Ping Anser TR 1966

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested the Anser 2 in a shop yesterday. What a great putter. It felt very soft, even when using the bricks that were on offer as practice balls. I'm very tempted by one of these, especially with the Star Shot finish. Ideally though I'd like to get rid of the cavity sight line. Not sure if that is possible?

I went through Morton's to ask about getting a WRX Anser 2 without a sightline, the response was:

"Unfortunately Ping is no longer producing the TR 1966 putters in Right Hand"

Even when they were available for custom order, the sight line delete from the Anser 2 was not an option. Removing the paintfill was as much as they would do.

I'm late to the party, so these putters are no longer available ? Yet they are still on the website...?

From previous posts, whatever is in inventory now at online and retail stores are what is left. Ping isn't producing more.

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Does anyone know if the limited Original that's coming out is naked? I pray to God it doesn't have a sight line.

Edit: never mind I found the address picture, can't wait for this LE original! I'm glad I didn't pick up the TR66.

The TR 1966 vs LE isn't really a fair comparison. The TR is about 1/5th the price and has the TR tech. Which is a huge reason why so many people luv it. The LE is a totally different beast imo.

Picked up one of these tonight from my local shop. Agree with you guys that it's good.

Does anyone know how Ping increased the weight to 340g? The weight feels much better.

I only wish they could be 100% US made. The TR will have to grow on me. I liked the old school Pingman on the face. All in all I'm a sucker for old school Ping, and glad to have this putter.

Picked up one of these tonight from my local shop. Agree with you guys that it's good.

Does anyone know how Ping increased the weight to 340g? The weight feels much better.

I only wish they could be 100% US made. The TR will have to grow on me. I liked the old school Pingman on the face. All in all I'm a sucker for old school Ping, and glad to have this putter.

The bumpers are much deeper, the face is thicker and deeper.........

Need some advice guys....I fractured my wrist so I'm out of the game for 4-5 weeks. I am going to send my TR 1966 Anser in to ping through Mortons to get a sight line added to the top rail. I'm kind of fond of the bronze PVD, but wondering if I am missing out if I don't get it refinished in starshot. I've seen the pictures here, but still can't decide. The bronze PVD makes it look unique in a sea of gray putters, but how has the PVD finish been holding up for most of you? I use an AM&E snap fit magnetic cover on it, so I don't have the Velcro wear problem some have reported. I should also mention that glare is my enemy on putters, and the bronze PVD has been working good to reduce the glare. I've seen some reports of increased glare after going to the star shot finish, which makes me nervous.

Need some advice guys....I fractured my wrist so I'm out of the game for 4-5 weeks. I am going to send my TR 1966 Anser in to ping through Mortons to get a sight line added to the top rail. I'm kind of fond of the bronze PVD, but wondering if I am missing out if I don't get it refinished in starshot. I've seen the pictures here, but still can't decide. The bronze PVD makes it look unique in a sea of gray putters, but how has the PVD finish been holding up for most of you? I use an AM&E snap fit magnetic cover on it, so I don't have the Velcro wear problem some have reported. I should also mention that glare is my enemy on putters, and the bronze PVD has been working good to reduce the glare. I've seen some reports of increased glare after going to the star shot finish, which makes me nervous.

Depends on you really, esp if you say you're prone to glare. The stock finish of the Anser 2 has been fine for me, and the starshot is even less reflective and is darker, so I'd say don't worry about it. That being said, I've never been bothered by glare in all my years of playing, and I don't even play in sun glasses. If you like the bronze as-is, no reason to change it.

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

Leave it bronze.....let it wear, patina makes it look more tour........

Totally agree with this statement. But since it's not bronze, it won't patina. It's just a cheap gold-colored PVD. Barring outside influence, it will look the same in 50 years as it does today.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Totally agree with this statement. But since it's not bronze, it won't patina. It's just a cheap gold-colored PVD. Barring outside influence, it will look the same in 50 years as it does today.

Cheap is the key word. That PVD will wear in no time. Even the simple act of pulling the putter in and out of the headcover will show wear on the bumpers in a few months.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54* WS
Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
Cleveland HB SOFT  11 @ 35"

Apologize in advance if this has been asked --- can this be bent upright 2 degrees? I've been told yes and no......

yes. I had Golf Galaxy do mine, even though I was hesitant about letting them do it, it was ,my only option and it came out fine.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

Cheap is the key word. That PVD will wear in no time. Even the simple act of pulling the putter in and out of the headcover will show wear on the bumpers in a few months.

Okay maybe Patina is not quite the correct term, I meant let it wear....the stainless will show through on the corners and edges...it will look more of a tool than an item of jewellery........yes the PVD will not tarnish.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump because I'm liking my Anser 2. Took me a few rounds to get used to the alignment for some reason, initially was lining it up right of target. My distance control isn't quite there yet though, but that's on me of course.

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

Expecting my Anser back from Ping WRX tomorrow with a newly added sight line on the top rail. In Ping's hands for less than two weeks, and will be in my hands exactly three weeks from the day I shipped it. Seannie at Morton's handled everything for me, and pending any problems when I receive the package tomorrow everything has exceeded my expectations.

Edit: it arrived and it looks great! Can't wait to get it out on the course!

Expecting my Anser back from Ping WRX tomorrow with a newly added sight line on the top rail. In Ping's hands for less than two weeks, and will be in my hands exactly three weeks from the day I shipped it. Seannie at Morton's handled everything for me, and pending any problems when I receive the package tomorrow everything has exceeded my expectations.

Edit: it arrived and it looks great! Can't wait to get it out on the course!

Pics man! Didn't opt for the starshot while it was there?