2024 Cognizant Classic WITB Pics ×

Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

• 5 months later...

Have been the last two Thanksgivings weekends; had glorious and awful weather but that's obv part of the deal. Had amazing weather my one January trip.

Going the first week of November this year; hoping to get some great late-fall weather - but excited regardless. Short trip; 3 days on property but I'll be able to play all 5 courses and really like my schedule (PD, Preserve, OM, BD, PD, BT). Staying at Chrome Lake which is new to me (Lilly Pond and the Inn on all my previous trips).

6 week countdown begins.

what are these screens you speak off?

Netting thrown over top of some of the landing areas. Most regularly 16 on Pacific.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Screens were on Trails 1 and 18 last April, along with a few Pacific holes. Not a big deal, but it's crazy to see how often the targets spots get hit.

The screens are typically placed in driver rollout depressions where the Bandon maintenance staff is reseeding areas with excessive divots. I agree, it is not a big deal. Take a free drop to the side and move on.

Of course, most WRX posters will not be affected as their drives carry well beyond the landing areas containing the screens.

In non-screen news ;)

Car rental booked today. 9 weeks and 4hrs until the first round!

Have Kiawah, Caledonia, True Blue, and Sand Valley to tide me over until then - but none of them is that fantastic bit of property on the Oregon coast :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Question: Does anyone know of (or have experience with) the fall aeration schedule at Bandon?

We are heading down Nov 1 - 4 (playing 7 rounds). Playing 3 at Pac Dunes.

We were down in March 2015 and played Bandon Dunes twice after an aeration and although the course was in great shape the difference with the greens was noticeable. In hindsight, we would have only played one round there.

Any input on the fall aeration schedule would be appreciated. If Pac Dunes is going to be aerated at the end of October, we will try to move some rounds around.

Cheers,

What they say themselves, speaking in generalities is:

Course aeration is maintenance that we complete twice a year in the spring and fall. This is weather dependent so we don’t have a set schedule. Any other kind of course maintenance is ongoing throughout the year and is carried out at the discretion of our agronomy experts based upon a number of conditions.

Bandon is very responsive on social media, so I reckon a quick tweet, could get that answered :)

F.T.

Question: Does anyone know of (or have experience with) the fall aeration schedule at Bandon?

We are heading down Nov 1 - 4 (playing 7 rounds). Playing 3 at Pac Dunes.

We were down in March 2015 and played Bandon Dunes twice after an aeration and although the course was in great shape the difference with the greens was noticeable. In hindsight, we would have only played one round there.

Any input on the fall aeration schedule would be appreciated. If Pac Dunes is going to be aerated at the end of October, we will try to move some rounds around.

Cheers,

RB24,

My experience has been that Bandon typically aerates on an "as needed" basis and doesn't keep a set schedule in the way a muni might. My suggestion is to just go with the flow and figure it out once you get down there. That or write an angry letter. I hope this has been helpful.

WCH

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

When we went last March, they had fully aerated all of BD #9 and I was told that they stagger it almost at random, a hole here and there, so that guests avoid having to play an entire course or even an entire 9 that has been aerated. One or two holes at a time seems to be no big deal to most.

I wonder if the verification will change now with some greens basically being Poa. I believe the Poa needs much more care.

Also when we were there in March there was probably 5 holes aerated through all 4 courses and some mainly around the netted off collection areas.

Based on the last couple of posts it seems like they may have moved away from aerating an entire course at one time.

I called up the Pac Dunes pro shop to ask when it was going to be aerated and then said it was weather dependent/sometime in the fall. They couldn't provide any specifics. All in all, not much help. However, if it is only one/two holes at a time per course, then no big deal.

I wonder if the verification will change now with some greens basically being Poa. I believe the Poa needs much more care.

Also when we were there in March there was probably 5 holes aerated through all 4 courses and some mainly around the netted off collection areas.

Based on the last couple of posts it seems like they may have moved away from aerating an entire course at one time.

I called up the Pac Dunes pro shop to ask when it was going to be aerated and then said it was weather dependent/sometime in the fall. They couldn't provide any specifics. All in all, not much help. However, if it is only one/two holes at a time per course, then no big deal.

it's never been a practice @ that facility to advertise maintenance schedules/practices that might effect bookings.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I'll be there next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and will update if I get any insider tips! Can't wait! Love making a trip down the coast here in Oregon!

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

I'll be there next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and will update if I get any insider tips! Can't wait! Love making a trip down the coast here in Oregon!

Good stuff :)

Do clear up this aeration topic from the horse's mouth for us, ha. Driving to Bandon really does build up the anticipation, have a great time!

F.T.

Good stuff :)

Do clear up this aeration topic from the horse's mouth for us, ha. Driving to Bandon really does build up the anticipation, have a great time!

Thank duffer! I'm truly stoked to get on Old Mac for the first time and Shorty's! Only courses I haven't touched yet.

Yep. Just booked my yearly pilgrimage. Mar. 23-25, with the 23rd being at the Sheep Ranch.

Stopping in Florence on the 22nd to play Sandpines. Just felt I needed to do something to change up the trip this year.

Love playing Sandpines! It's a great "feel good" course! Great start to your trip!

Alright gents, day #1 in the books! Old Mac won the battle today. Bunkers were difficult but hopefully the 84 I shot will be a blip on the radar after tomorrow's round at Pacific. Chatted with our caddies and it sounds like aerification will happen in late October and they are going to close down one course at a time. So we shall see.

Alright gents, day #1 in the books! Old Mac won the battle today. Bunkers were difficult but hopefully the 84 I shot will be a blip on the radar after tomorrow's round at Pacific. Chatted with our caddies and it sounds like aerification will happen in late October and they are going to close down one course at a time. So we shall see.

Damn. I'll be there the 2nd weekend in November. Bummer but I'm sure it will still be worth it.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the rest of the trip!

Damn. I'll be there the 2nd weekend in November. Bummer but I'm sure it will still be worth it.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the rest of the trip!

Weather looks fantastic and you picked a good time to go :) We're in South Carolina this weekend and the weather looks worse.

And golf is always the winner NW.

F.T.

I will be there the third week of November. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes for the courses to recover from the aerification?

It's the 3rd week of November in the PNW: there will be larger concerns about conditions ;)

Nov-Feb greens seem to be different every year, in regards to which course has the best/worst, how the poa fight goes...

They should be in good enough shape to not impact play or fun.

F.T.

Greens will still be in great shape Steve Y! Weather will be the biggest concern as previously stated. But it is the most amazing place to play golf! Today was great, 77 on Pacific. I took two skins and won a round on the Punch Bowl! No matter what you won't have a bad time! Day#3 tomorrow. Hopefully the putter and wedge change will seal the three day victory! I was just putting in the dark and loved every minute! 68 today felt like 85! This property is exactly what we as golfers look to enjoy! Sorry for the drunken rant but it's the truth! Enjoy the chase everyone.

Thanks Duffer987 and NWgolfer19. This will be my fourth time going so I am not worried about the weather or course conditions. Going with a buddy that has never been so just wanted to make sure everything was good besides the unpredictable weather. Been in February when weather is "suppose" to be bad and it was perfect. Hoping for the same when we go next month.

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?