2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser TR 1966

thinch84

Expecting my Anser back from Ping WRX tomorrow with a newly added sight line on the top rail. In Ping's hands for less than two weeks, and will be in my hands exactly three weeks from the day I shipped it. Seannie at Morton's handled everything for me, and pending any problems when I receive the package tomorrow everything has exceeded my expectations.

Edit: it arrived and it looks great! Can't wait to get it out on the course!

Seannie at Morton's is so good at what she does.

Yadi for President

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my custom Anser. This thing is the best putter I have had to date. I cut it back down to 35" and threw a corded pp58 midsize on. My buddy who is a big Scotty guy keeps commenting on how good the putter looks and that I am putting the best he has seen in the 5 years we have been playing. I wasnt sure on the tungsten weight but I think it got the MOI up and makes this thing super stable.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I liked my 1966 TR Anser 2 so much that I went to my local retailer and pulled the trigger on the gold Anser. There's something about the simplicity of this thing that I really like. No sight line, no cherry bombs, screws, weights, or any other visual distractions. I love the "original" shape, classic color, sound slot and tri-sole! This is the putter I've been longing for. I always wished Ping would build a heavier version of their classics. These are the ones.

True roll - take it or leave it. Doesn't bother me though.

Will it kick out my 2008 SC studio stainless? Time will tell. The SC is a great putter. I've won a few tourneys with it.

Overall I'm pumped that Ping made these for those of us who fell in love with the brand back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

read this entire thread yesterday......I'm now the proud owner of a 34" Anser TR1966! damn you Golfwrx! Just got back to the office after a 1.5 hr practice session. Like others have said, love the simplicity of the this putter. Old school looks with some new school tech. Now, I debating on weather or not I mess with the grip.....might go with Lamkin SINK......on the fence. this putter feels like going back to an old high school girlfriend.....think she'll work out just fine.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Pics man! Didn't opt for the starshot while it was there?

I know not many agree with me, but I kind of like the gold finish. It looks good on the green behind the ball, and it stands out in a sea of steel gray putters.

I love the finish.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag

I had an Anser 1966 and liked it OK, but the back edge of the top rail was wavy (i.e., not perfectly straight/square). It's cast so it shouldn't necessarily be perfect like a milled putter but it was quite noticeable. Once I noticed it I couldn't stop my eyes from focusing on it. Anyone else notice this? Kind of want to try this model again but hesitant to order one unseen, afraid I'll get another flawed topline.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I had an Anser 1966 and liked it OK, but the back edge of the top rail was wavy (i.e., not perfectly straight/square). It's cast so it shouldn't necessarily be perfect like a milled putter but it was quite noticeable. Once I noticed it I couldn't stop my eyes from focusing on it. Anyone else notice this? Kind of want to try this model again but hesitant to order one unseen, afraid I'll get another flawed topline.

Just curious, which odyssey is that in your profile pic?

Just curious, which odyssey is that in your profile pic?

White Hot Pro #3. Merely a run of the mill Odyssey, but it's one of my favorite putters ever and have tried a bunch including Scottys, Mills, etc.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The 66 Anser reminds me of the classic flat sole Dalehead. Same simple lines and clean sole, but a modern weight of 340 grams. I didn't like the stock midsize grip so that got replaced with a black Pure classic. Flattened the lie, upped the loft, and put it in the bag.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the PVD finish, but that's hardly a deal breaker for me. I haven't had a putter that feels this soft in a long time. If it really is a limited run, I'm glad I got one.

Any way to strip the finish on these? If not what's the wear look like? Have a chance to pick one up and from what I've read ping isn't doing the starshot finish on them if you send them in anymore.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

The 66 Anser reminds me of the classic flat sole Dalehead. Same simple lines and clean sole, but a modern weight of 340 grams. I didn't like the stock midsize grip so that got replaced with a black Pure classic. Flattened the lie, upped the loft, and put it in the bag.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the PVD finish, but that's hardly a deal breaker for me. I haven't had a putter that feels this soft in a long time. If it really is a limited run, I'm glad I got one.

I'm going to copy you. Today I started the round with the 66 Anser and the feel was bad. I pulled out my Scotty and instantly regained confidence. It's mostly because of the fat putter grip. Let's see how it feels with the blackout grip. Still I love the putter and will give it another chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to custom order an Anser 2. Seannie at Morton's told me they are no longer available in right hand from Ping. Picked one up off the 'bay and will have to get it customized.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Apparently it was a limited production run. I still see a few at the local GG and GS stores though.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sound and feel is subjective, but with the slot I'd say they have a "clicky" sound. I like it in the Anser. I also bought an anser2 as I like both.

Now after almost a year could these who got the Anser with starshot finish please tell me how the finish holds up? As a lefty it's still possible to order this putter new but would like to know if the finish is durable. Thanks.

I'd also like to get feedback on the durability of the starshot finish, as I'm about to send it to PingWrx for some customizing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound and feel is subjective, but with the slot I'd say they have a "clicky" sound. I like it in the Anser. I also bought an anser2 as I like both.

Now after almost a year could these who got the Anser with starshot finish please tell me how the finish holds up? As a lefty it's still possible to order this putter new but would like to know if the finish is durable. Thanks.

I'd also like to get feedback on the durability of the starshot finish, as I'm about to send it to PingWrx for some customizing.

On that subjective note. I would have said it sounded like a "tink" not really clicky or tinny. Some have described it as a "ping" as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I rolled a few with the TR 1966 Anser today and was so loving the results that I picked one up. Whether this makes the bag is yet to be seen but I collect putters so all good. Loved the simplicity of the setup and look at address - never putted with a putter without any alignment aids and I liked how clutter free it looked. I also loved the sound slot and audible 'ping' sound at impact, and i loved the true roll putter face, especially since i typically don't love inserts. A little reservation about the gold color, and how it will look on a putting green, but will have to wait until the season rolls around. Even loved the simple black headcover and midsized grip. True no nonsense putter at a reasonable price.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

To me, the slot makes it feel a touch clickier but not in a bad way. It's a very subtle difference. The Anser 2 feels a little more muted in comparison.

My Anser is starshot but I can't comment on the wear because I only used it twice on the course; the Anser 2 ended up in the bag all year instead.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up an Anser 2 and should have it in hand next week.

I needed this putter shape back in my collection, and I'm hoping the TR grooves will at least temporarily satisfy my Evnroll curiosity.

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

• 1 month later...

I actually benched my Voss for a TR1966 Anser I had sent to WRX. Starshot, Sight Dot added, loft and lie adjusted. Voss never felt right to me.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 1 year later...

Well, was tinkering with my bronze, TR Anser head for a sometime, and had a Red/White/Blue paint-fill scheme going for awhile now. I loved the feel, roll and look, even the lead tape I perfectly placed in the flange area beyond the sound slot. However, I began noticing some slight wear marks around the neck and bumpers, presumably from the Velcro enclosure. I was forever bothered by this after noticing. That got me interested in a possible refinish, so I searched the topic thoroughly. After several threads, I discovered flame torching and was instantly intrigued. I had seen this finish on putters before. I thought it was "oil can" method or the like, and believed it would be too time intensive and costly. Come to find out, most of the stainless heads I was liking had been torched. Now, I am no pro on the subject, but decided to do the same to mine. Hand sanded it with 220 grit paper on down through 800 and 1500. Even applied a polishing compound rub once I got it sufficiently smooth. Bought the MAPP gas torch and 50 minutes after I cleaned it up with acetone and rubbing alcohol, with careful flame application, I was in love. Added some white paint-fill and voila, my new TR Anser! The finish may not be perfect or to everyones' liking, but I think my first attempt was a success. DIY custom work is so satisfying as well. :to_become_senile: At work currently, but pics coming soon!

Also, I have ordered a custom putter shoe from 'girlygolfer.com' with a magnetic closure to avoid any further wearing of the finish.

Hey mate. after you sanded it, what did it look like before the torch?

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys,

I would like to bring this thread back up. What re-finishing options are there besides sending back to ping. Is there any chemical treatments to remove the bronze pvd? Thanks

Ping G410 LST 9* PX HC T1100 EvenFlow 75 6.5

Callaway Mini 1.5 10* PX HC T1100 Hzrdus 85 6.5
Ping G410 LST 14.5* PX HC T1100 EvenFlow 85 6.5

Ping G425 16.5* PX HC Hzrdus Black 95 6.5
Ping G410 17* PX EvenFlow White 100 6.5
Ping G425 XR 2i PX EvenFlow White 100 6.5
Ping I210 4-Pw Fujikura MCI 120 X
Ping Glide 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 WS Fujikura MCI Wedge Mild

Ping Eye 2 XG LW Recoil Proto Spin
Ping Redwood Anser TR 1.5