2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ever played with a touring pro?

cma8516

When I worked in Phoenix for Bridgestone I would play a skins game at a rinky-dink course, $40, all going into the pot. My first week I got paired with a mini-tour guy, we hit it off, and played in the same group every week for the next 6 months. He was the sneakiest, most boring good player I have ever been around. Length wise we were the same-ish (I was actually slightly longer). He never putted lights out. He never hit every shot to 2'.
We would get to about 12 and I would say to my cart mate:
Me: "Ricky isn't playing that well today"
Cart mate:"He's -4 thru 12"
Me: "Huh?"

The guy just never made bogies, birdied all the par 5's, and would birdie about 2 other holes. Never saw him shoot worse than -2.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1451681728' post='12789380']
My best friend's daughter just secured her card to play on the LPGA Tour (recently turned 18). I play a lot of golf with her. Oh my can she play this game.
[/quote]
Are you embarrassed to say it's Megan Khang?
You've post the above many times without saying her name.

As a new LPGA rookie....it would be good if more people knew who she is and could watch/follow her progress...especially the the WRX community and maybe watch her play a few holes if they should attend a LPGA event.

I for one, will watch Megan play a few holes if indeed I make it to the 2016 KPMG.

I played a round with Matt Hansen. Does that count? haha

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I've never been able to play with a pro, but (I've mentioned I'm a big Spieth fan) I've been afforded the pleasure to have a few practice sessions with Jordan when he was a junior and senior in high school. Even then, jacking around with hitting range balls and playing games with fades/draws at targets with irons, it was awesome to watch. I followed him in the rounds he played at both the Byron and Colonial while an amateur, his golf acumen is fantastic.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1451685122' post='12789560']
My best friend's daughter just secured her card to play on the LPGA Tour (recently turned 18). I play a lot of golf with her. Oh my can she play this game.
[/quote]

As a new LPGA rookie....it would be good if more people knew who she is and could watch/follow her progress...especially the the WRX community and maybe watch her play a few holes if they should attend a LPGA event.

I for one, will watch Megan play a few holes if indeed I make it to the 2016 KPMG.
[/quote]

No, I just feel a bit funny about mentioning her name. Now that she is a professional, I suppose it doesn't matter.

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1451692269' post='12789912']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

He has played with David Lingmerth, Cameron Tringale, Max Homa - lots, Zac Blair-lots, and thats just a short list.. many more - so indirectly speaking I suppose it counts in some way, I guess it depends on how one defines "tour". ;)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1451702710' post='12790568']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1451685122' post='12789560']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I just feel a bit funny about mentioning her name. Now that she is a professional, I suppose it doesn't matter.
[/quote]

im with you sean....I feel the same way .... we have a current PGA guys dad as a member at our course and he himself is a PGA master professional....I have played many sunday rounds with the elder... and twice out of nowhere with the Son... just happened to be in the right place at the right time.. We also have a couple mini tour guys who are regulars in our weekend matches.. but I cant honestly say I find any of them to be spectacular at anything .... all are very consistent ...but that's it really ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1451703801' post='12790630'][quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1451692269' post='12789912']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

He has played with David Lingmerth, Cameron Tringale, Max Homa - lots, Zac Blair-lots, and thats just a short list.. many more - so indirectly speaking I suppose it counts in some way, I guess it depends on how one defines "tour". ;)[/quote]

I played a qualifier for the State Am with Cameron one year a while back at SCGA golf course. He was low with a 69. I shot 70 to get in. Of course he was only 18(?) at the time....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1451692269' post='12789912']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]Absolutely, and my only regret in this game was that choked putt on 18 in my last tourney, last hole that cost Maddie the 1st Place money and us a trip to Vegas, though my second regret is that I didn't get to do what you did!!!

I guess that pretty good for 48+ years in the game, haha

Yea, I've Played with a few Tour Pros, but he's the one kid I'd give em all back but two, to have Played with him when I had Game, lol...

That ain't gonna happen.

I'll have to probably settle for riding and watching him Play when I head out to visit He, Aggs and their family.

So in answer to your question, yea Bro, Matthew counts :)

Stay Well My Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I once was in a foursome with Joakim Lagergren, European tour player. He has won on the Challenge tour and made around $500 000 in 2015.
When we met he shot 75 from the regular mens tee...
He was maybe 20 at the time, he didn't hit it very far (for a pro) but hit every fairway. That day however he missed every green.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

[quote name='Strömsborg' timestamp='1451769123' post='12793012']
I once was in a foursome with Joakim Lagergren, European tour player. He has won on the Challenge tour and made around $500 000 in 2015.
When we met he shot 75 from the regular mens tee...
He was maybe 20 at the time, he didn't hit it very far (for a pro) but hit every fairway. That day however he missed every green.
[/quote]HaHa, havin a 75 missin every green shows the guy had a "Pro's instinct" for getting up and down, even at that age-

There's ability, talent and instinct, which through massive repetition can be ingrained, which is how the vast vast majority acquire it-

Nice story Bro!

Thanks for sharing :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I've played with a few, most before they were big names....
Billy horschel- determined, nice guy. Always had a strong belief in himself
Rickie fowler- great kid, we all knew he would be great.
Gary woodland- some people think he's too cocky. Really enjoyed the few times I've played with him. Likes to have a good time.
Harris English- great player and even better guy.
Hudson Swaford- same as Harris, probably why they are such good friends.
Brian Harman- similar to Woodland and Fowler. Strong belief in himself.
Tom Watson- nice man, very opinionated on things but fun to play with.
Anthony Kim- not a fan at all
Brandt snedeker- seems to have humbled with age. Was always nice to me but some thought he was too cocky
Kirk triplet- really nice guy

I'll try to remember a few others. Great topic

As Most of the stories are of the PGA bois, I'll speak of one with a LPGA Player, and though I've actually Played with 3, this was the funnest because it involved Madison.

It was between Christmas/New Year 2011and Maddie and I had gone down to visit my Sis and her Hubby in Orlando. Bill is an avid golfer(he's a -10 to 12) and they had just bought a home at Isleworth, as He previously Played out of Bay Hill. I would go down twice a winter, right after Christmas for 10 days and then in Mid-March for two weeks when I would Play 18-45 holes/day so that I hit the ground running when the season started in April in the Burgh.

So I come walking out of the Pro shop and to the practice tee and I see Madison however she's standing there talking to two individuals, one a leggy blonde a shade taller than Maddie(5'7"), the guy, who looked to be about 50ish, 6' or so with a slight paunch and he had a smile on his face most of the time as I approached, lol, listening to the girls it seemed. I'd recognized the blonde though her name escaped me as I approached and when I got to them, I said "hi" and Madison introduced me to Suzann Petterson and Mark O'Meara.

Mark had finished hitting and was heading out and Suzann asked Madiison if she could join us for nine.

So we headed over to the tenth as there were a few groups on holes 2-6, though no one on #10-14.

It was a nice round and while Maddie and Suzann really hit it off and I was more or less along for the ride, lol, it was fun playing with her.

Suzann and Maddie Played the blues, which are about 6700-6800yds and I Played blacks, about 7000(I've Played the Tiger tees a few times for s**** & giggles, but 7500-7600 is not enjoyable for me, lol. 7000-7200 worked just fiine).

Suzann led off and put one about 265ish right down the pipe.

Maddie followed and was about 5yds behind Suzann and I think it surprised her because Madison has a long backswing, a shade past parallel with the long end of her bag and she has nice lag and move through the ball. Suzann laughed and said "whoa, I'm gonna have to concentrate," and Maddie just smiled.

Long story short, we had a real nice time, and Suzann was a real sweat Lady. I understand all that's transpired and been said since then though please bear in mind I'm recounting an encounter and my experience with the Lady.

She hits a big ball cuz Maddie is long for a female Class A and though Maddie was a shade past Suzann on two drives, Suzann was 5-10 past Madison on the other 5 driving holes.

Suzann went for a 35(Par 36), Madison and I had 37's.

A nice round and a very Classy Lady, and Again, please just take this for what it was, an hour and forty five minute encounter, and a very pleasant one at that.

Have a great week Gals & Gents :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

Tom Byrum a few times. Have posted about it before on other threads like this one, but he was always a really nice guy and very helpful.

Rich Beem once. Same result. Super person.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1451836920' post='12795968']As Most of the stories are of the PGA bois, I'll speak of one with a LPGA Player, and though I've actually Played with 3, this was the funnest because it involved Madison.

Golfingly Yours,
Richard[/quote]

I used to play in the skins game at the old Norton Air Force Base golf course back in the late 90's. It was called Palm Meadows. Brandie Burton played there all the time, as she was from the area, and her brother, Kevin, was general manager.

Brandie would play the back tees with all of the guys. Course was about 6800 yards. Back then, Brandi was one of the best female players in the world. Also one of the longest. She hit it about 255 to 270. If I remember correctly, she was always in the top five of the LPGA in driving distance.

Brandie was very nice, but also very quiet. Always complimentary, but just didn't say much to anyone. She had a beautiful golf swing, and just a great all-around game. There really wasn't anything she didn't do well.

The course was rated 73-ish, and sloped around 130-ish. The greens were always in great shape. The front nine was relatively open and the back nine ran through a section of eucalyptus trees.

The one and only time I was paired with Brandie, I played a really solid round of golf. I shot 6-under 30 on the front, and then 2-over 38 on the back. Brandie shot 70 that day.

I will never forget that round, for two reasons: the first was that I played with Brandie, and the second is that it was the second time in two weeks that I shot 6-under on a front nine and then shot over par on the back.

I have never been much of a closer. LOL

I've been fortunate enough to play with a few tour pros through winning prizes or just damn good luck

Darren Clarke - Actually got paired up with him, he was at my club for a round and the head pro asked if i wanted to come out for a game with him and Clarke.
Ian Poulter - Prize for winning a competition was a round with him. Quite hated on this forum, but i don't think i've played with a funnier guy. Short game was stunning.
Ross Fisher - Didn't give off the "tour pro" vibe, but at the end of the round he had somehow put together a 67.
Brad Faxon - Played with him in open qualifying, my first ever time with a (ex)tour player - blew my mind.

Hit balls 'next' to Mcilroy, he was warming up for a charity/sponsor? thing at Wentworth. Naturally he was given his own area on the grass while us plebeians had to use the bays. It's damn hard trying to do your own thing when someone like that is hitting balls not 30 yards away.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1451848439' post='12796586']
Hmmm (tapping finger on chin).....
[/quote]Happy New Year Bro :)

I know you've got some great entertaining stories about yourself so if not here, please drop in the other thread-

You know my thoughts Bro, and you've no doubt got a ton of "facts" that I, and I'm sure the other Guys, would enjoy hearing :)

My Very Best to You and Yours :)

Golfingly Yours,
RP

Happy New Year Bro :)

I know you've got some great entertaining stories about yourself so if not here, please drop in the other thread-

You know my thoughts Bro, and you've no doubt got a ton of "facts" that I, and I'm sure the other Guys, would enjoy hearing :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

:) Hey brother, good to hear from you.

Well yea, I've had my share...most probably not all that note worthy but personally interesting. I lived on LPGA International for a while, way back when, and played with probably half the girls or more on tour at some point. I've played with some greats like Inkster and Annika (who I still run into on occasion), Beth Daniel, Karrie and couple others. I was out there, not playing, with Michelle Wie when she probably wasn't even 10 years old yet. Had an entourage like a rock star even back then.

Besides my pitiful tour experiences getting my Word not allowed whooped in the 80's, which were not very social interactions, however I do recall playing with far more 'nice' competitors than A holes. I'm not sure there was the same class separation back then either that would come later with the insertion of real big golf money. But I didn't have many negative experiences. Only one who lived up to the bad hype I can recall was Norman....everyone had a story about him.

I had lunch with one notable player when I was pretty young. I remember playing it cool the whole time like it was no big deal and inside I was trying to figure out how I was going to ask for an autograph without looking like a punk kid. :D

Got the autograph...Looked like a punk kid...didn't care.

I've lived at / and played a lot in Windermere / Islesworth, BayHill and Lake Nona. Still often do. However I ran into more big names years ago than I do today as I've been less active for the last number of years.

I've ran the gamut from thinking "I could kill this guy, why am I broke?" to "No wonder I'm broke, what was I thinking?" And most things in between. I guess that's why I'm back in school full time, closing in on 50 years old.

:D

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

221855_531929248270_7144579_n.jpg?oh=d9d7d466ea1508b5af577aaef42c474e&oe=5716830A

Me and some buddies were at TPC Myrtle a few years ago, when we were about to tee off my buddy came out of clubhouse said DJ was in there having lunch, little did we know when we rolled up to #17, he was filming a commercial for Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday. He challenged us to a closest to pin contest and lets just say DJ took it easily. Super cool experience.

I would have challenged him on a downhill putt from 12 feet. Least amount of putts wins.

God Bless

Jer

Is Matt the kid that shot a 59 at Stevinson Ranch? If so, that's some golf. Also, did I see he was at Q-School again this year?

God Bless

Jer

Is Matt the kid that shot a 59 at Stevinson Ranch? If so, that's some golf. Also, did I see he was at Q-School again this year?

There are 2 Matt Hansen's the one you are speaking of who played out of Stevenson is no longer playing professionally as far as I can tell. Have not seen his name around anywhere. My son the current Matt had to register with PGA as Matt F. Hansen which sometimes shows on leaderboards because of the past Matt. Actually have a pic with my Matt and other Matt from when my Matt was in HS and playing a junior event at Stevenson Ranch. :)

Happy New Year Bro :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

:) Hey brother, good to hear from you.

Well yea, I've had my share...most probably not all that note worthy but personally interesting. I lived on LPGA International for a while, way back when, and played with probably half the girls or more on tour at some point. I've played with some greats like Inkster and Annika (who I still run into on occasion), Beth Daniel, Karrie and couple others. I was out there, not playing, with Michelle Wie when she probably wasn't even 10 years old yet. Had an entourage like a rock star even back then.

Besides my pitiful tour experiences getting my Word not allowed whooped in the 80's, which were not very social interactions, however I do recall playing with far more 'nice' competitors than A holes. I'm not sure there was the same class separation back then either that would come later with the insertion of real big golf money. But I didn't have many negative experiences. Only one who lived up to the bad hype I can recall was Norman....everyone had a story about him.

I had lunch with one notable player when I was pretty young. I remember playing it cool the whole time like it was no big deal and inside I was trying to figure out how I was going to ask for an autograph without looking like a punk kid. :D

Got the autograph...Looked like a punk kid...didn't care.

I've lived at / and played a lot in Windermere / Islesworth, BayHill and Lake Nona. Still often do. However I ran into more big names years ago than I do today as I've been less active for the last number of years.

I've ran the gamut from thinking "I could kill this guy, why am I broke?" to "No wonder I'm broke, what was I thinking?" And most things in between. I guess that's why I'm back in school full time, closing in on 50 years old.

:D

That's funny about Norman, lol

Though I didn't Play with him, we were a group behind him, our "introduction" came in the locker room/Men's Grille, he definitely lived up to his billing, lol.

My Sis and her hubby are in Isleworth and when I'm able to travel again and head down, We'll definitely get together. If I can't Play, I'll ride shotgun and try to stay out of the way, lol.

Thanks for the stories Bro and if any more hit you, I've got a long week with IVs and a surgery so I can use a laugh :)

Stay Well My Friend :)

All the Best,

RP

........... I've got a long week with IVs and a surgery so I can use a laugh :)

For some reason, this immediately came to mind... :drinks:

LMAO, Bro, you made me laugh so hard, the IV nurse looked up from her desk at me since we're not supposed to be on phones in here, she figures whenever I crack up I'm talkin to someone, lol-

THIS is so me, it's sickening, lol

And yea, gettin old wasn't supposed to be like this!!

Thanks for makin me laugh Bro :)

Happy New Year and God Bless :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

In high school I played a round with Brian Stuard. He is from a town (Napoleon, MI) near where I grew up (Michigan Center, MI). This was sometime shortly after he turned pro (2006). He wasn't any longer than I was with any club but its pretty disheartening when he sticks it within 12 feet anytime he had less than a 6 iron in his hand.

Callaway XHot Pro 9.5 PX 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 17 PX 6.0
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP 59 4-P KBS Tour S
Vokey SM5 50F / 54F / 58K
Kingston GSS KP1

........... I've got a long week with IVs and a surgery so I can use a laugh :)

For some reason, this immediately came to mind... :drinks:

LMAO, Bro, you made me laugh so hard, the IV nurse looked up from her desk at me since we're not supposed to be on phones in here, she figures whenever I crack up I'm talkin to someone, lol-

THIS is so me, it's sickening, lol

And yea, gettin old wasn't supposed to be like this!!

Thanks for makin me laugh Bro :)

Happy New Year and God Bless :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

Glad I could help Sir!

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Back in the 80's Dwight Nevil was the head pro where we played so got to play with him numerous times. He played on tour in the 70's and won the old Magnolia State Classic, played opposite the Masters, twice.

He was a ball-striker. One day I saw him shoot 30 on the front nine and he made it look ho-hum. He hit every green and never had a birdie putt over about 15 feet. Saw him shoot in the low 60's numerous times. I remember him not even teeing his driver up on holes that were playing into a good wind. He would just throw the ball down on the tee and hit it. It was amazing to watch. The story was that he could ever make it on tour because he couldn't putt good enough. Man, you could have fooled me.

Back then, there was always a tournament in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area for head pros and their club champion. My wife won the club championship either 7 or 8 years in a row and she and Dwight would go play in this tournament. They would either win it or finish in the top 3 pretty much every year.

Dwight grew up in Denison, Texas (me and the wife lived in Sherman, Texas) and he was a super, super good guy. He actually took another head pro job in the area and numerous people moved their membership to where he went. He was that well-liked.

Hey North Texas - Was born in Denison (1942) but did not grow up there (Dad was Air Force). My mom was born and raised there and her Dad was the county clerk for Sherman County for 40 years or so. I met Dwight when he and I were both playing on the Sr. PGA Tour back in the mid 90's. Great guy and his wife (Sandy??) and my wife got on great. If you see him, give him by best.

Bruce Lehnhard

I've played with a few, most before they were big names....

Billy horschel- determined, nice guy. Always had a strong belief in himself

Rickie fowler- great kid, we all knew he would be great.

Gary woodland- some people think he's too cocky. Really enjoyed the few times I've played with him. Likes to have a good time.

Harris English- great player and even better guy.

Hudson Swaford- same as Harris, probably why they are such good friends.

Brian Harman- similar to Woodland and Fowler. Strong belief in himself.

Tom Watson- nice man, very opinionated on things but fun to play with.

Anthony Kim- not a fan at all

Brandt snedeker- seems to have humbled with age. Was always nice to me but some thought he was too cocky

Kirk triplet- really nice guy

I'll try to remember a few others. Great topic

What happened with AK?