2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ever played with a touring pro?

cma8516

Played with quite a few over the years, but most recently Brandon Harkins missed the cut in Wichita on the Web Tour this year as did my player.

Brandon, his caddie and myself went out, grabbed a few beers and played a caddie v pro best ball. I'm a scratch player,the other caddie better than me and Brandon took us down on 18 without really trying.

If anyone wants a new member of the PGA tour to root for, he's your guy...fantastic dude, great player.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

John Daly played in a tournament at the club I grew up at. My dad played in the group behind him in a hooters tournament one year, and a girl sat on a green with her legs spread out and you could put into her **** for lack of better terms for like a 5 dollar donation.

Needless to say, JD had made quite a large donation that day, which turned into his wife at the time throwing his clubs in the lake

I WANT TO TELL YOU MY STORY. I NEED 5 LIKES. YOU GUYS WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS.

Alright close enough.

A few years ago now I was working as an intern at a club which was about to host the senior players championship in the coming weeks. Very exciting event with some big names showing up.

One of those big names was not Joe Daly. Finishing up my shift at about 2pm, towards the carts walks journeyman tour pro Joe Daley.

Joe had no status and had never won a professional event, playing qualifiers and some great golf that year he did well enough to qualify for the event. He had just played a qualifier a few hours a way and decided to come by for a practice round.

I ask Joe if I could join him for his round and he kindly allows me. Thankfully I had been playing some good golf and was not worried about slowing him up nor was a nervous for the round. After we warm up we get on the course in 2 separate carts and fly around in 2.5 hours. Jumping between holes and with a load of swing tips from Joe later we get done.

I wasn't overly impressed with much of his game except everything with wedge and putter was absolutely dialed in. Never took his time, played 1 ball for the whole round, hit maybe a couple putts on a couple greens. I gave him advice on how to play each hole and because of my comfort there probably downplayed anything challenging about the golf course.

Joe couldn't have been nicer, I could've talked his head off the whole time asking question after question but he loved the game and sharing it so much I didn't have too. Loved talking about how goo other guys on the senior tour was, Couples, o'mera, Perry. It wasn't until I reminded him that he indeed is one of those guys did he seem to remember it. Golf is hard and through the grind of practice we and those great players I'm sure sometimes forget how good they truly are at the game.

Funny enough after the round I got to the local dive bar down the street, didn't even have ac. And I run into non other than Joe Daly. He had found me there and I listened to him share more stories about early Tiger, his game, ect. Later, I think about what we had shot. I played decent, with about 73 and Joe ho hummed it around in 66. Never seeing it before. The more I thought about it, each shot was at the flag. I mean, each flag. The greens were firm and a ball may have finished 12 feet in front or past. Joe took into account only in his memory how each ball reacted on each green from its pitch mark. Brilliant guy. Never missed a detail.

Joe stuffed a shot to 1 foot from about 80 yards on a hole, I hit the ball back to him when I beat him to the green and he yells at me NO NO DONT TOUCH IT. It wasn't till a day or 2 after did I find out that is way joe whose ball infamously poped out of the cup during q school years ago. He putts everything out, sees every ball end at the bottom of the cup.

a few weeks later the tournament begins and joe plays well the first 2 rounds. it lands him a tee time that weekend with none other than the guys he spoke so highly of, fred couples. Maybe he remembered how good he was just playing his own game. But it still gives me chills, Joe won that sunday going toe to toe with couples.

He won his first event ever at my course after we had played together just weeks prior. it was unreal. joe had said that after our practice round he was sore and bruised for a few days from the offroading between holes and it reminded him to slow down during the event. who knows. but Joe won.

Long post hope yall get to read it. Thanks!

The set-up as crappy but the delivery was spot-on.

Awesome story.

You’re a d!ck.

Alright close enough.

A few years ago now I was working as an intern at a club which was about to host the senior players championship in the coming weeks. Very exciting event with some big names showing up.

One of those big names was not Joe Daly. Finishing up my shift at about 2pm, towards the carts walks journeyman tour pro Joe Daley.

Joe had no status and had never won a professional event, playing qualifiers and some great golf that year he did well enough to qualify for the event. He had just played a qualifier a few hours a way and decided to come by for a practice round.

I ask Joe if I could join him for his round and he kindly allows me. Thankfully I had been playing some good golf and was not worried about slowing him up nor was a nervous for the round. After we warm up we get on the course in 2 separate carts and fly around in 2.5 hours. Jumping between holes and with a load of swing tips from Joe later we get done.

I wasn't overly impressed with much of his game except everything with wedge and putter was absolutely dialed in. Never took his time, played 1 ball for the whole round, hit maybe a couple putts on a couple greens. I gave him advice on how to play each hole and because of my comfort there probably downplayed anything challenging about the golf course.

Joe couldn't have been nicer, I could've talked his head off the whole time asking question after question but he loved the game and sharing it so much I didn't have too. Loved talking about how goo other guys on the senior tour was, Couples, o'mera, Perry. It wasn't until I reminded him that he indeed is one of those guys did he seem to remember it. Golf is hard and through the grind of practice we and those great players I'm sure sometimes forget how good they truly are at the game.

Funny enough after the round I got to the local dive bar down the street, didn't even have ac. And I run into non other than Joe Daly. He had found me there and I listened to him share more stories about early Tiger, his game, ect. Later, I think about what we had shot. I played decent, with about 73 and Joe ho hummed it around in 66. Never seeing it before. The more I thought about it, each shot was at the flag. I mean, each flag. The greens were firm and a ball may have finished 12 feet in front or past. Joe took into account only in his memory how each ball reacted on each green from its pitch mark. Brilliant guy. Never missed a detail.

Joe stuffed a shot to 1 foot from about 80 yards on a hole, I hit the ball back to him when I beat him to the green and he yells at me NO NO DONT TOUCH IT. It wasn't till a day or 2 after did I find out that is way joe whose ball infamously poped out of the cup during q school years ago. He putts everything out, sees every ball end at the bottom of the cup.

a few weeks later the tournament begins and joe plays well the first 2 rounds. it lands him a tee time that weekend with none other than the guys he spoke so highly of, fred couples. Maybe he remembered how good he was just playing his own game. But it still gives me chills, Joe won that sunday going toe to toe with couples.

He won his first event ever at my course after we had played together just weeks prior. it was unreal. joe had said that after our practice round he was sore and bruised for a few days from the offroading between holes and it reminded him to slow down during the event. who knows. but Joe won.

Awesome story.

You're a d!ck.

Who?

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/ Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1  34"

-Prov1x left dash

Alright close enough.

Awesome story.

You're a d!ck.

Who?

?? Not you.

Alright close enough.

Awesome story.

You're a d!ck.

:rofl:

Thread's been cleaned up a bit. Please keep it rated PG and don't bicker with each other. Carry on.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

My first home club outside Stockholm had a tremendous Elite junior team at the time, early eighties. I played a few rounds with a guy that went out getting some top-10's on the European tour a few years later. Not the most pleasant experience, a real whiner. One time, shot par and was slamming clubs and swearing, although playing with me and his father. OK, played wonderfully, but that kind of conduct spoiled the experience totally. He was young, but that's no excuse. That's the lasting impression of him.

Jarmo Sandelin?

"Everyone has their own way of doing it successfully. But one thing stands out in the best - They are supremely confident in their abilities. There is no doubt in their minds at all. None. They know they have the game, they know they belong, and they are surprised when they don't play well."

If anyone is going to take just one thing from this thread to help with their game-this is it. thank you oliver klozoff.

I played or caddied for a bunch of guys: Zach Johnson, Justin Leonard, D.A. Weibring, Fred Funk, D.A. Points, Charlie Rhymer.

But my favorite experience was playing with a bunch of the girls down in Daytona right before the LPGA Q-school. I was on vacation by myself at LPGA International and all of the girls were playing practice rounds. After a few days all of the starters knew me pretty well. So one day I stroll up to the first tee and ask Sam the starter "who ya got for me today?"

First he introduces me to some little hottie that was a 3 time all Big Ten player at Wisconsin (sorry cannot remember her name). Next up was this tiny little Japanese girl who didn't speak much English. I started chatting with her caddie and he goes "yeah she is the #1 ranked amateur in the world right now." The last girl to join walks right up to me and says "Hi, my name is Birdie." (Birdie Kim 2005 US Open champion).

That round was a ton of fun. I was giving them all kinds of trash talk and they gave it right back to me. I would hit it 50 yards past them from the back tees and then they would roll in a birdie putt and say "see that's why you are not on the men's tour!" I hit on the girl from Wisconsin pretty hard and she played along for most of the round. Then on the 18th hole she says "you hit it pretty far but my boyfriend could beat you!"

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Closest I ever got was playing with a couple of college players when I was a kid due to a family connection. I don't remember their names, so I don't know how things turned out for them. The two main things I remember from that experience are:

(1) The enormous, squarish, spaceship heads on their matching Ping drivers, as this is back when driver head size was first exploding but no one I knew was dropping the money on them yet.

(2) Every full shot they both hit, including particularly their drives, had the same trajectory, which I'd never seen anything like at the time: The ball shot out cartoonishly low for most of the shot, then very quickly and steeply climbed to an apex toward the end, and finally dropped straight out of the air softly.

This is a great thread that reminded me of some lucky rounds I had with some pros.

I won a regional tourney as a Junior and got to play in a Sr. CPGA Pro Am in 1988 as part of the prize.

I played ahead of Moe Norman who was paired with a friend behind me in the next group. I watched him hit balls on the range and as a dumb kid wondered how this guy with a weird swing was so special.

I used to hit it far back in the day and had one Par 5 that was so tight off the tee with a dogleg through the trees that I could barely keep my trusty 4 wood in the fairway. I cut the corner and was around 290yds out from the tee. We started walking after I hit my second shot and a ball rolled between us and past us by 20-30 yds. I looked back and we had no idea where the ball came from as we could not see the tee behind us.

Sure enough, Moe bent a low screamer around the corner with his driver and it followed the bend of the dogleg right down the middle of the fairway over 300yds. Unbelievable unless I saw it myself. I talked to my friend after to see what he shot and he said somewhere between 64 and 68 but hard to tell because he wouldn't wait to putt out sometimes with his impatience. The pro I was with shot 67 and said if Moe finished his rounds (without giving up because he was bored), no one would have a chance.

Looking back, that was way cooler now than at the time.

TSi3 Ventus Black 6TX

TSi2  Ventus Black 7X

3 T100s Tour AD DI 95X

4-GW T100s PX LZ 6.0

MG3 52, 56, 60 

PXG 0311 53, 58

PXG Blackjack/Scotty phantom 11

Played once with a fellow in the Pacific northwest. Short tight local course only about 6400. I'm the last guy out, just walking and a fellow teams up with, a local. I didn't catch his name, but he had serious game. He insisted we tee off behind the tips. Really odd fellow had a ton of knowledge about foreign tours...latin America, Asian European. Anyway guy shoots a 62 as we walk off 18 I look at his bag, all JDM clubs, no ferrules. I said my goodbyes and said I was sorry but I'm terrible with names. His reply, " Scott, the name is JonesScott"

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

I've played and caddied in a Pro Am quite a few times. It's a good time if the players interact and relax but I totally understand their moods. The pro-am is a stupid long round and sometimes in really hot weather. Side note, I don't understand why the PGA won't let them wear shorts during practice and pro-am rounds.

The story I like to share is back in 2015, Golf Beer Brewing had just come out. You may remember, the beer brewed by Freddie Jacobsen, Graeme McDowell, and Keegan Bradley.

We were playing with KJ Choi and were waiting at the 10th tee box, our 1st hole of the day. As usual, the pro-am was backed up but Freddie was playing in the group in front of us.

So here I am standing next to Freddie and I turn and ask him "So Freddie, did you bring some of your beer to Texas?". He turns and says "Yeah man, you want some?" I of course said yes. He then says "Ok, I'll call my wife and have her bring some out. I'll leave one for you on the 9th hole." So I am excited and looking forward to trying this beer.

After 2.5 hours, we get to the 9th tee box (what is actually hole number 18) and there was no beer. I was crushed and disappointed. During the back 9, I was turning to KJ and his caddie (who is now caddying for Chez Reavie, I know this because I wont forget the huge head and long curly hair. You can't miss him on TV) and telling them to call Freddie to complain. This was all in good fun of course. We were having a good time.

So finally, we get to the 9th hole (again, our 18th hole) and we are hitting the 6 hour mark for the round. The heat has added up and taken it's toll. I am really ready for a beer. I walk up the hill and I see this on the tee box (imagine it unopened).....

I played with a guy who has qualified for a few PGA tour events, and it was impressive to watch. Ball flight was the same on all irons, and his distance control was awesome as well. Funniest moment of the day was on #9. He gets up and hammers a soft baby draw around the corner on a dogleg, hops in the cart and goes to handle some business in the bathroom at the clubhouse. My friend and I play out the hole, and as we're about to putt out, he comes back. He proceeds to hop out the cart and stuff a wedge in there for a tap in par. I also learned a lot that day about course management. He just put himself in great position all day to attack pins or in the right spot on the green for an easy par.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I played with a guy who has qualified for a few PGA tour events, and it was impressive to watch. Ball flight was the same on all irons, and his distance control was awesome as well. Funniest moment of the day was on #9. He gets up and hammers a soft baby draw around the corner on a dogleg, hops in the cart and goes to handle some business in the bathroom at the clubhouse. My friend and I play out the hole, and as we're about to putt out, he comes back. He proceeds to hop out the cart and stuff a wedge in there for a tap in par. I also learned a lot that day about course management. He just put himself in great position all day to attack pins or in the right spot on the green for an easy par.

Dang....how long was that Par 3....lol

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

I used to work at a club where an old pro was the head pro and later made a member. Tommy Valentine was his name, sadly passed away now from cancer. He was in his mid-late 50's when I knew him but I believe he lead the tour in total driving for a few years when he was on tour during the late 70's thru mid 80's. It was my first or second week on the job and my first round playing the course. Naturally everyone there talked about him from my first day so I already knew who he was. So I'm playing with the new head pro and TV shows up on the 4th hole which is this weird dogleg right par 5. Naturally he looks at me and says, "well kid, let's see what you got". I'm borderline shaking as I have never played with anyone in his caliber before. I get up and literally hit one of the best drives I hit that year, just smoked it 315 into a soft fairway with a baby draw. He looked at me and said "****, I guess we go ourselves a player here" He proceeded to hit one rail straight that was right in line with my ball maybe 5 yards back....keep in mind, i was 22 he was probably like 58 give or take a year......The rest of the round he literally hit every fairway, maybe a 5 yard curve on 1 or 2 drives at most...I have never seen anyone drive the ball on a rope that well...and every one was 290+....He shot 70 mainly because he flew 4 greens with wedges (apparently wedges were his downfall on tour also) which is a no no there...Just a crazy good ball-striker and a real guys guy. He also told me several funny stories about blowing the overnight lead in tournaments or being near the lead and going to the bar Saturday night and getting hammered and doing various other non drug related things that i won't mention here lol

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Closest I’ve come to playing with a PGA Tour player is a player who had his Nike Tour conditional card (now Web.com). Played Riverdale Dunes Golf Course in Brighton, CO back in the mid 90s. All I remember was that we played from the back tees, he was steady, shot 1 or 2 under or so. I shot 74 or 75 and was about comparable in distance. He was more consistent and had a really good short game as he was a bit off on his drives. He beat my butt without even trying as he was working on his game, not score. I was trying to beat his butt. Not a chance in the world. If he wanted to really play he could have shot 65.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...

Play with a current pga tour winner and past pga tour pro probably 30 rounds a year. There's a lot of differences but the biggest is the short game and putting It's just amazing how good those guys are on and around the greens. They've given me hundreds of tips and lessons but my best is their average. Great buddies and great representatives of the game.