Element 29 Finish from Putter Lounge

Has anyone placed an order for the Element 29 finish from Putter Lounge? It Iooks like a phenomenal finish for a Newport 2 I'm working on. If you have, I would love to see some photos.

Also, does anyone know how this is done? Is it a Casswell's type darkener? I am intrigued by the glossy, satin, and matte finishes.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a torched finished, pretty simple to do, it has been polished/sanded smooth before torching.

Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

It was a fun project earlier this year.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1447354490' post='12590016']
This is a torched finished, pretty simple to do, it has been polished/sanded smooth before torching.
[/quote]

Oneaugusta, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've seen quite a few of your projects on here and I'm impressed every time. Referencing the above picture, how difficult would you say it is to attain the consistent and even color of that torch job? With your experience, what would you say is the trick to getting that consistent of a finish? Is it the prep work, or a precise temperature and even heat?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant

[quote name='alexdub' timestamp='1447519043' post='12598418']
[/quote]

Oneaugusta, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've seen quite a few of your projects on here and I'm impressed every time. Referencing the above picture, how difficult would you say it is to attain the consistent and even color of that torch job? With your experience, what would you say is the trick to getting that consistent of a finish? Is it the prep work, or a precise temperature and even heat?
[/quote]What you said "all of the above", include being spotlessly clean, I adopted cleaning 3 times including all nooks crannies seams etc. with no less than 90% alcohol and using gloves as not to leave skin oil.

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1447523266' post='12598572']
[quote name='alexdub' timestamp='1447519043' post='12598418']
[/quote]

[/quote]What you said "all of the above", include being spotlessly clean, I adopted cleaning 3 times including all nooks crannies seams etc. with no less than 90% alcohol and using gloves as not to leave skin oil.
[/quote]
^This

Regardless of the metal prep, matte, satin, polished, etc, make sure the head is CLEAN prior to torching.

Also, if you're new to torching, the best tip other than cleaning, is to keep the torching moving at all times and to keep is at a consistent distance away from the putter head.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hiss' timestamp='1447994878' post='12622762']You shine the stainless to a very high shine and then heated evenly

This is one I did

[attachment=3039084:TP_Mills_Gold_Putter_003.jpg]

one done in Satin

[attachment=3039086:0114141550.jpg][/quote]

That Mills is beautiful!

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

Here was my attempt at this finish. In the sunlight, the gold pops a lot more than the photos show. Overall, I think it turned out pretty cool. Had some more pictures, but the file loader doesn't want to cooperate.

[attachment=3061612:sc1.jpg]

[attachment=3061610:sc2.jpg]

I don't think my 1st post has pics.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='alexdub' timestamp='1449783933' post='12704630']
Here was my attempt at this finish. In the sunlight, the gold pops a lot more than the photos show. Overall, I think it turned out pretty cool. Had some more pictures, but the file loader doesn't want to cooperate.

[attachment=3061612:sc1.jpg]

[attachment=3061610:sc2.jpg]
[/quote]

This looks great man. How did you achieve the finish? Just torching? I know you said it is more gold in the sun, but is this a darker finish? Any chance of an outdoor pic?

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Crestgolf Multi-Compound grips +1/32
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke GT 1.0
Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3-Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

I'm dealing with a snowstorm out here in Utah, so it might be a little bit before I can get an outside picture.

To get the color, I just made sure to get it as shiny and spotless as possible pre-torch. My sandpaper steps were 220-500-1000-1200, and I finished it off with a buffing bit on a drill. After that, I did several cleanings with 100% acetone using an old t-shirt, using gloves after each cleaning. For torching, I just kept the flame moving pretty quick. Getting to gold is pretty quick on a Scotty—it probably wasn't even 10 minutes. I let the putter air dry, and finished it off with a wire brush and scotch pad to even it out. I used Testors model paint for the paint fill, but I think I'm done with Testors—I've been getting better results lately with high quality nail polish.

[quote name='alexdub' timestamp='1450147219' post='12721566']
I'm dealing with a snowstorm out here in Utah, so it might be a little bit before I can get an outside picture.

To get the color, I just made sure to get it as shiny and spotless as possible pre-torch. My sandpaper steps were 220-500-1000-1200, and I finished it off with a buffing bit on a drill. After that, I did several cleanings with 100% acetone using an old t-shirt, using gloves after each cleaning. For torching, I just kept the flame moving pretty quick. Getting to gold is pretty quick on a Scotty—it probably wasn't even 10 minutes. I let the putter air dry, and finished it off with a wire brush and scotch pad to even it out. I used Testors model paint for the paint fill, but I think I'm done with Testors—I've been getting better results lately with high quality nail polish.
[/quote]

So that was sanded to almost a mirror shine? It looks like a matte finish to me. Is it actually a golden color? It looks almost antique bronze.

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Crestgolf Multi-Compound grips +1/32
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke GT 1.0
Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3-Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

[quote name='mvhoffman' timestamp='1450153436' post='12721932']
[quote name='alexdub' timestamp='1450147219' post='12721566']

[/quote]

So that was sanded to almost a mirror shine? It looks like a matte finish to me. Is it actually a golden color? It looks almost antique bronze.
[/quote]

I sanded to a near-mirror shine and then went over it with a wire brush. This gave it the "brushed" look—halfway between matte and mirror. The color is very similar to the Scotty I posted at the top of this thread, but not quite as shiny. Since this was my fist time ever—literally—of torching a putter, I have a lot of improvement to make. You can see a purple hot spot on the hosel, and there are a few minor color variations on the flange. To keep a more consistent color I think I'm going to have to use two torches next time.

• 1 year later...

I sanded to a near-mirror shine and then went over it with a wire brush. This gave it the "brushed" look—halfway between matte and mirror. The color is very similar to the Scotty I posted at the top of this thread, but not quite as shiny. Since this was my fist time ever—literally—of torching a putter, I have a lot of improvement to make. You can see a purple hot spot on the hosel, and there are a few minor color variations on the flange. To keep a more consistent color I think I'm going to have to use two torches next time.

Sorry, I know that this is an old thread. Can anyone speak to how durable these finishes are on a putter? I would hate to invest in a putter with this finish and have it wear off quickly.

Sorry, I know that this is an old thread. Can anyone speak to how durable these finishes are on a putter? I would hate to invest in a putter with this finish and have it wear off quickly.

Heat treated finishes on stainless have some risk when using them on the course. Some might not change at all or very little. Some might develop spotting or fading with use and exposure to the elements.

Torched blue finishes on stainless have a tendency to brown out over time.

Have had experience with torched finishes and the better the prep the better the results and long lasting finish that holds up for many years. Have some golds and bronze finishes 2 to 4 years old that still look great. I do agree that the blues are a little more finicky and may fade or develop some brown spots which is caused by the high heat but golds and bronze with purples have not seen any issues.

Byron Rincon DH89

• 2 weeks later...

Does a coating of silicone, wax of oil preserve a blue torched finish on a carbon putter?

Yes both are good to keep away the rust. I prefer the spray silicone on my carbon putters, yamalube is very good as well as CRC but still need to be wiped down and cleaned frequently.

Byron Rincon DH89