Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

BTW I was fitted for the G30 w/ the tour 65 shaft.

But based on this, can any of you tell if I still could try a different shaft that I might have better results? I know it's hard to tell but maybe the std stiff shaft mentioned above might work better? Are there other alternatives as well that have the degree fittings that will fit into the G30?

Thanks for your input.

You need to try these shafts out yourself. I have the Tour 65 shaft in reg flex for my G30 SF Tec driver, and while I liked its performance, I always felt that I needed to put a lot of effort into loading the shaft. Some swings with it would go really low, while some would go really high, depending on what I would do on a given swing to compensate for the stoutness of the shaft.

The TFC 419 D regular flex is much easier to load for me, so I can swing easier, being more consistent (still with solid distance). YMMV though--only way to know is to try these yourself, preferably out on the course during a round. Especially towards the end of a round, the Ping Tour shafts start to wear me out. They are serious shafts.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the G and the G LST at the trials with the same Tour 80x in both, the LST, due to my low AoA -1.2*, worked best for me, love the shaft, but like Stuart stated, we are all different so what may feel great to me may not do the same for others...Ping has a real nice on here with the G series, this is from a Callaway guy...lol

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

There have been a few posts on this thread asking for MOI and CG information for the 2016 PINGs.

I just came across an article on a competing website that gives more information on this topic than I have ever seen (but apparently I missed it last year because the link to their 2015 content is linked in the article as well).

Note: it appears that posting their URL is blocked here, but you can find it by Googling: "2016 driver center of gravity"

In short, the G comes in at 5,027 gm-cm2

The LS comes in at 4,766 and the SF at 4,852

The G is the most-forgiving driver that they measured and its CG is only 2mm above the neutral axis (explanations in article). LS and SF are pretty close in that regard too. For forgiveness, Cobra looks to also have some pretty interesting options between the F6, F6+ with the weight all the way back, and LTD.

It is interesting to see where the other manufacturers' specs line up. For example, I was surprised to see that the M2 has considerably less MOI (4,601) as compared to the G, but its rear-CG is further back than the LS (but not close to SF or G).

TM's low/forward CG really shows up in the M1. Depending on weight settings, CG can be as low as below the neutral axis on the 430 and the CGs across both clubs are also the closest to the clubface, as expected. This creates some pretty low MOIs (mid 3,000s - low 4,000s range, depending on weight settings).

The F6+ is interesting in CG location as well, though, because its movable weight has the most total impact on these statistics. Purely from the clubface standpoint (not accounting for shaft), it looks like it should be able to perform like the M1 with the weight forward (overall similar low/forward CG numbers), but it can do so at a much higher MOI (+300 using apples-apples settings) and with a CG location vs. the neutral axis below that of the M1 460.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer some of the lingering questions out there. It gave me a lot to think about before I go out to get fit for a new driver this year.

There have been a few posts on this thread asking for MOI and CG information for the 2016 PINGs.

I just came across an article on a competing website that gives more information on this topic than I have ever seen (but apparently I missed it last year because the link to their 2015 content is linked in the article as well).

Note: it appears that posting their URL is blocked here, but you can find it by Googling: "2016 driver center of gravity"

The G is the most-forgiving driver that they measured and its CG is only 2mm above the neutral axis (explanations in article). LS and SF are pretty close in that regard too. For forgiveness, Cobra looks to also have some pretty interesting options between the F6, F6+ with the weight all the way back, and LTD.

It is interesting to see where the other manufacturers' specs line up. For example, I was surprised to see that the M2 has considerably less MOI (4,601) as compared to the G, but its rear-CG is further back than the LS (but not close to SF or G).

TM's low/forward CG really shows up in the M1. Depending on weight settings, CG can be as low as below the neutral axis on the 430 and the CGs across both clubs are also the closest to the clubface, as expected. This creates some pretty low MOIs (mid 3,000s - low 4,000s range, depending on weight settings).

The F6+ is interesting in CG location as well, though, because its movable weight has the most total impact on these statistics. Purely from the clubface standpoint (not accounting for shaft), it looks like it should be able to perform like the M1 with the weight forward (overall similar low/forward CG numbers), but it can do so at a much higher MOI (+300 using apples-apples settings) and with a CG location vs. the neutral axis below that of the M1 460.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer some of the lingering questions out there. It gave me a lot to think about before I go out to get fit for a new driver this year.

Was pleasantly surprised to see the G LS pushing the 4800 mark. Pretty amazing drivers Ping and Cobra have out this year, as they pretty much own the lower right portion of that chart.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Awesome. I was one of the people that posted that question. Thank you so much.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I just bought a 9* LS Tec G30. It has a tour 65 stiff shaft in it. My swing speed is about 100. In the monitor, when I hit some well, they topped out at about 283. I actually played yesterday and hit some well and they probably went around 275 on the course.

However, I have a really hard time drawing the ball - I have to have a real strong grip. I lose a lot of distance with my natural fade - the 283 in the monitors was hitting a slight draw. I'm thinking I should have bought the SF Tec. I have my driver adjusted to the +1 setting but have tried the other settings on the range only.

Is there a possibility to add weight in the heel to mimic the SF Tec? But, rather than a permanent fix, could I just add some external weight (tape or something) on the sole just to see if it works before a permanent change?

You might have more success with the stock stiff shaft.

true, Tour Stiff shaft is very firm, in fact the tour regular is firmer than the Alta Shaft in Stiff (not sure about the other blue stock)

I think maybe there's not as tip action in the shaft as you are used to

ps: I play same shaft with same speed, just saying its easier to draw it with softer shafts as the blue stock shaft definitely is

I went out yesterday and toyed w/ the lofts and my swing. Hit it much better but my shots are more like a pull, straight, or push/fade - slice. I know it's probably more of a swing issue than anything but...

I bought an Callaway XR Pro 3 wood. I just put it up for sale because I just can't hit it. It is 14* in a Project X 6.0. I bought it because I took a long layoff (about 5 years) from golf and thought a jump in technology would help. I grabbed by old 3 wood - Cleveland 13* Launcher with the gold launcher stiff shaft. Hit the prettiest shots you ever saw - nice long draws.

BTW I was fitted for the G30 w/ the tour 65 shaft.

But based on this, can any of you tell if I still could try a different shaft that I might have better results? I know it's hard to tell but maybe the std stiff shaft mentioned above might work better? Are there other alternatives as well that have the degree fittings that will fit into the G30?

Thanks for your input.

All G30 shafts will fit too which should give you some cheaper options. I thought the tour 65 was pretty stout, I swing ~105, could have something to do with not being able to turn it over.

Well it must be the Indian and not the arrow. I tried out an Alta shaft last night and was still hitting banana balls. I think what is probably happening is with my 3 wood, I really stay down and concentrate through the hitting area - mainly hitting off the deck. With the driver, I'm trying to 'hit' the ball on the tee, and kind of mildly chicken wing it.

What's the MOI of a fairway woods? I would suspect less than an m1 for example, but I can hit my fairway wood more consistently than a driver.....?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I'm curious if anyone has hit the G LS Tec with either the HZRDUS Black or the HZRDUS Yellow. I'm curious what their thoughts were.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Rogue 125 60TX
FW: Titleist 915F 16.5 degree Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 20 & 23
Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 KBS C-Taper
Wedges: Titleist SM5 54 & 58
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NP2

I'm curious if anyone has hit the G LS Tec with either the HZRDUS Black or the HZRDUS Yellow. I'm curious what their thoughts were.

+1 please.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

What's the MOI of a fairway woods? I would suspect less than an m1 for example, but I can hit my fairway wood more consistently than a driver.....?

I have not see MOI for fairway woods, but this might be an apples-to-oranges issue.

The shorter shaft length in a 3W makes it easier to control. Then combined with more loft on a 3W (creating more backspin/less sidespin), a 3W will be straighter than a typical driver.

Still haven't taken my G LS out of the plastic yet, but I picked up a Fuji Pro 63 TS to use with it. I put that shaft in my G30 LS yesterday and it was fantastic. Never got along super well with it last year with a couple different shafts, but this Fuji might be the ticket.

I have this same setup. Love it so far. That shaft is very smooth,

I finally got my Ping G LS Tec. Mine has the Tour 65 installed and it's 9 degrees. It came in at 45 3/4". I took 1/2" off the shaft and ordered a replacement weight from Golfworks. First, I put it on the scale with the weight in it and it was D4, where I wanted it. I then removed the weight and the swing weight went to C-9. I ordered a 10 gram weight (2g per swing weight point), and it was back to D4. The replacement weight works very well.

I've had it on the course twice and to the range twice. The best flight for me is 9 degrees. Perfect flight and the ball runs and runs. A little loud, yes. Intolerable, no. What a nice driver. I like to hit a draw and I have absolutely no trouble doing just that. This club is remarkably forgiving. I read complaints about the head cover, but I don't see an issue. This driver is as long as anything I have owned, and taking into account off-center hits, it might be the longest.

Anyone with a G LS and the Tour 65 in stiff, would you mind posting your head weight without the weight screwed in?

Yes mine was 196g which came with a sole weight which added another 6g and I know a raw ping shaft adapter weighs 5g. That is how mine got to the combined weight of 207g which is what Ping quote on their website

Anyone with a G LS and the Tour 65 in stiff, would you mind posting your head weight without the weight screwed in?

Yes mine was 196g which came with a sole weight which added another 6g and I know a raw ping shaft adapter weighs 5g. That is how mine got to the combined weight of 207g which is what Ping quote on their website

Thanks, do you know what the actual sw is on yours and is it standard length?

My conundrum is that my G LS head is 198g and has a 4g weight. With the Fuji 63 TS I want to use with it (at 45.25) the club comes out to D8! My G30 LS head only weighs 190g without the weight, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to swap out my G LS with another one at the store (was thinking one with the Tour 65 would have a lower head weight than mine that came with the Alta 55).

Thanks, do you know what the actual sw is on yours and is it standard length?

My conundrum is that my G LS head is 198g and has a 4g weight. With the Fuji 63 TS I want to use with it (at 45.25) the club comes out to D8! My G30 LS head only weighs 190g without the weight, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to swap out my G LS with another one at the store (was thinking one with the Tour 65 would have a lower head weight than mine that came with the Alta 55).

Yes, mine is standard 45.25" and came in at D3. I also just shafted up a Speeder 661 (un-tipped) playing at 45.5" and that is about D4.5.

+1 please.

I tried a HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5 in a 9* LS. Its low low as advertised. I think I liked the HZRDUS better in the M1. But I like the G LS better than the M1. Settled on a Fuji Evo II 661x.

I'm getting ready to make an order on a G LS 9 degree. I currently play a G25 at 44.5 w/ Accra tour z st x-flex. With that shaft and no lead tape or any weight added I still SW at D4 which I really like.

I bought that club at standard length with the tour shaft knowing I was going to go aftermarket shafts and cut down. It worked out perfect doing that.

This time I am starting out strait with either the tour 65x or the fuji pro tour spec 73x at 44.5. I am not sure if the tour 65x has any counterbalance to it or not. The fuji pro supposedly does. I am afraid if either has any cb and order short with a desired swing weight they will have the head to heavy for me to potentially stick my Accra (or any normal balanced shaft) in and have a normal sw.

Probably over thinking this but just wanted to see what you guys were seeing when ordering one of these shafts significantly shorter than stock.

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

I'm getting ready to make an order on a G LS 9 degree. I currently play a G25 at 44.5 w/ Accra tour z st x-flex. With that shaft and no lead tape or any weight added I still SW at D4 which I really like.

I bought that club at standard length with the tour shaft knowing I was going to go aftermarket shafts and cut down. It worked out perfect doing that.

This time I am starting out strait with either the tour 65x or the fuji pro tour spec 73x at 44.5. I am not sure if the tour 65x has any counterbalance to it or not. The fuji pro supposedly does. I am afraid if either has any cb and order short with a desired swing weight they will have the head to heavy for me to potentially stick my Accra (or any normal balanced shaft) in and have a normal sw.

Probably over thinking this but just wanted to see what you guys were seeing when ordering one of these shafts significantly shorter than stock.

When I ordered my G order with Tour 80, I wanted 44.5". I asked to have it cut 3/4in since the length with Tour shaft was 45.25". It arrived at 45". In my instance, they cut from the length of the stock shaft length 45.75" and the Tour length they sell the tour shaft in. Sales manager and I assumed they would be cutting using tour length since I was ordering the Tour shaft. Lesson learned. Specify in the notes what the total length wanted as opposed to requesting to cut off a certain amount. And I do believe Ping cb their stock and Tour shafts.

When I ordered my G order with Tour 80, I wanted 44.5". I asked to have it cut 3/4in since the length with Tour shaft was 45.25". It arrived at 45". In my instance, they cut from the length of the stock shaft length 45.75" and the Tour length they sell the tour shaft in. Sales manager and I assumed they would be cutting using tour length since I was ordering the Tour shaft. Lesson learned. Specify in the notes what the total length wanted as opposed to requesting to cut off a certain amount. And I do believe Ping cb their stock and Tour shafts.

Sounds right. Both my Tour shafts when ordered from Ping said -.5" (45.25") on the ticket attached.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Finally got some range time with my G LS. Really good results. Everything was pretty straight, and when they went left it was cause I got quick and pulled them. I only had one ball fade on me, in about 40 drives. Shaft felt solid, stable, and smooth. Plays at 45.5", and seemed okay even at that length, but most times I choked down a bit, as it seemed a bit more comfortable. I got caught in the "driver length" confusion, and ordered it at 45.25" which turns out to actually be 45.5" in Ping world. Will probably chop some off at some point. Solid club overall, and the forgiveness seemed very good.

I also stuck a 16g weight in mine towards the end, and it felt even more solid. I have a 20g tungsten weight on the way from Billy Bobs as well, and stocked to see what that does. I'm gonna call it my G L-Sledge!

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Played today with the G LS. 44.25" and D2, 9* head set at 10*. 2nd round.

This time I played my regular weekend course so I know where my ball drops. Now....as a former M1 430 owner, I have no regrets switching to the G LS, this thing ate the M1 for lunch and still had take home for dessert. S*cker is long...cause it was dropping the ball in places where the M1 never quite went.

Best thing and biggest comparison to the M1 - I did not need to nail it on the screws to get it out there. Not the 100% perfect contact but it still went. Hit it 100% and it was longer. That forgiveness & REWARD for you.

Roll is fantastic with this head as well, snookered myself once - thanks rolls, next time I draw the ball out more right. This thing just goes & goes & goes...like the battery bunny :)

Good stuff Ping - the G LS is for real.

ps its also longer than the G30 LS but the 10.5 G30 LS launches higher for me - which is good as I like to fly the trees but its touch-n-go with the 9* G LS. Hmmmh....

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

OK guys, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in with ideas or similar thoughts here.

I had a G25 9.5 degree with the tour stiff shaft. Best driver I ever used.

I got fitted and upgraded to the G 9 degree with the tour 65 shaft.

Started out fine, hitting bombs and loving the sound, look, etc.

Now over the last few weeks I am finding it way less forgiving on mishits. I am having two-way misses and I will pack both drivers and hit the G25 just like normal.

Its a lower ball flight but I'm wondering if I should be looking at a shaft change or maybe just move back to my old driver?

I have come to realize although I'm longer than average (Not premium wrx long but my SS is 110+) I am not getting the desired results and I think I actually play better with a little more spin and height.

Anyone had something like this happen? Its like the honeymoon period is over and the G25 is outperforming it in every way. I did dabble with demoing the G30 and the LST, but did not find it was good enough to switch.

Just wondering fellas...

Don't say that...I sold my M1 and just sold my G30 LS....I have nothing to go back to if the honeymoon is over, lol.

Have you tried it with the 2 "+" to see if adding loft (which adds spin) makes a difference?

I know my G LS is definitely lower flight as well and I have to set it to the big + to get the loft I need and to straighten the direction to a baby draw.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing