Raw Shaft length/trimming question

Hi all,

I am relatively new to contributing to the WRX forums (longtime lurker).

Anyways, I am in the process of building my first set of irons and have a question that I hope someone or multiple people can help me out with.

I am planning to rebuild my iron set with TT/DG S-300 taper shafts and want them to play 1" longer their previous length. (Note: I do not need them hard/soft-stepped).

The 6-iron i was playing was 37.5" long, stock from factory.

In looking online at vendors offering the shaft, I noticed that a replacement TTDGS300 6-iron shaft was listed at 38.5" on every site.

I guess my question is, if I wanted the 6-iron to play 38.5" would it really be as simple as just purchasing this 6-iron shaft at 38.5, epoxying it into the head and not needing to fuss with any butt-trimming? (I have never ordered raw length shafts and am wondering if I am missing something here!)

Again, I would appreciate any tips and advice - I've seen a lot of conflicting info surrounding the topic and figured a direct question would be best.

Thanks,

R

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That 38.5 listed length, especially if for a new shaft, is going to be the raw length. Butt trimming will still be needed. Most irons will add between 1" and 1 1/4" to the shaft length. The TM TP RAC irons I have shafted, and the Adams CMB have both added 1" to the length, so if I wanted a 38.5" playing length 6 iron, I would have the shaft at 37.5, thus a 38.5" shaft would require an inch to be trimmed.

That 38.5 listed length, especially if for a new shaft, is going to be the raw length. Butt trimming will still be needed. Most irons will add between 1" and 1 1/4" to the shaft length. The TM TP RAC irons I have shafted, and the Adams CMB have both added 1" to the length, so if I wanted a 38.5" playing length 6 iron, I would have the shaft at 37.5, thus a 38.5" shaft would require an inch to be trimmed.

thanks for the thoughts - I see what you mean on the raw v. assembled length differences