Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

I know the i wasn't as loud as the G30 but hotmelt is the way to go.

[media=]

[/media]

She sounds hideous

Was she wearing khakis and a red shirt?

A few caught the pun....without a doubt

KHAKIS

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious if a round rubber pad under the weight would do anything to the sound?

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I heard about that with the G30 LS. A thin rubber washer placed under the weight supposedly muted the sound some.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I heard about that with the G30 LS. A thin rubber washer placed under the weight supposedly muted the sound some.

A little but not that great of a help. I'd go the cotton route if you never plan on playing tournaments or hotmelt if your a stickler for the rules.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

For any Ping loyalist, is the G a big improvement over the G25 or G30 or subtle evolution?

I like the shape and feel, but I find turbulators and dragon fly a bit much.

I was thinking of finding a used G25. I currently game an SLDR and want something more forgiving

I played a G30 LS Tec 10.5* with an AD DI 6x all of 2015. When my timing was off I would miss right all day, it became very frustrating at times. I kept it in the bag because when I was on I was seeing great distance with a penetrating flight. I finally got tired of missing it right, and picked up a G25 over the winter, which I had previously played with for the entirety of 2014 and had great success paired with an AD DI 7s (basically the same shaft). The G25 I picked up just has the stock Ping Tour Stiff 65, and I finally got a chance to get it out this weekend with the warm weather in PA.

I was quickly reminded why I loved the G25 so much. It's a 9.5* set at 10*, but it was launching much, much higher than my G30 LS Tec had been, even though I was working with less loft and a similar shaft profile, and it was not elevating as if it was spinning too much, just a high tight draw. Carry distance was improved and I was landing balls considerably farther out than I was with the LS Tec, even given the 50 degree weather. I'm sure I would be seeing more roll with the LS, but here in PA where we play hilly and often damp courses, carry distance is where you put your premium. I'm not sure that I need to test the G against the G25 or not, I still may, but as of now the G25 is going back in the bag over the LS Tec. The G25 will lap the SLDR in terms of forgiveness all day everyday.

I found similar results. I got a Ping G 9° with a stiff Alta shaft, I currently use a Ping G25 9.5° set to 9° with a Tour Stiff TFC 189D shaft. I figured as I am getting older and my swing speed is now around 94MPH that the new G driver might add a bit of distance. First 2 rounds it seemed ok, but I did miss a couple of fairways wider than normal. The club definitely seemed like I could swing it faster. I should say the 5 shots I hit on the Launch monitor gave me better numbers than the G25, but as I have found out numerous times the Launch monitor doesn't always reflect what actually happens on the course.

I played a round with my regular playing partners and it seemed ok, but certainly not stunningly different. At first I thought a couple of small swing adjustments I have been working on contributed to the lower ball flight but the next day I decided to take the new G out along with the G25 to see what was happening. I hit a shot with each every par 4 or par 5.

First hole I drained the G25 and then the G was a solid hit as well -flight was lower but it had a wee draw and was running. When I got to the balls they were one pace apart side by side! I should say the fairways were dry so there was a regular run out.

It seemed to me that the G25 had a stronger and higher flight, while the G was lower and more running. My average drives are about 260 -270 yards these days.

Certainly the G25 was straighter as well but I put this down to the shaft more so than the head.

The real test came on hole 15 which requires a carry of 230 to clear the water. Both got over but the G just seemed to sneak over white the G25 flew it easily.

I have no doubt that with the right shaft the G probably has a touch more forgiveness given the way its made but I am after more distance as Im struggling to keep up with the younger guys these days.

There was never a time when the G beat the G25 by more than a yard or two, but there were plenty of times the G25 got the G by 10 yards or more.

Ping are sending me a new G to try. Same specs but I dont know what will be different, anyway its on its way.

I think back to the G2 and the G5. The G2 was a monster in its day and then when the G5 came out they moved 8 grams of weight from the front to the back and it never really came close to the G2 in distance. So maybe the same thing here with more weight moved to the back in the G. What's really surprised me more than anything with the G driver is how low the trajectory is.

You know in my quest for a little more distance off the tee I sort of thought the G LS Tec wouldn't really suit me as my swing speed has dropped below 100mph, but reading some of the posts here, it seems like I need to be trying it.

A little but not that great of a help. I'd go the cotton route if you never plan on playing tournaments or hotmelt if your a stickler for the rules.

Sounds good, thanks.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

[media=]

[/media]

Sounds awesome! Who did the hotmelt and where is the hotmelt located in that driver head?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

There's no issue with the sound if you hit it out the middle.

I actually completely agree with this. I hit a few off the heel, and it made just an atrocious sound, but still found the fairway. When I connected though...ooooweee it's nice!

That is just my opinion, and I'm also talking about the standard G, which IMO is a sizeable improvement.

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

[media=]

[/media]

She sounds hideous

She's a he, sooo....

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

I'm getting ready to add some polyfill to my G30 head. I like the forgiveness, but have wanted to get rid of it due to the aluminum bat sound. Figured I'd try the polyfill first. I've never liked Pings driver lengths of 45.75", but never wanted to cut it down as Ping already usually uses lighter swingweights than most. By adding polyfill, I think that I can cut the driver back to 45", add swingweight to the head with the polyfill, and also dampen the sound. This may be the ticket to me liking this driver better.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

I'm getting ready to add some polyfill to my G30 head. I like the forgiveness, but have wanted to get rid of it due to the aluminum bat sound. Figured I'd try the polyfill first. I've never liked Pings driver lengths of 45.75", but never wanted to cut it down as Ping already usually uses lighter swingweights than most. By adding polyfill, I think that I can cut the driver back to 45", add swingweight to the head with the polyfill, and also dampen the sound. This may be the ticket to me liking this driver better.

What's polyfill?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

What's polyfill?

Stiff inside pillows. I would put it inside subwoofer boxes to take up space.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43166194?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228033018867&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=83023936728&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=113690306208&veh=sem

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[media=]

[/media]

She sounds hideous

She's a he, sooo....

81f090da3c1a5908611bb567ba6a933bd62e8ae75207ef91909015343def64db_1.jpg

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

For any Ping loyalist, is the G a big improvement over the G25 or G30 or subtle evolution?

I was thinking of finding a used G25. I currently game an SLDR and want something more forgiving

I played a G30 LS Tec 10.5* with an AD DI 6x all of 2015. When my timing was off I would miss right all day, it became very frustrating at times. I kept it in the bag because when I was on I was seeing great distance with a penetrating flight. I finally got tired of missing it right, and picked up a G25 over the winter, which I had previously played with for the entirety of 2014 and had great success paired with an AD DI 7s (basically the same shaft). The G25 I picked up just has the stock Ping Tour Stiff 65, and I finally got a chance to get it out this weekend with the warm weather in PA.

I was quickly reminded why I loved the G25 so much. It's a 9.5* set at 10*, but it was launching much, much higher than my G30 LS Tec had been, even though I was working with less loft and a similar shaft profile, and it was not elevating as if it was spinning too much, just a high tight draw. Carry distance was improved and I was landing balls considerably farther out than I was with the LS Tec, even given the 50 degree weather. I'm sure I would be seeing more roll with the LS, but here in PA where we play hilly and often damp courses, carry distance is where you put your premium. I'm not sure that I need to test the G against the G25 or not, I still may, but as of now the G25 is going back in the bag over the LS Tec. The G25 will lap the SLDR in terms of forgiveness all day everyday.

I found similar results. I got a Ping G 9° with a stiff Alta shaft, I currently use a Ping G25 9.5° set to 9° with a Tour Stiff TFC 189D shaft. I figured as I am getting older and my swing speed is now around 94MPH that the new G driver might add a bit of distance. First 2 rounds it seemed ok, but I did miss a couple of fairways wider than normal. The club definitely seemed like I could swing it faster. I should say the 5 shots I hit on the Launch monitor gave me better numbers than the G25, but as I have found out numerous times the Launch monitor doesn't always reflect what actually happens on the course.

I played a round with my regular playing partners and it seemed ok, but certainly not stunningly different. At first I thought a couple of small swing adjustments I have been working on contributed to the lower ball flight but the next day I decided to take the new G out along with the G25 to see what was happening. I hit a shot with each every par 4 or par 5.

First hole I drained the G25 and then the G was a solid hit as well -flight was lower but it had a wee draw and was running. When I got to the balls they were one pace apart side by side! I should say the fairways were dry so there was a regular run out.

It seemed to me that the G25 had a stronger and higher flight, while the G was lower and more running. My average drives are about 260 -270 yards these days.

Certainly the G25 was straighter as well but I put this down to the shaft more so than the head.

The real test came on hole 15 which requires a carry of 230 to clear the water. Both got over but the G just seemed to sneak over white the G25 flew it easily.

I have no doubt that with the right shaft the G probably has a touch more forgiveness given the way its made but I am after more distance as Im struggling to keep up with the younger guys these days.

There was never a time when the G beat the G25 by more than a yard or two, but there were plenty of times the G25 got the G by 10 yards or more.

Ping are sending me a new G to try. Same specs but I dont know what will be different, anyway its on its way.

I think back to the G2 and the G5. The G2 was a monster in its day and then when the G5 came out they moved 8 grams of weight from the front to the back and it never really came close to the G2 in distance. So maybe the same thing here with more weight moved to the back in the G. What's really surprised me more than anything with the G driver is how low the trajectory is.

You know in my quest for a little more distance off the tee I sort of thought the G LS Tec wouldn't really suit me as my swing speed has dropped below 100mph, but reading some of the posts here, it seems like I need to be trying it.

Moving more weight to the rear of the driver helps increase launch and lower spin. The difference between G25 and G is substantial.

Have you tried going to a higher loft setting? How different is the loft between your G25 and G? What about swing weight? Did you do a fitting for the G?

I would not suggest the LS head. At less than 100 mph spin is not your enemy it is your friend as it will help you launch the ball higher which is will help with distance. You need spin to create the lift on the ball (increasing launch).

Moving more weight to the rear of the driver helps increase launch and lower spin. The difference between G25 and G is substantial.

Have you tried going to a higher loft setting? How different is the loft between your G25 and G? What about swing weight? Did you do a fitting for the G?

I would not suggest the LS head. At less than 100 mph spin is not your enemy it is your friend as it will help you launch the ball higher which is will help with distance. You need spin to create the lift on the ball (increasing launch).

I mentioned in the first line of my post that: ". I got a Ping G 9° with a stiff Alta shaft, I currently use a Ping G25 9.5° set to 9° with a Tour Stiff TFC 189D shaft."

Out of interest I moved the loft up on degree to 10° and I played 18 holes today hitting both drivers of the tee. While the launch angle of the G did increase, it still wasnt quite as high as the G25. The results came out almost exactly as I mentioned in my first post, and overall there is really no difference in length. I still say the G25 is longer. Maybe with a different shaft the results might be different. I am not sure this Alta shaft is the right fit for me. I would have liked to put the Tour Stiff from from G25 into the G head to see what came of that, but the fittings are different.

While you mentioned that the difference between the G25 and the G is substantial, that is certainly the case in design but definitely not in performance. I guess what I am trying to get across is for those guys with a G25 or G30 there isnt enough performance difference to justify spending money on getting a G in my opinion.I can certainly see benefit for anyone not using a Ping driver, eg Taylormade/Callaway etc who want forgiveness coupled with length But for the Ping G25 and G30 owners, not enough difference.

Oh re the fitting. Ping did the fitting and do all my fittings and I don't have a problem with the numbers from their launch monitor not relating to the course, I always understand that as I dont have the same juice in my swing as I do on the course. Some guys might but for me launch monitor numbers rarely transfer to what happens on the course, if that makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts anyway.

Played 18 Sunday (second round w new G at 9*). Don't know distances but I was avg 260 or so, more importantly I was 7-7 on the front nine in fairways and 5-7 on the back nine. Very Happy :)!!

Playing partners even took it out of my hands near the end of the day and teed it up to hit an extra ball...and they both are longer than I :). The one interesting comment was from a +2 that hit it stated he always stayed away from Ping due to the high pitch sound but commented this was the most solid sounding driver he's ever hit from Ping...Over all a very good day.

I mentioned in the first line of my post that: ". I got a Ping G 9° with a stiff Alta shaft, I currently use a Ping G25 9.5° set to 9° with a Tour Stiff TFC 189D shaft."

Out of interest I moved the loft up on degree to 10° and I played 18 holes today hitting both drivers of the tee. While the launch angle of the G did increase, it still wasnt quite as high as the G25. The results came out almost exactly as I mentioned in my first post, and overall there is really no difference in length. I still say the G25 is longer. Maybe with a different shaft the results might be different. I am not sure this Alta shaft is the right fit for me. I would have liked to put the Tour Stiff from from G25 into the G head to see what came of that, but the fittings are different.

While you mentioned that the difference between the G25 and the G is substantial, that is certainly the case in design but definitely not in performance. I guess what I am trying to get across is for those guys with a G25 or G30 there isnt enough performance difference to justify spending money on getting a G in my opinion.I can certainly see benefit for anyone not using a Ping driver, eg Taylormade/Callaway etc who want forgiveness coupled with length But for the Ping G25 and G30 owners, not enough difference.

Oh re the fitting. Ping did the fitting and do all my fittings and I don't have a problem with the numbers from their launch monitor not relating to the course, I always understand that as I dont have the same juice in my swing as I do on the course. Some guys might but for me launch monitor numbers rarely transfer to what happens on the course, if that makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts anyway.

Thanks for the honest review (I loved the G20). It's only been 2 rounds for me but for accuracy the G at 9* has been an improvement for me over last years G30 LS. Distance very similar for me. The sound of the G is 10X better than the 30LS (and others have said G LS is about same as 30Ls). If some miss the center consistently then they wouldn't see as much difference but obviously all in here (WXR) never miss dead center of the club face, so all should notice this pretty quickly :)

10.5 g LST with the tour 65x, including a personal best!

Lovely smash numbers. Proof that the G is HOTTTTT.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Explain smash factor to me

My numbers were:

106ss

Spin was 2700-3000 average

Spin was 2000 best

Spin was 3400 worst

Average distance was about 250 carry

Smash factor was 1.46-1.49 never less never more

This was with range balls

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Ball speed divided by swing speed.

155mph ball speed and 106mph swing speed gives you a smash factor of 1.46, so your ball speed would have been around 155 to 158mph.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

This month's Golf Digest had nothing but praise for the G in the player testing. The G and SF won their categories and the LS Tec was right there with the M1.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Ok. That's what I remember seeing. What is it an indicator. I mean how does this relate to good or bad?

Is it efficiently?

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Ok. That's what I removed seeing. What is it an indicator. I mean how does this relate to good or bad?

Is it efficiently?

It's an indication of quality of strike, and also how hot the club is. if you're in the low 1.40s with your driver there's something wrong. If you're up near 1.50 you're crushing it.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag