Portland area course conditions

mallrat

That settles it, I need to play Chambers soon.

Traffic wasn't too bad yesterday afternoon from Seattle through Olympia. What time did you leave Tacoma?

I wouldn't miss it. Minus the history, it was more intriguing, visually stimulating, and just plain fun to me than Pebble.

It was brisk at 8:00 AM when I got there, so I wanted to hit a few balls to get the blood flowing. Watching the first ball bounce and skip down the hill, you think, yes! Today I'm going to need to play these slopes with every shot. Again, the contours and the tight windows in a few places might seem contrived and too penal in a lot of wind, but yesterday I thought it played very fair.

I left at 2:30 and it was a little slow being Friday afternoon. Around Olympia and getting over the bridge in PDX. But, maps said 2.5 hours and that's what it took to Tigard. Lighter traffic in the morning, cruise was set at 75, but coming home you make some time up because traffic is moving at a quicker clip.

Played the Reserve North course today on what could be the last nice day of the year. Course was in great shape actually, just a few spots of rough that were soft but they were mostly well away from the fairway. Greens were punched and sanded about 5 days ago, and were pretty inconsistent green to green. Just the way aerification is I guess, but frustrating nonetheless. Really enjoyed the course itself, and will definitely be looking to play there once the weather starts clearing up next year.

Side note, one guy that I played with said that he was thinking about joining at Pumpkin. He mentioned that the members only course was actually quite playable in the winter, similar to Langdon. Wondering if you guys had any input on that.

Played the Great Blue yesterday in some beautiful fall weather. Greens are almost back, still a bit bumpy. Overall on decent shape except for left side fairway on 16. It looks like a war zone. I called it all ground under repair and found a decent spot.

The pin must have been on the lower part of the green - when it's up on the high side, playing from that left fairway leaves an impossible approach.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Played the Reserve North course today on what could be the last nice day of the year. Course was in great shape actually, just a few spots of rough that were soft but they were mostly well away from the fairway. Greens were punched and sanded about 5 days ago, and were pretty inconsistent green to green. Just the way aerification is I guess, but frustrating nonetheless. Really enjoyed the course itself, and will definitely be looking to play there once the weather starts clearing up next year.

Side note, one guy that I played with said that he was thinking about joining at Pumpkin. He mentioned that the members only course was actually quite playable in the winter, similar to Langdon. Wondering if you guys had any input on that.

Funny thing is I love the layout of the North course, they have just let it go lately. I was told that at Langdon our maintenance budget was the same as there for both courses.

I have heard the Pumpkins private course drains better but that whole piece of property is a swamp. I just can't see it being that much better and for the price and location I don't get it, and I'm on the west side. Just couldn't justify joining there if I lived any closer than Hillsboro

Agree with mallrat - I'd be very skeptical about any claims of drainability at Pumpkin. Before I would even think about joining, I'd ask to schedule a few rounds after a couple weeks of weather in the winter. While no PDX course is going to be Bandon-playable, there are a few that are certainly acceptable in the dead of December.

Has anyone played Gearhardt Golf Links? I know it's owned by one of the Boyle's and he supposedly put a bunch of $ into it.

Really enjoy playing there. have ended up there once a year for the last 3 yrs or so. I really enjoy the track, but I really wish it had ocean views. Small greens, but have always been firm and fast like the nicer courses here in town. I've never played there after a downpour so I'm not sure what it's like but I know that they've removed a number of trees that were felled during a storm and I think they also took that opportunity to do some re-modeling of the course and I think that included improving drainage. too bad there's no driving range...at least not what we would consider a driving range. I saw some heavy equipment last time I was out there (may of this year) and work is continuing in areas but nowhere that affected play.

Played the Great Blue yesterday in some beautiful fall weather. Greens are almost back, still a bit bumpy. Overall on decent shape except for left side fairway on 16. It looks like a war zone. I called it all ground under repair and found a decent spot.

The pin must have been on the lower part of the green - when it's up on the high side, playing from that left fairway leaves an impossible approach.

yep, you are exactly right. I could see the pin placement from the tee and hit a good shot to the left fairway. When it's back / left I try to play the right side fairway so you are playing directly up the green from that angle for that pin.

It'd would be nice if Cannon Beach had a great links course you guys could day trip to when it gets real wet. I wish we had something a little closer than Bandon, but in the whole scheme we're pretty lucky.

Langdon plays well in the winter. You could also visit Three Rivers in Kelso WA, it's petty dry the whole year.

I know it's not really wet yet and we plugged last week but was amazed to see tee shots bouncing and getting 20-30 yards of roll today.

A couple of us visited today Langdon today. As far as the conditions...ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? On course It didn't even seem like we got all that rain yesterday and overnight. Not to mention all the rain this past week. Wow! Kudos to the grounds crew. GREAT JOB!!! We were commenting on how we were all impressed with how it played. Now if we could change the direction of wind on a couple holes....

I know it's not really wet yet and we plugged last week but was amazed to see tee shots bouncing and getting 20-30 yards of roll today.

A couple of us visited today Langdon today. As far as the conditions...ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? On course It didn't even seem like we got all that rain yesterday and overnight. Not to mention all the rain this past week. Wow! Kudos to the grounds crew. GREAT JOB!!! We were commenting on how we were all impressed with how it played. Now if we could change the direction of wind on a couple holes....

+1

All the work putting this drain lines this summer are paying off. Nice work!

Greens are almost healed from the punching, just a little bumpy and shaggy. Should be great next weekend after a week of sun and mild temps.

How were the greens? Everything coming back from aerification? We have top dressed 3 or 4 times since last Tuesday which definitely helps with the rain.

+1

All the work putting this drain lines this summer are paying off. Nice work!

Greens are almost healed from the punching, just a little bumpy and shaggy. Should be great next weekend after a week of sun and mild temps.

Couple more planned for this year. It's awesome that we have our own machine for those where as most courses have to go rent the machine and then pay a separate crew to come in and do the work.

I mowed collections on Tues and then it was too wet to do anything besides greens the rest of the week so didn't really get a good look at the greens.

If you guys get a chance, we have a new guy Nick. He was one of the spray tech's at Bandon and has being on turf crews off and on since the '90's. Younger guy with dark hair and a goatee. Say hi, super nice guy who loves to talk shop and will give you all kinds of secrets about that place. (I had no idea how hard they have to fight moss)

How were the greens? Everything coming back from aerification? We have top dressed 3 or 4 times since last Tuesday which definitely helps with the rain.

Played with spud3 and wishiplayedmore. Greens I thought were great considering how recently aerated.

Played with spud3 and wishiplayedmore. Greens I thought were great considering how recently aerated.

+1. Greens healing nicely

Played Langdon yesterday afternoon. Really impressed with the condition the greens were in. They looked bumpy because the texture of the plugs is still there, but they rolled very well and much faster than I was ready for. The texture threw me off the most, and took nearly the whole front nine to get used to. Also, how do you guys play #6 when you find yourself down there on the apron?

Having raved about Langdon, I played Redtail Sunday and seriously considered putting with an 8-iron because of how comically slow and bumpy the greens were (I 4-putted from 35 feet on the first green). I was looking to get a serious nine in, but conditions were bad enough that I couldn't justify posting the score for my HC. Many of the bunkers had turned into ponds (4, 11, 12 are the ones I noticed), and fairways were starting to become water logged (7 and 11 especially).

You've just described my experience at Red Tail almost every time I've played there...

As for Langdon #6 (also known as the "shortest par 5 on the course"), if I'm down in one of the collection areas, I almost always use a putter; especially if it's summer and the turf is dry. I also use a hybrid if it's really wet or if I'm off far enough to be in the longer grass. Trying to chip up that high off that tight (or wet) lie and have the ball stop is a very low percentage shot. It usually produces either a chip that rolls back down or the dreaded ping-pong from one side of that turtle back green to the other.

As Spud said putter or hybrid. Is generally the play on 6. That said I often play it different. Not sure why but I like to chip with a closed face and play some roll, it’s a very comfortable shot for me. Because of this I hit a very low ball and will play a hard low bump that right into the hill that kills it. The ball will generally pop straight up and roll out about 3-5 ft. But that can turn into ping pong real quick.

One more thing, what I have noticed to work best (I see a lot of golf on that hole) is if in a collection area, ignore the pin and take the best line to get the ball on the putting surface. From down there par is a bonus, take a 2 putt bogey, be happy and move on.

Played the back nine at Heron Lakes (Blue) yesterday after finishing my lawn chores earlier than I thought :)

The greens are mostly healed from punching, fairways were not in spectacular shape, but I admit to being spoiled by playing mostly at Langdon Farms. As expected for a very pleasant Sunday fall afternoon, pace was glacial.

Worth all of the $22 I green fee...

Played Wildwood on Friday for a charity scramble. Wow what a fun course, didn’t even know it was there. Not the greatest course ever but definitely something I will go out of my way to play once or twice a year. Great pace of play, just under 4 hours. Not ideal to walk but oh well. I’d give it a solid 6.8 (as a guide I ha e Langdon a solid 8.1, Stone Creek a good 7.7 and Pumpkin a smooth 6.6, only course i have close to a 10 in my book is Trails at a 9.6.)

Course was in good condition but the greens were slow. I imagine that place is a swamp in the winter though.

On a side note i’m Going to start a rating system and hope some of you guys will join me. I hate the way courses are rated by magazines and have my own criteria. I’ll update everyone when I get back from AZ.

On a side note i'm Going to start a rating system and hope some of you guys will join me. I hate the way courses are rated by magazines and have my own criteria. I'll update everyone when I get back from AZ.

I like it. I'm in.

Alright so I want to start a website alternative to the major rankings because I hate that they are influenced by what the course does for the raters. I’d be curious to get your feedback and opinions but here are some things I look for.

1) course layout and design - are there options off the tee or do you have to hit the same club? Do the par 3’s vary in length and challenges? Are there memorable holes or does everything blend together?

2) course conditions

3) was it fun to play. I include in this How were you treated? Was the beverage cart there or did they should up on the 2nd and 16th hole (personal pet peeve)

4) value - an example imo, is Pumpkin is the worst value i’ve found, over $100 for 5+ hour round of losing balls in the fairway and anything in the rough, no thanks. Where OGA is an exceptional value $40 for a course in good shape that plays fairly quickly. Don’t love the layout but for the $ it’s well worth it.

5) intengibles - is there just something about the course? Is the restaurant the best you’ve eating at. But this works the opposite way, is there just a feel about the course that is off (Aspen Lakes is like that for me)

Am I missing anything?

On a side note i'm Going to start a rating system and hope some of you guys will join me. I hate the way courses are rated by magazines and have my own criteria. I'll update everyone when I get back from AZ.

I like it. I'm in.

Alright so I want to start a website alternative to the major rankings because I hate that they are influenced by what the course does for the raters. I'd be curious to get your feedback and opinions but here are some things I look for.

1) course layout and design - are there options off the tee or do you have to hit the same club? Do the par 3's vary in length and challenges? Are there memorable holes or does everything blend together?

2) course conditions

3) was it fun to play. I include in this How were you treated? Was the beverage cart there or did they should up on the 2nd and 16th hole (personal pet peeve)

4) value - an example imo, is Pumpkin is the worst value i've found, over $100 for 5+ hour round of losing balls in the fairway and anything in the rough, no thanks. Where OGA is an exceptional value $40 for a course in good shape that plays fairly quickly. Don't love the layout but for the $ it's well worth it.

5) intengibles - is there just something about the course? Is the restaurant the best you've eating at. But this works the opposite way, is there just a feel about the course that is off (Aspen Lakes is like that for me)

Am I missing anything?

Practice facilities?