Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

I don't see why people even think about the sound.. Im like the most OCD person I have ever met in person when it comes to golf equipment. I get poked fun of on a regular basis....

And I never cared about the sound of the driver... Sound of a putt, yes (this is the main reason i don't play prov1s

Not saying that you shouldn't care, I am just surprised, knowing how I am, that something bothers so many people, yet i never even thought about it until i saw people here saying how bad the sound was, and even then, I still don't notice

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why people even think about the sound.. Im like the most OCD person I have ever met in person when it comes to golf equipment. I get poked fun of on a regular basis....

And I never cared about the sound of the driver... Sound of a putt, yes (this is the main reason i don't play prov1s

Not saying that you shouldn't care, I am just surprised, knowing how I am, that something bothers so many people, yet i never even thought about it until i saw people here saying how bad the sound was, and even then, I still don't notice

I hear you. I actually love the sound of the G. Not the reason I'm using it though. It's a strait hitter and very forgiving.

Some like the 'feel' of the composite drivers like the LTD and M2. Many don't care for it. It's just a subjective thing that get's a lot of attention in forums like these. In the end when people are deciding on what to buy there can be many factors like price, sound, feel, performance, or just looks. In the end performance usually outshines all else and is probably why Ping has been dominating Driver sales the last year and a half.

Yeah. I'm just really surprised that something that bothers so many people was something that my OCD arse didn't even notice. Lol

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

For me, sound/feel is one of those things that I notice the first time I hit a club, or after switching from another different sounding club. But after a dozen balls or so, the sound becomes normal.

Oh yeah, Love the Ping G LS

I wish they'd ship mine. Three weeks and counting.

Don't order a Kuro XT, I ordered mine on the 16th of February and they're still trying to track the shaft down...

For me, sound/feel is one of those things that I notice the first time I hit a club, or after switching from another different sounding club. But after a dozen balls or so, the sound becomes normal.

Don't order a Kuro XT, I ordered mine on the 16th of February and they're still trying to track the shaft down...

They just have to look in your sig and they will find it ;)

They just have to look in your sig and they will find it ;)

If only I could hit my signature, then you would be correct LOL

I just bought a 9* LS Tec G30. It has a tour 65 stiff shaft in it. My swing speed is about 100. In the monitor, when I hit some well, they topped out at about 283. I actually played yesterday and hit some well and they probably went around 275 on the course.

However, I have a really hard time drawing the ball - I have to have a real strong grip. I lose a lot of distance with my natural fade - the 283 in the monitors was hitting a slight draw. I'm thinking I should have bought the SF Tec. I have my driver adjusted to the +1 setting but have tried the other settings on the range only.

Is there a possibility to add weight in the heel to mimic the SF Tec? But, rather than a permanent fix, could I just add some external weight (tape or something) on the sole just to see if it works before a permanent change?

I just bought a 9* LS Tec G30. It has a tour 65 stiff shaft in it. My swing speed is about 100. In the monitor, when I hit some well, they topped out at about 283. I actually played yesterday and hit some well and they probably went around 275 on the course.

However, I have a really hard time drawing the ball - I have to have a real strong grip. I lose a lot of distance with my natural fade - the 283 in the monitors was hitting a slight draw. I'm thinking I should have bought the SF Tec. I have my driver adjusted to the +1 setting but have tried the other settings on the range only.

Is there a possibility to add weight in the heel to mimic the SF Tec? But, rather than a permanent fix, could I just add some external weight (tape or something) on the sole just to see if it works before a permanent change?

You would have to add a ton of hotmelt or lead tape to the heel side to get more draw bias, so much that the club might become unplayable. I think Tom W. mentioned that you would need something like 20-30 grams just to effect the bias minimally.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

What do you all feel would be the swing speed point between getting a G LS Tec vs a G assuming a level angle of attach? Is it possible to over lap these two heads either way for a lower SS of 90-95, between lofting up a G LS or lofting down a G? A higher swing speed would probably always benefit the most from a G LS wouldn't you think?

What do you all feel would be the swing speed point between getting a G LS Tec vs a G assuming a level angle of attach? Is it possible to over lap these two heads either way for a lower SS of 90-95, between lofting up a G LS or lofting down a G? A higher swing speed would probably always benefit the most from a G LS wouldn't you think?

I think you would pick the G or the G LS based on your spin rather than your swingspeed. If you fight shots that spin too much, then you would probably want to go with the G LS. If you don't have a problem with too much spin, then pick the G.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I think you're glossing over the real intention of the LS which is to reduce spin for guys that may have a negative AoA. Angle of attack might be the most important factor in deciding between these two. Neutral AoA and a slower swing speed you would have to assume would fit into a G, while anything negative and over 100 would probably benefit from the LS, unless your swing path is also negative, in which case the fade biased LS would also be a bad option.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Actually I have a negative AoA. My best numbers are with the SFT not the LST. Ping rep said that was normal. I have a -4 to -1.5 AoA.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I hit this club a few months ago and while I liked it, I wasn't hugely impressed over the G30. I hit it with a GC2 yesterday and the G LST with the Tour shaft is a great combo. For me, it was the longest combination I have tested yet. The sound and feel is a bit improved over the G30. It just feels like you are hitting missiles right off the face. The M1 and the XR16 are really soft off the face and a bit mushy. The G exudes confidence. I also like how the face is a slightly different color than the crown. Helps with alignment.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I hit this club a few months ago and while I liked it, I wasn't hugely impressed over the G30. I hit it with a GC2 yesterday and the G LST with the Tour shaft is a great combo. For me, it was the longest combination I have tested yet. The sound and feel is a bit improved over the G30. It just feels like you are hitting missiles right off the face. The M1 and the XR16 are really soft off the face and a bit mushy. The G exudes confidence. I also like how the face is a slightly different color than the crown. Helps with alignment.

I agree with your review 100%.

Sound, feel and looks alone allowed G LS to kick out G30 LS. The fact that G LS was a bit longer and tighter was simply icing on the cake for me.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Finally had a round with my g LS 9* (set to 10*) with the Tour 65. Amazing driver, stupid long and it was a rifle. Played Oak Valley in Beaumont, CA and some holes were smoked and piped and I didn't realize how narrow the holes were until I got up to the ball. The roll off my driver is plain stupid long, its ridiculous... 1 time even snookered myself because of the roll.

Looking forward to more rounds with the driver. I am not toying with it anymore. Todays round was amazing driving - even my buddy was saying it was stupid long, some past 300 at least. His comment not mine.

I am done with TM for now. Go Ping!

ps next week I will play my regular course (i had enough of tight courses with 50 bazillion bunkers for now) so I will see how long this G is over the G30.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

You might have more success with the stock stiff shaft.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Got my first round in with LS Tec 9* with Tour 65X. Had worked through a few sessions on monitors before settling on this one. Had been playing a 915D3 with Diamana White - had initially liked because I couldn't miss big left. After the season I realized that while I didn't miss left, I also struggled turning it over, which left me playing a push that looked like it wanted to turn over but never did. Previous driver (FT3) was not easy to turn over, but good swing typically meant a very straight drive, so I couldn't complain.

Always, back to the Tec - liked the fact that I could turn it over in monitor without much effort, and couldn't snap it either. Nice to see my old ball flight (10 years ago old) coming back. Got in on the course, and the monitor didn't lie. Could turn it over without any problem. Had 3 below average swings, but distance was still good and balls were playable. Continued to get more confident as the round went on. When I got the 16th hole, a dogleg left, with a 260 yard carry over bunkers at the dogleg, I had a feeling I hadn't had in a while -- I could hit this thing as far as I want. Now I know that's not true, but its a feeling I never had with the 915. I did carry the bunkers, and then ripped two more good ones on 17 and 18.

Overall, an excellent driver. Ready to get the season going.

true, Tour Stiff shaft is very firm, in fact the tour regular is firmer than the Alta Shaft in Stiff (not sure about the other blue stock)

I think maybe there's not as tip action in the shaft as you are used to

ps: I play same shaft with same speed, just saying its easier to draw it with softer shafts as the blue stock shaft definitely is

true, Tour Stiff shaft is very firm, in fact the tour regular is firmer than the Alta Shaft in Stiff (not sure about the other blue stock)

Hmm. I would disagree there. I have no means of measuring them but I own both the Tour 65 and Tour 80 In R flex and the S flex Alta felt much firmer to me when testing back to back on the range.

I remember a video last year of a guy measuring the Tour shaft vs the TFC419 in the same flex. (Either S or X) can't remember and the TFC was firmer cpm wise. Granted the tip of the Tour shaft is probably firmer in the same flex as the TFC/Alta.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Hmm. I would disagree there. I have no means of measuring them but I own both the Tour 65 and Tour 80 In R flex and the S flex Alta felt much firmer to me when testing back to back on the range.

I remember a video last year of a guy measuring the Tour shaft vs the TFC419 in the same flex. (Either S or X) can't remember and the TFC was firmer cpm wise. Granted the tip of the Tour shaft is probably firmer in the same flex as the TFC/Alta.

The simple fact is that different people can have different levels of sensitivity to different parts of the shaft so both perceptions can potentially be true. And butt frequency is not an accurate representation of how the shaft will feel since it can not account for all variations in the bend profile - or even Torque which can impact the feel as well. It's certainly not a bad idea to try it out as an alternative, but actually trying it is the only way one will know whether it will suite their particular swing and preferences or not.

ps: I play same shaft with same speed, just saying its easier to draw it with softer shafts as the blue stock shaft definitely is

I went out yesterday and toyed w/ the lofts and my swing. Hit it much better but my shots are more like a pull, straight, or push/fade - slice. I know it's probably more of a swing issue than anything but...

I bought an Callaway XR Pro 3 wood. I just put it up for sale because I just can't hit it. It is 14* in a Project X 6.0. I bought it because I took a long layoff (about 5 years) from golf and thought a jump in technology would help. I grabbed by old 3 wood - Cleveland 13* Launcher with the gold launcher stiff shaft. Hit the prettiest shots you ever saw - nice long draws.

BTW I was fitted for the G30 w/ the tour 65 shaft.

But based on this, can any of you tell if I still could try a different shaft that I might have better results? I know it's hard to tell but maybe the std stiff shaft mentioned above might work better? Are there other alternatives as well that have the degree fittings that will fit into the G30?

Thanks for your input.

I went out yesterday and toyed w/ the lofts and my swing. Hit it much better but my shots are more like a pull, straight, or push/fade - slice. I know it's probably more of a swing issue than anything but...

I bought an Callaway XR Pro 3 wood. I just put it up for sale because I just can't hit it. It is 14* in a Project X 6.0. I bought it because I took a long layoff (about 5 years) from golf and thought a jump in technology would help. I grabbed by old 3 wood - Cleveland 13* Launcher with the gold launcher stiff shaft. Hit the prettiest shots you ever saw - nice long draws.

BTW I was fitted for the G30 w/ the tour 65 shaft.

But based on this, can any of you tell if I still could try a different shaft that I might have better results? I know it's hard to tell but maybe the std stiff shaft mentioned above might work better? Are there other alternatives as well that have the degree fittings that will fit into the G30?

Thanks for your input.

All G30 shafts will fit too which should give you some cheaper options. I thought the tour 65 was pretty stout, I swing ~105, could have something to do with not being able to turn it over.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

7 of 11 fairways with the G on Sunday en route to a 1 under 70 on an away course. 4 to the left rough as swing failed a bit during the middle part of the round on 7,9,10, and 12. Great club. Baby fade on most drivers and turned 2 over that required a right to left ball flight on the final 2 holes. Great club. Not the longest on the market but ohhh how strait she is.

Does anyone know if the G25 shaft adapters fit in the G if playing it standard?

They do not.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Does anyone know if the G25 shaft adapters fit in the G if playing it standard?

The G25/I25/Anser tips are compatible.

The G30 and G tips are compatible.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2