Portland area course conditions

mallrat

We removed the majority of ropes last week. We have the hillsides on 10, where the bunkers used to be) fenced off along with the hillside going up 15 (where the big cross bunker used to be) but that is because we hydroseeded those areas and they are too soft to even walk in right now. Thete are quite a few areas of ground under repair; a white line painted around it. But it’s still really playable. The hillside on 4 where the new sod is is a drop zone because of the slope we want to give the sod extra time to take root

The only bunkers roped off are the fairway bunkers between 8 & 9 that replaces the church pews. We have only played compacted them once and they are still REALLY soft. Only other issue is there are a few bomb holes that we haven’t filled in yet where we tore out pampas grass. But the course is playing well. Rough is pretty wet though.

• 3 weeks later...

Kudos @mallrat
Played 18 at Langdon today. While my game looked like shit, the course did not. Plenty of mud to be found if you weren’t in the short stuff, but the fairways were firm and the greens were rolling true, with only one spot I noticed that was clearly under repair.
What’s up with the ninth green? Those two crowns were added, or did they get burned out somehow over the winter?
All in all, a sweet afternoon. Dodged the rain. Sun at times. I think the changes to the course are going to really settle in nicely. Got around in 3:17 and didn’t exactly make such good time by economy of strokes. Amazing I paid less than $20 to have that place basically to myself and not need rain gear once.

First, thanks. It’s amazing how far that goes and how much it’s appreciated. What’s even better is you had a freshly prepped course to yourself. Mowed fairways & collections and freshly rolled greens. You guys might not notice it but MAN those walk mowed greens are nice

The ridges on 9 (and 5 green) had a ton of moss patches so we just resodded them with fresh turf. Not sure when you tee’d off but you may have seen me on the prescribe green doing the same thing but on a smaller scale. We are going through every green and trying to pull out the moss and replace it with grass basically.

We are pleasantly surprised with how the course is drying out.

• 1 month later...

Splendid day at Langdon. Greens are perhaps 3/4 healed from the aerating and the new grass (former bunkers) is growing in. You can still tell where the bunkers used to be, but the areas are all playable, if still a little shaggy. Slight frost delay (20 minutes or so), but we finished in 4:10, which is great for this course on a full Sunday.

No rakes in the bunkers and we were all instructed to leave the flag in the hole. No raised cups or PVC pipe in the holes. The rough has dried out nicely and the fairways are absorbing the sanding well. In a couple weeks, things should be in top condition, especially with some rain in the forecast for next week. This was my post-Bandon round, and was not even that let down. I noticed several areas in various fairways where it looks like the aerator machine dug in a little deep and scraped out some chunks of turf, but it's not a big deal. Maybe a rookie on the machine this time?

Personally, I plan on getting out to play as much as I can. It's pretty easy to maintain the 6 ft of separation Especially as a result of tee shots...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

How were the pins? I cut a couple tough ones, was cranky this morning. Were the greens pretty clean? The mowers made a mess this morning and we had to clean them up. Not sure why no PVC in the cups, cups pulled up doesn’t work as people insist on stepping on them and pushing them down. They just insist on sticking their grubby hand in there so I had to bleach wipe the crap out of the flag sticks and cups

Normally we pull cores on the fairways but this time we used solid tines. Sometimes that seems to happen when the RPM’s are low, the turf gets kind of bound up.

Bunkers still need some good rain, they haven’t packed down as much as we would like.

Random question, why do people insist on moving the tee markers?

@mallrat have you guys tried the cups upside down? I can’t imagine it’s any more or less difficult to put into the ground. I played east Moreland and rose city recently and that has worked well. I have found that the reduced depth makes putting a tad bit more difficult as the ball can bounce out, however I’m happy with the compromise given current events.

Pin location on 15 and 16 were in places I have never seen them. I always hate a back pin on 7, but laced a 4 iron back there today only to miss a 6 footer for birdie.

The greens had quite a bit of debris, actually, but the group in front of us was not exactly respecting the course. I saw at least one club toss skitter across a green, and they were pulling every flag when they were on the greens. Twirps...

I think people move the tee markers to get to a more level area.

That is my favorite location on 15 and 16 I was just searching for no old cups. Some of them I was annoyed because of people not fixing their ballmarks so I would occasionally put a pin in the middle of the ballmarks to try and force people to fix them. I hate the back pin in 7 too but it doesn’t get used too often I prefer to keep it in front of the ridge.

Yeah it seems as a lot of people out there don’t play a lot and don’t understand some stuff. Saw quite a few big divots out of collections which I don’t get.

I should add the amount of people hitting driver on 15 now will slow things down.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that’s 1. Freaking beautiful shot.

If you set the pins when I was out there last two Tuesdays ago, you were definitely not in the same kind of mood that day. My group must have remarked on five separate holes how brutal they were.

3 - back right

7 - back right all the way

9 - tucked back middle on a go-F-yourself ridge

12 - back corner right pocket (I actually had a ton of fun on this one, but it was tough)

15 - back left on a go-F-yourself ridge

17 - back left corner pocket

Add in the 50 degrees and wind, and it’s no wonder it was a march of a round.

Saturday was front right on 6 correct?

I took it from the hill between 1 green and 2 tee.

I’m not working on M-W. So not sure who cut those pins but that is a bunch of crappy pins for 1 day. I would guess that is from the guy who doesn’t golf.

We are split into 2 crews right now because of the gatherings limit. One crew works 530 - 530 M, Tu & Weds then 530 -930 on Thurs. then we come in at 10:30 on Thurs & work until 2:30 the do 530 - 530 on F, Sat, & Sun.

Normally I cut on Fri, Sat & Sun but yesterday I rolled the greens because I’m the only one who can roll.

Urgh. Done that before. Hybrid usually works better from down in the hole, but you have to have tried it a few times to get the weight right. If it's dry, you can use a putter, but I've had better luck with the hybrid.

My approach on 6 is basically forget the flag. Fire at the middle of the green. If the flag is far front or far back, those are scary putts, but at least the big number is (usually) off the table.

Shortest par 5 on the course...

That’s the whole thing with 6, aim at the middle of the green, flag never matters. Worst case scenario is you 3 putt but that takes 5 & 6 off the table which is the average for that hole. Heck even bunker isn’t the worst place. Even if people miss the green I say don’t aim at the flag. Just put the ball in the middle of the green and take your medicine.

Kind of a similar strategy to par 5’s. When I was caddying last year it would amaze me why everyone would go for par 5’s in 2, even when there was no possible way of getting there. I actually bet a few people my caddy fee on #15 at Pronghorn. Decent drive and you are 200 - 220 out. Everyone wanted to go for it, I would ask them to hit a 9 or PW. 220 yards and you have to carry lava rocks on the right and have native with lava rocks 10 yards left of the green. Yes you have a VERY outside shot at eagle if everything goes perfect but you have an excellent chance at par with 4 average shots.

Good lord Langdon is in such great shape right now. Pins were NOT a display of masochism today. Very fair.

Just carded my first round ever in the 80s. And that was with a 6 on 6 after aiming at the middle of green but yanking it (cramped the ball) left onto the hills pin high. Rough scores there and 8. Cruised the rest of the way for this hacker at least!

We got around in great time and only had to wait much after 16.

Freaking awesome day out there. Wish I were still on the patio with a cold pitcher!

31M5AOKI3LX5.jpg

U2Z79GQEET6B.jpgShould have taken more pics, but just got in a zone and forgot to.

• 3 weeks later...

Played Langdon on Saturday. About 4:15 pace, and the tee sheet was jam-packed, so the changes to the course seem to have done the job. Fairways were running nicely and the greens were rolling very well. I assume that the greens crew is running at a reduced level, so kudos to the work they've been doing. Pretty much a perfect day for playing golf.

They had one of those new flagstick levers on 18, and I showed one of the group how it works. Very slick, and miles better than the pvc pipe. Nice to hear that 'k-dunk' when the ball drops.