What's the shortest drive you've ever hit?

MtlJeff

shortest drive i ever hit was at hells point in virginia beach. I was playing with my brother and we are talking trash to one another we get to the par 5 14th and i am salivating because it is a short par 5. He hits it in the woods on the right and i am like oh yeah I'll show him. I tee it up go through my routine and swing out of my shoes. I am looking for the ball and so is he and we dont see a thing. I go to pick up my tee and right in front of my tee there is my ball embedded in ground. I think it went about 6 inches. Shortest drive of my life.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My story doesn't involve me and not just 1 drive but the 4some behind us. We were playing a fun game as a six with more beer in the bags than clubs. On the 4th or 5th hole, we let a group play through. We sat on the bench beside the ladies tee while this group played through. Not a single drive got past us with the worst drive ending up about 20 yards behind the tee. By this time, we were rolling around on the ground with 4 p****d off golfers hitting their second shots from behind us.

-15 or so yards. Wasn't a terrible swing or strike though. I setup and played to close the right tree line on a dogleg right hole. As I start to look up I hear the hollow crack of a tree trunk and see the ball coming back. Naturally I duck, cover, and run. I look back to see the ball bouncing across the tee box. I was actually more impressed than anything and know that it'll never happen again.

The tree is around 50-75 yards out and in the right side of the fairway.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

Club Championship. First day & first tee. Hungover........... and feeling like crap.

I "toe hit" the ball and it smashed it right into one of those cheapo plastic round ball tee markers on the seniors tee area just ahead of me.

The ball ended up inside the marker which was leaned over afterwards with the ball rattling around inside. There must have been 30 of my hooligan buddies watching this unfold. They were laughing, snickering and tossing a few vulgar comments at me as I was sheepishly digging my ball out of the marker, and then try to place the marker back into the ground. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to crawl into a hole.

They still bring it up 20 years later. ;)

[quote name='adizero' timestamp='1451016471' post='12761524']
[attachment=3077034:Short drive!.jpg] You didn't see that! Turn around and STOP Laughing! :rofl:
[/quote]

Wow... Sorry but that right there is funny. Hope you are playing plug lies through the green. Friend of mine did the same thing on the first hole. I went straight to the bar and bought him a beer. It was 9am.

Gave my friend Rob an older S.E.Driver, steel shaft.On the 4th hole he hits it and for a split second no one sees the ball go forward.Standing behind him off the tee block the ball comes flying at me on the ground slowly about 15 yards behind the tee markers.He came down on the ball at such an angle that he actually compressed the ball in the sole of the driver.No one believed he did it until I looked at the bottom of the club and see a perfect indentation of the ball half way in the club.Still think about that day over 8 yrs ago.BTW,I don't think Rob has ever broken 100.Just putting that out there LOL.

I have done it & have seen other do it. Hit something & end up with negative yardage.

However the best one I have ever seen resulted in not a single millimeter of distance either direction. About 5 years ago on of the guys I play every weekend with was hitting his driver. Took his swing & was starring out in the fairway looking for his ball. The ball actually went about 2 1/2 feet straight up and came right back down on the tee. That is where the ball stayed--right on the tee like it was a total wiff. To this day when anyone of us talk about it tears start to come in our eyes from how hard we were all laughing about it. Talk about a one on a billion shot!

Not the shortest but most memorable.

Bandon Trails #4, a short 350 -370 yd par 4. Just completely topped AND heeled it, went 8 - 10 yards diagonally left bounced off a tree back out a little bit and gave me a swing at it.

Ended up going driver, 3 wood, 3 wood (used 3 wood for a 20 yd. chip), putter for par on a 350 yard hole.

Wasn't me but in a high school match the guy I played against hit one no distance at all. He hit the tee right out from under the ball and it just dropped right down. Couldn't believe it happened.

I've done the exact same thing. I blame an article I read online saying most players should be teeing it up higher than they currently are. No way was it my fault

You didn't see that! Turn around and STOP Laughing! :rofl:

That's what happened to my buddy's drive a few years ago, except that he came down on the ball so steeply with his driver that he created so much backspin that the ball spun out of it's deep divot and ended up 4 feet behind his tee. The others in the group were on the ground, laughing so hard that we were in tears! It still comes up about once a year during 19th hole drinks.

Shortest was when I was first starting to play, topped the ball so badly it landed behind me. Most embarrassing driver ever though was actually this past summer. I was playing at a very nice private course for the first time with my uncle who owns a public course in the area at which he very generously lets me play for free, my cousin, a family friend, and our golf pro. I'd never played a round with any of them before as I've only been playing for about 2.5 years and wanted to make a good impression, especially after having made very, very liberal use of playing his course. First three holes had gone well and I was -1 on the 4th tee and tied with our pro. I then hit the most hideous slice-shank you've ever seen straight into the trees where, after bouncing around like a pin-ball, the ball comes to rest about 30 yards in front of and to the right of the tee box pretty deep in the trees. My pro just looks at me and says, "You can still make par from there."

In my defense, I was in the middle of dealing with an undiagnosed torn rotator cuff and labrum that made it extremely difficult and painful to turn my left arm to the left beyond my palm facing down but in the moment it was about the most deflating swing I've ever made. Somehow made a miracle 40 foot par putt on that hole right after that though that kept me in the round. No idea if I could've finished the round without it haha.

was leading the net of an international schools tournament after rd1 and then topped it 5 yards off the 1st on day 2. Massive choke, I'm sure I've done worse but I'm quite good and deleting the memories.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

I don't have any funny stories about hitting a tee marker or tree and having the ball go backwards, but, my shortest drive was when I topped a ball in a tournament. I had not played tournament golf since my middle school days or early high school days. So it had been a good 10-12 years. I was super nervous on the first tee. The first hole was very tight and had a 90* dogleg at the end of the fairway about 260 out. You had to hit the ball 230 to get a clear shot around the corner but no longer than 260. That's a perfect 3 wood for me. I hit the 3 wood anywhere from 240-255 depending shot type and what's required. The problem is, every once in a while (like every 10 rounds) I will just randomly top the ball. It only happens to me with my 3w. I have no idea why. My 5w is the exact same club head and shaft just in a 5w loft. I never top that club??? So I step up and sure enough top it. Topped it so bad I almost whiffed. The ball moved maybe 10 yards in front of me on the down slope of the tee box. I was left needing to hit it 220 at minimum to get a clear shot in. The rough was wet and thick so I ended up having to chop a 6 or 7 iron down, then try to play a big hook around the corner. I tripled the hole haha. The rest of the day went fairly decent, until, it started hailing on the course. It was an April tournament and a cold front rolled in. It was about 40* and misting/sleeting/hailing on and off all day. I ended up shoot like 89 and took a Top 5 out of 25 in the A flight (4.0 Index to 9.0 Index). Brutal golf day!

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Topped it about 20 yards to the next tee box. Not happy I walked up with my driver and played it from there off the deck. Nutted it. Couldn't have hit it better had I teed it up.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Playing with my dad, one of his buddies hits it directly off of a slanted tee box, ricochets into the air, everyone runs for cover. Ball lands 2 feet behind the guy who hit it. -2 Yards.

Taylormade SIM 2 9* w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

Titleist 915F 15* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 70

Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid w/ Fujikara Atmos Tour Spec Blue 85 S

Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW w/ S300

Titleist SM7 50, 54, 58* w/ TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2

During high school one of my playing partners hit a drive that had to be -80 yards. The first tee had a creek in front of the tee box with huge rip-rap lining it. I mean these were boulders. The tee sits up 5 or 10 yards in the air too. There was probably 30 people standing on the tee watching and kid hits his drive, tops it into the rocks and it shoots 80 or so yards backwards. I felt bad for the kid but it was funny.

• 4 weeks later...

the number 3 hole at Arroyo del oso in Albuquerque.smacked my drive into the metal sign about 20 feet in front of the tee, and watched the ball come back over the number 2 green where four people were standing just missing 3 of them.ball ended up about 30 yards behind the number 3 tee

[Earlier Statement] ...BTW i do not use a driver but a 13 degree fairway wood which i am always in the center of the fway and 250 out

So "always" was just a slight exaggeration. You really meant "always except one time."

I'm sure we've all hit a drive into a tree that ends up 40 yards behind us

I did this for the first time over the weekend. Par 4, trees down the right side. I've been trying to work on my driver to keep from slicing and now I've picked up the occasional nasty hook.

With my wife watching, I ripped my drive down the left side and hit a tree about 40 yards away. I hit it square and the ball came right back at me. Took a couple of bounces and stopped about 5 yards behind me.

Not my finest moment.

My shortest I'll never forget. I was playing a course I never had previously. It was a very tight course that was lined with houses on both sides. I was on the front 9, I think hole 6 or 7. Tee off, and hit what I felt like was a dead center hit - the best feeling drive of the day. I pick up the ball and it's taking off right on line. Next thing I know, there's a loud crack, and the ball comes flying back at me and ends up 20 yards behind me. My group and I were absolutely shocked. We had no idea what happened. My one buddy even was half serious that a ghost stopped the ball mid air.

We took about 20 minutes to figure out that there was bird wire strung across the fairway from one house to another. What were the odds of that ever happening?

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

... there was bird wire strung across the fairway from one house to another....

What is a "bird wire" and why would two homeowners string a "bird wire" between their homes?

Bird wire is a very thin piece of wire (usually nearly invisible) that's hung to keep birds out of certain places. The wire is hung at different levels, and it creates an uneven landing surface making it difficult for birds to perch on the treated wires.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Not a drive, but a course I play has bird houses mounted on steel fence posts as 150 markers. One on either side of the fairway. I hit my drive about 10 yards short of one and proceeded to nail the wooden birdhouse on top with my second.

It turns out the posts are filled with concrete, and don't move a bit. When the ball hit the birdhouse it sounded like a gun went off. I just anout soiled myself, and the ball landed 48 paces behind the spot I hit from. I don't know how they attached the birdhouse, or what kind of wood they used, but it didn't have a mark on it.

Local rule on the scorecard says free replay if you hit one, so technically it never happened.