2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Portland area course conditions

mallrat

Thinking of making the trek up to play next weekend. Maybe Riverside, Eastmoreland, Reserve, Pumpkin... any status updates?

I played South at Reserve a couple of weeks ago. The course was in good shape. Small issue with ranger pushing to get play going faster when it was unnecessary. Not my favorite course by any means.

It's probably the only "name" public course in the Portland area I haven't played yet. Sometime this summer I'll cross it off of my list. It sounds like I shouldn't have high hopes for it though.

You'll only be disappointed if you pay full retail for your round. Anything over $50 would seem like overpriced.

Thinking of making the trek up to play next weekend. Maybe Riverside, Eastmoreland, Reserve, Pumpkin... any status updates?

I played South at Reserve a couple of weeks ago. The course was in good shape. Small issue with ranger pushing to get play going faster when it was unnecessary. Not my favorite course by any means.

It's probably the only "name" public course in the Portland area I haven't played yet. Sometime this summer I'll cross it off of my list. It sounds like I shouldn't have high hopes for it though.

They aren't bad courses, just a design that I don't really click with (mainly the North course - South is ok), plus some drainage issues during the wet season. The facilities are great. But for me it's a long drive to play courses that don't suit my tastes.

Anytime from now through September should be good for drainage. Same for Pumpkin.

They all get more expensive as the summer goes along, especially Pumpkin.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I haven't looked recently, but both the north and south courses are on golfnow. They alternate as I'm sure you guys already know. I played Pumpkin a few years ago and was a little disappointed. It was February and I expected a better course. I lost a few balls in the fairway.

I haven't looked recently, but both the north and south courses are on golfnow. They alternate as I'm sure you guys already know. I played Pumpkin a few years ago and was a little disappointed. It was February and I expected a better course. I lost a few balls in the fairway.

That is not uncommon. No one I know up here plays Pumpkin in the winter.

I always have to check when the Reserve South Course is the 'public side' when I am considering playing there... I don't mind all the bunkers - most are very playable. I just don't like the layout of the North Course at all.

Just got done playing 18 this morning at Langdon. What a beautiful day to play. Course was in great shape with some tough pin placements that have been mentioned a few posts back. Joined up with 3 gentlemen that play Langdon regularly and have a Saturday group that has been together for many years they say. Today could have been an epic round as I was hitting it so well but couldn't make a putt. Shot an 80 from the whites. Pace of play was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better morning!

Thinking of taking some lessons from Bruce Furman @ Langdon. Anyone have any experience with him? I took a group chipping clinic a couple of months ago from him. He seems to have a wealth of knowledge. I don't think he uses TrackMan or other video technology (I could be wrong but I don't see any equipment anywhere by the range). Not a big deal to me as I mostly want to work on putting and 60 yards in.

Happy to hear suggestions on other instructors.

Just got done playing 18 this morning at Langdon. What a beautiful day to play. Course was in great shape with some tough pin placements that have been mentioned a few posts back. Joined up with 3 gentlemen that play Langdon regularly and have a Saturday group that has been together for many years they say. Today could have been an epic round as I was hitting it so well but couldn't make a putt. Shot an 80 from the whites. Pace of play was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better morning!

I love Langdon! If anyone needs a fourth sometime there or elsewhere, send me a PM.

Played in a charity scramble at Langdon on Monday. It was hot out there. The course is in great shape, especially the fairways. The greens were slower than I'm used to. Smooth, but slow. Quail's greens are playing considerably faster and it was a difficult adjustment.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

So I'm out for this Saturday, wife used the power of veto. But most other Saturdays I'm in and Langdon is perfect.

Good to hear you guys say the course is in great shape because we thought it was pretty rough. Spent all week on it. Today we verticut the greens and collection areas. Also added some sand to the bunkers this week, sand and seeded all divots, cut rough, 1st cut and fairways and are watering like crazy.

Played in a charity scramble at Langdon on Monday. It was hot out there. The course is in great shape, especially the fairways. The greens were slower than I'm used to. Smooth, but slow. Quail's greens are playing considerably faster and it was a difficult adjustment.

Which is crazy because the Reserves were significantly slower than Langdons.

• 2 weeks later...

Played at Langdon on Monday with WishIPlayedMore and it was a beautiful day. Really enjoyed meeting another WRXer. I have yet to have a bad experience with that - nothing but great guys who I would tee it up with any time!

The course was in fine shape overall. My only complaint was the lack of sand in the bottom of several bunkers on the front nine (I know..."then stay out of the bunkers!"). There were two or three I would classify as "dust on the the tarmac" where there's just a micro-coating of fine sand covering up a rock hard bottom. Blade city...

Greens were very nice and rolled true. Some hole placements were ...mmm... unique. A couple on sidehills with no real good spot to putt from.

Which bunkers Spud? I don't remember who cut the pins Saturday but we only get a 20 minute head start on the golfers so that is their way of slowing down the golfers and giving them time to finish up the greens. Who golfs at 5:20 in the morning.

Played Pumpkin on Tues the 4th. They must have had a really rough winter. Some of the tee boxes were horrible with what looked like rough growing sporadically in the tee boxes. Greens rolled fair but bounced a little and saw a few bare spots. I forgot how tiny those greens are. The fairways were firm but felt a little spongy. Never seen the rough there that short and the bunkers were horrible. Every bunker was what Spud described above. Had to play them like picking a ball off concrete. Still a good deal for $44 and got around in under 4:10, first time I got around that course in under 5 hours.

Right front on #4, right front on #5 and center right on #8, all as you're looking at the green from the fairway. #5 was the worst. Only thing that kept my ball from sailing off into the weeds on the left side mounding was the fact that it hit the lip and careened about 20 feet in the air, then settled about 30 feet away. Not the par putt I had in mind.

And yes, I realize that the above statement lays bare my inability to hit an iron shot all during the front nine...

any of you have recommendations for swing coaches in the beaverton/portland area? i've been really struggling lately with my swing. one day it'll feel great, i'll hit each club the distance i feel i should, and have relatively few mishits. on those days, i'll try to take mental note of what feelings i am having. on days when my swing isn't right, i try to get back to those feelings but some days i never find it again or if i do it's late in my practice session and i need to stop before fatigue gets too much to overcome

I would say it kinda depends on what you are looking for in a swing coach. I've taken a couple lessons in Palm Springs and the guy I saw there teaches with Bruce from Langdon in the winters. Had a lot of high praise for him. Heard him give a lesson or 2 and can't figure out if he works with people's swings or tries to fit them into his swing.

Someone whose swing thoughts and teachings I seem to really get along with is Jim Waldron out at Quail Valley. Has a pretty healthy WRX following. Only issue with him I see is some of his verbiage is out there or would take some getting used to.

I think the head pro at Pumpkin is ranked the best in the area fwiw but I know nothing about him.

I wish we had a few more options personally but that's what happens when you don't live in a golf Mecca.

I dunno if mallrat is speaking of Jerry Mowlds or Christopher Smith over at Pumpkin.

Christopher Smith writes a blog that I subscribe to, and it may be the only one I actually read.

He has a very interesting perspective on golf and life. He used to be really into the speed golf deal and would go out and shoot a 67 from the tips while jogging between shots and finishing in an under an hour or something crazy like that.

I have been hoping to get up and have him set up the SAM lab to do a putting lesson although I don't know if I'd actually jive with him in person. He offers a lot of inexpensive clinics, if you subscribe to the blog you could go over and see what you think before signing on for a private. He intrigues me, which is rare in this day and age.

I dunno if mallrat is speaking of Jerry Mowlds or Christopher Smith over at Pumpkin.

Christopher Smith writes a blog that I subscribe to, and it may be the only one I actually read.

He has a very interesting perspective on golf and life. He used to be really into the speed golf deal and would go out and shoot a 67 from the tips while jogging between shots and finishing in an under an hour or something crazy like that.

I have been hoping to get up and have him set up the SAM lab to do a putting lesson although I don't know if I'd actually jive with him in person. He offers a lot of inexpensive clinics, if you subscribe to the blog you could go over and see what you think before signing on for a private. He intrigues me, which is rare in this day and age.

I believe it's Mills's that I've heard about as the name sounds familiar.

I'm headed over to the coast to visit friends in Yachats. I'm going to try to slide a round in at Sandpines on Sunday and maybe another nine somewhere on the drive home. If I do, I'll update with the course conditions.

Tried really hard to justify the drive time and $$$ for a couple rounds at Bandon, but that probably isn't in the cards...

any of you have recommendations for swing coaches in the beaverton/portland area? i've been really struggling lately with my swing. one day it'll feel great, i'll hit each club the distance i feel i should, and have relatively few mishits. on those days, i'll try to take mental note of what feelings i am having. on days when my swing isn't right, i try to get back to those feelings but some days i never find it again or if i do it's late in my practice session and i need to stop before fatigue gets too much to overcome

Nick Mabry, who I think is the head pro now at Meriwether. He used to be at Red Tail. Great instructor, and superb club fitter. Nice guy, too.

Nick Mabry, who I think is the head pro now at Meriwether. He used to be at Red Tail. Great instructor, and superb club fitter. Nice guy, too.

i took some lessons from a guy named sandy out at meriwether a couple years ago. wedding present from the wife. wasn't impressed with his style. maybe i'll try nick. i need to get fit for my irons too. maybe a fitting and lesson in one so that i can get fit to the swing i want to have instead of my cr ap swing

Slightly off-topic, as these courses are on the Central Coast.

I was able to get in some golf this weekend, a round at Sandpines in Florence and a bonus 9 at Crestview, in Waldport.

Weather was beautiful, but varied between two and three-club winds all day. Sandpines took a real set of body-blows from the brutal winter we had in the PNW. They are still recovering. There were many large areas of fairways roped off that have obviously been not-so-small rainwater lakes only recently, and several mushy spots (though they had just watered heavily, so not sure how much of the mushiness was from that, as we haven't had much rain here in the last couple weeks). The fairways were not cut super close, and the primary rough was bordering on too deep. Maybe they're waiting for the grasses to fully heal before they cut them close, but I found it a bit annoying on the front nine, given that there was a lot of soft spots. The back nine was better, but it's more exposed.

About 25% of the bunkers were in absolutely abysmal condition. Unplayable, really. But most were in very good condition. It appears they are working their way around the course and restoring all their bunkers. Greens are in so-so condition. It looks like they are also transitioning from bentgrass to poa (whether they want to or not).

Curiously, of the half-dozen or so times I've played there, the place is almost deserted. The parking lot was almost empty. I teed off at 12 noon, played solo, and didn't see another golfer until 15. Can't figure that out. It's a great layout (Rees Jones), and usually in very good shape (weather damage/repair notwithstanding). The front nine is basically Bandon Trails Lite - mostly carved out of the heavy underbrush near the dunes. More forgiving, for sure. The back nine is more Bandon Dunes Lite - open and rolling. The course should be packed on a sunny Sunday in June.

Crestview was a pleasant track, not anywhere near the beach, but up on a ridge. The driving range is really just a big shed with some mats and nets. But it was a decent design with some elevation changes and a couple 500-yard holes. I was also the only golfer in sight on a very pleasant afternoon. Greens were a bit shaggy, but once I got the speed down, rolled very well. The small pro shop was well stocked with essentials and the woman at the desk was very friendly. I would definitely play here again. Took me under an hour and a half to make the circuit.

Yeah, like I said, I think I caught them about 3/4 of the way through their recovery. Should be good in a month or so. I know bunkers can be a lot of work.

The good news is that they have a plentiful supply of Oregon coast sand (being in the middle of the Dunes region of the Central Coast), so it should be fairly cheap and easily acquired...