Are Rangfinders with Slope Now Legal?

I'm reading the Dec 2015 Golf Digest and on pg. 52 they talk about the 2016 rules changes. Item 7 says "distance-measuring devices that offer prohibited functions such as gauges that factor elevation change or wind speed may be used as long as you don't use the prohibited functions (Appendix IV, Part 5)..." I could only find the 2012-2015 rules on the USGA website so I thought I'd turn here.

If this is indeed true $160 Bushnell Pro 1M w/ Slope I got off of Amazon was an even better deal!

EDIT: Sorry mods, I just noticed that I should probably post this in the 2016-2019 rules topic. Please close this if you thing this should be posted there. Thanks!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1447381905' post='12592400']
No, not legal for tournament play. What that means is a range finder with slope is legal to use IF the slope function is turned off.
[/quote]

Most tournaments do allow range finders. All it takes is for the Local Rule to be adopted.

(As long as we're talking about 2016 and after, a turned off illegal function is fine.)

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1447382694' post='12592484']
I thought I just said that.
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, you said that rangefinders with slope will be illegal for tournament play in 2016. In fact, all rangefinders are illegal for all play unless the local rule is enacted. In 2016, if the LR is enacted all rangefinders will be legal, in all types of play unless you actually access the illegal functions.

No, that is not what I said. What I said was that Range Finder with slope will be legal IF the slope function is turned off.

At most courses I play range finders are allowed in tournament play (iff allowed by local exception) if they do NOT have slope. In 2016 these
with slope will be allowed if the slope function is turned off. previously USGA did not allow any range finders with slope.

The OP was addressing range finders for 2016, not previous to.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1447385801' post='12592720']
No, that is not what I said. What I said was that Range Finder with slope will be legal IF the slope function is turned off.
[/quote]

Let’s not fuss about it, but your first post was confusing as it said that it was both not legal [i]and[/i] legal.

The change to the local rule effective on 1 January extends to more than just slope features and says nothing about such functions being switched off or switched on. What the new local rule says is yes, you may use a distance measuring device to measure distance on a specific course but you cannot use it to gauge or measure anything else that could affect your play. Admirably and welcomingly simple.

Throw away that flowchart. :clapping:

[quote name='Colin L' timestamp='1447388857' post='12592944']
[/quote]

Let’s not fuss about it, but your first post was confusing as it said that it was both not legal [i]and[/i] legal.

The change to the local rule effective on 1 January extends to more than just slope features and says nothing about such functions being switched off or switched on. What the new local rule says is yes, you may use a distance measuring device to measure distance on a specific course but you cannot use it to gauge or measure anything else that could affect your play. Admirably and welcomingly simple.

Throw away that flowchart. :clapping:
[/quote]

Yes, throw away that horrible flowchart. But replace it on your wall with the anchoring chart!

previously USGA did not allow any range finders with slope.

[/quote]

Not exactly true.

Leupold's Gx4i was not legal, but the Gx4i2 was legal. They both had Slope that could be "de-activated" by changing the lens cap.

The USGA determined the first model was not conforming, because someone could possibly by-pass the mechanism that shut off the slope. Leupold then re-designed the de-activation unit to meet USGA requirements.

According to the new rule, the original Leupold 4Gx-i will be legal.

[quote name='Newby' timestamp='1447412823' post='12593380']
The Gx4i2 was only legal because the slope function could be de-activated by physically removing it.
[/quote]

Slope could be de-activated on the Gx4i the same way, but that one wasn't legal.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/948209-the-new-2014-leupold-gx-4i2-squared-is-now-usga-legal-for-tournament-play/

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1447413068' post='12593382']
The Gx4i2 was only legal because the slope function could be de-activated by physically removing it.
[/quote]

Slope could be de-activated on the Gx4i the same way, but that one wasn't legal.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/948209-the-new-2014-leupold-gx-4i2-squared-is-now-usga-legal-for-tournament-play/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ournament-play/[/url]
[/quote]

Not quite. The chrome plate in the Gx4i only contained a switch for turning it off or on. With the Gx4i2, the chrome plate did not contain the function. It was built in the the interchangeable yellow plate.

[quote name='Newby' timestamp='1447418521' post='12593550']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1447413068' post='12593382']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/948209-the-new-2014-leupold-gx-4i2-squared-is-now-usga-legal-for-tournament-play/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ournament-play/[/url]
[/quote]

Not quite. The chrome plate in the Gx4i only contained a switch for turning it off or on. With the Gx4i2, the chrome plate did not contain the function. It was built in the the interchangeable yellow plate.
[/quote]

"Smart Key™" is a horrible name for the yellow plate if the circuitry is actually contained in the plate. The word "key" implies something that turns a function on or off.

https://golf.leupold.com/products/gx-4i2-golf-rangefinder/
bottom of page

From the manual
[i]Available only on GX-4i2 models, the yellow Smart Key provides True Golf Range (TGR) and Club Selector capability. Replace the yellow Smart Key with the included chrome faceplate to completely disarm TGR functionality and instantly convert the GX-4i2 to a device that measures distance only. Use of the GX-4i2 for tournament play is permitted when Local Rule is in effect (see USGA Decision 14-3/0.5).[/i]

[quote name='Newby' timestamp='1447448202' post='12595550']
From the manual
[i]Available only on GX-4i2 models, the yellow Smart Key provides True Golf Range (TGR) and Club Selector capability. Replace the yellow Smart Key with the included chrome faceplate to completely disarm TGR functionality and instantly convert the GX-4i2 to a device that measures distance only. Use of the GX-4i2 for tournament play is permitted when Local Rule is in effect (see USGA Decision 14-3/0.5).[/i]
[/quote]

Yes, I read that, too. "Disarm" doesn't necessarily mean the circuitry has been removed.

I believe what you are saying is probably correct, because of the fact the USGA approves of this device and not the previous version. But none of Leupold's language certainly doesn't make it clear on how the "disarming" is accomplished.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1447450891' post='12595694']
[quote name='Newby' timestamp='1447448202' post='12595550']
From the manual
[/quote]

Yes, I read that, too. "Disarm" doesn't necessarily mean the circuitry has been removed.

I believe what you are saying is probably correct, because of the fact the USGA approves of this device and not the previous version. But none of Leupold's language certainly doesn't make it clear on how the "disarming" is accomplished.
[/quote]

I don't think it matters anymore. The language of the rule, seems to say as long as you're not using the "Slope", you're ok. If you take off the "key" or whatever they want to call it, you're not using the slope (unless you hot-wired it).

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1447457337' post='12596112']
I don't think it matters anymore. The language of the rule, seems to say as long as you're not using the "Slope", you're ok. If you take off the "key" or whatever they want to call it, you're not using the slope (unless you hot-wired it).
[/quote]

Yes, under the new rules, it doesn't matter. The previous will be legal. Along with others brands/models that don't have interchangeable plates, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not legal for tournament play. What that means is a range finder with slope is legal to use IF the slope function is turned off.
[/quote]
This answered the question and wasn't at all confusing. Though ending the thread there would have reduced the posting ability of other members, I suppose.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1448695090' post='12654866']
[/quote]
This answered the question and wasn't at all confusing. Though ending the thread there would have reduced the posting ability of other members, I suppose.
[/quote]

In 2016 a range finder with slope might or might not be "legal for tournament play" depending on whether the tournament adopts the Local Rule allowing the use of any range finder. That is most tournaments! (And ending the thread there would have confused people who read the "No.")

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1448726730' post='12655706']
[/quote]
[/quote]

In 2016 a range finder with slope might or might not be "legal for tournament play" depending on whether the tournament adopts the Local Rule allowing the use of any range finder. That is most tournaments! (And ending the thread there would have confused people who read the "No.")
[/quote]

If someone is confused because they read one word of a post, one word of a rule, one word of a book...it's their own damn fault.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1448727058' post='12655740']
[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1448726730' post='12655706']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If someone is confused because they read one word of a post, one word of a rule, one word of a book...it's their own damn fault.
[/quote]

It is not the one word, it's the inaccurate sentence. (I would have written more but your mocking statement about my motivation dissuaded me.)

An accurate sentence would have been, "In 2016, sometimes rangefinders with slope will be legal for tournament play."

All it takes is the tournament committee adopting the Local Rule, and the player not accessing the slope information.

I remain confused as to why you don't find the original answer confusing.

No, not legal for tournament play.
[/quote]

That is not the situation.

[quote][color=#282828]What that means is a range finder with slope is legal to use IF the slope function is turned off.[/quote][/color]
[color=#282828]That is not entirely accurate either.[/color]

[color=#282828]R[/color][color=#282828]ange finders (with or without the slope function) may be used in tournament or non-tournament play, whenever the relevant local rule is in force. [/color]
[color=#282828]Whether on or off, the slope function [b]must not be used[/b] in any circumstances.[/color]

That is confusing. That would seem to be a contradiction.

Range finders can be used if the local rules allow. The Royal Ancient and the USGA do not allow the use of a Range Finder under their rules unless the Slope Function is turned off .

I am sure I was very clear the first time. This is not hard "no slope in tournaments under the rules of USGA and the Royal Ancient".

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1448740640' post='12656420']
That is confusing. That would seem to be a contradiction.

Range finders can be used if the local rules allow. The Royal Ancient and the USGA do not allow the use of a Range Finder under their rules unless the Slope Function is turned off .

I am sure I was very clear the first time. This is not hard "no slope in tournaments under the rules of USGA and the Royal Ancient".
[/quote]

The heading to this thread is "Are rangerfinders with slope now legal?" If by "now" the OP meant in 2016, then your answer, "no slope in tournaments under the rules of the USGA and the Royal and Ancient" implies that the devices themselves are always illegal in tournaments. That is either wrong or confusingly stated. The proper answer is, "They can be."

I honestly don't know whether I have failed to make my quite valid point clear or not. But I'm pretty sure I can't do any better making myself clear than I have.

I was not attacking you, I was attempting to make sure readers understood, particularly the OP who clearly did not know.