Golf Injury - looking for advice

Hi all - I've sustained a golf injury that will not go away after months...it's driving me absolutely crazy. Me without golf in my life is hopelessness. :)

I know, I need to go to a doctor, and I will soon. But I also wanted to check with you guys to see if this is common and/or any easy way to treat via exercise. My left shoulder (I'm a righty), when I perform a normal backswing, gets really tight and weak right about at the top of the swing, when my left arm is straight across my chest. I'd say the area is the back part of the round of my shoulder, closer to the part that faces away from me, and kind of stretches about halfway down my tricep.

When playing now, I actually let my left arm bend now which prevents the pain (and actually works decently aside from consistency).

Any of you had this same issue before? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like something related to soft tissue from repetitive stress. It's also possible you tore something. You are definitely doing yourself no favours by avoiding the doctor.

I am a hypocrite though. I've had countless injuries and have played through all of them, except my lower back. Took two weeks off and almost fell asleep on the course from heavy duty muscle relaxants when I came back. I am lucky it was just spasms and nothing more structural requiring more than physio.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reforming club addict.

[quote name='jacksonalex' timestamp='1450822329' post='12753108']
Sounds like something related to soft tissue from repetitive stress. It's also possible you tore something. You are definitely doing yourself no favours by avoiding the doctor.

I am a hypocrite though. I've had countless injuries and have played through all of them, except my lower back. Took two weeks off and almost fell asleep on the course from heavy duty muscle relaxants when I came back. I am lucky it was just spasms and nothing more structural requiring more than physio.

From your post jacksonalex I believe is correct. You have stressed an area enough that it is injured. Does not sound like anything rotor cuff related or requiring surgery. You should see a doctor, or even a good chiropractor could help. Treatment might be ultrasound heat treatments along with specific physical therapy type of exercises to strengthen up the area. But 1st you will need some time off from golf to let it recoup a little before trying to build it back up. From your description I am thinking the injury is muscle/tendon/ligaments either underneath or on top of the shoulder blade.
[/quote]

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1450824155' post='12753238']
Here's straight some advice. Go see a physician and have an expert tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.
[/quote]

X10,000

"months" is too long, so "I will soon" gets you no slack!

I've been there with a knee, procrastinated for almost two years, got better/got worse/got better, etc. Shouldn't have waited. Finally got with the dermatologic screening program this year (just stupid I never went before). Just get in there and discover your options. What if Azinger had just kept waiting awhile longer? You never know and you can't diagnose you, nor does finding out how anyone else's shoulder hurt in some way get you anywhere as far as a medical diagnosis.

Good luck.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1450827608' post='12753458']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1450824155' post='12753238']
Here's straight some advice. Go see a physician and have an expert tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.
[/quote]

X10,000

"months" is too long, so "I will soon" gets you no slack!

I've been there with a knee, procrastinated for almost two years, got better/got worse/got better, etc. Shouldn't have waited. Finally got with the dermatologic screening program this year (just stupid I never went before). Just get in there and discover your options. What if Azinger had just kept waiting awhile longer? You never know and you can't diagnose you, nor does finding out how anyone else's shoulder hurt in some way get you anywhere as far as a medical diagnosis.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Love the Steve and Eydie album Hawk! Good memories.

Well if you are still able to mobilize it, nothing is probably broken. If you can feel some heat around the general area, you probably strained a muscle or tore some tissue. Similar to what happens when you lift weights. There might be some inflammation and maybe a combo of heat and ice plus laying off whatever maybe stressing the muscles in that general area might do the trick. If not, some NSaids such as Ibuprofen might do the trick. Be careful as not to over do it. Usually there is a recommended dosage for over the counter stuff like that. Here in California, we can email our doctors our symptoms and they respond quickly. If you have been experiencing the same sort of injury for a while, call an advice nurse or see if you can talk to your doctor without having to go in. Hope you recover quick.

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the help friends :) Just wanted to update - it turned out to be a small muscle tear right where my shoulder meets the bicep/tricep. Kind of a weird spot, but, good news - with some rest and stretching plus a basic strengthening program I am now 100% back to happy golf times. Just played a round a few days ago for the first time in months and not the slightest pain during or after. I even felt a good bit stronger what with all the stretching and weights. Phew! Doctors are awesome. I will always remember to *really* stretch before a round now, no cheating. Jimenez style.

Thank you for the help friends :) Just wanted to update - it turned out to be a small muscle tear right where my shoulder meets the bicep/tricep. Kind of a weird spot, but, good news - with some rest and stretching plus a basic strengthening program I am now 100% back to happy golf times. Just played a round a few days ago for the first time in months and not the slightest pain during or after. I even felt a good bit stronger what with all the stretching and weights. Phew! Doctors are awesome. I will always remember to *really* stretch before a round now, no cheating. Jimenez style.

If you go Jimenez style, the cigar is required.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead