Portland area course conditions

mallrat

It should be recovered by now. Word is they are going to convert the whole course to fescue ?Not sure how that will work.

If you have played it before, heads up, on 12 there is now a Creek/something type thing, running across the whole fairway about 15 yards wide. It starts around 100 yds out, so if you lay up be mindful of that. Last time I played I was the only one who didn't put their ball in it

The course was pretty good. It didn't displace Langdon as my go to course up there, but it was good. I think I could probably knock 5 strokes off of my round knowing the course better. I played with a guy who didn't give me the best advice. For example, he told me the water was 360 yards away from the tee on #18. So I proceeded to put it into the drink haha.

The round did take 5.5 hours which we weren't happy about. There were 3 groups in front of us playing a mini tournament and they were painfully slow. The course was empty in front of them.

Sadly, I got lost on my way home. I don't have GPS. Somewhere along the way, I took a wrong turn and stopped at a 7-11 to get directions. Kudos to the man who told me to take Brookdale to Highway 26 to Highway 217. Without him, I'm probably still driving around Hillsboro :D

Played east moreland for the first time this year. I was AMAZED that there were still SOGGY SPOTS...it's Mid-July! I'm not sure what it was a result of, but a person I was paired up with had two plugged balls. There were plenty of dry spots - so dry that the grass has yellowed and you're basically hitting off hard pan, in the middle of the fairway.

Greens were decent, but as dry and warm as it's been, I couldn't believe we still had to fix deep ball marks on the green (over watered?) I haven't had to fix such deep ball marks since back in March. Of the muni's, heron lakes and rose city are in MUCH better shape.

To top it off - it took just about 3 hours to play the front nine. Being twilight, back was pretty clear so at least I didn't have to wait on each shot.

I noticed that about Eastmoreland too the few times I played this season so far. Course was still very playable though.

Played Heron Saturday and it was fantastic. The greens are very firm there, but a little slower than you would expect once rolling which threw me off. Fairways were very firm and running well. The best part about it was there weren't that many people out on the course in the evening. Barely eeked out 18 holes before it got dark, taking only 3:30 to play. That would be unheard of at Redtail, and frankly Langdon as well (at least during twilight). What was really strange about Heron was how hard the bunkers were. Is that just how the sand is supposed to be there? I've noticed the sand at Langdon is a little firmer than other places, but this was almost winter levels of packed.

Anybody travelling south shoot me a PM always happy to play with a fellow WRX'er. Everything playing great around Medford. Although the Running Y is a no go. A lot of temporary greens from what I hear.

That's too bad about Running Y. I love that course. I played Centennial in April. I used to live in Ashland and that is my go to course down there. I really enjoyed playing it in April because our courses here were muddy and Centennial was nice and dry. First decent course I had played in what felt like 6 months of winter.

I called over to the Running Y this morning to verify what I'd heard.

They lost 6 greens on the back nine. They've overseeded them and are playing them, but simply said, yeah they're going to be bumpy.

Can't understand why they didn't have maintenance shovel the snow from the greens or cover them or something. Somehow places like Copper Mtn. Colorado keep greens going with 9 months of snow although we did have a snowy winter down here last year.

Centennial and Eagle Point have been in nice shape.

I noticed that about Eastmoreland too the few times I played this season so far. Course was still very playable though.

Played Heron Saturday and it was fantastic. The greens are very firm there, but a little slower than you would expect once rolling which threw me off. Fairways were very firm and running well. The best part about it was there weren't that many people out on the course in the evening. Barely eeked out 18 holes before it got dark, taking only 3:30 to play. That would be unheard of at Redtail, and frankly Langdon as well (at least during twilight). What was really strange about Heron was how hard the bunkers were. Is that just how the sand is supposed to be there? I've noticed the sand at Langdon is a little firmer than other places, but this was almost winter levels of packed.

Yes, unfortunately the greens at Heron Lakes GB are horrible. It's like they have given up raking them completely.

If you mean the LPGA event, it's now the Cambia Classic and is held at Columbia Edgewater

Its the Winco Foods Portland Open, a web.com event, formerly known (I assume) as the Safeway Open, which takes place August 21-27 at Pumpkin.

The Safeway Classic was the LPGA event that used to be played at Pumpkin Ridge. The Winco Open Web.com event is new, 2014, I believe.

Played at Langdon this morning with WRX'rs DeNinny, jpdx and WishIPlayedMore. Awesome round - great guys!

The course is really nice right now. Getting into Summer Mode: running fairways and quick greens. Hole positions were still challenging. Those guys are getting creative with some of their hole placements. Greens are really nice right now, and bunkers are much improved. Hard to find any faults with my home course...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Perfect morning for golf. Thanks for putting it together Spud3. You are so right about the course conditions. After playing Big Blue Friday morning and having challenges finding good lies in the fairway, Langdon impressed as usual. Lots of fun to get out with fellow WRXers.

Played at Langdon this morning with WRX'rs DeNinny, jpdx and WishIPlayedMore. Awesome round - great guys!

The course is really nice right now. Getting into Summer Mode: running fairways and quick greens. Hole positions were still challenging. Those guys are getting creative with some of their hole placements. Greens are really nice right now, and bunkers are much improved. Hard to find any faults with my home course...

They are trying to take some of the wear off certain areas on the greens so getting creative is one way to do it. The tournaments during the week are pretty hard on the greens. We went back to hand mowing the greens and they look and roll really good, IMO. Fairways are playing firm for how much we are watering them. I think our Super is doing a great job for a 1st year super (heck, his 3rd month).

Did you guys see the guy watering the entryway on your way in? If so, ''twas I

You must be watering a lot, as I found a bubble spot in the fairway on 18. Tapped it with my foot and it was like an 18" bag of water under the turf.

The greens were really nice today. Thumbs up to the crew and the super!.

Close to the cart path, not to far from that random fairway bunker?

There is a leak in the irrigation system that they have been trying to find for 3 or 4 days.

yep, that's the spot, about even with the north edge of the lake.

I would guess the turf there is just hydroponic, as the bubble was a good 6" high. Tapped it with my foot and it was like tapping a waterbed.

Kudos again on the course conditions. I'll bet for the next week you guys are going to be playing some serious Defense...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Good fun guys. Nice to meet you all and I really enjoyed the round Saturday and looking forward to the next round!

Good fun guys. Nice to meet you all and I really enjoyed the round Saturday and looking forward to the next round!

You guys are dragging me out of my posting hiatus.

'twas a pleasure to play with all you gentlemen. And yeah I'm looking forward to more rounds to come...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7