2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

Good stuff :) Ya last Thanksgiving was ridiculous, as long as the frost delays didn't catch you out, it was nothing but blue sky.

Nice pic of #14 at Trails. We always seem to play it early, so doesn't look as good as once the sun is setting.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ya it's like a turducken (which fits being Thanksgiving) with Pacific rounds wrapped inside Bandon rounds, wrapped inside Old Mac rounds, Trails... umm, the stuffing I guess? LOL.

I think on the Sat there might be a beverage purchased passing from 12-13, but otherwise it's not really ideal pints weather out there, well except for the Punchbowl obviously, as there's really no other point to go there ;)

Interested to see how the courses are this year, not seen any posts in threads about issues, as have cropped up in previous years, whether it be flooding, forest fires, bugs, etc...

Yonghov's thread seems to indicate you're going to get great course conditions. You could hit him up for more detail about what was up with BD, as he indicated that the conditions weren't as good as the others.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I played in mid-March last year. Only stayed on property two days but weather was OK. Rained a couple times for short periods. Weather was mid 40's in the am with no wind which was actually quite pleasant, especially coming from a Floridian. Afternoon was low 50's with a 20-30 mph wind and I was FREEZING.

Ya it's like a turducken (which fits being Thanksgiving) with Pacific rounds wrapped inside Bandon rounds, wrapped inside Old Mac rounds, Trails... umm, the stuffing I guess? LOL.

I think on the Sat there might be a beverage purchased passing from 12-13, but otherwise it's not really ideal pints weather out there, well except for the Punchbowl obviously, as there's really no other point to go there ;)

Interested to see how the courses are this year, not seen any posts in threads about issues, as have cropped up in previous years, whether it be flooding, forest fires, bugs, etc...

Yonghov's thread seems to indicate you're going to get great course conditions. You could hit him up for more detail about what was up with BD, as he indicated that the conditions weren't as good as the others.

Ya that's a good shout. Think I will.

I played in mid-March last year. Only stayed on property two days but weather was OK. Rained a couple times for short periods. Weather was mid 40's in the am with no wind which was actually quite pleasant, especially coming from a Floridian. Afternoon was low 50's with a 20-30 mph wind and I was FREEZING.

Haha! That's it. It's the combination that is the real killer. Wind is fun. Rain is meh. But put them together and look out!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ya that's a good shout. Think I will.

Haha! That's it. It's the combination that is the real killer. Wind is fun. Rain is meh. But put them together and look out!

I wonder if the slower greens have anything to do with the Poa coming in. When we were there in July our caddie said that Pac and Trails already had it and Bandon was next. For some reason it was staying away from OM.

Many factors affect green speeds, such as weather, rainfall, mowing, amount of play.

It could also be the encroachment of poa annua, as Mallrat suggested.

Tom Doak wrote that Bandon & Pacific used about the same mix of fescue, bent & other grasses, whereas Old Macdonald had 100% fescue.

(Also, Old Macdonald is the newest of the main courses.)

Hand warmers in all pockets (pants and jacket), and a nice, near empty flask should help in days like those!

I would also suggest these: https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rite-aid-capsicum-hot-patches-3-pack-0357448

I'm not super keen on the hand warmers as for me they dry out my hands way too much; however, these hot patches work a charm for me in keeping my core warm and stop me from stiffening up.

If it's in the 30s when we tee off I'll have one on and then take it off sometime during the round when it starts to get too warm.

Almost inside a week now :)

F.T.

My big question is what goes in the flask? Can't decide between bourbon or scotch.

I've done both. Scotch seems to fit the feel and be more traditional. BUT! Bourbon is higher octane, so you can actually carry 50% more swing lube, without the extra weight (something along the lines of Bookers). And, Bandon is in America, so I think you can reason out either.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Well we're now officially in the - Oh fook me! The weather is going to be sh1te! - zone ;)

I know it can change quickly, but from Crescent City up to the border it all looks the same.

I just bought a Seaforth Rain Slicker bag cover and the layering of spray on the shoes begins tonight. I've had zero rain over 9 days the last two trips (Feb '15/Nov'15) so we're due.

F.T.

Yep, the Bandon Gods have been good to me for a few years. Fully prepared to get blasted in February. Can't wait for the trip report Duff! Likewise 007!

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Well we're now officially in the - Oh fook me! The weather is going to be sh1te! - zone ;)

I know it can change quickly, but from Crescent City up to the border it all looks the same.

I just bought a Seaforth Rain Slicker bag cover and the layering of spray on the shoes begins tonight. I've had zero rain over 9 days the last two trips (Feb '15/Nov'15) so we're due.

come again with that shoe spraying? fill a rookie in

We had the same in March last year. Always had great luck in Feb but Feb was booked. Went the 1st week in March and it was brutal for 3 out of 4 days. 1st day was basically rained out in the afternoon. Caddies, all 5+ year round vets, said it was as unplayable as they have ever seen it. #8 on Pac Dunes had a river running through the green. One of us putted the ball 15ft away from the hole and into the river and let the river carry it into the hole for bird. 4th day was calling for 40 mph winds with 60+ gusts, after the 3rd day we called it. 3rd day was steady 25 and a sideways drizzle that actually kinda hurt.

On #9 on Pac I saw the craziest wind aided tee shot ever. Had 370 off the tee, buddy hits a slice up the hill goes out about 100 yards, then slices about 150 yards and then the wind got it and it heads backwards. He had over 400 for his 2nd.

Also, this might sound stupid but it works awesome. On my heavy duty rain pants I sewed an elastic strip across the bottom of the leg opening, think of a baseball stirrup. I then loop the elastic under the bottom of my shoe keeping the pant leg down the whole time. Only way I found to keep water from getting in my shoe between my shoe and pant leg. I've worn Nike Lunar Controls the last 2 trips and that system worked awesome.

come again with that shoe spraying? fill a rookie in

Go to REI or a shoe shop and get some water-restistant spray. If it really pisses down, well all bets are off, but in on/off rain, light rain, they can keep your shoes dry.

Some say "water proof" on the tin, but there's always an in for the water, unless you are wearing an actual boot.

F.T.

We had the same in March last year. Always had great luck in Feb but Feb was booked. Went the 1st week in March and it was brutal for 3 out of 4 days. 1st day was basically rained out in the afternoon. Caddies, all 5+ year round vets, said it was as unplayable as they have ever seen it. #8 on Pac Dunes had a river running through the green. One of us putted the ball 15ft away from the hole and into the river and let the river carry it into the hole for bird. 4th day was calling for 40 mph winds with 60+ gusts, after the 3rd day we called it. 3rd day was steady 25 and a sideways drizzle that actually kinda hurt.

On #9 on Pac I saw the craziest wind aided tee shot ever. Had 370 off the tee, buddy hits a slice up the hill goes out about 100 yards, then slices about 150 yards and then the wind got it and it heads backwards. He had over 400 for his 2nd.

Love it! So he played his second shot from the 6th fairway? I've lost one over down by the 6th tee before, but never had it return quite that far back :)

F.T.

When are you there? We arrive on 11/25 first rounds on 11/26.

Love it! So he played his second shot from the 6th fairway? I've lost one over down by the 6th tee before, but never had it return quite that far back :)

Yep. It was crazy watching the ball still midflight go past us. It was also one of those days where every shot was into the wind or at least a heavy crosswind.

We also hit 7 irons into 11 at 105 yards

Would you guys recommend a particular ball for crazy winds? Hadn't really thought about that aspect with all the freezing rain and hailstorms you have to prepare for Bandon in December...

not so much the ball but the type of shot to use.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I posted this in another thread but here is what i do to keep my hands warm. For anyone going for the 1st time or with questions.

In the rain I play without gloves, NDMC grips. I actually where one of those NFL or football hand warmers, you can get them for like $20. The little tube things that go around your waist. I put 2 hand warmers in there, slide it around back when hitting and then just slide it around front when walking. They work awesome and actually stay dry.

It's basically a light weight fanny pack with a water proof outer layer and fleece liner

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?