2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

OK guys, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in with ideas or similar thoughts here.

I had a G25 9.5 degree with the tour stiff shaft. Best driver I ever used.

I got fitted and upgraded to the G 9 degree with the tour 65 shaft.

Started out fine, hitting bombs and loving the sound, look, etc.

Now over the last few weeks I am finding it way less forgiving on mishits. I am having two-way misses and I will pack both drivers and hit the G25 just like normal.

Its a lower ball flight but I'm wondering if I should be looking at a shaft change or maybe just move back to my old driver?

I have come to realize although I'm longer than average (Not premium wrx long but my SS is 110+) I am not getting the desired results and I think I actually play better with a little more spin and height.

Anyone had something like this happen? Its like the honeymoon period is over and the G25 is outperforming it in every way. I did dabble with demoing the G30 and the LST, but did not find it was good enough to switch.

Just wondering fellas...

It's unlikely that small change in loft alone would make that much a difference. I'd look at comparing the two clubs for playing length, total weight, swing weight, and particularly face angle as possible cause for the new 2 way miss and increase in mis-hits.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a g30 recently for 160 bucks and put my ad-di6 in. Was hitting bullets. Don't know what sound some people were talking about. I think it's fine.

Distance wise it's probably a couple yards longer than my previous 913. I didn't hook it as bad as my 913 though. Was able to shape it better both ways than the 913. That's very important. The 913 was an anti slice machine for me. I couldn't fade it.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

OK guys, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in with ideas or similar thoughts here.

Now over the last few weeks I am finding it way less forgiving on mishits. I am having two-way misses and I will pack both drivers and hit the G25 just like normal.

Its a lower ball flight but I'm wondering if I should be looking at a shaft change or maybe just move back to my old driver?

I have come to realize although I'm longer than average (Not premium wrx long but my SS is 110+) I am not getting the desired results and I think I actually play better with a little more spin and height. Also I will add that shape wise, this is one of their best in a while. Could not look at the 25 or 20, 30 was "ok".

Anyone had something like this happen? Its like the honeymoon period is over and the G25 is outperforming it in every way. I did dabble with demoing the G30 and the LST, but did not find it was good enough to switch.

Just wondering fellas...

I think some fit into the 25 simply because it spun more. I absolutely hated the 25, went nowhere for me. 30, and now the G has been the first time that I am gaming a PING driver again since the G2/5 (dabbled a bit w the 10 and 20, never liked the 15 as much as others). Personally though I think the thing for me was PING's resistance to offering a broad range of shafts like they did with the G2 (where I loved the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue). I know they did with the 10 and 15, but never loved the selection. The PING Tour is a GREAT shaft, esp the 80. Well done PING. I will say that I had to get the G LS 10.5, as the 9 went too low. If I were you, get the 25 checked for "actual" loft, then order the G digitally lofted from PING. At that point you will have like-for-like drivers, and you should even try popping your shaft out of the 25 and into the G. Believe that even though it is an older tip, that it will fit (just less adjustability).

Yeah. They won't fit. I grabbed my fujikura fuel yesterday to try it instead of my addi and realized it had the anser/g25 tip on it. Screw threads aren't even the same.

Sad panda

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

My G SF Tec 10* with Ping Tour 65 regular shaft arrived Saturday. I hit it on the range Saturday and compared to my M1 it feels a lot lighter. With beat up old range balls and those rubber tees which never seem to be the right height, this was launching them high and with only a slight fade to straight flight, once I worked out a few swing issues. On miss hits it is far more forgiving than the M1, on centre contact hits it just launches the ball. Obviously when I get over the top, out to in, doing a Elvis impression with my hips and swaying my head things go horribly wrong and a big ole slice is seen, but further distance, the same if I catch it out the heel.

I've had two rounds with it so far. One on the course local to where I work then the second this afternoon on a course I haven't played before. Sundays round I hit 7 fairways, 5 were just off in the first cut and the last 2 were slices. One of the first cut of rough was low out the heel, however the distance lost was not as great as I have been seeing with the M1. Todays round was better, 10 fairways hit, 1 fairway bunker, 1 in the first cut of rough, 1 sliced off the tee.

When I was fitted for the M1, I was swinging low 90's with mid 2000's spin and launching it around 13* (I think). I have not been fitted for the G it was a blind buy. In those two rounds I have averaged 3 yards less than the M1, but in play a lot more (so far). Its a confidence booster, I step onto the tee remind myself what to do, swing and watch the ball fly. Visually it is a higher flight at 10* then the M1 at 10.5* and I think more roll out on landing. I am tempted to try and get fitted when I next get a day off and can get to a fitter I know, but I am also tempted to just leave it as it is and hit the range to eliminate the swing faults.

I tried a G25 when I first took up golf 3 years ago and couldn't hit it at all, the noise to me was awful aswell. The G series is loud but not obnoxiously loud, the feel off the face tells me the ball is rocketing off and the forgiveness on mis hits is for me unreal. The turbolators and dragonfly are really useful for lining the ball up as well. I'll hopefully get another couple of rounds in on Wednesday and possibly Thursday dependent on work. Providing I am not just in the honeymoon phase this thing is going to help reduce my handicap this year. Both rounds on par 4's I have not needed a iron longer than a 8 for my second shop. I am really looking forward to getting home and seeing where I am on the courses there compared to the one I play at work.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Wow that is light. My G head is 199g then add another 5 for the adapter so 204 total.

My G30 SF Tec head was 195g. Which makes sense as the SF Tec heads are purposely lighter to play at a lighter swing weight.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Got my 10.5 LS yesterday with the KK XT shaft. What a combo....

Weighed my head and it came in at 195g, so I'm going to check the SW today, but definitely needs a couple g of hot melt.

Why not just find a heavier weight plug?

I've seen heavy weights on eBay that came out of G/G30

Hybrids.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Weighed my head and it came in at 195g, so I'm going to check the SW today, but definitely needs a couple g of hot melt.

Hybrids.

Honestly, the sound. I'm glad it came it that light. Mine was also without the adapter so 200g, but it's probably because the KK XT is in the mid-70 range.

Hybrids.

Honestly, the sound. I'm glad it came it that light. Mine was also without the adapter so 200g, but it's probably because the KK XT is in the mid-70 range.

200g was the stanrdard not long back. I thought the adapter may have been 6-7 but have not weighed the new G adapter. 200g is great imo. You can easily add a tad if needed and you seldom want to go lighter.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

So the Ltd pro inched out my G LS. But what about the strectch v the g 3wood? Any good?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I have come to realize although I'm longer than average (Not premium wrx long but my SS is 110+) I am not getting the desired results and I think I actually play better with a little more spin and height.

Just wondering fellas...

I played the G30 LS Tec with an AD DI 6x all of last year and while I found it be excellent and very long when my swing was dead on, I also found it to be punishing compared to my old G25 when I was off. I would struggle with misses to the right and when they missed right they missed wayyyyy right.

I finally decided to go back to the G25 and picked one up through the WTB section that happened to come with the PWR Tour Stiff. While I was having an AD DI 7s built for the G25 I took the club out with the Tour Stiff in it a few times and have found it to be an excellent combo. I played the AD DI 7s for a few rounds, and had some bombs, but my dispersion seems to be a little tighter with the stock shaft. I'm definitely not as long as I was with the LS on my best drives, but I'm finding the fairway at twice the rate and my misses are so much more manageable.

Three rounds into handicap season here in PA and all of my 18's have been tournaments. So far I've gone 69, 68 (which won that day) and 71.

It remains to be seen which shaft will stay in the head when the weather turns warmer, but the G25 is a great driver. It's the club that turned me onto Ping in the first place, and I may start hoarding 9.5* heads here soon just in case.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I have a G LS 10.5 with Tour 65x... And was thinking, for a 105 SS and looking to launch the ball higher does this combo sound right? When I got fit I had great performance with this, but as I think more and more into it, does going 10.5 LS with that SS sound right? Or is having a 10.5 LS with Tour 65x sound counter productive?

Anyone else using a similar set up, or does this sound pretty rare?

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

Just wondering fellas...

I played the G30 LS Tec with an AD DI 6x all of last year and while I found it be excellent and very long when my swing was dead on, I also found it to be punishing compared to my old G25 when I was off. I would struggle with misses to the right and when they missed right they missed wayyyyy right.

I finally decided to go back to the G25 and picked one up through the WTB section that happened to come with the PWR Tour Stiff. While I was having an AD DI 7s built for the G25 I took the club out with the Tour Stiff in it a few times and have found it to be an excellent combo. I played the AD DI 7s for a few rounds, and had some bombs, but my dispersion seems to be a little tighter with the stock shaft. I'm definitely not as long as I was with the LS on my best drives, but I'm finding the fairway at twice the rate and my misses are so much more manageable.

Three rounds into handicap season here in PA and all of my 18's have been tournaments. So far I've gone 69, 68 (which won that day) and 71.

It remains to be seen which shaft will stay in the head when the weather turns warmer, but the G25 is a great driver. It's the club that turned me onto Ping in the first place, and I may start hoarding 9.5* heads here soon just in case.

Couldn't agree more.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I have a G LS 10.5 with Tour 65x... And was thinking, for a 105 SS and looking to launch the ball higher does this combo sound right? When I got fit I had great performance with this, but as I think more and more into it, does going 10.5 LS with that SS sound right? Or is having a 10.5 LS with Tour 65x sound counter productive?

Not rare, my SS is around 105 to 108. I have the G LS in 9* and also a 10.5* G LS (with the Alta shaft). My gamer shaft is a Tour 65 in the stiff flex, cut down to 44.5" and playing in a D2 swing weight.

Right now I am still experimenting and playing with both heads. The 9* I need to set to a big "+" effectively, 10* and I do this for 2 things: it closes the face a tad for me and give me a little launch. I use the 7gm Ping weight to get both heads to a D2 but I tried a 12gm weight (borrowed from my 10.5 head) and while it does launch a little higher in the 9->10 setup, I see a more level flight with the 7gm weight, and way more roll. Its a give and take.

At this moment, my 10.5 LS head is sitting. I got this head originally to get more launch for the course that I play where I need to fly the trees and cut the corners but the flight is favouring the 9->10 head. Hmmh.

As for the Tour 65 stiff vs x-stiff, I have played x-stiff as well and came to a conclusion I like the stiff better and I don't need to swing as hard all the time. Sometimes my SS dips to 100 but I don't care anymore since I no longer play the HE-man black tees, so a stiff is more suited for my swing.

At the end of the day, you need to see your ball flight that you want. Get a LM stats. For me, yeah, the 10.5 natural launches it higher but more spin and less roll. Or 9->10 head launches a tad less high but boy, shes running faster than Forest Gump out of the Crimson stadium...

Interesting - the Alta 55 vs Tour 65, I find the Alta offering less feedback than the Tour 65. Tour has more kick feel at impact. To me, Alta feels slightly boardy, kinda dead feel with my swing. Dispersion is about the same with my swing. Keeping the Tour.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I played the G30LS in 10.5 with Tour65S.

Now play the Standard G at 8.4 with Tour65X and have better control and same distance.

Anyone hit the g without the weight slug. I like a lighter sw and coming from the g25 with ripd nv the g feels head heavy to me. I play the g with same shaft and length as my old g25. I wanted to get headweight more in the 198 gram weight range so i took out the slug bought a really small rubber washer to go under the screw. Sound and feel isthe same, flight seems more penetrating (tended to balloon with slug in even in the minus setting). I like the weight and flight better know, but Does anyone think this would hurt the performance. Concern would b if it could affect the distance or is the weight strictly for sw purposes? Thanks

Basically G25 users that "like" the 25 and are resistant to switching because of forgiveness etc, is because of spin. As I said, the 25 spun more/launched higher, travelled less (for me), but as such was more forgiving. For me, the G30 and G are their best since the G2/510, as "for me", Ping got progressively worse (and went away from them for a while) from the G15-25. Also an honorable mention to the Cobra FlyZ (not + for me). With the right shaft, the BioCell and FlyZ are great for me, as the sweet spot is a little high and near the toe, which is exactly where my miss is.

Yeah I've had to do a ton of research.

The G is literally 15 yards behind my G25 on good strikes.

I went with the tour 65 and think it's the problem. I don't think it's counter balanced and all I can tell is the head feels a lot heavier when I hold both clubs.

I am trying to love my new G but the results aren't getting me where I want to be.

I think I will try a shaft change before I dump it. So good on the sim too but I think the real world spin of the G25 just works better :::for me::: not a launch monitor type club.

I went with the tour 65 and think it's the problem. I don't think it's counter balanced and all I can tell is the head feels a lot heavier when I hold both clubs.

If that's the case and the head weight is to heavy, you can do a quick test just by choking up an inch and seeing if there is any improvement.

Yeah that's a good idea.

I will experiment tonight. I admit I got trigger shy on the course with it and just went to my old trusty.

I'm relatively long so I went from nearing 300 on good strikes to all over the map. It could be the heavier feeling head throws the tempo and quality of strike out for me.

I hit the G LS in 9* with Tour Stiff shaft this weekend. The ball seems to rocket off the face and appears to go forever. However, it was only 3-5 yards longer than my 915 D3 at best. Many drives ended up side by side.

I did hit one monster drive with the G on a par five that ended up 20 yards past my normal spot, but I'm chalking that up to it being downwind that day and the ball landing on a down-slope.

The sound was reminiscent of the G30, but maybe not quite as loud.

I do love the look of the club head at address. It just seems to fit my eye well.

I may try it again and crank it up to 10*.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I currently play the G30 SF tec 12 degree with a Tour 65 stiff shaft. Yesterday was demo day at my local range and I tried the G with several different combinations, and surprisingly to me, the G SF tec 10 degree with the Alta stiff shaft gave me the best results. I'm wondering if I want to go that route slowly, say for example get the shaft first, will it work with no problem on my current G30 head? Sounds like to me it will, then I apparently it will be no big deal selling my Tour 65 stiff shaft as they seem quite popular. However at age 65, I'm wondering if a 10 degree head is the way to go, or stick with my 12 degree G30, or possibly add a 12 degree SF tec head later this year.... several of options there.