in, last weekend and the word I'm going to use to describe it is luscious. Soft, but substantial. Not springy, like some other low compression balls. It is obviously of a higher compression than the regular Duo, Supersoft, etc., but that is not a bad thing, imo. I hit a variety of pitches, chips and putts, and preferred the Duo Urethane unanimously compared to the other balls I was hitting; PV1X, TPX, Gamer Tour, Chromesoft - even my current favorite, B330. I still have to see how well it works for me off the tee. It would be a shame if I found a deal breaker there because otherwise, this seems to be an ideal ball.

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1449069063' post='12671242']
Had the chance to play this ball from 60yds in, last weekend and[b] the word I'm going to use to describe it is luscious. Soft, but substantial. Not springy[/b], like some other low compression balls. It is obviously of a higher compression than the regular Duo, Supersoft, etc., but that is not a bad thing, imo. I hit a variety of pitches, chips and putts, and preferred the Duo Urethane unanimously compared to the other balls I was hitting; PV1X, TPX, Gamer Tour, Chromesoft - even my current favorite, B330. I still have to see how well it works for me off the tee. It would be a shame if I found a deal breaker there because otherwise, this seems to be an ideal ball.
[/quote]

I really like the sound of that.

Thanks to all who have reviewed it. Big Wilson fan here, so I hope it hits it big.

I can see Wilson pricing the ball too high, though. They did the same thing with the 2014 FG Tour. Which is sad, because I never even tried it, and I'm as big a Wilson fan as anybody. I used the previous FG Tour many times, and the yellow version might be my favorite ball ever. But $40 for the 2014 version was simply too much when so many tour-level urethanes can be found for $25 or under on sale.

I can only assume it's a marketing attempt to re-establish themselves as a premium brand, and to some degree I understand that. But come on guys. You can have too much of a good thing.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV