What do you do when your game falls apart?

Shawn Paul

How do you get out of a rut / bad place on a day when your game falls apart? How do you shake yourself back into focus and get over a bad shot?

When I come of the rails I simply try to remember the basics of my swing. I slow down, I have a smoke. I try to block distractions out. One shot at a time.

The other day my pal and I were playing a round at the simulator (its cold up here in 'sota) and about halfway through he totally fell apart. To his credit this has happened to him before on epic proportions. Once he loses it, its over and there is no getting it back. He would be best served to head to the clubhouse for a sandwich and a beer. At the end he kept saying, "I just wish this was over."

4 days later we attempted the sim again, after 3 holes he tapped out. Swing and confidence utterly destroyed.

I think for most of us our first instinct is to give advice when something like this happens but it rarely works for the person at the time.

What helps you when it falls apart and how can I best help someone else?

Well, your swing does not change dramatically from good shot to bad shot. That's the beauty and the difficulty with golf. You really can be mostly pretty consistent but the level of consistency required to execute good shots repeatedly is v e r y high and most of us do not have those chops. So if your results suddenly get very crummy (I like the idea of results more than "swing") then something is a bit off somewhere---but the point of my reply is that it is a bit off somewhere.

It does not require you to take your swing down to the studs and rebuild the darn thing and in my opinion that kind of response will more often than not lead to golf misery.

Usually the swing does not really change much at all. What changes more often than not is the sequence and so I find that teeing up a 7 iron, putting my feet vey close together and hitting the ball does wonders for my tempo and is even better for the sequence. Try that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually quit for 2-3 weeks.

That usually gives me enough time to forget what ever bad habit I picked up and my game is somewhat back to normal. Although my game since moving to Asia has gone downhill due to the fact I don't get to go to the driving range at all.

Cobra Fly-Z+ 10.5 Driver
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood
Cobra Fly-Z 3 Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons: 4-PW
Cleveland CG14 55' & 60'
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.onintwogolf.com[/url]

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.g[/url][url="http://www.golfrefinement.com"]olfrefinement.com[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Slow it down.

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 130MSI 70 TX
Taylormade Sim2 3W 15* w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue Stiff
Srixon H65 3H 19* w/ Mizayaki Kaula 7S
Ping i500 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw Milled Grind 50-54-58 
Bettinardi Model 1 Armlock 

I forgot to add a great tip I seen years ago, and I bit a lot of you have seen it as well. If you get tight your game is in the dump. Take a driver and grasp the head end and try to swing it fast. if you can't your nerves are beat, and you will have to relax to get it to whip through. When I feel like a wimp, I do this drill to find out what is going on.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

It's difficult to change the mindset when on the course, but I have noticed that I seem to play my best golf in match play. This seems to be by the fact that not every shot on every hole counts. I start match play on the basis that I will lose some holes, but overall I have confidence that I will win.

But give me a card in my hand and ask me to score for each hole....I feel the pressure. I have NR on a couple of comps early on, but then finished out the round, picking up my ball if it was contributing to slow play, but generally by the end of it, my game would have come back to life.

The thing I always have to fall back on is that I play golf for enjoyment, it is not my job so I use it to relax and have the fact that being a 17 handicapper I have shots to use!

Reinforce some basics-

Stand closer

Widen stance

Stand taller

Connect and relax arms

Swing like I'm throwing a baseball sidearm

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

hit REALLY short shots, club going back no further than parallel with ground.

That does it for me, short back swing long forward swing plus relaxing to the point of a little floppiness, soft grip etc.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you get out of a rut / bad place on a day when your game falls apart? How do you shake yourself back into focus and get over a bad shot?

When I come of the rails I simply try to remember the basics of my swing. I slow down, I have a smoke. I try to block distractions out. One shot at a time.

The other day my pal and I were playing a round at the simulator (its cold up here in 'sota) and about halfway through he totally fell apart. To his credit this has happened to him before on epic proportions. Once he loses it, its over and there is no getting it back. He would be best served to head to the clubhouse for a sandwich and a beer. At the end he kept saying, "I just wish this was over."

4 days later we attempted the sim again, after 3 holes he tapped out. Swing and confidence utterly destroyed.

I think for most of us our first instinct is to give advice when something like this happens but it rarely works for the person at the time.

This is a great area of discussion @ShawnPaul. As a competitive player who thrives on minimizing mistakes, the best token of advice I can give anyone regardless of ability is to always have a "band aide" go-to plan. When things go awry for me, I will lean towards utilizing a cutting shot shape and use my strongest club off the tee. Also, I will "up club" for approach shots to alleviate the stress of full swing errors, with iron and approach shots my "stressful" situation is always the 3/4 shot because it is a slower, shorter swing. I always keep in mind, particularly in a tournament that I have to allot myself a certain number of misses and bogies, also accepting that bogies do happen. For example, a 10-handicap theoretically will have anywhere from 7-13 holes of bogey or worse. Bogies are manageable but the doubles or worse are what get severely deflating. Staying focused on one hole at a time is helpful too. I used to get lost in the big picture too much and it derailed me early in rounds. There are 18 holes and I have to play all of them, so just because one is bad (even triple bogey) doesn't mean I can't have 17 more that are played alright.

I love checking back on this thread from time to time.

Some common themes are beer, slow the swing down, 3/4 swing and default to the club or clubs you hit best.

All great advice.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

During the round i don't change a thing. I try to hit the shot that give me the best opportunity to make a score. if i'm not playing well, yes i'll sometimes pick a more conservative line. Or i may lay up more often instead of risking it. But for the most part i pick a shot and hit it. The MOST IMPORTANT thing for me is to identify what the pattern is. What shot isn't working and where is the miss? And if possible what is the reason (this isn't always easy to do). So on the course nothing....maybe take some notes on what i think that's about it.

I think the golf swing is a series of habits. And the only way you break the bad ones is by creating good ones on the driving range.

I noticed that when my rounds starts heading the wrong way, I'm usually too much in my head, thinking about mechanics. When I catch myself, I come back by taking a deep breath and enjoying the scenery and what's around me. This sounds lame but I try to become one with my surroundings. (This is one of the main reasons I started walking the course vs carting it. Playing the game the way it was meant to be played.). Once I come back to nature, I focus on my target. Once I start focusing on my target and not on my mechanics, my body starts to feel the shot that wants to be played.

Tl:dr: I enjoy the natural environment, count my blessings and play the game.

This is good advice. I had a bad day yesterday and became so frustrated, I quit after nine holes. I'm 67 and my game is starting to show it. I've lost distance with all clubs but especially the driver. My hdcp has gone from 8 to 11. I recently retired and I'm playing three to four times a week. I usually shoot between 80 and 85,but I've had a few 88s and 89s of late. I think i'm over-analyzing things instead of enjoying still being able to play fairly well at my age.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that when my rounds starts heading the wrong way, I'm usually too much in my head, thinking about mechanics. When I catch myself, I come back by taking a deep breath and enjoying the scenery and what's around me. This sounds lame but I try to become one with my surroundings. (This is one of the main reasons I started walking the course vs carting it. Playing the game the way it was meant to be played.). Once I come back to nature, I focus on my target. Once I start focusing on my target and not on my mechanics, my body starts to feel the shot that wants to be played.

Tl:dr: I enjoy the natural environment, count my blessings and play the game.

This is good advice. I had a bad day yesterday and became so frustrated, I quit after nine holes. I'm 67 and my game is starting to show it. I've lost distance with all clubs but especially the driver. My hdcp has gone from 8 to 11. I recently retired and I'm playing three to four times a week. I usually shoot between 80 and 85,but I've had a few 88s and 89s of late. I think i'm over-analyzing things instead of enjoying still being able to play fairly well at my age.

My brother who has just turned 80 is playing to a 12 hcp. He was playing up to 4 x 18 hole rounds a week and his game turned to custard. He is now only playing once or twice a week and his game has turned to roses. I believe you can have too much golf.

(he still beats me anyway)

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I just won a 2 man scramble. I was using my bandaide plan B to play well. So yesterday I go to trying to play inside out and made a mess of the front nine and shot a 53!! Got some back and hit some nice shots on the back for a 43. Today I go out and from the range I start topping shanking and just sh*t. So I figure it will be better on the course. (**OH LET ME MENTION my clubs are being reshafted and I am playing with other clubs**)

and I had to pick up. I was going to record these rounds and its just a mess.

I think you CAN PLAY TOO MUCH, and I think BEER is important because during the tournament my partner and I drank a six pack over 18.

So I am going to wait till I get my clubs back on Thursday before I quit all together.

I just won a 2 man scramble. I was using my bandaide plan B to play well. So yesterday I go to trying to play inside out and made a mess of the front nine and shot a 53!! Got some back and hit some nice shots on the back for a 43. Today I go out and from the range I start topping shanking and just sh*t. So I figure it will be better on the course. (**OH LET ME MENTION my clubs are being reshafted and I am playing with other clubs**)

and I had to pick up. I was going to record these rounds and its just a mess.

I think you CAN PLAY TOO MUCH, and I think BEER is important because during the tournament my partner and I drank a six pack over 18.

So I am going to wait till I get my clubs back on Thursday before I quit all together.

Is that quitting playing or drinking?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Check out my store if you want to take a look at some simulators for unlimited practice!

I am a big proponent of: when times get tough on the golf course, go back to the mental game. Start to pay more attention to visualizing yourself hitting great shots over and over again. What typically happens when the scores start to creep up a bit is that your most recent memory of golf shots include negative visualization. Make things simple again, picture yourself hitting great golf shots, and then you will be surprised by how quickly things turn around!

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

I was just about to post something like this. I am a low single digit HC. Today was like any other day off. Hit the range to warm up before a round but all the sudden I literally could no hit a ball. It was worse than somebody who has never played before. I hit massive chunks, thin, shanks, ground before ball topped shots. My swing felt like it was weak and without control. Arms were like noodles and lower body was out of sync and doing all kinds of randomness. I've had bad days but this one was new. I just went home. I felt like I wanted to cry cuz I didn't know what was happening.

I know this is a mental situation but I don't know what it is or why it happens. I felt as if it was impossible to work through how bad things were so I just went home and started drinking.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I was just about to post something like this. I am a low single digit HC. Today was like any other day off. Hit the range to warm up before a round but all the sudden I literally could no hit a ball. It was worse than somebody who has never played before. I hit massive chunks, thin, shanks, ground before ball topped shots. My swing felt like it was weak and without control. Arms were like noodles and lower body was out of sync and doing all kinds of randomness. I've had bad days but this one was new. I just went home. I felt like I wanted to cry cuz I didn't know what was happening.

I know this is a mental situation but I don't know what it is or why it happens. I felt as if it was impossible to work through how bad things were so I just went home and started drinking.

Yikes, and you're not just making this up as a joke either? That's quite a turnaround in lack of proprioception for a low single digit handicapper (brain knowing where the ground is.) There is a ton of good advice on this thread and what you did sounds less like a cop out and more like a good break from the monotony of terrible ball striking. All I can add is something I've said before, which might work for you since it's likely all in your head anyway: your swing does not dramatically change from swing to swing (without consciously making it) So take heart that a day or two off golf could re-stimulate your golfing brain.