True Temper X7

KPH808

From what I am told the x7 is a different step pattern / design than the x1s , so HS an X1 to attempt to get to x7 isn't apples to apples

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

You have a bit more speed than I do. I'm at 124-127 with the driver. I actually tried a set of X7 hard stepped. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. They just felt stiff and harsh with no gain in any manner over the standard install. I currently play C-TAPER 130x and find the two shafts pretty comparable in overall distance, c-taper actually being a bit lower spin, with the DG Tour hitting a bit lower in terms of trajectory. Hard stepping them does nothing but make them feel worse.

Great information, straight in it is!

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard rumors that you can order them through MOTO Titleist. I have not heard anyone else.

Brad, did you ever have the x7's in a set of mp64's

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I've heard rumors that you can order them through MOTO Titleist. I have not heard anyone else.

I do. Looking for general stuff or Brad specific?

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I do. Looking for general stuff or Brad specific?

General , I just saw you did, lay the knowledge and experience on me , thanks

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

General huh? Well, you already know the shafts. For me they launch and spin the lowest over CTaper X, X100 and PX. They also feel the best but that's purely subjective. I tried the MP64 in the CTaper X and they were fine. Performed well but I had to go back to the X7 due to the tips bending on the CTapers after light use and very little of it was off of mats.

Regarding the 64s, I'm coming from MP60, then 62. The only thing that got me to leave the 62 was the 64. I bent the 6-PW weak to match the 62 lofts I was used to. I should throw in that every now and then I'm asked by some Mizuno folks to be a tech rep, so on occasion I'll take them up and just work for gear, not money. I've hit everything Mizuno in the last 8 or so years. The 64s are something special. The feel is amazing. Certainly softer (not better or worse, just softer) than the Titleist MB you're playing. Like hitting a warm meatball- and who doesn't love warm meatballs? Relatively forgiving for what it is. The sole grind glides through, but I'm not a digger so I can't comment there. More of a sweeper taking shallow divots. The only thing I don't like, and it's a known Mizuno flaw, is the size of the scoring irons (8-PW). To fix this, I got the MP4 in 8-PW and now it's perfect. To be fair, other than the scoring irons being too big for my eye, they were stupidly easy to hit. Overall, they're an absolute pleasure. I look forward to hitting them if their number is called.

I just tossed a bunch of stuff at the wall for you. I hope that answered some of what you're looking for. If not, shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

General huh? Well, you already know the shafts. For me they launch and spin the lowest over CTaper X, X100 and PX. They also feel the best but that's purely subjective. I tried the MP64 in the CTaper X and they were fine. Performed well but I had to go back to the X7 due to the tips bending on the CTapers after light use and very little of it was off of mats.

Regarding the 64s, I'm coming from MP60, then 62. The only thing that got me to leave the 62 was the 64. I bent the 6-PW weak to match the 62 lofts I was used to. I should throw in that every now and then I'm asked by some Mizuno folks to be a tech rep, so on occasion I'll take them up and just work for gear, not money. I've hit everything Mizuno in the last 8 or so years. The 64s are something special. The feel is amazing. Certainly softer (not better or worse, just softer) than the Titleist MB you're playing. Like hitting a warm meatball- and who doesn't love warm meatballs? Relatively forgiving for what it is. The sole grind glides through, but I'm not a digger so I can't comment there. More of a sweeper taking shallow divots. The only thing I don't like, and it's a known Mizuno flaw, is the size of the scoring irons (8-PW). To fix this, I got the MP4 in 8-PW and now it's perfect. To be fair, other than the scoring irons being too big for my eye, they were stupidly easy to hit. Overall, they're an absolute pleasure. I look forward to hitting them if their number is called.

I just tossed a bunch of stuff at the wall for you. I hope that answered some of what you're looking for. If not, shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Direct hit, thanks , I too feel the 64's are easy point and shoot irons

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

+1 on the soft feel of the 64

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 8 months later...

Reviving an old one. Had a fitting where I got good numbers from an X7. Didn't even know the fitter had one and never would have gravitated to it on my own. My question is if others can share their swing speed with mid irons and/or help me think through mine. 7 iron is range of 93 to 96, average of 94. Backswing is short and a pretty quick and fluid transition with a decent amount of lag. X7 seemed to be the only thing that kept spin down. Not the longest for me, but felt solid and accurate.

Any thoughts on that swing speed and how it might equate to X7? Thinking about maybe soft stepping. I have a little trouble figuring how I'd play a stiffer shaft than Dustin Johnson does. But it sure did feel good.

EDIT: scratch golfer wanting to place emphasis on accuracy if that matters.

Reviving an old one. Had a fitting where I got good numbers from an X7. Didn't even know the fitter had one and never would have gravitated to it on my own. My question is if others can share their swing speed with mid irons and/or help me think through mine. 7 iron is range of 93 to 96, average of 94. Backswing is short and a pretty quick and fluid transition with a decent amount of lag. X7 seemed to be the only thing that kept spin down. Not the longest for me, but felt solid and accurate.

Any thoughts on that swing speed and how it might equate to X7? Thinking about maybe soft stepping. I have a little trouble figuring how I'd play a stiffer shaft than Dustin Johnson does. But it sure did feel good.

I’ll follow along. I’m about a 109mph 6 iron (1/2” long) and currently play the C Taper X stiff and looking for more stability and a little less spin. From your description out swing is very similar, not quite parallel and fluid but with speed at the bottom. I’m actually trying to find a fitter that carries the X7 and PX 7.0 to try but can’t find them anywhere.

I’ll follow along. I’m about a 109mph 6 iron (1/2” long) and currently play the C Taper X stiff and looking for more stability and a little less spin. From your description out swing is very similar, not quite parallel and fluid but with speed at the bottom. I’m actually trying to find a fitter that carries the X7 and PX 7.0 to try but can’t find them anywhere.

Yeah I'd say at 109 then you might as well just order a set and move on. I'm at least 10 mph lower so am sure I'm much more borderline. I can tell you they feel great. Just a beefier X100.

Yeah I'd say at 109 then you might as well just order a set and move on. I'm at least 10 mph lower so am sure I'm much more borderline. I can tell you they feel great. Just a beefier X100.

Ya I’m on the fence between the X7 and PX 7.0. I’ve never hit either and have heard there isn’t much difference. I had a taylormade rep suggest the 7.0 as the beefiest/most sable shady out there and others suggest the X7. I’d love to hit them before purchasing but most likely will order one of them if I can’t find a demo.

FWIW (not much, to be honest), I tried them in TCannon's 8 iron when I went to Minnesota in August, and was swinging well on the range that day. The flight looked like that of a 5 iron on pure strikes - the harshness combined with that made me realize I'm not even close to playing these monsters!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

115 driver / 104 2i / 98-96 7i

Had / played dg x7 , x100 , c taper x ; built a Test iron with a 7.0 px

Px 7.0 I didn’t like the kick pt on the shaft hence the feel but it did the job

X100 - I could play , most workable out of them all , I think of your a good ball striker these are going handle all the work you need

Getting into the gorilla gear

C taper x - had two sets and are my current gamers

Def do the job on spin control and are VERY straigh - i like the tapers in a wedge better than DG

Dgx7- if chuck Norris played Golf he’d have a dg x7 in his putter

I do not feel they are overly stiff but there is some static weight to them over others. Play my irons 1-2 weak for the sh*ts and giggles I put a 5 iron at std loft and the spin was so low I had trouble holding greens to a par 5

+100000 lowest launching of them all but still a geat feeling irons

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

X100 - I could play , most workable out of them all , I think of your a good ball striker these are going handle all the work you need

Def do the job on spin control and are VERY straigh - i like the tapers in a wedge better than DG

I do not feel they are overly stiff but there is some static weight to them over others. Play my irons 1-2 weak for the sh*ts and giggles I put a 5 iron at std loft and the spin was so low I had trouble holding greens to a par 5

So would you say the X7 launched lower than the PX 7.0? I’ve heard it launches lower and spins less than the 7.0. And I have heard multiple times now that people can’t stand the PX 7.0 feel. I think I might as the C Taper doesn’t feel overly strong and my recent 3 wood has an ATMOS 8tx black tipped 2” and it feels perfect. So I’m guessing I lean on the side of enjoying a very stiff feel.

So I’m still trying to find a demo in California or just build up clubs of my own to test. That may be my best bet I guess.

Play the x7 currently, have had 3 sets of ctaper 130x, 2 sets of px 7.0 and 6.5. Have had nippon 120tx and nippon prototype c10 shafts as well...

driver speed 118 - 122

7i 95-98

High ball hitter, heavy loader, mid spin player was looking for accuracy and flight control.

PX 7.0 - PRO - Has flat flight with loow spin; through the bag low as DGx7. VERY straight as well. CONS - feel due to kickpoint is poor but can adjust. Partial shots is where the shaft fell apart - you have to be more aggressive for the ball to spin with the butt being so stiff theres not much action on less than full swings.

C-taper 130x - Same as above with better feel....longest of the shafts tested and GREAT in wedges

DGX7 - different makeup than the above shafts with a firm but and stouter mid and tip; it feels much smoother than PX and while being straight spins on partial shots which was my tiebreaker with the ctaper shafts.

After testing it all I know these are the best shaft out there for a player swinging faster than 90 with 7i with agressive load. More active hand players with bring in the other shafts in play since the PX and C-tpaer impart less sidespin with the stiffer butt sections

Feel is of course completely subjective, but to me the 7.0 feels basically unplayable. 6.5 feels stiffer to me than the X7. 6.0 is the stiffest PX model I could reasonably play. C taper X feels just fine to me though. Who knows.

I agree about the C-taper 'X'. It doesn't feel/play anywhere near as stiff as a PX 6.5/7.0,....despite what any butt frequency measurements may show

So would you say the X7 launched lower than the PX 7.0? I’ve heard it launches lower and spins less than the 7.0. And I have heard multiple times now that people can’t stand the PX 7.0 feel. I think I might as the C Taper doesn’t feel overly strong and my recent 3 wood has an ATMOS 8tx black tipped 2” and it feels perfect. So I’m guessing I lean on the side of enjoying a very stiff feel.

So I’m still trying to find a demo in California or just build up clubs of my own to test. That may be my best bet I guess.

Def dg x7 lower than 7.0

Post above on the partials is right on IMOP made me move away from the x7 and the c taper in the wedges I like better

X7 has that sixth gear if needed or are hammering on iron shots

Tapers and x7 most I find like those don’t like px7.0 and vise versa

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I'm going to do a little more testing with X100 and X7 this week. Probably leaning toward X100, but also seems like X7 soft-stepped could do the trick and maybe offer a little less spin. I agree with what others have said above re: C-Taper and PX...I don't care what the readings are, C-Taper feel lightyears smoother to me than PX. I had PX 7.0 for a while. They were awful.

Seems like the common consensus is...

PX 7.0 feel awful, need to be swung aggressively, reduce spin but still launch moderately high (in relative terms for the shafts being discussed)

X7 seems to launch and spin lower, feel better to most, and can be swung slower/half shots and still spin. Sort of a blend between X100 and PX 7.0

I play the C Taper X stiff and have no real complaints just border on the edge of too much spin. Mostly if I lose a shot it’s spinny and very high. In no way do they feel boardy and have had X100 that feels very loose to me. Have been on track man hitting a 6 iron 180 feet high that carries about 210y and the “optimize” function says I should be carrying the 6 iron 225. Everything is lost to height and mostly spin. Obviously impact position needs to be sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Stage thought you where insane putting x7 into a wedge, but did it with a 60 and #loveit

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 5 months later...

I’ve just read this entire thread. There is some excellent info in here and I’m glad I’m not alone when it comes to having X7s on the radar. I just switched from X100 to C-taper 130x straight in. I have no issues with these shafts and the feel is acceptable in my books. Rip for rip, the C-taper will carry further due to their higher launch and lower spin characteristics over an X100. C-tapers are bullet straight in comparison to X100s also.

My question for the X7 guys with launch monitor data:

- did you see an increase or decrease in ball speeds numbers?

- did you see an increase or decrease in carry distance?

With respect to the above questions ideally I’d like to see guys who have tested X100, C-taper, 7.0 etc

I’m tempted to build a 2nd set of irons with X7s. I’d probably soft step once. I’m a decently fast SS player (118 -120 driver, 96-98 6i) however I live in Canada...sometimes I play golf in layers due to lower outdoor temps come fall. I don’t want a shaft I’m unable to load when it’s cold (and so am I)

Thanks!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

I've just read this entire thread. There is some excellent info in here and I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to having X7s on the radar. I just switched from X100 to C-taper 130x straight in. I have no issues with these shafts and the feel is acceptable in my books. Rip for rip, the C-taper will carry further due to their higher launch and lower spin characteristics over an X100. C-tapers are bullet straight in comparison to X100s also.

With respect to the above questions ideally I'd like to see guys who have tested X100, C-taper, 7.0 etc

I'm tempted to build a 2nd set of irons with X7s. I'd probably soft step once. I'm a decently fast SS player (118 -120 driver, 96-98 6i) however I live in Canada...sometimes I play golf in layers due to lower outdoor temps come fall. I don't want a shaft I'm unable to load when it's cold (and so am I)

Thanks!

Shafts don't carry blended characteristics. C-Tapers (for example) don't launch high and spin low. Any such result carries some kind of influence from your swing and impact conditions.

I've swung all the clubs you've listed. If you don't like X100's, it is probably the profile that you don't get along with. DG is softer in the grip end and stronger in the tip. Kind of the opposite of KBS Tour and Modus 130, which you may like better and may be more usable in cold weather.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I've just read this entire thread. There is some excellent info in here and I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to having X7s on the radar. I just switched from X100 to C-taper 130x straight in. I have no issues with these shafts and the feel is acceptable in my books. Rip for rip, the C-taper will carry further due to their higher launch and lower spin characteristics over an X100. C-tapers are bullet straight in comparison to X100s also.

With respect to the above questions ideally I'd like to see guys who have tested X100, C-taper, 7.0 etc

I'm tempted to build a 2nd set of irons with X7s. I'd probably soft step once. I'm a decently fast SS player (118 -120 driver, 96-98 6i) however I live in Canada...sometimes I play golf in layers due to lower outdoor temps come fall. I don't want a shaft I'm unable to load when it's cold (and so am I)

Thanks!

Shafts don't carry blended characteristics. C-Tapers (for example) don't launch high and spin low. Any such result carries some kind of influence from your swing and impact conditions.

I've swung all the clubs you've listed. If you don't like X100's, it is probably the profile that you don't get along with. DG is softer in the grip end and stronger in the tip. Kind of the opposite of KBS Tour and Modus 130, which you may like better and may be more usable in cold weather.

100% agree on your characteristics comment. I should have clarified. I own a launch monitor and for me the C-taper launch higher and spin less. This results in more carry.

As for X100s I actually like them. Some of the reasons I’m testing them out (C-taper) is to lower spin which will help cut through the nasty winds we get out here. So far this is true. I also wasn’t against picking up some yardage on my irons. Like others have mentioned I’ve found that when you go after an X100 for those extra yards the shaft just doesn’t deliver. The C-taper does.

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

Thanks!

100% agree on your characteristics comment. I should have clarified. I own a launch monitor and for me the C-taper launch higher and spin less. This results in more carry.

As for X100s I actually like them. Some of the reasons I'm testing them out (C-taper) is to lower spin which will help cut through the nasty winds we get out here. So far this is true. I also wasn't against picking up some yardage on my irons. Like others have mentioned I've found that when you go after an X100 for those extra yards the shaft just doesn't deliver. The C-taper does.

I get you. For me, DG is a great choice if you maneuver shots or flight them different ways. Also nice to have some weight in the hands.

DriverWedge (my buddy from earlier in this thread) used to play C-Tapers, and moved away from them when all the tips bent inside the heads. Just something the keep in mind as the bending has happened to other members here as well. Otherwise, whenever I have tried them, they were great for just point and shoot kind of playing. Not a great compliment to a forged iron head, in my opinion anyway, so I never used them in a regular set. I have always liked PX, so long as I was in the right frequency. One of my favorite shafts all-time is the PX Satins. For some reason they seemed to blend back in some feel (despite True Temper claiming they are the same shaft as the non-Satin), but good luck finding a set these days. PX like to be swung hard in my opinion. That is one of the great things about X7's, is that (at least in my limited experience) they could be swung hard, knocked down spin, and still yielded reasonably good feel.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I tried the x7 in ping iblades and i200 @ ping in Phoenix and they were the most spinny and highest launching shafts I hit. (Between ctaper modus 125 and 130 x100 px7.0) I am pretty high launch and spin and Was super excited to finally try some x7s on a trackman and I left surprised by that. So was the fitter. He couldn't explain it. I always felt like I hit boardier shafts higher and spinnier but trackman backed it up. Anyone know what that would be?

Thanks!

As i have posted about X7 in another thread, I was fitting here in Canada for DG X7s in my Srixon Z745 irons.

I came from playing KBS Tour X and prior to that, was playing C taper 130X in Mizuno MP64's

In the fitting session,

TI X100: Spun a bit too much and launched much higher than anticipated

Nippon SPB: Came closest to X7 in front of feel (which i know if subjective and this is my opinion) and the overall results.

We never went to PX's as i do not like the feel of PX shafts. In the end, the X7's won hands down. It led to an increase in ball speed/reduction in spin (i have a very late release) and distance and the dispersion numbers were off the charts good.

I have had few rounds with them and i have never hit the irons better than this year!

I tried the x7 in ping iblades and i200 @ ping in Phoenix and they were the most spinny and highest launching shafts I hit. (Between ctaper modus 125 and 130 x100 px7.0) I am pretty high launch and spin and Was super excited to finally try some x7s on a trackman and I left surprised by that. So was the fitter. He couldn't explain it. I always felt like I hit boardier shafts higher and spinnier but trackman backed it up. Anyone know what that would be?

Probably just the dynamic gold bend profile and characteristics with your delivery pattern. As some have said for the really higher speed guys (125+) there isn’t a ton of difference between these and the x100’s. I think where the difference shows up is someone with not quite the heat or delivery pattern to handle them. Jason Day still hits moonballs with these things and has one of the highest apex’s on tour but with just slightly lower spin.

Probably just the dynamic gold bend profile and characteristics with your delivery pattern. As some have said for the really higher speed guys (125+) there isn't a ton of difference between these and the x100's. I think where the difference shows up is someone with not quite the heat or delivery pattern to handle them. Jason Day still hits moonballs with these things and has one of the highest apex's on tour but with just slightly lower spin.

Effectively, that is what i see with my X7's. My Apex went up vs. KBS and the spin went down